Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG with the best Necromancer class?

2»

Comments

• spikers14spikers14 Member UncommonPosts: 531

I don't know if it's the best, but the only Necro class that held my attention for any significant length of time was in Lineage 2. So, just throwing that out there for something different. 

Judging by the posts though, I need to go back and try the EQ1 Necro :)

• KilsinKilsin Member RarePosts: 515

Vanguard Necromancy without a doubt!

Same as the EQ Necro but with even more...

Dps,charm undead, powerful pet than can be customized, feign death, resurrect other players, fear, snare

find corpse, summon corpse, levitation, waterbreathing,

sacrifice their health for more power or to heal others, stances wraith and Lich, Meat (HP/Str/Dex Buff) and Orb (Mana/IntWis buff)

Seriously cool class!

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Larloch

Which MMO has the best Necromancer class? If you want you can list and rank the ones you have played. Explaining why would be great. Thanks guys.

Kind of a tough one. Really depends on how you like your necro.

For traditional:

Probably either Vanguard, or EQ1. Kinda straight forward / bland, but put together well. It's very much your standard, dot-heavy / minion army class. If that's all you view a necromancer to be, then these games fit that perfectly.

Personally, I liked how GW1 handles the necromancer the most. Probably because it's the most versatile, and they do the most with the concept of a necromancer. It's not just limited to 'pet army' class, or a 'dot class'. It's one of the few games where the necro really feels like a master of death, disease, and decay. Whether you are cursing enemies for various different effects, spreading mass disease, raising undead minions, exploding corpses, feeding on corpses, consuming spirits of the dead, using your own life to power spells, or manipulating the dead to empower the living, it's all fun and interesting.

I just can't think of any other MMOs that have even half of that in their necro classes. With the exception of maybe GW2, but it's not out yet.

• gboostergbooster Member UncommonPosts: 712

Definitely EQ1. That game was so freakin hard and it was damn near impossible to solo anything with the majority of classes. Necros were the exception and gods in that game.

I liked the EQ2 Necro, but it was a huge step down in perceived awesomeness.

The Rift Necro is cool, but the tank pet really sucks, which knocks it down a couple levels from my previous two choices. It also is not a viable spec at all except for leveling or soloing. It sucks in PVP and PVE at the end game which is a real shame. I also thought there were much more interesting mage souls available like the Dominator, which is one of the coolest mage classes I have played and what has kept me interested in Rift, besides the awesome guild I am in.

I loved the Succubus and the Felgaurd pets in WoW. I had alot of fun in Battlegrounds with the Warlock class.

• LarlochLarloch Member Posts: 19

The response I received from this thread was better than I expected. Lots of good info in this thread. Anyone new want to chime in or has anyone's opinion changed in the last year?

Thanks guys.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Saxx0n

Without question - EQ1

EQ1.  Imo, nothing else is close.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Of the games I've played I really liked Rift's Necro, in fact the mage class overall in rift is my favorite theme park class in any MMO ever. I like the synergy of Necro, Warlock and Chloro souls.
  • TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605
    EQ1 hands down..........Was a master of all, could kite, dot, dd, mez,  heal, rez, and pull mobs.   I so hope eqnext has that class, if so I might of found my new home.

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    EQ1 you could solo a necro even more so in EQ2. Play it and you'll see.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• BuccaneerBuccaneer Member UncommonPosts: 654
    It's a coin toss between EQ and Vanguard for me.
  • fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506

EQ1

Necros and Bards were gods among mortals in that game.

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

Top 200 would look like this:

1. Age of Conan

2. Age of Conan

3. Age of Conan.

141. Everquest 1

142. Age of Conan

200. Vanguard

REALITY CHECK

• Yuk0raYuk0ra Member UncommonPosts: 35

I'd go with DDO, played it for a long time and necro's always been good there, you float around, have red bright flaming eyes, kill stuff the press of a button, deal some nasty dmg, can't be instakilled couse you are dead and you get healed by negative dmg (immune to normal healing). Depends on the form you use.

Also because the loot you get is unique and the "build" you use are different from toon to toon there's infinite possibilities to build your character and be different from another.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    AoC
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• TibbzTibbz Member UncommonPosts: 613
    EQ1 is my top pick.  They were a bit tricky to play but a great class.  Other than that Vanguard's was great and Rift Necro/Warlock made one heck of a pvp class.  

• General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868

Gold - Everquest 1 ....

Silver - Daoc's...  Necro and Bone Dancer

Bronze - GW 1

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by gbooster

Definitely EQ1. That game was so freakin hard and it was damn near impossible to solo anything with the majority of classes. Necros were the exception and gods in that game.

Shaman, druid, magician, bard, enchanter(very tricky at launch), cleric - all these were capable soloers back in 1999, but most players didn't understand the combat options til 2000 (enchanters especially, it took a while for players to figure out the power of charm, mem blur)

Ranger too