Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Combat Questions

2»

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Originally posted by Fearum

I really don't want FPS combat mechanics in my MMORPG games. If I wanted FPS combat I would play a FPS. You really don't seem to get that. I understand  your a Darkfall Fanboy and think its the greatest game ever, but I don't think the game is worth anything. You can't change my mind or the fact that the game is crap and nobody plays it.

and honestly that is a different conversation.

Most people, and I think you. are either explictly stating or implictly stating that its not possible. Not that it is possible but they dont like it that much which is two very radically different statements.

I dont like 3rd person view at all, but I know its possible.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by SEANMCAD

I really don't want FPS combat mechanics in my MMORPG games. If I wanted FPS combat I would play a FPS. You really don't seem to get that. I understand  your a Darkfall Fanboy and think its the greatest game ever, but I don't think the game is worth anything. You can't change my mind or the fact that the game is crap and nobody plays it.

Most people, and I think you. are either explictly stating or implictly stating that its not possible. Not that it is possible but they dont like it that much which is two very radically different statements.

I'm not sure exactly what your talking about here, what do I think is not possible? A first person shooter combat in a mmo? or first person view in a mmo? I think they are both possible but I was talking first person shooter (FPS) combat style because this thread is about combat.

I like 3rd person view in most games. I use it in all the game I play BF3, Skyrim and DayZ only to zoom in when I need to fire at people.

• MexorillaMexorilla Member Posts: 313
    Originally posted by immodium
    Originally posted by Wolvards

I know that there is no first person view, it will be third person with limited hotbar, and classes, but i've seen many many people post if it isn't Skyrim online, or FPS based, that the game will fail, and I just don't understand how that combat would work in an MMO universe. 

it currently does work in the MMO universe. Darkfall, Mortal Online does it perfectly and no the FPS combat is NOT why the games were not hugely successful and yes Darkfall does FPS WITH 100+ people on the screen fighting. So I really do not understand where people get this idea that FPS combat doesnt work in the MMO universe when it already exists!

Its not the FPS shooter part, it's the Skyrim part. How would SKYRIM combat work in an MMO setting? How would you swap spells? It works for Skyrim cause it's single palyer, and you essentialy "pause" to swap to healing/shield/bow/whatever. But in an MMO setting SKYRIM combat WOULDNT work. Yet all i hear and read is...

"If it doesn't have the trademark Skyrim/TES combat the game will fail".

How do you put Skyrim combat into an MMO?

I have a mod for Skyrim installed called extra hot keys. I never need to pause during combat now to take potions or swap weapons/spells. Like others have mentioned, it can be done in an MMO enviroment.

EDIT: Actually, I can voice activate the hot keys with another bit of software :)

lol that;s awesome.  do you shout fus ro dah at your computer?

• ZigZagsZigZags Member UncommonPosts: 381

I want to see combat like Age of Conan had, where you hit keys for directional attacks and you and to choose where to block. That would combine some of the real time combat aspects of Skyrim with more practicality of an MMO and an incentive to play in 3rd person (if thats the direction they're going).

I would like to see Archery and Spells be manually aimed and I want to see this done well and balanced correctly. I would imagine a hit would be devestating, but hitting a live person who can strafe and jump might be difficult. Spells should do a lot of damage as well. Balance this with the fact that pure spell casters will want to not wear armor for Magika regen and/or spell dmg buff. Allow players to craft resistances on their armor to fire/ice/ligtning/poison/disease, dont allow resistances on mage clothes, but give them spell buffs.

Fatalities looked cool in Conan, I want them in TESO just like Skyrim. So in conclusion, a quasi AoC combat style mixed with Skyrim is what I want for TESO.

Dragnon - Guildmaster - Albion Central Bank in Albion Online

www.albioncentralbank.enjin.com

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868

I'm not sure exactly what your talking about here, what do I think is not possible? A first person shooter combat in a mmo? or first person view in a mmo? I think they are both possible but I was talking first person shooter (FPS) combat style because this thread is about combat.

I like 3rd person view in most games. I use it in all the game I play BF3, Skyrim and DayZ only to zoom in when I need to fire at people.

You can't play 3rd person in BF3, except in vehicles.

In DayZ 3rd person is used as an exploit to corner-look without exposing yourself.

3rd person combat in Skyrim is unwieldy at best.

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by Mexorilla
    Originally posted by immodium

I know that there is no first person view, it will be third person with limited hotbar, and classes, but i've seen many many people post if it isn't Skyrim online, or FPS based, that the game will fail, and I just don't understand how that combat would work in an MMO universe. 

it currently does work in the MMO universe. Darkfall, Mortal Online does it perfectly and no the FPS combat is NOT why the games were not hugely successful and yes Darkfall does FPS WITH 100+ people on the screen fighting. So I really do not understand where people get this idea that FPS combat doesnt work in the MMO universe when it already exists!

Its not the FPS shooter part, it's the Skyrim part. How would SKYRIM combat work in an MMO setting? How would you swap spells? It works for Skyrim cause it's single palyer, and you essentialy "pause" to swap to healing/shield/bow/whatever. But in an MMO setting SKYRIM combat WOULDNT work. Yet all i hear and read is...

"If it doesn't have the trademark Skyrim/TES combat the game will fail".

How do you put Skyrim combat into an MMO?

I have a mod for Skyrim installed called extra hot keys. I never need to pause during combat now to take potions or swap weapons/spells. Like others have mentioned, it can be done in an MMO enviroment.

EDIT: Actually, I can voice activate the hot keys with another bit of software :)

lol that;s awesome.  do you shout fus ro dah at your computer?

Of course, feel like a true Dovahkiin when I do. Got all dragon shouts binded. Got other mods so the dragon shouts are performed while I say them, not when I finish. Also removed the sound effect of each.

If anyones interested the software is called VAC: http://www.dwcac.com

Forum post with video tutorials: http://www.dwvac.com/vac_phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=394

Tutorial & Download package: http://www.dwvac.com/stvc/STVC_Stage5_FULL.php

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

communication breakdown.

I am saying 1st view is completely possible in an MMO just as it is in a single player game. Some say its not possible. I thought you were saying its not possible and that you dont want it in an MMO. Thing is those two statements are RADICALLY different.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me