Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just 10 skills or not?

Comments

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202
    Originally posted by arieste
    Originally posted by colddog04
     it's pretty strange to me that someone would be unable to adapt to the simplicity of the GW2 UI. In my opinion, it's slick and they should get some credit for what they accomplished with it.

It's a great UI for 10 abilities.  For more than 10, it's clunky.  If 10 skills were all i ever needed to use, I would have no issue adjusting. 

For example, TSW has pretty much the same UI - only instead of 10 skills, it is 7.  I have absolutely no issues with it, because I never need to use more than 7.     With GW2, using that 11th skill is where the UI fails for me.   

If you look at the EQ2 ui i posted, it's almost the same as GW2 also  (a few more buttons only).. the difference is that i have full control of the order of the buttons and full control of what's on those 2nd, 3rd, 4th hotbars that i ocassionally switch to.   If i want to put my nuke after my root in GW2, i can't because i have to click the switch toolbar button, then click the root, then click a DIFFERENT switch toolbar button, then hit my nuke... it's not very conducive to setting up skills in order that you'd want to use them.  I mean, ffs, it's not even the same button to switch toolbars every time or to switch back to the toolbar you had before.

That's because different skills come from different weapons, that's the whole idea of the combat in GW2. You can't just put skills of different weapons on your skillbar.

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

It sounds like you click the buttons to me. And yeah, is not a great UI for someone that clicks. I do understand your pain there and I understand that it does take a bit to adapt to using keybinds for 15+ skill from clicking.

I was actually thinking the same: "sounds like a clicker".

I'm a bit surprised that someone with such an impressive list of games played in his/her signature isn't able to adapt better to a new style of UI though.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by seridan
     that's the whole idea of the combat in GW2. You can't just put skills of different weapons on your skillbar.

Why not?   I use multiple weapons in other games and their abilities reside just fine on the same skillbar.  Some games have a button switch between the weapons before you can activate the skills and in some the skills themselves automatically trigger the weapon switch.  

I'm pretty sure GW2 expects you to use multiple weapons.. unless you're not supposed to.. in which case i was just playing the game wrong (which would explain why it felt so cumbersome).

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
     that's the whole idea of the combat in GW2. You can't just put skills of different weapons on your skillbar.

Why not?   I use multiple weapons in other games and their abilities reside just fine on the same skillbar.  Some games have a button switch between the weapons before you can activate the skills and in some the skills themselves automatically trigger the weapon switch.  

I'm pretty sure GW2 expects you to use multiple weapons.. unless you're not supposed to.. in which case i was just playing the game wrong (which would explain why it felt so cumbersome).

There's a cooldown on the weapon switch when you are in combat, and therefore you can not simply use any weapon skill at any time.

The whole combat system of GW2 is based on that weapon switching - what you suggest would completely change it (and in my opinion, ruin it). I doubt it will ever happen.

This said, everybody seems to agree with the ability to rearrange the skills on the bar like you want, which wouldn't hurt the combat model. But that's it.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

Yep. Different weapon skills provide different tools for different situations. If you only use one weapon, your character will not be as versatile as it could be. Being able to adapt to how the combat develops is essential though, so you're artificially limiting yourself by not using both weapon sets.

Originally posted by The_Korrigan

It sounds like you click the buttons to me. And yeah, is not a great UI for someone that clicks. I do understand your pain there and I understand that it does take a bit to adapt to using keybinds for 15+ skill from clicking.

I'm a bit surprised that someone with such an impressive list of games played in his/her signature isn't able to adapt better to a new style of UI though.

I'm able to adapt, i just find it extremely clunky.  Some games have good UIs and some have bad.  I wouldn't love or hate a game based on its UI (or techniically it's "controls" we're talking about not overall UIs). 

In terms of "clicking", i generally use keyboard for left side of my hotbars and mouse for right side in order to create a sort of "flow" to the combat... key - click - key - click - key - click .. obvoiusly not always 1 at a time.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO

Because each weapon has unique attack skills only. Each weapon set has 5 skills alone (5 for two-handed, 3 for mainhand, 2 for offhand) Each weapon set is balanced to perform a task. Also having lots of skillbars isn't perfect, I prefer to have 5 buttons mapped and use only those, I don't want to play a game again with multiple skillbars, it takes a little time to adapt to it but you can adapt if you stop thinking of clicking on your skills. If you remove the idea of clicking and play with your key-binds you will realise how much more manageable having only 5 skills can be. (10 with the swapping).

The only feature that's missing is rearranging the skills on the skillbar, like having the "teleport" skills on 3, the blinds on 2, the roots on 4 each, but no having multiple skillbars needlessly complicates things. Isn't it better to just press 1,2,3,4,5 (or any keybind) than having 20 different skillbinds?

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

There's a cooldown on the weapon switch, and therefore you can not simply use any weapon skill at any time.

The whole combat system of GW2 is based on that weapon switching - what you suggest would completely change it (and in my opinion, ruin it). I doubt it will ever happen.

I still don't understand how would it would "completely change" the system..  I'm not suggesting you get rid of the weapon switch cooldown... i'm fine with there being a cooldown, i just don't want to be forced to have my entire hotkey loadout to change just because I want to use one of my secondary weapon skills or an obscure emergency ability from my 4th Kit.

- Raph Koster

I don't want to play a game again with multiple skillbars

Well, that's my entire issue.  If i have a total of 30 skills,  this should take at most 3   10-button skillbars.

In GW2, if i have 30 skills i have:

Skillbar 1:  Weap 1 + Kit 1

Skillbar 2:  Weap 1 + kit 2

Skillbar 3:  Weap 1 + kit 3

Skillbar 4:  Weap 1 + kit 4

Skillbar 5:  Weap 2 + kit 1

Skillbar 6:  Weap 2 + kit 2

Skillbar 7:  Weap 2 + kit 3

Skillbar 8:  Weap 2 + kit 4

So a total of 8 different skillbars to memorize the layout of, when i could have just had 3 or 4.   The other problem is that each GW2 skillbar has a different buttons for switching back to a previous skillbar.. so the button to switch to "skillbar 1" is dependant on which skillbar you're currently on... anyhow... i guess i'm the only one that finds this inconvenient, so i'll just shut up now.

- Raph Koster

I don't want to play a game again with multiple skillbars

Well, that's my entire issue.  If i have a total of 30 skills,  this should take at most 3   10-button skillbars.

So a total of 8 different skillbars to memorize the layout of, when i could have just had 3 or 4.   The other problem is that each GW2 skillbar has a different buttons for switching back to a previous skillbar.. so the button to switch to "skillbar 1" is dependant on which skillbar you're currently on... anyhow... i guess i'm the only one that finds this inconvenient, so i'll just shut up now.

I think you were playing an engineer, engineers have the unique mechanic of "kits" which makes them a bit more confusing than other professions. When you switch weapon sets you got to press the same button all the time, however when you use a kit you click on the kit button.

The way weapon skills are handled you shouldn't have an issue because you unlock skills in order. While you use the weapon (and become accustomed to the skills it offers) you will unlock more skills. That way once you unlock the final skill, you should already have some knowledge of what each skills does. This is why having skills with similar functionality (eg teleport or bleeding) bound on the same skillslot (with rearranging) is important.

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

The way kits currently work IS kinda clunky. I also remember reading a Dev post saying they were taking a heavy look at that and other engi featutres for this coming BWE. We might be seeing some changes.

• MattVidMattVid Member Posts: 399

Technically, that isn't how it works in GW2. The Elementalist and Engineer (the two classes with a lot of extra choices) are not allowed to weapon swap in game. They can only have 1 set equipped at a time. So there are only half those available at any one time, compared to other classes having 2 weapon sets to swap around.

I am not big on the 80 buttons and 10 hatbars clogging up my whole screen like many games have. I much prefer the 10-15 useful skills that I will actually use on a regular basis. So far, I have definitely enjoyed the depth and skill involved in playing GW2 combat.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

People will get it eventually. I honestly never had time to get through all my weapon skills on my Mesmer, my skills would be in CD on my Staff, switch to GS, skills in cooldown...by the time that was done, all my Staff skills were up again. Throw in your utilities and I might not even need to switch for certain battles unless the situation calls for it.

Then in walks my Elementalist and my Engineer. I was actually overwhelmed with the amount of skills they had, fights are too fast-paced, and they begin and end too quickly, for you to have and need like 50 different skills. For my Ele I ended up toning it down, he was strictly Water/Earth, as the only time I ended up needing more than that (+ arcane active spells) was during large events/boss fights where I actually had time to switch through more elements before shit died.

I'm pretty sure at this point, most of the negativity is people speaking out their bums. You'd have more luck slapping your forehead against a brick wall. Don't even bother.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Epic1oots

so many skills, why cant it be as simple as wow.

Hmmm, simple as WoW, i remember my warrior tank being far from simple, most people failed to tank on warriors and then turned simple DPS.

Anyway, still think the system leaves us with a lot of wishes, like modding weaponskills and exchanging them with other skills 

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Originally posted by Epic1oots

so many skills, why cant it be as simple as wow.

Hmmm, simple as WoW, i remember my warrior tank being far from simple, most people failed to tank on warriors and then turned simple DPS.

Anyway, still think the system leaves us with a lot of wishes, like modding weaponskills and exchanging them with other skills 

Vanilla I'm guesing? Maybe some BC?

Since they removed a need for tanks to stance dance, port wars have gotten exceptionally easier. I practically slept through LK and Cata content. Actually got up and made a snack in the middle of a boss fight once, came back and I still had aggro and was alive.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

I'm able to adapt, i just find it extremely clunky.  Some games have good UIs and some have bad.  I wouldn't love or hate a game based on its UI (or techniically it's "controls" we're talking about not overall UIs). 

In terms of "clicking", i generally use keyboard for left side of my hotbars and mouse for right side in order to create a sort of "flow" to the combat... key - click - key - click - key - click .. obvoiusly not always 1 at a time.

I really don't think you'll have any problem with GW2. You can do what you have been doing, you just need to assign a hotkey to swap weapon sets, or you can just click the weapon swap icon next to the hotbar.

It becomes very smooth once you get used to it. I was always a combo hot button/ clicker like you, but for GW2 I use 100% button pushes. 1-5 left bar, 1-5+shift, with the +shift mapped to one of the side buttons on my mouse. Dodge mapped to the second side mouse button and middle mouse button click mapped for weapon swap. It's nice to not have to click any skills, while still having 15-40ish skills available, depending on profession. (Occassionaly, in the heat of a challenging battle, I'll mouse click a right bar skill or two, but I'm doing that less and less).

The timer on weapon swaps actually allows you to focus on one set of skills at a time, since you aren't having to swap back and forth rapidly between skills. I think the timer is about 8 seconds and it really creates a natural ebb and flow to combat. You'll learn to shift gears mentally based on what weapon is active.

It's actually the most elegant system I've ever experienced for a game with more than 5-10 skills and the learning curve isn't as steep as you may imagine.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

There's a cooldown on the weapon switch, and therefore you can not simply use any weapon skill at any time.

I still don't understand how would it would "completely change" the system..  I'm not suggesting you get rid of the weapon switch cooldown... i'm fine with there being a cooldown, i just don't want to be forced to have my entire hotkey loadout to change just because I want to use one of my secondary weapon skills or an obscure emergency ability from my 4th Kit.

That's how the game works. When you swap your weapon skills for another weapon set, or by using a kit/conjure/elite or profession ability that swaps out your 1-5 skills, the cooldown timer on the previous 1-5 skill set requires you to change your focus in response to changing the "tool" you are wielding. You are never using one skill on weapon A, swapping immediately to weapon B for another skill, swapping right back to weapon a for another skill or two, etc... Occassionally there will be some combo of two skills on seperate weapons that require button push, weapon swap, button push, but for the most part the synergies actually reside with in the skills for a particular weapon and swapping weapons is like swapping gears.

The most "acrobatic" skill sequence possible might see you making three or four rapid weapon swaps, for, say, an elementalist that wants to cast a skill from each attunement one after the other, but I never found that necassary or even useful. Weapons/kits/etc... tend to be situational and you tend to swap your 1-5 skills because something about the battle at hand is requiring you to shift your approach.

Some professions work best doing weapon swaps between a primary and secondary skill set as a routine element, in order to overcome the cooldown timers on the primary weapon skills, but even then most normal battles either require no swaps, or a single swap. I played an Elementalist to level 32 and I found that most of my time was spent in one attunement, (in my case, Fire), with a secondary attunement for longer battles. I only had to dip into the other two attunements in response to unusual situations and even then, it was more likely that I changed the combination of two attunements I would swap between, rather than working through three or four attunements in one fight.

The additional skills are like having a couple extra "bags of tricks" that you can dip into under unusual circumstances. I have yet to encounter any build where I would want to swap between more than two sets of 1-5 skills as part of a normal skill rotation. In fact, set skill rotations only tend to play out in the most mundane battles, as a result of laziness. More involved battles tend to reward situational thinking and swappable weapon sets give you additional ways to react to various situations with out having to continually hunt for some rarely used skill out of 30 on your screen! You tend to swap to a weapon or kit in reaction to a situation because of the mix of skills that places on your 1-5 keys, rather than for a singular skill among the five.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• freegamesfreegames Member UncommonPosts: 240

With the actives there are more than enough skills in fact with all these mobas with under 6 skills it is so easy to play.

Guild wars works out regardless of skills as the energy is important.

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123

Is just amazing how people elaborate theories trying to justify the gameplay in gw2 as something ¨hard¨ or ¨complex¨, i have played the last 2 BW,  GW2 is just easy from any point of view, my 10 years old nephew can play gw2 but he cant play a game like swtor, war or any other MMO with more than 5 skills. GW2 is all about ¨press 1¨ run, wait for long CDs, and run around ur target while u drink something., then use ur CDs, Press 1 and repeat.    

• lorashly666lorashly666 Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

I have met many people still thinking a GW2 build consists out of just 10 skills?

well, not really, i have a defensive Elementalist crowd controll build, that has 34 active skills, from which 12 are crowd controlls.   Every class has atleast 16 active skills, and some can have a lot more.

The game allows people like me, that love gameplay consisting out of a long chain of tactical dessigines to go really wild with things.

true and for ele it have more than 20 skills

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365
    Originally posted by hikaru77

Is just amazing how people elaborate theories trying to justify the gameplay in gw2 as something ¨hard¨ or ¨complex¨, i have played the last 2 BW,  GW2 is just easy from any point of view, my 10 years old nephew can play gw2 but he cant play a game like swtor, war or any other MMO with more than 5 skills. GW2 is all about ¨press 1¨ run, wait for long CDs, and run around ur target while u drink something., then use ur CDs, Press 1 and repeat.    

i don't think anyone has claimed it was hard to play.

it is downright easy to play, such that a 10 year old could do it.

but i'll beat that 10 year old 10 times out of 10 i would wager.  i would beat you 10 times out of 10 as well if you're playing the same way as him.

• maddbomber83maddbomber83 Member Posts: 422
    Originally posted by DJJazzy

I see that you are counting summoned weapons as more skills. That is stretching it I think.

In my view, once you have everything unlocked, you have 25 skills as an elementalist.

Kinda, as an example though, things like the Elemental and Heal also change what they do based off your element.  You may discount this at first, but with that Elemental ability, I can decide to summon a tank earth one or use a different play style and go air ele.

The heal I'll often use with the air for speed but swap to water for more heals or earth if I'm anticipating damage.  One skill, 4 elements.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by maddbomber83
    Originally posted by DJJazzy

I see that you are counting summoned weapons as more skills. That is stretching it I think.

In my view, once you have everything unlocked, you have 25 skills as an elementalist.

Kinda, as an example though, things like the Elemental and Heal also change what they do based off your element.  You may discount this at first, but with that Elemental ability, I can decide to summon a tank earth one or use a different play style and go air ele.

The heal I'll often use with the air for speed but swap to water for more heals or earth if I'm anticipating damage.  One skill, 4 elements.

I didnt even take the utillity skills that change based on your elemental attunement intoo account.

And yes, i took the 5 skills that you get from a summoned weapon intoo account, If the summon skill has a CD from 60 secconds, how are these skills any different from a normal skill that has 60 secconds CD?

And its not only Elementalists, NEcros and Guardians also have forms that give you 5 new weapon skills when in this form. Or the necro deathshroud, when you attune to it, gives also different skills.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• Redfeather75Redfeather75 Member UncommonPosts: 230

I think GW is supposed to be inspired by Magic the card game.
    So you have lots of skills to choose from, but you have to find ways of getting past the limitations of only being allowed to carry 10 at a time. So it motivates people to find synergies between skill combinations.

• mearimeari Member Posts: 101
    Originally posted by hikaru77

Oh look it's hikaru again, guess what, there's no potion in GW2.

Stop trying, after the number of fails you've attempts I almost feel for you.