Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You top 3 best and worst mmorpg communities (TODAY)

Comments

• IrusIrus Member Posts: 774

Best: LotrO

Worst: Darkfall

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Best :  EQ, DAoC (US servers) LOTRO

Worst ;  DAoC (EU servers), Shadowbane, WoW (post 2008)

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352

Best:

Final Fantasy 11, EvE Online, Phantasy Star Online 2

Worst:

WoW, StarTrek Online, SWTOR

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

• kDeviLkDeviL Member UncommonPosts: 215

I'm glad I'm not the only one that see's it, In over 10 years on playing MMOs, Guild Wars 2 has by FAR the most amazing community I've ever had the privilage of being a part of.  It's honestly to the point that if your somebody that's waiting for GW2 and you meet anyone in another game that's waiting for it.. You're almost instantly friends, It's insane.

I don't know if it's the fact that everybody is sick of how stale and boring this genre has gotten and together all realize that GW2 is the light at the end of the tunnel as the innovation we've all been waiting for.. Or if it's because of the features in every aspect of the game that strongly encourage everyone to play together to reach a certain goal and doesn't penalize you for doing so. Or if it's just that no other developer has shown nearly as much passion in their game as Anet does to demand the respect they've received from their fans, which in turn causes fan-to-fan respect(?).. I don't know, but somehow they've done something incredible. 

As for worst I'm going to have to say Tera, I knew just from the forums how bad it was going to be in-game and damn I was right lol, I'm all for a brutal pvp community, in fact I prefer it as it just gives me a bigger reason to get stronger and more skilled in order to shut them the hell up but that's not where tera's community stops.. It's the biggest group of immature and straight retarded kids I've ever seen in one place.  You can't ask or say a single thing in Tera without some unloved 12yr old blurting out what must be the funniest shit in the world to him, but realistically gets him picked on all day at school. I don't understand how Tera brought in so many fags because otherwise it's actually a decent game. The community deffinately will be (and for the most part already is) Tera's collapse, it'll be F2P in less then a year.

If WoW was released today even in its' entirety it would be f2p in 3 months.
    Why is it still such a big deal?

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

Worst is WoW with GW2 will be a 2nd.

Best would Lotro or Rift.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Best Three:

Star Trek Online

LOTRO

Mortal Online

Honorable Mention: TSW has a very good community right now, but it's still new.

Worst Three:

Darkfall

EvE

Guild Wars (1 and 2)

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• TerronteTerronte Member Posts: 321

Best: Ryzom, Vanguard

Worst: Tera, Secret World

• ValuaValua Member Posts: 520
    Originally posted by Adalwulff

GW2 is already showing the best community I have seen in years.

Really? I think it's proving to be very standard and fanboish. 

Most threads on this website raving about any new MMO other than GW2 gets GW2 fanboi's all over it debunking it because it's not GW2.

Not a very good community, like most.

Overall communites are never really good anyway, it's the smaller ones you take part that matter, friends, guilds etc. We won't know if GW2 has them until it's live.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

EQ, EQ2, LOTRO, VG: all still have stellar communities

TSW: seems good so far, probably will fall somewher ein between top group and Rft

Rift: good people playing but no real out-of-guild community.  People never chat in dungeons, IAs, or Rifts.  Some elitists in dungeon finder groups.

WoW: Has tons of good people playing.  Tons of trolls and elitists make you forget that.  Community nowehere near as bad as advertised though.  WoW players dont hurt other games communities, its the WoW bashers that do.

TERA: pretty atrocious

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,455
    Originally posted by bunnyhopper
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

Best: UO, AC1, LOTRO (all are still running, so all are today's MMORPGs).

Worse: anything with FFA PvP with full loot. Darkfail, MO, etc... are breeding grounds for asshats.

UO had ffa and looting.

And that's why they had to add Trammel urgently to save the game when EQ got released and people were sick if being ganked when all they wanted to do is crafting and trading.

UO pre-trammel was an asshat breeding ground. Origin barely saved the game by adding trammel just in time.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• otinanai123otinanai123 Member Posts: 265

best:

GW1

DAoC (early years)

Rift

worst:

WoW

Runes of Magic

Warhammer online (when it still had people)

• khamul787khamul787 Member UncommonPosts: 193

Best:

• GW1/2
    • TSW (not a huge fan of the game, but the people are great ^ ^)
    • EVE
    Worst:
    • TERA
    • WoW
    • EVE 
    Never met a friendlier community than that of GW. Never met a more insulting and offensive community than general chat in TERA (not everyone of course, not meant as a personal attack, but damn are there some insane people there...). EVE's got tons of both and has a very strong and connected community in general, so you kind of get the best and worst there.

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156
    Originally posted by Rohn

Best Three:

Star Trek Online

LOTRO

Mortal Online

Honorable Mention: TSW has a very good community right now, but it's still new.

Worst Three:

Darkfall

EvE

Guild Wars (1 and 2)

LOL, the reason i think that's funny is because usually the trolls are far more vocal at launch, only to get better a few months later. Most of the times atleast. image

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Ive heard the Lotro community is pertty good.

• neuronomadneuronomad Member Posts: 1,276

So far TSW seems to be pretty good but that is usually the case with newly launched MMOs before Elitest pricks come out of the wood work.

LOTRO and DDO always seemed pretty good to me.

TERA had a pretty bad community.

Honestly though the general MMO community seems like church camp when compared against MOBA communitys.

--------------------------------
    Currently Playing: Guild Wars 2 and Path of Exile

Quit: Eden Eternal, Wakfu, DDO, STO, DCUO, Sword 2, Atlantica Online, LOTRO, SWTOR, RIFT, Earthrise, FFXIV, RoM, Allods Online, GA,WAR,CO,V:SoH,POTBS,TR,COH/COV, WOW, DDO,AL, EQ, Eve, L2, AA, Mx0, SWG, SoR, AO, RFO, DAoC, and others.
    www.twitter.com/mlwhitt
    www.michaelwhitt.com

• KazuhiroKazuhiro Member UncommonPosts: 606

Best: Honestly I can't think of one that deserves such a rating. MMO communities in general are full of adolecent imbeciles.

Worst: LOTRO (Monster Play), EVE, Perpetuum

To find an intelligent person in a PUG is not that rare, but to find a PUG made up of "all" intelligent people is one of the rarest phenomenons in the known universe.

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,177

I loved the Face of Mankind community. Talked to a lot of different poeple in that game. From the gankers to the die hard support players and most of them where actually great poeple to know. It's the only time I really could get involved in the community, where I felt that I wanted to get involved.  

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

My top 3 would be:

WoW- Some of the nicest people I have in games I have met in this game

LOtRO- Tha same goes for this community

Vanguard- Probably one of the all time best communities I have come across

There are more but the OP wanted to keep this fairly current.

My bottom 3 would be:

WoW- Some of the worst most assinine people I have met in gaming I have met here

Age of Conan- Mainly from the PvP server, come on people, you're not "wolves" when your killing a guy stuck in a cutscene...

Guild Wars 2- Not released yet I know, but the almost violent devotion seen on this site kind of turns my stomach.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

Best: Wurm Online, Mortal Online, Fallen Earth

Worst: WoW, APB, EVE

• Ren128Ren128 Member UncommonPosts: 73

TSW, FE, AO are good. Rift's ok. WoW was probably the worst I've seen. 

One thing I noticed about TSW is that after playing it for over a week, I still haven't seen a single BUYGOLD DOT COM (or rather BUYPAX DOT COM) message in general. Tera had heaps of those in NA beta.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by GTwander

Worst: EVE, Mortal Online and APB

I have to agree that worst is definitely APB, for those who haven't played it.

Nothing else is even close.

The problem with APB's community is, the people who plays on  the criminal side REALLY thinks they are some hardcore gangsters just because they play a game. Some even try to talk in the gangster Mexican accent in VoIP, lol. Pretty sad imo.

• beorrahnbeorrahn Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by Ren128

One thing I noticed about TSW is that after playing it for over a week, I still haven't seen a single BUYGOLD DOT COM (or rather BUYPAX DOT COM) message in general. Tera had heaps of those in NA beta.

The lack of gold sellers was probably because their chat has been as broken as everyone else's (seems to finally be fixed now though) - I did see one gold seller spam, but it was removed quite quickly.

My votes:

Best: LoTRO (has always been amazingly helpful and friendly every since the beginning), EVE (some of them), TSW (the game may only have been released a couple weeks ago, but it's had a strong - if small - community of awesome people for 5 years)

Worst: EVE (yeah), GW2 (rabid fanboism, rampant spamming of "GW2 will cure cancer and create World Peace" in every fucking conversation, and the game's not even out yet!), any Korean Grinder (pick any of the millions of them)

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Best: None. MMORPGs do not have good communities.

Worst (going by these forums): The Secret World. I'm so glad 90% of TSW's forum community is currently playing the game. Now we only need to get rid of the other 10%.

Edit: I just found another game (not an MMORPG, but listed on the site) to add to the list: DayZ. The community is similar to that of TSW.

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,983

WoW had the worse community that I ever experienced in game and on the forums.  All the dozens of other games I played all had great communities minus the forum moderators.  Many forum mods playing god-butthead on the players have ruined games for me.  Nothing like having a mod who is a bigger troll than the trolls themselves.  Sadly, I left a few games because the moderators would not stop harassing the community.  But as for the people I really felt pretty attached to a lot of forum posters.  Like they were more my fiends than my in game friends.  Any time someone hurt my feelings or piffed me off in game or just annoyed me I could cry of the forum community's shoulder and they'd be like, "Oh yeah, same thing happened to me the other day," and I had friends there.  Till a moderator would come along and get jealous we were all sharing and say something stupid like, "This subject is no longer pertinent," or some stupid bla.

• ZippyZippy Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,412

Best:

Eq1, Daoc, Vanguard

Worst:

AoC:  Hands down the most juvenile onbnoxious self centered kiddie community of any MMO.  But the game was designed and targetted towards kiddie with an emphasis on juvenile themse with blood, gore, profanity and nudity with a simplified follwo the arrow target audience and shallow thoughtless gameplay.

2 and 3 Fill in any modern MMO with a PvP focus.