Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Increasingly wary of this game due to its community

1235»

Comments

• jonaylwardjonaylward Member Posts: 87

HOW TO ENJOY MMOS IN THE 21ST CENTURY:

Step 1: Never EVER go to a game's official forums. EVER.

The only people who go there are so full of rage that they took the time to stop playing the game to go POST ON THE FORUMS instead. Really. There are really amazing NON-OFFICIAL forums where "doosh" is not the only sound you hear.

Step 2: Turn off any and all community chat in game.

You get better interaction with people by (*gasp*) INTERACTING WITH THEM IN THE GAME WORLD instead of Chat... (Why play a social game, if you're not going to be social and play with other people no matter where you are or what you're doing?)

• BigRock411BigRock411 Member Posts: 299
    Originally posted by jonaylward

HOW TO ENJOY MMOS IN THE 21ST CENTURY:

Step 1: Never EVER go to a game's official forums. EVER.

The only people who go there are so full of rage that they took the time to stop playing the game to go POST ON THE FORUMS instead. Really. There are really amazing NON-OFFICIAL forums where "doosh" is not the only sound you hear.

Step 2: Turn off any and all community chat in game.

You get better interaction with people by (*gasp*) INTERACTING WITH THEM IN THE GAME WORLD instead of Chat... (Why play a social game, if you're not going to be social and play with other people no matter where you are or what you're doing?)

I actually find the official forums to be much better than some 3rd party mmorpg forums...just stay out of the pvp section on class based games...its all neft this and op that cries...with my fav "ill quit if you dont nerf their class!"

At least most official forums you can have a conversation about the game without people constantly derailing into a "why the game sucks" or "my game is better" argument...or if it does they actually lock the thread or remove the off topic posts.

This site should just sticky an all purpose argument/comparison thread and move off topic posts into it, would make these forums more about the actual game.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Increasingly wary of this game due to its community

The standard answer applies I think; stay away from forums, it'll do you good.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by unfettered
    Originally posted by Khondor

There is no utopia in the gaming community.   It will always be representative of the real world, where there are many, wait for it... ASSHOLES.  No game is immune.   Stop looking for the perfect batch of polite and helpful gamers.  You will not find them.  

pretty crazy the strawmen being thrown around. it's easy to answer, is it as bad as TERA or not?  is it as bad in game as this forum is? those are easy questions, and now i am thinking the answer is yes.

there's many many many levels of bad between TERA, LoL, HoN and say WoW, then more levels between WoW and a game like LotRO. so where does TSW fall? i ain' t looking for perfect, i'm looking for liveable and decent which is not found on any TSW forum right now. i will not be going into a mmo to turn off chat, play alone or run with the same small group exclusively. 

I haven't had an issue with the in-game community and, frankly, the forum community hasn't been as bad, overall, as I've seen in other MMOs. TOR's was the worst I've ever seen, next to maybe Darkfall's back around its launch.

I don't follow general chat as much in-game, but I can't say I've seen any particularly horrible behavior that stands out to me. I mean, I might be a bit desensitized to it with all the MMOs I've played and communities I've "experienced", and tend to find the more ridiculous behavior to be funny moreso than offensive. However, I do still notice it.

That hasn't really been the case in TSW for me so far.

Like any other MMO you have your people who bought the game, are in their first 30 days, have decided they hate it, but are going to ride out the remaining time being as obnoxious as they can to as many people as they can, as much as they can. Heck, a guy on the official forums just about openly called Ragnar Tornquist a liar and questioned his ethics after he (Ragnar) posted a response in a thread to address people's concerns about updates. Hopefully that clown will be gone come the first billing cycle. People being unreasonable is one thing, people outright being hostile to that level, and completely unprovoked, is something else altogether.