Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gamespot Review

Comments

• chaod1984chaod1984 Member Posts: 271
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly
    Originally posted by tares

SWTOR prabably released more content in the first 6 months than TSW will be abe to in 6 months.  You can't really knock SWTOR as it has way more players today. discounting the free week going on now.

SWTOR has better combat, the warzones are better designed, and it has raids. not the best but it has more to keep players than TSW does.

SWTOR story which was their main focus wasn't near as entertaining as this game. Far as updates go no one knows whether they will do a good job at this or not. Neither game has combat to brag about so really a wash there. PvP is pretty much even although it doesn't appear they'll have to revamp it completely like SWTOR is doing far as their "end game" PvP play. Not to mention the game world design of TSW doesn't seem to make it as single player intensive as people appear to be grouping for even single player material. Which is ironic considering SWTOR had more group oriented content.

So really overall the only thing SWTOR has over TSW is raids. I'll take the superior story telling over that.

Keep trying though. You're bound to get somewhere eventually with as much as you try.

Assuming they stick to their plans this game has a lot more up side than SWTOR. Which is something I never would have believed and laughed off if someone said before I tried both games out for myself.

I'll double up on this and say:

- Mob AI in TSW is about 200% better than the Mob AI in SWTOR

- Quests in TSW are by far superior to SWTOR's grindfest with dialogue

- You can count on the fact that TSW will have raids way before the 6 month period.  Funcom is kinda known for and founded the instanced dungeon and don't have a single MMO out that doesnt have Raids....and the raids in AoC are some of the hardest/best Ive done, so that point is pointless.

You can't compare the two games....TSW is in a league of it's own....it's a different MMO...there is no use comparing it to anything...

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788

Score sounds about right to me. I give it a soft 8 at this point. We all know swtor was well huped and has that IP that generates excitement. Just the star wars theme music will get a fan hyped. Plus they gave a voice to a mostly mute genre. mmo's in the past have often made me feel like I'm playing a super nintendo game with all the text dialogs. This game also doesn't make the best first impression with the lacking cc and your character being mute in tsw it can throw some off especially at first, I for one got used to it but it did bother me when I started the game. Combat is still the same as it was in beta, I didnt notice any new animations replacing the "place holders". It does lack a certain amount of style with the combat which makes it less enertaining and when the highlight is great quests and that ellement is plagued with bugs and funky mechanics well. I was more suprised at how many users gave it 9's and better.

• sycofiendsycofiend Member UncommonPosts: 129
    Originally posted by chaod1984

SWTOR prabably released more content in the first 6 months than TSW will be abe to in 6 months.  You can't really knock SWTOR as it has way more players today. discounting the free week going on now.

SWTOR has better combat, the warzones are better designed, and it has raids. not the best but it has more to keep players than TSW does.

SWTOR story which was their main focus wasn't near as entertaining as this game. Far as updates go no one knows whether they will do a good job at this or not. Neither game has combat to brag about so really a wash there. PvP is pretty much even although it doesn't appear they'll have to revamp it completely like SWTOR is doing far as their "end game" PvP play. Not to mention the game world design of TSW doesn't seem to make it as single player intensive as people appear to be grouping for even single player material. Which is ironic considering SWTOR had more group oriented content.

So really overall the only thing SWTOR has over TSW is raids. I'll take the superior story telling over that.

Keep trying though. You're bound to get somewhere eventually with as much as you try.

Assuming they stick to their plans this game has a lot more up side than SWTOR. Which is something I never would have believed and laughed off if someone said before I tried both games out for myself.

I'll double up on this and say:

- Mob AI in TSW is about 200% better than the Mob AI in SWTOR

- Quests in TSW are by far superior to SWTOR's grindfest with dialogue

- You can count on the fact that TSW will have raids way before the 6 month period.  Funcom is kinda known for and founded the instanced dungeon and don't have a single MMO out that doesnt have Raids....and the raids in AoC are some of the hardest/best Ive done, so that point is pointless.

You can't compare the two games....TSW is in a league of it's own....it's a different MMO...there is no use comparing it to anything...

Mob AI in both games is close to zero,  Boss AI was much better in SWTOR.  SWTOR had a lot of raid bosses by 3 months on top of hard modes and the once and done class story bosses.  SWTOR's raids where Buggy but I would expect the same from TSW.  SWTOR had 16 man raids, TSW is 10 so not much of a raid.  SWTOR had more developers to produce content, is why I feel safe in saying they could release more.

Quests are about the same, some of the stories and quests in SWTOR have much better writing.  All the writing in TSW was stoic or cliche.  SWTOR had one issue due to the Star Wars IP which wouldn't allow much creative liscense.  The imperial agent story was better than the main questline of TSW though.  Smuggler was more humorous. Which leads to another longevity point, many SWTOR players have multiple alts. TSW had the writing edge due to dialog options and some choices that can change a story.

TSW is the same old, SWTOR has guns, magic, and blades and despite happening a long time ago in a far away place it is very modern. I spent around 95% of my time in TSW doing the same thing I do in all MMOs, kill some mob for a quest or pick up something.

Is no reason to compare, TSW is just a bellow average MMO, as was pointed out in the first post. Most MMOs get 8-9/10 scores. I already played through the game but if I was on the fence, a sub 8 review average will keep me away.  TSW advertises at those sites, so gets a $$$ bump.

So wait a second, TSW is the same old same old, but SW:TOR is different because it has guns, blades and magic .. umm...  uuuh.... how do I even respond to this ?

What game are you actually talking about when you say TSW,   to quote Inyego Montoya "I do not think TSW means what you think it means"

• EscafandroEscafandro Member Posts: 12

Originally posted by mindw0rk
    Originally posted by colddog04
    Originally posted by mindw0rk
    Any reviewer that gives it less then 9 is stupid and incompetent in my list.

So out of 16 reviewers currently on Metacritic, 15 are stupid and incompetent.

Maybe that's true, but I don't think so.

Yes. I'm game journalist myself and writing review atm (russian). It gets 9.5 score and the headline of the best MMORPG since WoW

Lol

Dude...I'm loving this game but it deserves nowhere near a 9.5.

Well played though

To be fair it deserves, in Russia the ratings are 1-14 though.
  • tarestares Member Posts: 381
    Originally posted by sycofiend
    Or

So wait a second, TSW is the same old same old, but SW:TOR is different because it has guns, blades and magic .. umm...  uuuh.... how do I even respond to this ?

What game are you actually talking about when you say TSW,   to quote Inyego Montoya "I do not think TSW means what you think it means"

Both games are the same old, they bring nothing new to the MMO formula.  Grind quests/mobs get loot and XP.  Setting doesn't change anything is my point as it is cosmetic. WoW has guns too ;p

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990

Mob AI in both games is close to zero,  Boss AI was much better in SWTOR.  SWTOR had a lot of raid bosses by 3 months on top of hard modes and the once and done class story bosses.  SWTOR's raids where Buggy but I would expect the same from TSW.  SWTOR had 16 man raids, TSW is 10 so not much of a raid.  SWTOR had more developers to produce content, is why I feel safe in saying they could release more.

Quests are about the same, some of the stories and quests in SWTOR have much better writing.  All the writing in TSW was stoic or cliche.  SWTOR had one issue due to the Star Wars IP which wouldn't allow much creative liscense.  The imperial agent story was better than the main questline of TSW though.  Smuggler was more humorous. Which leads to another longevity point, many SWTOR players have multiple alts. TSW had the writing edge due to dialog options and some choices that can change a story.

TSW is the same old, SWTOR has guns, magic, and blades and despite happening a long time ago in a far away place it is very modern. I spent around 95% of my time in TSW doing the same thing I do in all MMOs, kill some mob for a quest or pick up something.

Is no reason to compare, TSW is just a bellow average MMO, as was pointed out in the first post. Most MMOs get 8-9/10 scores. I already played through the game but if I was on the fence, a sub 8 review average will keep me away.  TSW advertises at those sites, so gets a $$$ bump.

Mob AI is the same. So is the boss AI so as usual you're full of it. Actually there are some that surpass what I have seen in SWTOR.

Quests and the stories are a matter of opinion. Frankly I found SWTOR's to be about as cliche and predictable as you can get. Oh yeah, and the smuggler one sucked beyond belief. How you can say that was great is beyond me.

If TSW is the same old then so is SWTOR. We even already had a Star Wars game so how is it anything remotely new?

You spend your time doing the same thing in both games to an extent esepcially considerning your complaint. Becuase they're both mmos. Shocking I know. At least SWTOR has investigation quests. Love how you balk about the killing in this game yet somehow it was magical in SWTOR and other games apparently.

Unfortunately, I think your first attempt was better. :(

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• eyceleycel Member Posts: 1,334

I offer one simple plain pieace of advice, dont use that crappy shit site, I learnt long ago gamespot doesn't deserve to be spoken by my vocal cords.

Mob AI is the same. So is the boss AI so as usual you're full of it. Actually there are some that surpass what I have seen in SWTOR.

You don't need a huge white marker on the ground to know when to avoid stuff in SWTOR,  the scripting and animations where better in SWTOR, fight mechanics aside from timed enrage.   I'm not a SWTOR fan, I played it a few months but found it to be tailered to the super casual players. Even worse is the; everyone is a winner philosophy where itemozation in SWTOR is supposed to be the same for everyone. WoW is rumored to be like that.  In SWTOR you can custom both the stats and appearacne of your gear like SWTOR.

Darkside scoundrel was a funny story and whatever the word means to make fun of itself. movies do it a lot. The morality system is what Bioware was founded on, EA killed the quality but you can't blast SWTOR's story, any of those class stories aside from jedi shadow was well done and would have made a great single player RPG.

• AcvivmAcvivm Member UncommonPosts: 323

According to Xfire I have put in about 46 hours into the game so far and I have to agree with Kevin Van Ord on the 7.5 score. The game is definitely different and enjoyable but there are a number of things that really sour the experience that were easy to look past at first, but over time just become frustrating.

My biggest complaint overall is the combat, once I started getting into Blue Mountain it started to feel a little tedious. Some missions require dozens upon dozens of kills to complete and after a while it just gets very tiresome. The transition from Savage Coast to Blue Mountain is pretty brutal damage and health wise, until I was able to start getting further into the second tier of abilities and higher weapon skill points was I able to start making real progress.

Another problem that I can agree with the review on, is the number of bugged quests I ran into and sometimes its hard to tell if the quest is just bugged or if I'm just not getting the clue. He also makes a good point about people interfering with quest objectives and making things way harder then they should be, took me like 20 mins to finish the second to last tier in the "black house" quest because people kept trying to click on the Urn and kept getting people killed, even after telling them to wait for others to complete theirs so we can get it done.

I will most definitely continue playing until GW2 comes out but after that I'm not sure, guess I will have to wait to see what kind of content they are planning. They definitely need to start ironing out the bugs and start getting the little things working like the group chat for instance, been a few days now since I have been able to chat in group. Once they start nailing down the small things it will help make the experience a lot less fustrating.

HEAVEN OR HELL
    Duel 1
    Lets ROCK!

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990

You don't need a huge white marker on the ground to know when to avoid stuff in SWTOR,  the scripting and animations where better in SWTOR, fight mechanics aside from timed enrage.   I'm not a SWTOR fan, I played it a few months but found it to be tailered to the super casual players. Even worse is the; everyone is a winner philosophy where itemozation in SWTOR is supposed to be the same for everyone. WoW is rumored to be like that.  In SWTOR you can custom both the stats and appearacne of your gear like SWTOR.

Darkside scoundrel was a funny story and whatever the word means to make fun of itself. movies do it a lot. The morality system is what Bioware was founded on, EA killed the quality but you can't blast SWTOR's story, any of those class stories aside from jedi shadow was well done and would have made a great single player RPG.

I don't recall any mob fights in SWTOR like for example the final one in Polaris and not every mechanic has a "white marker" on the ground. Again as I already said you're full of it. This isn't to say TSW's are anything revolutionary. Just that your shtick is bs.

The stories in SWTOR were bland and predictable for the most part far as I'm concerned and frankly for those that were displeased with it I'm tired of everything being blamed on EA. BW are the main ones that should actually get the blame for that game much as people like to dump on EA.

Anyways, as for SWTOR I actually enjoyed it. I got a few months out of it like I expected I would. I expect the same with this game. If I get more than yay me. I'm well awawre of TSW's shortcomings and it certainly has some. Main gist for me is the fact you tend to embellish to the point of verging on lying or simply bring up stuff because for some odd reason this game really gets to you.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

I don't recall any mob fights in SWTOR like for example the final one in Polaris and not every mechanic has a "white marker" on the ground. Again as I already said you're full of it. This isn't to say TSW's are anything revolutionary. Just that your shtick is bs.

The stories in SWTOR were bland and predictable for the most part far as I'm concerned and frankly for those that were displeased with it I'm tired of everything being blamed on EA. BW are the main ones that should actually get the blame for that game much as people like to dump on EA.

Anyways, as for SWTOR I actually enjoyed it. I got a few months out of it like I expected I would. I expect the same with this game. If I get more than yay me. I'm well awawre of TSW's shortcomings and it certainly has some. Main gist for me is the fact you tend to embellish to the point of verging on lying or simply bring up stuff because for some odd reason this game really gets to you.

Neither is very good for different reasons but here is the example you gave

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvodE0T8pzE looks as boring as it was when I played, standard tank and spank, move away from white markers. Everything is tank or kite and spank, SWTOR required strats and besides the enrage timers everyone had to be doing the right thing. SWTOR has some puzzles going on with some of the boss fights too.

After playing SWTOR, then Tera, I was surprised how much the quality of group instances had dropped.

Here are some small team SWTOR:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfYIOXMUbVk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qUtHxL6pHM

4 man instance: D7 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvpw8oGeQss&feature=relmfu

• The_GamblesThe_Gambles Member Posts: 25

Gamespot lost all credibility a long long time ago. This Kevin guy is the same guy that gave SWTOR an 8 out of 10 only to give TSW a 7.5. I by no means believe TSW is an amazing game but it is damn sure as hell better than SWTOR.

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643
    Originally posted by JayZas

Gamespot lost all credibility a long long time ago. This Kevin guy is the same guy that gave SWTOR an 8 out of 10 only to give TSW a 7.5. I by no means believe TSW is an amazing game but it is damn sure as hell better than SWTOR.

I agree, but if I was a Star Wars fanatic I probably wouldn't.  It's the whole opinion thing is subjective.  I think the score is a little low, but at least it wasn't a four or five - which is what a couple of the blog sites gave it on metacritic.

• newbinatornewbinator Member Posts: 780

7.5 is not an awful score. Stop raging.

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919

I don't know how relevant this post will be, but what I generally do regarding metacritic scores is to simply take the overall score of the "official" reviews and the score of the User reviews and assume that the true score for the game being rated is somewhere in between. It doesn't really address things such as bias and stupid/flawed reasoning, but it does give a much better idea of what the game is really like as opposed to just listening to the viewpoint of one person.

I will not deny that both official and user reviews suffer from bias and often times incredibly stupid reasons for giving a certain score, but for all of the nonsense, there are kernels of truth here and there.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

7.5 is a good score (enjoy the game very much)

It's most of the 9 and 9.5/10 for games that I think are totally bogus. To me there are only a couple of those a decade.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

SILENCE! METACRITIC HAS SPOKEN!

Siiiiiiiiiilence.........!

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    Originally posted by Caldrin

Yeah not the best review in the world really.. hell somehow they managed to give SWTOR an 8 LOL..

I have gone off gamespot for reviews this year a lot of them have been well off the mark..

I mean i have no idea what he means about the combat i think its just as good as any other tab target system out there.. you tab target and press buttons its as simple as that... if hes marking it down on that then he needs to do the saem for all MMORPGs that use a tab target system. and floaty? no idea what he means by that LOL..

Quest bugs? game has been out like a week and most quest bugs have been patched out..

Disapointing PVP? really? its got some of the best themepark pvp i have ever played.. yes it could be better it coudl be open world pvp with full loot.. but compared to other themepark games it pretty good..

Ah well each to their own :)

He explained in the review the exact problem he had with the combat, which doesn't have anything to do with the tab-targeting. It is fine to disagree with his reasoning, but you shouldn't act like it isn't there.

Originally posted by laserit

It's most of the 9 and 9.5/10 for games that I think are totally bogus. To me there are only a couple of those a decade.

Thats the problem. With so many 8-9's out there and with people actually tuning into gamespot for the numbers. Who has time for 7-7.5.  No it shouldn't be a bad score. But they have made it that by over rating games.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

Thats the problem. With so many 8-9's out there and with people actually tuning into gamespot for the numbers. Who has time for 7-7.5.  No it shouldn't be a bad score. But they have made it that by over rating games.

I kinda see where you are coming from, but right below that 7.5 it says "good."  Which is what TSW is to the reviewer, a good game.  Not a great game, but a good one.  I tend to agree that there has been a metric sh#ton of of score inflation everywhere though making a 7.5 look "bad."  The description he gave of the combat is the main reason I didn't buy it after playing in CB for a while.  Everything else about the gave is way above average though, in my opinion.

Edit:  I am very glad to see it getting such good user reviews, though.  I am a bit tired of mmos getting unrealisticly bad user scores.

Those games have higher production values, more stuff, etc. I am in an American school and anyone who gets a C or less has issues.A 7.5 or 75 is a C. If you get lower than a C you have to repeat core classes to graduate.

I'm supprised an MMO would release today without much thought to combat, this is why the game rated so poorly.

To be fair, these early reviews are judging the game like they would a regular game: combat, mechanics, story, etc. like a single player RPG.

TSW doesn't have much past a short single player RPG, if you take more than 100 hours finishing everything something is wrong. I took 70 in beta.   Not including if you repeat stuff, such as instances. It has been two weeks and many are finished everything, instances are getting beat on the hardest setting every day.

I would hope the MMO score would be much lower than 7.5. poor combat, worst PvP in years, no raids.  skills and passives are not balanced.  Story is an xfile rip off and many of the quest are. many quest are the same old kill 30 of these for 4 tiers.

So why was this game made? The lead developer is no stephen king, his writing is cliche, there are no options and fewer voice overs than SWTOR.  most quest are green that have no voice over, is why you can have 3 of them.  Everquest 2 had more voice acting.

Those games have higher production values, more stuff, etc. I am in an American school and anyone who gets a C or less has issues.A 7.5 or 75 is a C. If you get lower than a C you have to repeat core classes to graduate.

I'm supprised an MMO would release today without much thought to combat, this is why the game rated so poorly.

To be fair, these early reviews are judging the game like they would a regular game: combat, mechanics, story, etc. like a single player RPG.

TSW doesn't have much past a short single player RPG, if you take more than 100 hours finishing everything something is wrong. I took 70 in beta.   Not including if you repeat stuff, such as instances. It has been two weeks and many are finished everything, instances are getting beat on the hardest setting every day.

I would hope the MMO score would be much lower than 7.5. poor combat, worst PvP in years, no raids.  skills and passives are not balanced.  Story is an xfile rip off and many of the quest are. many quest are the same old kill 30 of these for 4 tiers.

So why was this game made? The lead developer is no stephen king, his writing is cliche, there are no options and fewer voice overs than SWTOR.  most quest are green that have no voice over, is why you can have 3 of them.  Everquest 2 had more voice acting.

SWTOR didn't have anything past a short story campaign. The combat was and still is bland. The PvP was commented on many of times as being god awful and unbalanced. They used the same type of Skill Tree Arc as WoW. Same Grindy go there kill 10 of these do this do that.

The graphics were often commented on as being poor, they took the hero engine (I believe it was?) modded the crap out of it themselves and it looked horrid. People on the SWTOR forum said this for christ sake. Plus it ran bad on most pc's for not looking that amazing.

You made decisions that yes, but they had little to no bearing. With the dark/light only effecting your appearance slightly. The zones all felt detached even more so with the long loads as many reviewers pointed out. The space combat was tacked on and not much fun at all.

On top of all that it wasn't even an original idea just a game based on star wars (I love star wars and wanted to love SWTOR). 

On top of that I seem to remember my guild having lots of trouble with bugs all through the game ecspecialy in end game raids. Problems with loot disapearing, bosses difficulty being bugged and some other things.

And most of everything you just explained applied to SWTOR also plus even more stuff. Are you really a fan of the exciting SWTOR combat? or the skill trees? or the pvp? or the end game? or the short story? or the drawn out cut scenes? or the rail spacefights? or the meaningless dark/light that could have been done oh so much better?....

Yet it gots 8's and 8.5's.

Yeah, they spent a lot of money on it. What did it do? well they had long conversations and good voice acting. Come on. They didn't even capture the feel of Star Wars.

I believe you need to stop justifying 8's and 9's because money was spent and look at a game for what it is.

• BloodyVikingBloodyViking Member UncommonPosts: 132

LOL like any game review site is to be taken serious after SW:TOR.

I think this is simply about Gamespot not getting the check in the mail they wanted to do a shining 9+ review of the game. The whole game review business is corrupt to the core.

Now the user reviews on Meta Critics are around 8.5 average, I think thats more fair.

TSW is the best MMO released in many years because it doesnt try to fit a mold defined by WoW. TSW is very story-heavy and it works. People who cry about the combat (animations aside) really cant have gone deep into any builds. The level of customization of your own build by mixing different passives and actives is really deep.

TSW isnt everybody's cup of tea. But thats fine. Dishonest reviews however, is not fine.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Originally posted by BloodyViking

I think this is simply about Gamespot not getting the check in the mail they wanted to do a shining 9+ review of the game. The whole game review business is corrupt to the core.

Now the user reviews on Meta Critics are around 8.5 average, I think thats more fair.

TSW is the best MMO released in many years because it doesnt try to fit a mold defined by WoW. TSW is very story-heavy and it works. People who cry about the combat (animations aside) really cant have gone deep into any builds. The level of customization of your own build by mixing different passives and actives is really deep.

TSW isnt everybody's cup of tea. But thats fine. Dishonest reviews however, is not fine.

Highlighted text is why nobody can take your post seriously.

Maybe it wasn't the 'reviewers cup of tea'?

Or maybe it is because when he played it, there were bugs?

It is hilarious to defend a game that is wanting $$$ from people and fanboys wants a pass on the bugs.

It doesn't really work like that.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376
    Originally posted by jpnz
    Originally posted by BloodyViking

Highlighted text is why nobody can take your post seriously.

Maybe it wasn't the 'reviewers cup of tea'?

Or maybe it is because when he played it, there were bugs?

It is hilarious to defend a game that is wanting $$$ from people and fanboys wants a pass on the bugs.

It doesn't really work like that.

They don't get to be subjective in a review. They are not reviewing this as a fan of a genre, they are reviewing this as a journalist.