Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gamespot Review

Comments

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by SlickShoes

It got 7.5 a rating of GOOD, I would say that is perfectly acceptable for this game, maybe now funcom can take this solid start and actually build on it.

Agreed.

All things being equal, it could have been worse. TSW had a fairly "under the radar" launch, and I very much doubt that it will ever challenge WoW for the "most popular MMO" spot... image

However, there's a very good possibility that TSW may have a higher than average retention rate, because the initial rush at launch seems to have been primarily fans of the game. If Funcom can consistently deliver on their promised content schedule, TSW might just actually increase its subs !

In the case of SW:TOR, everybody and their dog piled in at launch, and 3 months later 50% were gone, having realised that buying something just because "everybody else did" is not always a great idea...

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990
    Originally posted by Sebber

Animations are animations. Saying the game has bad combat just doesn't refer to animations. So yeah...there is kind of a big difference between referring to combat in general as being bad and referring to the combat animations as being bad..

On a side note, thanks for proving that was what your real gripe is. Not that I didn't already know. But now everyone else does.

Define "combat" then, without using any kind of animations.

It is a portion of combat. It is not all of combat. It isn't the actual gameplay which overall to many is a much greater and more encompassing factor anyways than some flashy animations.

Big difference.

There are many that could give a flying fuck about animations

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• SebberSebber Member Posts: 221
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly

Animations are animations. Saying the game has bad combat just doesn't refer to animations. So yeah...there is kind of a big difference between referring to combat in general as being bad and referring to the combat animations as being bad..

On a side note, thanks for proving that was what your real gripe is. Not that I didn't already know. But now everyone else does.

Define "combat" then, without using any kind of animations.

It is a portion of combat. It is not all of combat. It isn't the actual gameplay which overall to many is a much greater and more encompassing factor anyways than some flashy animations.

Big difference.

There are many that could give a flying fuck about animations

If the combat animations are bad, the combat is bad.

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

7.5 seems like a fair score to me. The combat in this game will kill it for most people though.

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

Any reviewer that gives it less then 9 is stupid and incompetent in my list.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by mindw0rk

So out of 16 reviewers currently on Metacritic, 15 are stupid and incompetent.

Maybe that's true, but I don't think so.

If the combat animations are bad, the combat is bad.

No...it means you think  the combat animations are bad. It doesn't even have anything to do with gameplay.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

Originally posted by colddog04

Yes. I'm game journalist myself and writing review atm (russian). It gets 9.5 score and the headline of the best MMORPG since WoW

Yes. I'm game journalist myself and writing review atm (russian). It gets 9.5 score and the headline of the best MMORPG since WoW

hahahahahaahaa i can't even tell if it is sarcasm.

Lol

Dude...I'm loving this game but it deserves nowhere near a 9.5.

Well played though

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

This game doesn't deserve a 9 people IMHO. Honeslty, the scale is from 0 to 10 ok?

However, i just realized that Gamespot gave both TOR and Rift a 8.0. they also gave MW3 and BF3 the same score of 8.5. Really, nobody should take "professional" reviews seriosuly. Most of people doing them don't even seem to be gamers themselves.

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

7.5 is by no means a bad score.  It's where I'd rate the game too and I'm enjoying it.  It's a good score for people who like those types of games.  Anything below 6 (should really be below 4 though) is "bad".

Funcom doesn't get a pass for releasing game with many bugs even if they released a patch that fixed a few of them.  It didn't fix all them like Taking the Purple and The Black House still having spawning issues and some were partially fixed like The Big Terrible Picture now resets properly, but the lights still glitch out for example.

I haven't seen a MMO well reviewed by any major media company yet anyway.  MMOs require far more time investment than single player and quick multiplayer games to get a sense of everything in the game and the one or two weeks the reviewers play through doesn't often highlight some of the end game features that MMO might have.

Well played though

It is in my opinion and this score will be in my review. And yeah, haters gonna hate >:)

Well played though

It is in my opinion and this score will be in my review. And yeah, haters gonna hate >:)

Well atleast i don't hope anybody is going to buy the game after they read your "review".

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,373

Lol

Well played though

Yeah, if it wasn't a troll post it certainly points to the over-inflated scores that too many reviewers give games these days.

To whom it may concern.  There has never been a game that reached a 9, even years after release, because 9/10 implies damn near perfection, and in the MMO space can anyone really think of a title worthy of that designation.

Here at launch TSW is clearly around 7.5, I am playing myself and heartily agree with it, (might be a little high even, but I can be flexible)

You can't look at the unrealistic scores previously granted other games (apparently not so true on Gamespot) and decide to adjust the rating for this title because of it.

7.5 is what it probably deserves, and that's not a bad thing. With a little work Funcom can clean it up and easily get the score up to a 8.5 or so, which is about as high as any MMORPG to date has deserved.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MahavishnuMahavishnu Member Posts: 336

The review is ok, the rating could be higher, but most important are the arguments made by the author. He criticises aniamtions, combat, pvp and bugs. These have been criticised since beta. As one poster has already said: Stick to the rule, that you always wait at least one month after release before you purchase the game.

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

I don't respect this review much. It was just too soon for one and there is no footage at all of transilvania (or any mention of it), leading me to assume the reviewer hasn't even got close to the end. No footage of dungeons either (and very little comments about them). I think the reviewer only got to 1 zone in Egypt?

I don't disagree with the score. If deserves a slightly lower score because of the combat animations and overall feel of combat, even if the mechanics are actually really good. What I don't like is that this same reviewer gave Age Of Conan 8.5, it makes no sense because it was definately worse at launch. I think GamSpot just wanted to get their foot in the door first, oh well...

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • KhaerosKhaeros Member Posts: 452

Hey, armchair developers.  Catch a hook of knowledge to your head:

If you stripped the animations from a game (and disabled any dependencies on them in the combat code), the combat would most likely still work.  It would be hilarious for about five seconds - people telepathically slinging spell effects at each other, or just damaging them with none at all if you want to go further - and then people would be like 'This looks like shit' and uninstall.

Developers might integrate animations into the combat moves (by reference.  When activating Anima Burst, use animation MaleRifleBurst or something!), which would take a long time to remove, or just cause a whole lot of debug errors if the actual animations were taken out of the files.

Back on topic, I would have given the game a lower score (if we were using the 1-10 scale these days).  TSW is pretty shit, just like any game to come out after Planescape: Torment, so it doesn't deserve much over an 8 anyway.  Here's another hook to your head:  beta stages are for developers to try to remove as many bugs as possible.  Unfortunately, the other side to this coin is that if a dev is behind schedule and needs to get the game out faster, what step do you think is cut first?  That's right - testing.  And that's why if you ended up rolling on Arcadia (or Bugcadia as someone in General aptly put it), you get Funcom'd every zone.  Have fun in Egypt!

Otherwise, the game is standard fare for MMODB (massively multiplayer online deck builders?).  Expect flavour of the month builds soon, and the same PVP skill balance whack-a-mole as what happened with Guild Wars 1.  Though maybe it's a tradeoff - Anet can't balance their games worth shit and Funcom can't fix bugs, but since GW1 wasn't too buggy, maybe Funcom can balance skills.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by chaod1984
    Originally posted by chaod1984

Nice one Gamespot....worst review score ever....let's give the game a 7.5 because of bugs that were fixed in the last patch....

The review is actually pretty good, but why put this review out after the first patch only to complain about bugs that were fixed?

http://www.gamespot.com/the-secret-world/reviews/the-secret-world-review-6386467/

Here you go 72/100 on metacritc, the game is not amazing okay?

Did you bother seeing who gave the lower scores...basement dwelling bloggers...lol...nobody of any real credibility.  The higher scores were given by much more established companies, inlcuding Ten Ton Hammer.

Everyone on the internet has the same credibility (ie, to me, none). Blogging or writing for a commercial site? What's the difference? You think the guys reviewing professionally are any more knowledgeable or 'right'? Have you actually spoken to any of them? I think your mind would change if you had...

It's all just opinions, and usually 'swayed' opinions at that. One random internet guy or another random internet guy... who cares what label he writes under?

I am just glad I got the chance to play before spanking money on the game, that's all I will say.

Combat and PvP are fine. Combat is actually much better then most other MMOs like EQ2, SWToR, RIFT. You need to get used to it, get abilities that suit your playstyle and it becomes awesome. El Dorado is the best battleground out of any MMOs Ive played and tons of fun. 

Originally posted by Kyleran

You can't look at the unrealistic scores previously granted other games (apparently not so true on Gamespot) and decide to adjust the rating for this title because of it.

7.5 is what it probably deserves, and that's not a bad thing. With a little work Funcom can clean it up and easily get the score up to a 8.5 or so, which is about as high as any MMORPG to date has deserved.

No you can't but I can understand why it would rub some fans the wrong way. Thing is though for once Gamespot got it right or least reasonable. Who knows maybe they got tired of the grief from users over mmo reviews being over inflated.

Lol...I can dream can't I?

• SuprGamerXSuprGamerX Member Posts: 531

Heh , who cares about scores? Will it stop players from playing it if they like it? No.    Even if the game had a 0/100 score if people are having fun with it and buying the game , who cares in the end?  This is just as pathetic as movie reviews.  I mean , I'm not a huge pork fan , but more of a poultry fanatic , but i won't bitch and whine all day on how pork sucks , pork ain't my kind of food and I don't try and piss off people by saying so.   

My game is End Of Nations , no I don't care it's not in the top 7 hype meter list , no I won't care if it gets a shitty rating , as long as I'm having fun blowing stuff up that's all that matters in the end. :D

• sycofiendsycofiend Member UncommonPosts: 129

Meh I dont put a lot of stock in reviews anyway, because when we are talking about enjoying a game and having fun, it really does boil down to preference.

That said, TSW is not without it's flaws, but it so far has exceeded my expections and most importantly , I am having fun with it.

It's funny because a few of the negative reviews are what actually drew me to the game.  I had heard about TSW and really wasnt that interested, didnt BETA or anything, wasnt on my purchasing radar.. UNTIL I heard people complaining about the quests being hard, and it not leading you around by the nose .... this piqued my interest.

Then after reading up on it, I decided it was different enough to give it a try,  and so far I am very very glad I did.

PS  Sebber .... you have already made it clear you dont like the game .. why are you on a crusade to spew your dislike of the game on every single TSW related thread out there ?

Because there is so many blind fanboys here that think TSW is the best mmo over made. The fact of the matter is this game is going to fail harder than SWTOR.

It's the same as it is with any game. Not sure why you think it is any different here.

...and I highly doubt it is going to fail harder than SWTOR. Most like me never expected much from it to begin with so it already surpassed our expectations.

This game was getting trashed by folks long before it even came out just because of the company beind the game alone. Not that I have any sympathy for Funcom. They deserved the rep they garnered. Interesting to see it may change though.

Because there is so many blind fanboys here that think TSW is the best mmo over made. 

At least we have you. Brave superhero who runs to ANY topic where TSW is praised and tells everyone how TSW sucks. Hope you have alot of time our brave warrior. TSW will be praised for years to come