Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Matt Higby speaks on anti-cheat measures ingame

2»

Comments

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130

Well I hope you guys are right about them really wanting Planetside 2 and their new engine to be a big hit...

I also hope they get some decent CS support and and develop a better reporting system then the one they used in Planetside 1.

I guess only time will tell, forgive me if im alittle jaded.. I have been burned by SOE more then once....

That didn't sound right, but there it is...

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• chaintmchaintm Member UncommonPosts: 953

Hacking in a fps will always happen because of one thing. When a client needs to contact a server and data is sent back and forth, those "packets" of data can be sniffed out. Once you have this, you have your start, you then watch those packets and see what values change during what actions happen. After a point you figure out what packet send does what. Then on and on.

Point being, any game is hackable as no game or program for that matter is perfect, a program is never done and this is in many cases the beauty of coding. However, in ps1, in gw1 and yes even in LoL there was and is hacking. ps1 blatent tele and one hits where rampant at one point. Gw1 had tele and leveling exploits. LoL had spell masteries hacks (was the most rescent) where a player could just spam the ability , it became so blatent that in almost every other game someone was flashing multiple locations in seconds. There are even videos up on it, go search youtube.

In the end, you will NEVER stop all hacks, but the deterants in most games are when you pay something. In Guild Wars if you got caught you lost your account , at the start that was 50 bucks and whatever time you spent leveling etc. In planetside 1 you paid for the game then your badges earned etc was the cost. In LoL the only thing you loose is your rank as it's free, no cost. Now if you hack and bought skins (spent real life money) then your a moron even more so :), but point to this all is that yes, hacking happens and yes, it very much worse in ftp models as there is "nothing" too loose.

Ftp but having an initial cost is a different story as explained above, but alas it still even happen in those games. Basicly the whole point to this thread is, that indeed if this game gets hacked badly enough as ps1 has been in the past, you bet they will feel the pain. The pain of dedicated ps1 players and more leaving in droves. No doubt those will be the ones more often then not willing to spend real life earnings to ehance their game play, not those that will hack their way to the top. (Not saying no hacker would not spend a dime, just probably *Guessing* majority wouldn't)

Time will tell as many have said and to this day even now, while I have signed up for beta, this thought that lingers in my head about the hackfest possiblities due to the ftp model really has made me loose interest in the whole concept. The ONLY thing that would change my mind about that is monthly subs would = dedicated montly servers, but I have a feeling that won't happen. We shall see thou.

PS. No, not techain sorry, I was xnode, guardious and Zyfer in ps1. Yes, I knew Tech and many of those you mention that where very good players.

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

• genjamie1genjamie1 Member Posts: 56
    and how do u know all this about hacking??? i dont even understand how hacking is possible
  • TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130
    Originally posted by chaintm

Hacking in a fps will always happen because of one thing. When a client needs to contact a server and data is sent back and forth, those "packets" of data can be sniffed out. Once you have this, you have your start, you then watch those packets and see what values change during what actions happen. After a point you figure out what packet send does what. Then on and on.

Point being, any game is hackable as no game or program for that matter is perfect, a program is never done and this is in many cases the beauty of coding. However, in ps1, in gw1 and yes even in LoL there was and is hacking. ps1 blatent tele and one hits where rampant at one point. Gw1 had tele and leveling exploits. LoL had spell masteries hacks (was the most rescent) where a player could just spam the ability , it became so blatent that in almost every other game someone was flashing multiple locations in seconds. There are even videos up on it, go search youtube.

In the end, you will NEVER stop all hacks, but the deterants in most games are when you pay something. In Guild Wars if you got caught you lost your account , at the start that was 50 bucks and whatever time you spent leveling etc. In planetside 1 you paid for the game then your badges earned etc was the cost. In LoL the only thing you loose is your rank as it's free, no cost. Now if you hack and bought skins (spent real life money) then your a moron even more so :), but point to this all is that yes, hacking happens and yes, it very much worse in ftp models as there is "nothing" too loose.

Ftp but having an initial cost is a different story as explained above, but alas it still even happen in those games. Basicly the whole point to this thread is, that indeed if this game gets hacked badly enough as ps1 has been in the past, you bet they will feel the pain. The pain of dedicated ps1 players and more leaving in droves. No doubt those will be the ones more often then not willing to spend real life earnings to ehance their game play, not those that will hack their way to the top. (Not saying no hacker would not spend a dime, just probably *Guessing* majority wouldn't)

Time will tell as many have said and to this day even now, while I have signed up for beta, this thought that lingers in my head about the hackfest possiblities due to the ftp model really has made me loose interest in the whole concept. The ONLY thing that would change my mind about that is monthly subs would = dedicated montly servers, but I have a feeling that won't happen. We shall see thou.

PS. No, not techain sorry, I was xnode, guardious and Zyfer in ps1. Yes, I knew Tech and many of those you mention that where very good players.

Great post! And I share your concerns about what could possibly happen and wishing they would have a montly fee or dedicated servers for players willing to pay it.

And Xnode and Zyfer sound very family.  I wanna say Zyfer was TR, but not sure.  I'm pretty sure Xnode was NC.  AMIRITE? :)

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• UOvetUOvet Member Posts: 514
    With the size and so many players around hackers shouldn't be much of an issue. If they have to keep making accounts they will eventually just fall behind and get slaughetered anyway I'd think. Unless there are hundreds of these guys running around in a spot I'm not too worried...yet.