Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gamespot Review

Comments

• SebberSebber Member Posts: 221
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly
    Originally posted by Sebber

Do you really believe TSW should have a higher score than 7.5, with bad combat and pvp?

Depends...

Since many saying this are actually referring to the animations and somehow can't seem to ascertain the difference hard to say.

The animations are bland and lackluster. The combat is fine. Not anything extraordinary but not what others make it out to be either. Pretty much your standard shtick

Will be really nice when this whole bandwagon thing about the combat moves on.

The combat is lackluster and boring, build combo points, use combo points, build combo points etc.

• wasim470wasim470 Member Posts: 243
    Originally posted by chaod1984
    Originally posted by FredomSekerZ

How much did they give SWTOR again? oh right 8.0

So, a huge wow clone with voice acting, inferior pvp (TSW's pvp isn't that awesome either), and is the most expensive video game ever, gets a better score? Hmm, not sure if i should take reviews seriously

Exactly....SWTOR was a piece of junk right out of the gates.  I played the closed and open beta and never purchased because of that.  To give it an 8.0 and TSW a 7.5 (which I also did closed beta for and ended up pre-purchasing) is crazy....but whatever....I just think that gamespot is losing it's review credibility....used to be my #1 place to go for reviews until the one dude stopped reviewing.

Maybe for you, for me SWTOR kept me hocked for 4 months and they were really fun, while in TSW i played nearly a week and i don't feel much like logging in anymore.

after all it's up to you to trust a site for his score, but it's funny when someone trust that site and follow his reviews he's not happy with the score, since they disagree with you :).

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976

User score of 8.7 Compare that to some other MMO's and games, and it seems that TSW has a lot more happy gamers than those others'. Which seems to be the case when I view the forumthreads regarding TSW on various sites (not only here). So far, the general opinion seems to be that TSW is a pleasant surprise. Of course, that doesn't say anything in the long run, but looking at the user ratings of some other games...

Happy customers =//= amazing game.

Lol. Positive official reviews =/= amazing MMO, goes that way too -_-

But if you're trying to say that it isn't about whether gamers on average are enjoying the game they play, then you lose all credibility, and then it sounds you just can't accept other people enjoying a game (one that you maybe dislike?).

Bottomline, if there are more people being happy, positive or pleasantly surprised with a game than there are not, then that's usually a good sign. Especially if you compare it with some other games/MMO's released the past year, where the perception and voices of its gamers was different.
  • smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    double post
  • WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

The combat is lackluster and boring, build combo points, use combo points, build combo points etc.

So?

Welcome to the world of mmos. They all are simplistic when you get down to it. Unless TERA somehow breaks all the rules. I will admit I never played tht game.

Pretty much your standard stuff here you see in all mmos.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• WoW_RefugeeWoW_Refugee Member Posts: 80

Nice one Gamespot....worst review score ever....let's give the game a 7.5 because of bugs that were fixed in the last patch....

The review is actually pretty good, but why put this review out after the first patch only to complain about bugs that were fixed?

http://www.gamespot.com/the-secret-world/reviews/the-secret-world-review-6386467/

Here you go 72/100 on metacritc, the game is not amazing okay?

I survived the whole Diablo 3 forums fiasco, where everyone and their uncle said "Don't pay attention to the critic scores, they're too high! If you wanna know the truth, look at the USER scores!!!"

Ok!  http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-secret-world/user-reviews

8.7...so I guess the game is awesome? Cuz like...it is. :)

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Do you really believe TSW should have a higher score than 7.5, with bad combat and pvp?

The thing is it dont have bad combat or pvp..

TSW should be at least an 8.. After playing since the oopen beta i would probally sit it around 8.5.. and i usually hate themepark games.

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156
    Originally posted by wasim470

How much did they give SWTOR again? oh right 8.0

So, a huge wow clone with voice acting, inferior pvp (TSW's pvp isn't that awesome either), and is the most expensive video game ever, gets a better score? Hmm, not sure if i should take reviews seriously

Exactly....SWTOR was a piece of junk right out of the gates.  I played the closed and open beta and never purchased because of that.  To give it an 8.0 and TSW a 7.5 (which I also did closed beta for and ended up pre-purchasing) is crazy....but whatever....I just think that gamespot is losing it's review credibility....used to be my #1 place to go for reviews until the one dude stopped reviewing.

Maybe for you, for me SWTOR kept me hocked for 4 months and they were really fun, while in TSW i played nearly a week and i don't feel much like logging in anymore.

after all it's up to you to trust a site for his score, but it's funny when someone trust that site and follow his reviews he's not happy with the score, since they disagree with you :).

Review are made on personall opinion. if you like TOR more, dude, cool you enjoy it for whatever reason and rank higher. No problem really.

However, TOR is the most expensive video game ever (think about it) and it cloned way to much from WOW and waste all the rest on voice acting. that's something that as a video game is huge negative to me. While TSW with far less of a budget made a non wow clone. themepark yes, i've seen almost no claims of it.

Everything is opinion. One doesn't like voiced PC, one likes it it. No big deal, however, when TOR got glowing reviews considering what it did, i spot trusting sites.

Also, if Gmaspot gave this game a 10, i'd facepalm

• AthisioAthisio Member Posts: 72

I still think regardless of a good or bad review that the review should wait until 30 days after the release. This is to make sure the reviewer experiences the full content. Being the game has only been out around 2 weeks i am assuming some of this reviewers game time was during beta. With that being said i feel its foolish to release a review good or bad based on a beta partially or wholly on a beta product.

So?

Welcome to the world of mmos. They all are simplistic when you get down to it. Unless TERA somehow breaks all the rules. I will admit I never played tht game.

The standard stuff you see is old mmo's. GW2, PS2, Tera, does not have lackluster combat, the year is 2012 and if the combat is bad the game will suffer.

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

Yeah not sure I agree with these reviews from various sites.  It's not really that I think TSW is such an awesome game that it deserves 9 or 10's etc, it's just that all these places giving SWTOR giving 8-9/10 or 4-5/5 scores seem to be rating this game lower and that is not right.  Just the fact that the missioning or questing is leagues better than TOR should garner the game at least the same score.  TOR was so mindmumbingly boring to me right out of the gate, while at TSW at least attempts to make questing interesting.  There are of course kill and collect quests, but no more "here go kill 25 Rakghouls, and then kill 50 more for a bonus!". 

However I think once some of you guys get further along in TSW you might change your tune about how great the game is.  I have gotten to the point in the game where it's basically nothing but a gear grind to get 'purps', filled with elite douchbaggery of "LF DPS for elites, if you don't have 2500+ AR and all blues don't bother whispering" constantly spammed in lfg chat.

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019

It got 7.5 a rating of GOOD, I would say that is perfectly acceptable for this game, maybe now funcom can take this solid start and actually build on it.

So?

The standard stuff you see is old mmo's. GW2, PS2, Tera, does not have lackluster combat, the year is 2012 and if the combat is bad the game will suffer.

/shrug

Game seems to be doing rather well to me. Not sure how you think it is "suffering" from your bad anima...er "combat"

>_>

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

Originally posted by Worstluck

Yeah not sure I agree with these reviews from various sites.  It's not really that I think TSW is such an awesome game that it deserves 9 or 10's etc, it's just that all these places giving SWTOR giving 8-9/10 or 4-5/5 scores seem to be rating this game lower and that is not right. 

Yeah...it does bring those reviews into question. Honestly though maybe because SWTOR was less buggy at launch and you did have the whole Star War and BW mystique.

Really I said at the time that those reviews were ridiculous for the game as it was.

...and I played the game for a couple months.

/shrug

Game seems to be doing rather well to me. Not sure how you think it is "suffering" from your bad anima...er "combat"

>_>

So animations are not part of combat now? ohh my sites. Lets see a shooter without sound and gun effect when you shoot.

• dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615

Guess it depends if your using a 7-10 scale or 1-10 scale in the latter 3/4 of the highest possible isn't exactly bad..

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Time to put my troll goggles on.

I personally think it's accurate. I would have given it a 7.5 myself for similar reasons.

/shrug

>_>

So animations are not part of combat now? ohh my sites. Lets see a shooter without sound and gun effect when you shoot,

Turn off the volume. I did many times. Still plays the same. No, animations don't have anything to do with combat. But TSW's aren't good either

/shrug

>_>

So animations are not part of combat now? ohh my sites. Lets see a shooter without sound and gun effect when you shoot,

Turn off the volume. I did many times. Still plays the same. No, animations don't have anything to do with combat. But TSW's aren't good either

Yes animations are everything to do with combat. You can't make "combat" without animations.

This is stupid anyway. Even before this, everybody agrees that the only review that matters is your own. Does anybody actually go by these sites anymore after all weve gotten? It's like going by reviews on this site. Hit and miss. Most is hater vs fanboy

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

today people think that anything lower than 8/10 is bad. Most scores are inflated and people got used to having score 8-8.5 to ok games. Gamespot usually have good reviews imo.

/shrug

>_>

Yes animations are everything to do with combat. You can't make "combat" without animations.

It's one thing to not have animations. To me, TSW doesn't have the best ones, true, but i don't mind them all that horrble. I didn't even mind watching the video. I guess it grows on you.

/shrug

>_>

So animations are not part of combat now? ohh my sites. Lets see a shooter without sound and gun effect when you shoot.

Animations are animations. Saying the game has bad combat just doesn't refer to animations. So yeah...there is kind of a big difference between referring to combat in general as being bad and referring to the combat animations as being bad..

On a side note, thanks for proving that was what your real gripe is. Not that I didn't already know. But now everyone else does.

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Originally posted by smh_alot

Nice one Gamespot....worst review score ever....let's give the game a 7.5 because of bugs that were fixed in the last patch....

The review is actually pretty good, but why put this review out after the first patch only to complain about bugs that were fixed?

http://www.gamespot.com/the-secret-world/reviews/the-secret-world-review-6386467/

Here you go 72/100 on metacritc, the game is not amazing okay?

User score of 8.7 Compare that to some other MMO's and games, and it seems that TSW has a lot more happy gamers than those others'. Which seems to be the case when I view the forumthreads regarding TSW on various sites (not only here). So far, the general opinion seems to be that TSW is a pleasant surprise. Of course, that doesn't say anything in the long run, but looking at the user ratings of some other games...

This right here is the bottom line.  Players playing who know the game, not some random guy who has mininal experience who may have his own biases.   Personally  I will always trust the words of my friends, people I know and trust over some reviewer.  I mean look how many games were given great scores and the gamers playing the game who disagreed.

Animations are animations. Saying the game has bad combat just doesn't refer to animations. So yeah...there is kind of a big difference between referring to combat in general as being bad and referring to the combat animations as being bad..

On a side note, thanks for proving that was what your real gripe is. Not that I didn't already know. But now everyone else does.

Define "combat" then, without using any kind of animations.