Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New content updates on a monthly basis for The Secret world.

Comments

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643

The more the haters keep posting, the more extreme their venom will become.  Keep bringing it.  You're going to be quite busy defending your game in about a month or so.  Shoe meet other foot.

• Pale_FirePale_Fire Member UncommonPosts: 360
    Originally posted by jdnyc
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly

I can't entirely blame them. Not like this company has the most stellar of records. I'm just glad they've been wrong so far.

I blame them.  Here's why.  If you hate Funcom that much for what they did to you four years ago with AoC, then you shouldn't even be paying attention to TSW.  Move on and accept that nothing Funcom does will ever get your money.  No, they have an axe to grind and pollute forums like this with constant ignorant crap.  If you are cautious, that's different.  But that's not what the other poster is refering too.  He's refering to the fanboys of the God Game constantly starting crap in hopes of doing...well I'm not entirely sure what their plan is.  Regardless this is a huge positive for the company and the game - I'm sure you'll see the haters keep things tempered with an occassional post here saying "I'll believe when I see it."  When it does happen and the story keeps going and evolving, they won't say anything.  They'll have to STFU just like they avoided the server technology threads.  They'll sit in the shadows waiting for the next negative thing to happen so they can do their best to turn a mole hill into a mountain.

It has nothing to do with hate.  I love TSW and am having a fantastic time playing it.  And, frankly, I like Funcom.

Like it or not, Funcom's history matters.  I was there at the AO launch and what should have been one of the best MMORPGs of all time, died because they couldn't get the game to work for several months.  Now AO is a story of what could have been. AoC had a rocky launch and has managed to hang on by virtue of going FTP.

TSW has been their best launch.  And unlike many players, I've not encountered very many bugs.  Only one bugged quest, in fact, and I was ultimately able to complete it.

Updating the game monthly with content is a tall order for any company.  Despite how much I like the game and how much I want them to succeed, I have the right to remain skeptical regarding their ability to deliver content consistently and efficiently.  It has nothing to do with hate, it's just...reasonable.

• GargolaGargola Member Posts: 356
    Originally posted by Pale_Fire

I can't entirely blame them. Not like this company has the most stellar of records. I'm just glad they've been wrong so far.

I blame them.  Here's why.  If you hate Funcom that much for what they did to you four years ago with AoC, then you shouldn't even be paying attention to TSW.  Move on and accept that nothing Funcom does will ever get your money.  No, they have an axe to grind and pollute forums like this with constant ignorant crap.  If you are cautious, that's different.  But that's not what the other poster is refering too.  He's refering to the fanboys of the God Game constantly starting crap in hopes of doing...well I'm not entirely sure what their plan is.  Regardless this is a huge positive for the company and the game - I'm sure you'll see the haters keep things tempered with an occassional post here saying "I'll believe when I see it."  When it does happen and the story keeps going and evolving, they won't say anything.  They'll have to STFU just like they avoided the server technology threads.  They'll sit in the shadows waiting for the next negative thing to happen so they can do their best to turn a mole hill into a mountain.

It has nothing to do with hate.  I love TSW and am having a fantastic time playing it.  And, frankly, I like Funcom.

Like it or not, Funcom's history matters.  I was there at the AO launch and what should have been one of the best MMORPGs of all time, died because they couldn't get the game to work for several months.  Now AO is a story of what could have been. AoC had a rocky launch and has managed to hang on by virtue of going FTP.

TSW has been their best launch.  And unlike many players, I've not encountered very many bugs.  Only one bugged quest, in fact, and I was ultimately able to complete it.

Updating the game monthly with content is a tall order for any company.  Despite how much I like the game and how much I want them to succeed, I have the right to remain skeptical regarding their ability to deliver content consistently and efficiently.  It has nothing to do with hate, it's just...reasonable.

With that in mind... then FC rocks, even with the limited playerbase, FC still keeps on patching, adding content, fixing and making seasonal events for AO, 11 years after launch.  And there's people still paying the full subscription there.

All that after arguably the worst launch in the history of MMOs.

• lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

Lol, I can see how this will go down in these forums....

Funcom announces monthly content updates.

Usual suspects post: "Hahaha ! You fools actually believe this ? It's Funcom, after all"

End July: FC delivers first content pack on schedule.

Usual suspects post: "Oh, it's much too little. And this wiil be the last thing you'll see from them. It's Funcom, after all"

End August: FC delivers second content pack on schedule.

Usual suspects post: "Oh, they're just fooling you. This is stuff they held back from release. It's Funcom, after all"

End September: FC delivers third content pack on schedule.

Usual suspects post: "Man, can you believe this sh1t ? The fanbois are still giving FC money for content they should have received at launch. Funcom, is duping them, and they're too dumb to realise it. Typical Funcom move."

And over on the GW2 forums: "Hey guyz, Anet just made the first DLC pack available ! They truly are amazing, always deliver on their promises..."

HAhahaha...lol yu win the thread and internet.

Originally posted by Gargola
    Originally posted by Pale_Fire

With that in mind... then FC rocks, even with the limited playerbase, FC still keeps on patching, adding content, fixing and making seasonal events for AO, 11 years after launch.  And there's people still paying the full subscription there.

All that after arguably the worst launch in the history of MMOs.

And I agree with you.  I still have a soft spot for AO.  I just think about "what could have been."

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by GnatBug

Oh look ...lol

Star Trek Online all over again .... Dont developers ever learn!

They launch a game with no content and promis more content which will blow your mind! ..BUT ..you will have to renew your sub ...Wink Wink ..

to see it in August .. ROFL come on poeple we smarter than this !

TSW launched with *no content*?  Give me a break.  Unless you are cramming yourself through this game as much as you can on a daily basis, there is plenty of content to last.  As a casual player, I could play what is currently in the game for several months, and that's to say nothing of social, cabal and RP time.

If this is "no content" to you, then you are going to be hating every modern MMO that launches from here on out.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

The one thing nobody has really commented on so far is the fact that the first content update will be arriving on the 31st of July.

Seeing as the game launched on the 3rd of July, that means anyone who doubts the quantity and quality of the content update WILL NOT HAVE TO SUB to be able to try some of it, because the free 30 days will only run out 2-3 days after the content patch arrives.

Well played, Funcom.

• tarestares Member Posts: 381
    Originally posted by MindTrigger
    Originally posted by GnatBug

Oh look ...lol

Star Trek Online all over again .... Dont developers ever learn!

They launch a game with no content and promis more content which will blow your mind! ..BUT ..you will have to renew your sub ...Wink Wink ..

to see it in August .. ROFL come on poeple we smarter than this !

TSW launched with *no content*?  Give me a break.  Unless you are cramming yourself through this game as much as you can on a daily basis, there is plenty of content to last.  As a casual player, I could play what is currently in the game for several months, and that's to say nothing of social, cabal and RP time.

If this is "no content" to you, then you are going to be hating every modern MMO that launches from here on out.

Many players have already cleared everything, now hard mode group instances are getting cleared. Volume of quests, instances, geographic area, TSW has much less than a standard MMO. I liked parts of every modern MMO, is just TSW has less content.

Some of the stuff was probably held back from launch but the hard thing is the team will be getting cut down as members get transfered to the Lego MMO.

I don't care what game company says this, it always ends up disappointing the players.  SWTOR patch 1.1 will have everything you ever wanted and no it didn't.  SWTOR did get content out faster than I predict TSW being able to though. 2 raid instancs, a couple group instances, a daily quest zone area, ratgoul plague stuff.

The game I am waiting for isn't even competing with TSW as it is console only. It is already getting put on blast for the last series entry and has tons of competition.  When that game comes out though, I will put in well over 1000 hours in a year so a lot of content indeed.  The good thing about PvP, skill, or raid focus is it is fun to do it over and over. Story mode is always a once and done type of thing for most players, even good stories.

• jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

The one thing nobody has really commented on so far is the fact that the first content update will be arriving on the 31st of July.

Seeing as the game launched on the 3rd of July, that means anyone who doubts the quantity and quality of the content update WILL NOT HAVE TO SUB to be able to try some of it, because the free 30 days will only run out 2-3 days after the content patch arrives.

Well played, Funcom.

Absolutely, they could have planned it a few days after sub renewal.

Very nice.

Let's just hope they don't get bad ideas until then.

And about the game being launched without content. Please don't comment stuff you don't know anything about. And if you do, bring concrete examples.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

hmm, well if they can pull it off, I'll be floored. Rift is the current king of churning out content and even they are at about 2 months average for each patch.

Stoked if this pans out though.

• TafaleTafale Member UncommonPosts: 37
    Originally posted by Harttz

If they release their first pack on July 31st as promised and it is solid then I am definitely going to buy this game.  I enjoyed the beta but held off on pre-ordering because I didn't want to get stuck with an unfinished and poorly supported game but this is really promising.  Investigation quests are the best part of the game so if they release 5+ of them per month (they said at least 1 for each zone in each monthly pack, right?) then this game will be worth a longterm sub.  Throw in a raid every few months and new zones to extend the story fairly regularly and I will be a loyal player for a long time.

I'm a bit in the same boat but will personally wait longer, probably buying the game in early October depending on their development speed.

I want decent bug fixing, some more content, raid (not very important if release date isn't months away) and combat/animation improvements (they talk about it so hope it don't take several months to hit live) .

So I'm Looking forward to trying the game in a few months from now, even if it's just for one month in a worst case scenario.

• dellirious13dellirious13 Member Posts: 205

Just 1 Question:

IF they are going to have things like new missions, etc ready by July 31st, then why werent they avaliable at launch? I feel that with the bugged quests, etc going on right now, the devs working on these "new missions" should be fixing bugs first?

Also, updates less than 1 month after release reeks of "we had these features ready, but decided to hold them off until a month after launch to get people to pay that first monthly fee".

I truly hope this is not the case, because if it is, I will be a 1 paid month then done user....

• HarttzHarttz Member Posts: 91
    Originally posted by dellirious13

Just 1 Question:

IF they are going to have things like new missions, etc ready by July 31st, then why werent they avaliable at launch? I feel that with the bugged quests, etc going on right now, the devs working on these "new missions" should be fixing bugs first?

Also, updates less than 1 month after release reeks of "we had these features ready, but decided to hold them off until a month after launch to get people to pay that first monthly fee".

I truly hope this is not the case, because if it is, I will be a 1 paid month then done user....

It is kinda a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation for them there.  If they put all of the content in at launch and the have to produce new content from scratch and can't get it out quickly then people cmplain about there not being enough new content to justify the sub.  But, if they hold off on some of the content until after launch to ensure they can provide regular updates to justify the sub then people complain that they are getting ripped off because they didn't include it at launch.  I personally prefer the regular updates, myself, especially for a sub game where people tend to devour content.

• MeliezaMelieza Member Posts: 269

Just 1 Question:

You obviously don't understand how game companys work.  There is not a set of programmers that do whatever needs to be done.  There are different people that do different things.  There are different teams for bugs and future content.  Ragnar has already said there is already even a team working on expansion content.

Furthermore, how can you say something released a month after the game launched should have been in release?  Obviously, it wasn't ready for release, or even barely off the drawing board.

• dellirious13dellirious13 Member Posts: 205
    Originally posted by Melieza

Just 1 Question:

You obviously don't understand how game companys work.  There is not a set of programmers that do whatever needs to be done.  There are different people that do different things.  There are different teams for bugs and future content.  Ragnar has already said there is already even a team working on expansion content.

Furthermore, how can you say something released a month after the game launched should have been in release?  Obviously, it wasn't ready for release, or even barely off the drawing board.

Firstly. I know how game companies work. The teams for bugs are NOT completely different people. At the LAUNCH (and in beta) of a game, a LARGE majority of the game's  devs are working on fixing bugs, even if that isnt their personal designation. I wouldnt be surprised if Ragnar himself helped with bug fixing throughout betas, etc. IMO, if there are bugs at launch, the devs should be focusing much of their time on fixing bugs, until they are handled...because otherwise the game may fail (and quest bugs would logically be worked on by the devs who made these quests.). The team working on the expansion content is not some random squad that they hired just to work on expansion content. It is individuals from the writing team, from the dev team, etc. They overlap.

And the new content 1 month after? I can understand the raid, because they have stated they have been working on that, and wanted it to be ready for launch, but couldnt do that, so they will get it out ASAP (in ready condition). And other minor features like char. customation additions, etc. But things like new Cash Malls, imo, should be held off a couple months...because they are not needed in the game, except to make more money for the dev. So, once they get a handle of everything, smooth out downtimes to once a week or once every couple weeks, fix problems, and boost things for the community, then they can release the bigger things.

I am already done with most of the game...yes i play games 40+ hours a week. But I would rather them wait to release bigger content and get the game feeling smoother, than them rush content, rush content, community dies...

EDIT: Also, I wasn't being completely serious with my ominous "they are cheating!" comment. They never did that sort of thing in AoC, so I trust them. I personally this Ragnar is talking about the first year of the game in his comments. And monthly updates might mean one month this, next month some missions, next month something else small, etc...and not all of these things every month.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    The players who have "cleared everything", no doubt wear poop socks, and exploited the pvp in the first 2 or 3 days doing an rve circle jerk to power themselves right up to QL 10
  • BigRock411BigRock411 Member Posts: 299

Rumor on the new york raid:

Leaked photo of the last boss

Discuss

Originally posted by BigRock411

Rumor on the new york raid:

Leaked photo of the last boss

Discuss

You know, it could happen.

• mWo4lifemWo4life Member Posts: 119

I'm happy to hear that they plan monthy pack of missions and other things. The only question is how big these packs will be.

• Ren128Ren128 Member UncommonPosts: 73
    Originally posted by Ryowulf

I think a lot of that stuff is mostly done, so they should be able to space it out over the next few months.

What happens in 4-6 months? I doubt it will be monthly updates of any real content. "The update for Oct adds 4 new hats... See we told you we would keep giving you updates each month." :P

Obviously you haven't played Team Fortress 2, we're lucky if we get 4 new hats a month.

• The_GamblesThe_Gambles Member Posts: 25

IF they hold true to this, IF this is why we have a box price + sub + fluff shop. Then this is wholey approved and could be an amazing step forward for TSW and a longtime play on my Gaming list. IF they hold up there end of this, it will truly be spectacular.

• DakirnDakirn Member UncommonPosts: 372

Just 1 Question:

He actually answered this question in the main feedback thread.  I mentioned something about it and he responded.

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showpost.php?p=1226471&postcount=151

Originally Posted by Dakirn View Post
    For people wondering how they can do the voice over so quickly..

Likely the voice recording for these was done months ago in preparation for using it after launch and allowing the content team to make the quests and have the voice overs there for them.

I imagine we'll see The Pickup with Cassandra back with one of these, yay

I'm absolutely floored with the ambitiousness of this, though. Loving it all the way.

p.s. give Che his sandals back. Thanks.

You're not wrong, sir. Ma'am. Person.

We have been preparing for post-launch content for a long, long time -- several years, in fact -- and not only do we have missions ready to roll for the first update, we're also already in production on future updates.

As for recording VO, we have an amazingly optimised process with tons of skilled people. We can go from receiving a new design, to writing dialogue, casting, recording, editing and doing motion capture within a week. A finished cut-scene can be ready -- if needed and we focus our cinematic team on it -- a week after that. I don't think there are a lot of companies in this industry that can say the same, but we have a lot of experience in this area, after doing TLJ, Dreamfall, and now The Secret World -- all games heavy on dialogue and cinematic sequences.

Of course, for the most part, we like to spend a little longer getting everything perfect, but at most, it's about a month from writing the dialogue to having a finished cut-scene in the game -- and we plan ahead. I've already looked at and approved a couple of cinematics for 1.3, which is due in September. So...yeah. We got this covered.

• VultureSkullVultureSkull Member UncommonPosts: 1,774
    Originally posted by JayZas

IF they hold true to this, IF this is why we have a box price + sub + fluff shop. Then this is wholey approved and could be an amazing step forward for TSW and a longtime play on my Gaming list. IF they hold up there end of this, it will truly be spectacular.

So far everything FC has said is happening. Of course we are scared that we will be jilted as we have been so many times in the past with so many promising games.

The MMO industry is a developing one and as such it is hard to get it right first time(s) and it seems that after 15 years of trying FC are now getting it right. It does not take a genius to know what to do and what the masses want, it just takes a committed team and adequate finances to pull it off properly.

TSW launch was a success, people have taken to the game massively and a quite few Life Time Subs have sold, as well as GM packs, so i guess the balance looks healthy. I do believe that they intend to keep the majority of the dev team together(who incidentally will not have to spend time in bug quashing and polish) to create this additional content, it seems it is their new way of doing things, something that I believe started with AoC, but taken to a new level here.

And finally Ragnar has more or less put his reputation on the line by the posts he made regarding this, he of course knows that he can deliver given the dev team he has in place.

The MMO genre has taken a step forward with TSW and Funcom and I wish them all the success with their outstanding game.

• VultureSkullVultureSkull Member UncommonPosts: 1,774

snip

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718

I just going to sit and listen to all the sweet whisper from Ragnar Tornquist.

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)