Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gamespot Review

Nice one Gamespot....worst review score ever....let's give the game a 7.5 because of bugs that were fixed in the last patch....

The review is actually pretty good, but why put this review out after the first patch only to complain about bugs that were fixed?

http://www.gamespot.com/the-secret-world/reviews/the-secret-world-review-6386467/

Comments

• SebberSebber Member Posts: 221
    Originally posted by chaod1984

Nice one Gamespot....worst review score ever....let's give the game a 7.5 because of bugs that were fixed in the last patch....

The review is actually pretty good, but why put this review out after the first patch only to complain about bugs that were fixed?

http://www.gamespot.com/the-secret-world/reviews/the-secret-world-review-6386467/

Here you go 72/100 on metacritc, the game is not amazing okay?

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Just because it is 'fixed' doesn't mean it gets a pass.

If a product is on the market for $$$, it deserves to be reviewed as it is.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• chaod1984chaod1984 Member Posts: 271
    Originally posted by Sebber

Did you bother seeing who gave the lower scores...basement dwelling bloggers...lol...nobody of any real credibility.  The higher scores were given by much more established companies, inlcuding Ten Ton Hammer.

Originally posted by jpnz

Just because it is 'fixed' doesn't mean it gets a pass.

If a product is on the market for $$$, it deserves to be reviewed as it is.

It doesn't need a pass, but it was a little deceptive for the reviewer to not mention that many of the bugs had been fixed in the latest patch...just sayin

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976

Nice one Gamespot....worst review score ever....let's give the game a 7.5 because of bugs that were fixed in the last patch.... The review is actually pretty good, but why put this review out after the first patch only to complain about bugs that were fixed?   http://www.gamespot.com/the-secret-world/reviews/the-secret-world-review-6386467/    

User score of 8.7 Compare that to some other MMO's and games, and it seems that TSW has a lot more happy gamers than those others'. Which seems to be the case when I view the forumthreads regarding TSW on various sites (not only here). So far, the general opinion seems to be that TSW is a pleasant surprise. Of course, that doesn't say anything in the long run, but looking at the user ratings of some other games...
  • jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Did you bother seeing who gave the lower scores...basement dwelling bloggers...lol...nobody of any real credibility.  The higher scores were given by much more established companies, inlcuding Ten Ton Hammer.

Gamespot is number 2 for gaming websites so not sure how you can say 'Ten Ton Hammer' is more established or has more  credibility.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813

Not all bug fixes applied to every "dimension".  Why this is, I have no idea. 

However, I could see this affecting a reviewer's overall score if they spent any significant amount of time with the game, and saw people asking in the "help" channel to be invited to someone's group in another "dimension" where the quest was actually working.

Nevertheless, I still love the game, and I am sure that these issues will be worked out.

Sure if you look how many reviews the "basement dwelling bloggers" have made it's about 800 on average.

• xposeidonxposeidon Member Posts: 384

Hmm it seems like the combat is definetly dragging it down in the reviews. Haven't played it so I'm not sure if that's just enough for a 7 if the rest of the game is good like some people say.

Remember... all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more.

User score of 8.7 Compare that to some other MMO's and games, and it seems that TSW has a lot more happy gamers than those others'. Which seems to be the case when I view the forumthreads regarding TSW on various sites (not only here). So far, the general opinion seems to be that TSW is a pleasant surprise. Of course, that doesn't say anything in the long run, but looking at the user ratings of some other games...

Happy customers =//= amazing game.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Yeah not the best review in the world really.. hell somehow they managed to give SWTOR an 8 LOL..

I have gone off gamespot for reviews this year a lot of them have been well off the mark..

I mean i have no idea what he means about the combat i think its just as good as any other tab target system out there.. you tab target and press buttons its as simple as that... if hes marking it down on that then he needs to do the saem for all MMORPGs that use a tab target system. and floaty? no idea what he means by that LOL..

Quest bugs? game has been out like a week and most quest bugs have been patched out..

Disapointing PVP? really? its got some of the best themepark pvp i have ever played.. yes it could be better it coudl be open world pvp with full loot.. but compared to other themepark games it pretty good..

Ah well each to their own :)

Originally posted by jpnz

Gamespot is number 2 for gaming websites so not sure how you can say 'Ten Ton Hammer' is more established or has more  credibility.

I wouldn't say all that....they lost their way a few years ago....they had another writer (who did the Vanilla WoW review and was their MMO reviewer) who was the best reviewer i've ever read....he no longer review's and since then their review's have lost a bit of objectiveness.  The scores have also been brought down for all games across the board, which is ok, but why do that if the rest of the reveiwing sites and magazines are not.  That's kind funky

• Kaisen_DexxKaisen_Dexx Member UncommonPosts: 326

I'm no longer sure what the patch actually fixed. I had group chat die on me this morning, so chats not fixed yet. Around half the quests I've accepted in Egypt have been bugged. For the first bit, I was really enjoying myself with TSW, but with all the bugs I've seen now, I can't even recommend this to friends it gets so frustrating.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990

/shrug

7.5 seems like a fair assessment to me. It isn't like that means it is bad or anything. The game is great on many levels but there are some issues and concerns.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

How much did they give SWTOR again? oh right 8.0

So, a huge wow clone with voice acting, inferior pvp (TSW's pvp isn't that awesome either), and is the most expensive video game ever, gets a better score? Hmm, not sure if i should take reviews seriously

Originally posted by Kaisen_Dexx

I'm no longer sure what the patch actually fixed. I had group chat die on me this morning, so chats not fixed yet. Around half the quests I've accepted in Egypt have been bugged. For the first bit, I was really enjoying myself with TSW, but with all the bugs I've seen now, I can't even recommend this to friends it gets so frustrating.

Yeah...there are a few bugged quests in Egypt. Seems some of them were broke with 1.1 I believe and chat isn't fixed either. They really need to get that chat thing worked out pronto.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• gothagotha Member UncommonPosts: 1,074

Taken on its own its a pretty fair review,  given gamespots habbit of reviewing overhyped games pretty well you wonder why the hell they decided to finally do a real review for the secret world.

Originally posted by FredomSekerZ

So, a huge wow clone with voice acting, inferior pvp (TSW's pvp isn't that awesome either), and is the most expensive video game ever, gets a better score? Hmm, not sure if i should take reviews seriously

Exactly....SWTOR was a piece of junk right out of the gates.  I played the closed and open beta and never purchased because of that.  To give it an 8.0 and TSW a 7.5 (which I also did closed beta for and ended up pre-purchasing) is crazy....but whatever....I just think that gamespot is losing it's review credibility....used to be my #1 place to go for reviews until the one dude stopped reviewing.

• wasim470wasim470 Member Posts: 243

i find the score pretty fare TBH, the game is good witch what 7.5 in game spot indicates, but it's not Amazing or ground breaking + it's not deep enough, for example the city hubs are pretty shallow they are a small empty boxs with nothing interesting.

And all the game really do is Combat quests combat again and quests again, that's it.

Originally posted by Wickedjelly
    Originally posted by Kaisen_Dexx

Yeah...there are a few bugged quests in Egypt. Seems some of them were broke with 1.1 I believe and chat isn't fixed either. They really need to get that chat thing worked out pronto.

I concede then...fair review.  Im still in Blue Mountain...im a casual gamer so haven't been to egypt yet. 

Exactly....SWTOR was a piece of junk right out of the gates.  I played the closed and open beta and never purchased because of that.  To give it an 8.0 and TSW a 7.5 (which I also did closed beta for and ended up pre-purchasing) is crazy....but whatever....I just think that gamespot is losing it's review credibility....used to be my #1 place to go for reviews until the one dude stopped reviewing.

Do you really believe TSW should have a higher score than 7.5, with bad combat and pvp?

Do you really believe TSW should have a higher score than 7.5, with bad combat and pvp?

TSW was never touted as the next god in PVP....as a matter of fact, PVP was never really touted at all by Funcom.  They mentioned it, but normally after mentioning everything else...this was something I mentioned before the game released (that Funcom focuses on PVE, and throws in PVP) and it held true.  there were no surprises there.

As for combat, bad combat?   The combat is very similar to GW1 and Rift...kind of a combination....just you can use 2 weapons without swapping, have to think about every skill and passive you use and it can make or break your ease in killing....not sure what is so bad about that?  If anything it's standard, but combat preparation requirements are better than most games.

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156
    Originally posted by FredomSekerZ

When i saw every single website give glowing reviews to TOR, i said "Well, that's all i need to never go by them again". See, TSW isn't perfect at all, yet, the flaws Gmaespot gives it are are more problematic in TOR, yet TSW actually doesn things different from the normal themeparks mold, eyt TOR get's a better score?

TSW to me is an 8 max of max. PVP, combat, animations, character creater are problematic, yes, but still. WOW

Depends...

Since many saying this are actually referring to the animations and somehow can't seem to ascertain the difference hard to say.

The animations are bland and lackluster. The combat is fine. Not anything extraordinary but not what others make it out to be either. Pretty much your standard shtick

Will be really nice when this whole bandwagon thing about the combat moves on.

Originally posted by Wickedjelly

Depends...

Since many saying this are actually referring to the animations and somehow can't seem to ascertain the difference hard to say.

The animations are bland and lackluster. The combat is fine. Not anything extraordinary but not what others make it out to be either. Pretty much your standard shtick

Will be really nice when this whole bandwagon thing about the combat moves on.

What Jelly said ^