Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Features from Minecraft in full scale AAA MMO

coretex666coretex666 PraguePosts: 1,934Member Uncommon

I recently got to play Minecraft. My expectations were quite low after watching various videos on youtube. I was positively surprised by the game.

I started to think about its features and the way the game uses them and I realized that much of what is in the game would be absolutely fantastic in a full scale AAA MMO.

I will make several points just to demonstrate my thoughts.

The game feels realistic.

Food

As soon as you start, food becomes your concern. You dont eat, you die. You dont just find plenty of food on the ground or on the trees, you need to grow your own crops or get animals as a source of meat which you then need to cook. The mechanisms around it are not so simplified. You need to prepare the field, get water system, put the seeds there, wait, then harvest. Also kind of realistic.

Building

Build house out of any material found in the game, of any shape, of any size you want. Do you want a wooden house?Go cut some trees. For that, you need to make yourself an axe first. Want windows in your house?Go get sand, build an oven of some sort, make glass out of it and then make windows. It felt kind of refreshing. Nothing is dumped down like in AAA games out there. Almost no MMO has housing. In this game, you dont survive without one...to me, it kind of makes sense.

Crafting

For crafting, you need materials. Need wood, look for trees on the surface. Need coal. dig under ground. Need iron, gold, diamonds? Dig even deeper under the ground. Quality of items is depenedent on the material which I also find realistic comparing to other games. Variety of useful items you can craft is huge and the crafting process at least attempts to make sense...like putting wood and coal together makes you a torch. Also crafting items like compass, clock, fishing poles...it all makes sense in the game. All the items are useful.

I could go on and on, but it is not the purpose of this threat. I wanted to tell that minecraft has shown me how cool it would be if we got some realistic AAA MMO and how unrealistic current AAA MMOs are.

I wanted to find out if there are other people who maybe share this view or have some sort of opinion on this. Maybe it is just me...

Thanks for any reasonable input. Feel free to disagree

Waiting for L2 EU Classic

Comments

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread PshPosts: 5,498Member Uncommon

I think you just desribed Wurm Online.

• GTwanderGTwander San Diego, CAPosts: 6,035Member
    Originally posted by colddog04

Made by Notch as well, but nowhere near triple-A production values... yet.

Here is a new spider model/animation. Notice the contrast between it and everything else.

Here is where new player models/animations are moving to in the future.

Give it another 3 years and it might be able to piecemeal itself into a decent position.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• ZarriyaZarriya Long Island, NYPosts: 287Member Uncommon

i think what you are feeling coretex is what a lot of people are wanting lately: A AAA MMO that is in a sandbox world. My guild decided to take a break from themepark MMOs and we played Minecraft and all agreed that we had the most fun as a guild playing and working toegether as a guild with that game.  It is the most I have seen people truly interact.

• WindamereWindamere Salisbury, NCPosts: 59Member

True, Since Marcus  was one of the original creators (Client side creator) of Wurm Online that only makes sense.

• maplestonemaplestone Ottawa, ONPosts: 3,099Member

The problem with MMO-izing Minecraft is griefing.  If you want a no-holds barred world or a single player world, then it's fine, but if you want a shared world that people feel invested in, then the damage to the experience that can be inflicted by players who specialize in griefing becomes larger and larger.

• CaldrinCaldrin CwmbranPosts: 4,533Member Uncommon

You just need to kill the griefers :)

There are some very nice Minecraft servers out there with mmo mods and some have over 200 player slots... so maybe not massive but still a lot of fun..

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Arkham, VAPosts: 10,910Member

Originally posted by Caldrin
    You just need to kill the griefers :) There are some very nice Minecraft servers out there with mmo mods and some have over 200 player slots... so maybe not massive but still a lot of fun..  

That doesn't work. It requires an admin to manage the griefing, ban players, and fix grief damage. The larger the player base, the more admins you need to manage the players. I'm not sure this is something that's manageable with thousands of players at a time. It's certainly not cost effective. That doesn't even get into what happens when one of your admins goes berserk or just up and quits.

It works pretty well on a small scale, but I'm not convinced it would work on a large scale. I've seen servers where it works well, but that's mostly because the servers are not massive, and because there are a lot of restrictions on what players can do and where they can do the usual Minecraft stuff.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• CaldrinCaldrin CwmbranPosts: 4,533Member Uncommon

if its open pvp minecraft server then you just have to deal with it... I like servers running the factinos mod because at least then they have to be cleaver about getting into your base..

but if anyone is destorying my base then they get it back just as bad :)

if its open pvp minecraft server then you just have to deal with it... I like servers running the factinos mod because at least then they have to be cleaver about getting into your base..

Yeah, but then you are dealing with a playstyle where efforts have no permanency - so what is the point of artistic expression?

I will use Wurm as *another* example here:

While you can pretty much beautify and customize your surroundings in the PvE servers, there is no point to it in the PvP ones, because they *will* get messed up eventually. It changes the whole world-building philosophy from aesthetics to purely utility. Namely, that of building "defensively", working with less space in general, and with less amenites.

• ShariestShariest VarkausPosts: 44Member

I also play MC and watch people play it on youtube, and also think that it would be awesome MMORPG...But, many problems come to my mind...

N1. Resources:

If we talk about the RL thing in minecraft, and add it to a bigger audience, first problem will definetly be limited AND playerbase relative resources.

Let's take an example: You start the game, and notice, you need to cut down some trees. BUT some players haven't planted the saplings, and now only saplings are cowered with people waiting... Good News! There's a trading system! But, you will need to kill monsters to get some money, so instead you go to find a tree.

After farming for a tree (Lol :D) you have some awesome stuff, like a weapon! But monsters are being cornered by players too, so in order to get one killed, you spend another hour or so farming. (Wait, isn't this why i left other MMO's?)

After doing the mentioned,you think it would be a good time to build your very own home! Well, ofc, it should be far away, and somehow repel curious adventures from getting in... Also there's TNT...

N. 2. Player control...

"I'll be taking this dirt"

"The Eff you doing to my bunker?!!"

How to make players not destroy each others property? Jail?Kick?Ban? Take away his/her shovel? :D

N. 3 Player amount?

With MC things in mind, one server would be chaotic without players being part of THAT server... Seeing your house,your chest gone after relog? 

Too Bad?

And player Cap should be low too, the servers can't just keep getting bigger like in MC, they would overheat and crash from trying to hold all that data... ( And the every second increasing amount of it :/ )

"I wonder where the world ends Trololololololololo..."*Crash*

Whew, voiced my opinion... *Not a native speaker, any grammatical errors likely to be included*

Originally posted by Shariest

How to make players not destroy each others property? Jail?Kick?Ban? Take away his/her shovel? :D

MC is releasing in-game currency soon, I can see it moving to a "claim" mechanic where you purchase land in square-footage with an infinite volume of depth that simply can't be touched by anyone not let on permissions.

Simple... unless you're the one coding it.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread PshPosts: 5,498Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by GTwander

Yeah, but then you are dealing with a playstyle where efforts have no permanency - so what is the point of artistic expression?

I will use Wurm as *another* example here:

While you can pretty much beautify and customize your surroundings in the PvE servers, there is no point to it in the PvP ones, because they *will* get messed up eventually. It changes the whole world-building philosophy from aesthetics to purely utility. Namely, that of building "defensively", working with less space in general, and with less amenites.

I noticed this happening in Minecraft towards the beginning of my play even just in Single Player.

If I played on peaceful, I would construct these amazing things. They were mainly inspired by what I wanted to see aesthetically. If I played on Normal or Hard, my structures all ended up being focused on defensive posturing first (moats, traps, bridges, indoor farms, underground forests, etc) and then aesthetics second.

In a multiplayer setting it changes even more because the "AI" (ie people) is a lot less predictable. 

And to Caldrin's point, the idea that because they destroyed mine, I will destroy their's usually doesn't work for a few reasons. One of which is that they may have nothing to destroy. They may just be intent on griefing.

• ShariestShariest VarkausPosts: 44Member
    Originally posted by GTwander
    Originally posted by Shariest

MC is releasing in-game currency soon, I can see it moving to a "claim" mechanic where you purchase land in square-footage with an infinite volume of depth that simply can't be touched by anyone not let on permissions.

Simple... unless you're the one coding it.

I feel happy for players, but feel bad for coders -_-'

I'm getting cold shivers from just thinking about coding that system :)

• MeltdownMeltdown Home, NHPosts: 1,184Member Uncommon

Well at least ownership isn't unprecedented, if you recall UO's housing system and giving permissions on items/chests. Also with Minecrafts dynamically generated world there will always be enough content for everyone playing. It would be interesting. I'm not saying that this would be an easy feat, perhaps even impossible in scope. But I have all the respect in the world for Notch and what he has created and what they are STILL upgrading and adding content too.

People mentioned Wurm Online, I would also mention Xsyon, although not nearly as flexible a system, they already have land ownership, much better graphics, some slight land alterations (mostly just lowering, raising, leveling not nearly on the scope of minecraft). Interesting MMOs to follow, but they almost all seem to start out extremely small, features creep in extremely slow, and there are huge technical problems to overcome. 

"They essentially want to say 'Correlation proves Causation' when it's just not true." - Sovrath