Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gamespot Review

123457»

Comments

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722

[mod edit]

Sorry, but the combat is boring. Pointing to a few boss fights does not make the rest of the generic mobs any less boring in combat.

The world is static. Filled with mannequin npcs. In 2012 I expect better. Furthermore I don't find the world all that believable as it is presented.

Content is on the low side and lacks replayability.

So a 7.5 is rather deserving in my opinion. 

• muthaxmuthax Member UncommonPosts: 703

How is disagreeing with your opinion and stating that it might be bbuilt upon a lack of knowledge of the game mechanisms, being a fanboi? Or a troll for what that matters?

• muthaxmuthax Member UncommonPosts: 703

I don't know where you stopped playing (maybe the early first area?) but I found the combat entertaining and complex and all fights were as exciting. But I swapped decks, moved a lot, studied the mobs and got to Savage Coast (but alread the second half of Kingsmouth was intriguing). Many people are still used to wow style combat.

The rest of your opinions are mostly ..opinions. Very subjective and personal. I find the opposite myself

How is the world static? It's full of roaming mobs. NPC have fantastic dialofs (if you bother listening and don't skip everything. There is plenty of horizontal growth. Plenty of content if you are taking in the game the way it is supposed to be played, like a story.

But you know what they say about opinions

• Preacher26Preacher26 Member UncommonPosts: 381

There is a big difference between actual "Combat" and "Combat Animations".

If you are bashing TSWs actual combat then please tell me what MMORPG your playing atm? The only MMOs I have played without this type combat is AoC, Tera and MO/DFO.

I would say the actual combat is a step ahead of most mainstream games.

• BloodyVikingBloodyViking Member UncommonPosts: 132

Static world. Ok, thats kind of true. But show me what other MMO the last 12 years is not static. Mob spawns are mostly static in -all- the games that comes to mind. In TSW there are roaming mobs also, so environmentaly its not static. In terms of landchange/phasing, yes its static. But I would say thats a good thing the way its done. WoW's phasing system is (imo) very bad as it segments a zone into different accessible areas which makes it near impossible to help friends who are behind you on the quest-curve.

BUT, it also remains to be seen how static the world will be over time since Funcom has the opportunity to change/add/remove things in all the zones to show an advancement in world time and the impact players has on the setting.

I think TSW comes out much more solid in all aspects of gameplay compared to other 2011/2012 released MMOs.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    I'm a fan of the game and I think a 7 score is fair.The game is good, but it needs work, like any other MMO at launch.
  • JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

I thought the review was spot on. I tried one of the beta weekends and while there are a ton of good things about the game the movement and combat just ruined it for me otherwise. The combat was just horrible on my character.  If it had not been for that I would be playing it right now, but it is hard to play a game when I hate every second of the combat. Animations sucked also in my opinion but that and a oca sional bug I could have lived with.

I miss DAoC

• unclemounclemo Member UncommonPosts: 462

Who the hell cares about review scores anyways?  Especially if you're used to MMORPG's review scores where EVERY game gets an eight.   Okay, okay some get a six or a seven.

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

The Good

• Creepy and unique modern-day setting invites you to explore  
    • Intricate writing and lore entries draw you into the ongoing narrative  
    • Investigation quests are an intellectual change of pace  
    • Open-ended combat system allows for experimentation  
    • Fantastic sound design.

The Bad

• Movement and combat are floaty and unsatisfying  
    • Unacceptable quest bugs and execution flaws lead to major frustrations  
    • Disappointing player-versus-player

Aren't these the exact same things that a lot of people were saying on the forums once the NDA was dropped? I think the review is quite fair.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990
    Originally posted by xenpt
    well i played the game i dint play much i just went to level 8 / 9 and and just the gameplay was horrible for me.
    [mod edit]

What does that even mean? Went to level 8/9? Are you talking QL?

Anyways not that I support you getting flamed but your earlier comment in another thread or maybe it was this one saying this has the worst gameplay you've even seen in an mmo deserved some debate.

As for you not liking the game? Big whoop, no reason to get into it over that. Different strokes for different folks and all...

As for you tares, I'm done if you think that boss is simply a tank and spank. Clearly your odd fascination with slamming this game has clouded your objectivity completely so really no point in going further.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• AratakiArataki Member UncommonPosts: 239
    Originally posted by muthax

No it's stating  a well known ,universal fact

It's well proven and documented that people who say combat suck haven't got a clue, they are fighting with one weapon, they never change deck, often stay put and go through a rotation.

Nice try though

To elaborate more:if I buy a 1200€ camera and then start takignshots against the sun, I can't complain that all the photos are coming out overexposed and the camera sucks...

you don't like the game, fine, it's your opinion, but if you elaborate on why you don't like the game you have to do it without lies and misconceptions

1st of all im not a GW2 fanboy i like the game but there are some aspects that well is not so great like all games.

[mod edit]

There are no levels. QL level 8/9 would be late Egypt, a zone that was not available in the BWEs. And it takes a bit a time to get there. So "not playing much" plus use of the term "levels" in a game that doesn't have traditional levels = You undermining your own argument.

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by Arataki
    Originally posted by muthax

No it's stating  a well known ,universal fact

It's well proven and documented that people who say combat suck haven't got a clue, they are fighting with one weapon, they never change deck, often stay put and go through a rotation.

Nice try though

To elaborate more:if I buy a 1200€ camera and then start takignshots against the sun, I can't complain that all the photos are coming out overexposed and the camera sucks...

you don't like the game, fine, it's your opinion, but if you elaborate on why you don't like the game you have to do it without lies and misconceptions

1st of all im not a GW2 fanboy i like the game but there are some aspects that well is not so great like all games.

2nd - you are a troll in every sense.

There are no levels. QL level 8/9 would be late Egypt, a zone that was not available in the BWEs. And it takes a bit a time to get there. So "not playing much" plus use of the term "levels" in a game that doesn't have traditional levels = You undermining your own argument.

Your gear level is basically your level in tsw.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990
    Originally posted by DaezAster

If that is even what he meant. Not like it is really clear the way he worded it.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• AratakiArataki Member UncommonPosts: 239
    Originally posted by DaezAster
    Originally posted by Arataki

Which I already took into account by the VERY NEXT SENTENCE. Point still stands.