Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You top 3 best and worst mmorpg communities (TODAY)

It's the rebirth of this nearly 3 year old thread i never participated in: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/246625/page/1

So, to give more spice to the topic, because i have a feeling most of you will refernce EVE or LOTRO (and WOW), what are the 3 best and worst communities you're seen in mmos?

WARNING: Because i also know many of you will say the older mmorpgs like UO, EQ, DAOC, SWG, etc, i'm talking about the mmorpgs of today's time, being it AAA, indie, whatever, like Rift, SWTOR, FE, etc (probably the post-WOW mmos). I understand the older times might have been beter, but this is nowadays. Sorry image

Comments

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

GW2 is already showing the best community I have seen in years.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Best: Fallen Earth, Wurm and FFXIV

Worst: EVE, Mortal Online and APB

*notice a trend with the worst and their PvP nature*

I would say GW2 and TSW have a good community, but only because the people playing them, respectively, are dead-set fans of the game, so they tend to get along with their own kind - but if how the two camps bicker with each other is any sign of the real underlying stigmas within - then they could also go in the worst catagory.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181

Best.

EQ. It's still running and being updated, therefore it is 'of today's time'.

SWG. Still around (hush). In it's original form, you couldn't survive completely by yourself (unless you had multiple accounts).

Vanguard. Very friendly bunch of people and easy to find assistance when required (though my experience is maybe 2 years old)

Worst.

WoW. This game heralded the end of the gaming community as we once knew it. 

TERA. The rudeness, trolling, and immature behaviour caused me to drop my sub.

SWtOR. Same reasons as WoW and TERA.

(not sure why only the first line got posted before the edit)

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Best - daoc, coh, planetside
    Worst - wow, EQ, aion
  • oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

i'll make this very short.......imho communities in TODAY's games are dead.....the only one that will have a bit (at least i hope) of a communitie will be GW2 me thinks....but the rest is all single player games on servers with a fiew 100 or 1000 players occupying it but communities are far gone over the years.

people party to get to better loot, not because they want to do their part in a community.

my 2 copperz

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Today
    best tsw (although there's an annoying anti pvp, anti casual crowd who want to make it EQ with cthulhu)
    Worst still wow (but that's what comes with being the biggest, there's still nice people in wow, but being the biggest attracts the nob heads)
  • The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,455

Best: UO, AC1, LOTRO (all are still running, so all are today's MMORPGs).

Worse: anything with FFA PvP with full loot. Darkfail, MO, etc... are breeding grounds for asshats.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

I had some great guilds in some of the worst MMO communities, now this doesn't reflect what I think about the gameplay and this is outside of my guild friends.

- WoW, Lineage 2 and APB

The best communities I have come acrossed in my mmo history.

- Anarchy Online, SWG, LotRO and EQ in their PRIME!

MMO gaming communities aren't like they used to be, however Fallen Earth and The Secret World currently got a nice community going so far.

• zylon0zylon0 Member Posts: 36

Best: I have to agree on the community in GW2 beta. Will it change at release? probably.

Worst: while technicly not an mmo. Its listed in the game forums. League of legends.... Communities do not come worse then this.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

Best: UO, AC1, LOTRO (all are still running, so all are today's MMORPGs).

Worse: anything with FFA PvP with full loot. Darkfail, MO, etc... are breeding grounds for asshats.

UO had ffa and looting.

To be honest if the players of LOTRO had the ability to clobber each other you would soon see their true colours. Only when someone has the chance to pummel you into the ground or otherwise "do you over" and they don't, do you know something of their character.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• GaborikGaborik Member Posts: 251
    Best by far is LOTRO! And yes Lotro does have a PVP aspect. They call it PVMP. #2 swg #3 aoc
    Worst by far is WoW!! Truly believe Xrealm dungeon finder made it impossible for any other games community to come close so no reason to put a #2 or #3 WoWs community is that bad!
  • garbonzogarbonzo Member Posts: 260
    Originally posted by darwa

Worst.

TERA. The rudeness, trolling, and immature behaviour caused me to drop my sub.

Agreed. The zone chat was some of the most racist, homophobic, xenophobic, idiotic dribble I've ever seen in a game. As in any game, there were some nice, helpful people roaming about, but the chat made it feel like a 6th grade school yard. A decent guild would be a must but I lost interest before trying. 

• MorgarenMorgaren Member UncommonPosts: 397
    I like the community in wow, the server I am on at least. It's a small reg server though.

I am also impressed with Lotro, and surprisingly Aion. Not sure if they are the best but I enjoy the people. Also Darkfall, I hated the gameplay, but the people I met were freindly enough.

Worst has been EVE but the nature of the game ecourages backstabbing and bullying. League of Legends is horrible worth mentioning. I didn't like the people in rf online either.
  • MorvMorv Member UncommonPosts: 331
    Originally posted by FredomSekerZ

It's the rebirth of this nearly 3 year old thread i never participated in: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/246625/page/1

So, to give more spice to the topic, because i have a feeling most of you will refernce EVE or LOTRO (and WOW), what are the 3 best and worst communities you're seen in mmos?

WARNING: Because i also know many of you will say the older mmorpgs like UO, EQ, DAOC, SWG, etc, i'm talking about the mmorpgs of today's time, being it AAA, indie, whatever, like Rift, SWTOR, FE, etc (probably the post-WOW mmos). I understand the older times might have been beter, but this is nowadays. Sorry image

Bummer for you if you never played the older ones. My argument would be there isn't a single good game out there... /shrug, not one. Show me an online game made with passion and innovation and I'll retract that statement.

• MeliezaMelieza Member Posts: 269
    Originally posted by Morv
    Show me an online game made with passion and innovation and I'll retract that statement.

The Secret World.

As for the OP...

Best: TSW, FFXIV, CO

Worst: WoW, FFXI (although I still played it for 4 years), and of course LoL (even though its not MMO)

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620

Every MMO that comes out is going to have a crappy community, just a simple fact of large amounts of people and the anonymous nature of the internet.  Older games will in general have better communities, since the population is smaller, everyone on a particular server is more likely to know everyone else, and the average age of the players in games that are a decade or more old is likely to be 30s-40s, which generally will lead to more mature players.

• SythionSythion Member Posts: 422

DDO.

I pretty much only do pugs, and people tend to be very reasonable and even accepting of failure.

• SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743

The Secret World seems to have the best community atm in my opinion, this has to do with how Funcom gets the community involved in activities. Guild Wars 2 started off with a really good community, but now it seems to be going the way of Wow's, I recall a thread was posted here awhile ago and the OP was asking a question about races and some GW2 people called him stupid.

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

Best:

GW1

GW2

LOTRO

Worst

World of Tanks

WoW

World of Tanks

• WalterWhiteWalterWhite Member UncommonPosts: 411

I haven't come across a modern MMO that has a good community. I think I was fortunate enough to experience the fantastic community that SWG had and have been left jaded by all others since.

The worst has to be WoW. When WoW players migrate to other MMO's they take a lot of their attitude with them which spreads like a virus.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Sythion

DDO.

I pretty much only do pugs, and people tend to be very reasonable and even accepting of failure.

DDO is my choice too for the best community ive seen -- for pickup groups

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Best: GW, SMT: Imagine (aka MegaTen), AOC (95% of the time)

Worst: No clue.  I don't interact if chat is toxic.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,789

NONE. I have never found any real "community" in any MMO ever. I have found people playing the same game and EVERYONE pushing for their own agenda. I have played a lot of MMO's and in all you have good people and bad people. But in no case was their really a community. All of them have snipers and trolls and griefers. All of them have people trying to help as best they can. That still does not make a community. The personas you think you see online are not particularly the same persona you would see in real life. I submit that you can not have a community online.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• NethermancerNethermancer Member Posts: 520

Top Three

Vangaurd

Fallen Earth

Eve online

Bottom Three

WoW

Darkfall

Eve online

seriously Eve online belongs in both

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Best:

Dark Age Of Camelot (early years)

Planetside

Ultima Online

Asheron's Call

LOTRO (Landroval server)

Worst:

World of Warcraft

Star Wars the Old Republic

Guild Wars 1

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot