Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many players on one map?

thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

Sorry I haven't followed the news about this game at all, to scared I read how SOE is fucking it up again. The only and last news I read was how there are now classes...

But I have one simple question:

How many players can there be simultaneous on one map/zone/whatever?

And with map I mean like in Planetside 1 when there were 133 vs 133 vs 133 (even more in the beginning I understand) on one map, base even.

Comments

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

There aren't classes anymore than there were in ps1, only now you can be all roles on 1 char, sucks.

Player limits haven't yet been set but they were say atm they can get around 1k per side, but they're looking for more

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

They were throwing around the number of 2,000 players on one map, as in 2k players in a single battle. That maybe possible in theory but we'll have to wait for beta before we get an idea of what the real deal is going to be.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789
    Originally posted by Agricola1

They were throwing around the number of 2,000 players on one map, as in 2k players in a single battle. That maybe possible in theory but we'll have to wait for beta before we get an idea of what the real deal is going to be.

I read that number to but I assumed they meant on one server.

• KorrowanKorrowan Member Posts: 60
    Originally posted by thekid1

6000 players a server active at once.  All of the information is out ther eand outlined in depth.  In a few weeks all will be known as Higby got his hair cut yesterday so Beta is right around the corner.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by Korrowan

6000 players a server active at once.  All of the information is out ther eand outlined in depth.  In a few weeks all will be known as Higby got his hair cut yesterday so Beta is right around the corner.

I can't wait. Even if the beta comes around the time GW2 comes out, I'll have to go with Planetside 2 beta.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

2k per continent, 3 continents per server, so 6k per server.

Can 2k enter a single battle without the hamster keeling over? Perhaps.

Can a low end rig handle a 2k battle without collapsing? Depends on the graphics options and bandwidth.

They're all questions that we will have to wait to get the answer ...... I'm checking my inbox everyday!

I've just gone over the commentry on E3 and they only speak of 2k fighting on a continent and not 2k in a single battle on a small FPS size map. It will be interesting to see how many can participate in a single battle before the hamster dies.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

Can a low end rig handle a 2k battle without collapsing? Depends on the graphics options and bandwidth.

They're all questions that we will have to wait to get the answer ...... I'm checking my inbox everyday!

I've just gone over the commentry on E3 and they only speak of 2k fighting on a continent and not 2k in a single battle on a small FPS size map. It will be interesting to see how many can participate in a single battle before the hamster dies.

That is the part that is confusing to me.

I read about the 2000 on one map.

But I can't believe you can have 2000 players in one massive fight. So either maps are divided in zones or something else.

• sinni800sinni800 Member Posts: 26

But I can't believe you can have 2000 players in one massive fight. So either maps are divided in zones or something else.

This is the real deal. It was the same way in Planetside 1.

All the 2000 players can practically be on the same spot. But there will be several things to fight over at the same time so you will probably "only" see a few hundred at once, fighting close to you.

Only 3 continents btw? It was more in P1, but most were abandoned...

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620

Well on each continent you will probably have TR fighting NC, TR fighting VS, and NC fighting VS.  if it's anything like PS1 you will rarely see an instance where a large group of all three factions are all fighting over the same facility at the same time.

When I played PS1 you would often see instances where one faction was completely absent from certain continents, since there was 10 continents.  In PS2 since there is only three continents you will probably see all three factions on all three continents at all times, but the continents are said to be huge, far larger than PS1 continents, so it's entirely possible you will have three large fronts going on each continent at all times - a TR vs NC front, a TR vs VS front, and a NC vs VS front, combined with probably several smaller skirmishes going on at any given time.  Of course, it's not possible to say how exactly players will bahave until we actually get into the game.

• MalasorteMalasorte Member UncommonPosts: 56

yea 2k per map or even more ... they said thousands on a map but the only number was 2k per map ... now we'll see if the servers and our pcs handle 2k on a map ... i really hope the game plays smothly :)

I still don't believe there will be 2000 players on the same map.

What happens if they all decide to attack the same base?

Which happened frequently on Planetside 1 by the way.

I'm sure there will be stuff to prevent that so you won't have 2000 players in one massive fight.

Perhaps the maps work with poplocks and zones like in PS1. But now the maps are divided in regions and eachregion can hold a few hundred people.

Planetside 1 with its 133x133x133 has never been done again and that game is 10 years old. Your telling me SOE is so much ahead of the competition they can have 2000 players at once?

• ed_angered_anger Member UncommonPosts: 60

Beta is starting by the end of the month, find out then. But yes, the claim is 2000 people all in the same area. We will see.