Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You top 3 best and worst mmorpg communities (TODAY)

1235»

Comments

• gordiflugordiflu Member UncommonPosts: 757

Best:

Vanguard

Champions Online

Freelancer, Shattered Worlds mod.

Worst:

Global Agenda

World of Warcraft

Diablo II

Ok, I know some of the games up there are not technically mmorpgs, but their communities were so good (or so bad) that they were worth the mention.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

I wouldn't know because all MMO communities have gotten so horribly bad in the last 5 years that I've pretty much given up on MMOs for now. This really isn't the players fault however. When developers stopped giving players any game mechanics that require player interaction the communities stopped interacting. Now players hardly speak to each other even when grouped. Who has the best community? There is absolutely NO community in todays MMOs... period.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737

Worst

1.) Eve Online

2.) GW2

3.) WOW

Best

1.) Lotro

2.) EQ2

3.) Fallen Earth.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

the people who picked eve as one of their worst must have never gotten into any of the good 0.0 corps or heard of eve university.  eve uni is a 1000 person support team for new players that is 100 % community created and run.

anyhow.

my top 3

3) eve online

2)LOTRO (LOTRO's main leg-up against its competition is its community IMHO)

1) vanguard

honourable mention: Rift

my bottom 3

3) WoW

2) Aion

1) by a long, long LONG margin... League of Legends

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    GW2 is the best community I don't think I've seen any unnormal talk even from randoms. WoW has the worst community ever next to f2p asian games.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by bunnyhopper
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

Best: UO, AC1, LOTRO (all are still running, so all are today's MMORPGs).

Worse: anything with FFA PvP with full loot. Darkfail, MO, etc... are breeding grounds for asshats.

UO had ffa and looting.

To be honest if the players of LOTRO had the ability to clobber each other you would soon see their true colours. Only when someone has the chance to pummel you into the ground or otherwise "do you over" and they don't, do you know something of their character.

I agree with your statement regarding "see their true colors", but then again, I think most people are capable of doing "horrible things" given that they have the right incentives. For instance, fighting for the life of your family is a powerful motivation that can make people do things they otherwise wouldn't. People need to be exposed to choices in order for people to accurately judge their character; which is why true colors are easier seen in games with loot rolls, political system, kill steals, Open PvP, etc.

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877
    Originally posted by Draron
    Originally posted by Gorwe
    It is peculiar how GW 2 has Split Community here...

Guild Wars 1 Community is one of the best. Such is price of popularity I guess...

From my experience with GW1, the community was full of immature players. When I started my first character and asked for a person to party up to get the res signet (Prophecies campaign), someone joined but as soon as we left town left the party. Lot's of immature chat going on too. 

And yet you mark EVE as a top community which is by far way worse and has rampant immature talk like "yeah run biatch" and countless other smack talk like that in system chat which reminds me of high schoolers.  And lets not forget the whole Goonswarm debaticle where the leader publically told people to try to make a player commit suicide.  Jumping on the hate bandwagon are we?

While community opinion is highly subjective GW2 is hardy in anyway the worst as there are numerous MMOs like WoW, AoC, and EVE that have easily worse community which for EVE that is the nature of the game.

• BrotherDBrotherD Member Posts: 52

Best now:

SWG, EVE, AO, LORTO, RIFT

Worst:

WoW, EVE

Currently playing: AoC, RIFT, Champions Online, DDO, LORTO, STO and Tribes: Ascend
    Have Played: TSW, SWG, AO, EVE, WOW, EQ, EQ2, SW:TOR, GW,CoH, DCUO, RotMG, WAR,

• HexipoxHexipox Member UncommonPosts: 241

Best:  1. EverQuest 2. Ultima Online 3. SW:TOR

Worst:  1. Rift  2. Warhammer Online 3. World of Warcraft (great at launch, shit years after)

• punkrock2punkrock2 Member UncommonPosts: 78

Best: FFXIV, Ryzom,  GW2

Bad: WOW, SWTOR,  Can`t think of a 3rd.

• BoardwalkerBoardwalker Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Originally posted by Ambros123 

And yet you mark EVE as a top community which is by far way worse and has rampant immature talk like "yeah run biatch" and countless other smack talk like that in system chat which reminds me of high schoolers.  And lets not forget the whole Goonswarm debaticle where the leader publically told people to try to make a player commit suicide.  Jumping on the hate bandwagon are we?

While community opinion is highly subjective GW2 is hardy in anyway the worst as there are numerous MMOs like WoW, AoC, and EVE that have easily worse community which for EVE that is the nature of the game.

My experience with EVE has been the exact opposite. It is, quite easily (to me), the best community with the most mature players. Granted, I've only played it for 6 years, so I'm not sure what it was like in the very beginning, but compared to other MMOs, it is a jewel of relative maturity.

EVE, TSW, DAoC are the best communites that I have experienced

WoW (by sheer number of players) and LoL (not really an MMO though) are the worst that I have experienced

They can adjust a game all day, but they can't help the issue between the keyboard and the chair.
    Played: UO, DAoC, AC, WoW, EVE, TR, WAR, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, GW2, TSW, ESO, Elite:D
    Play EVE for free for 21 days