Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gamebreaker TV about GW2: brawn vs brains

Comments

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by Mephster
    Originally posted by colddog04

GW2 has only 5 weapon skills per bar, how skillful can one be with so little skills available to them. I'm sorry but the learning curve for this game is very low. If you can't figure out how to use those skills limited skills to the best of your ability then I can't see how skill will determine how well you do. It isn't difficult to figure it out.

There is ~15 to 20 skills that you can actively use on 7/8 classes. The engineer can use up to ~40-45.

For instance, An Elemetalist equips a weapon and has access to 20 weapon skills as well as a heal skill, 3 utility skills and an elite skill. For them it is 25 unique active skills through the use of 1 weapon, all of which can be switched out for 30+ different unique active skills.

For another instance, a Mesmer can use two weapon sets that gives them access to 10 skills. They also also have 1 heal, 3 utility and 1 elite. On top of that, they have 4 class skills. That is 19 unique active skills, 15 of which can be switched out for over 30 different skills.

So no, there are not on'y 5 weapon skills per bar. Hopefully this helps you.

Swapping weapons but still at any time in the game you only get to use 5 weapon skills at a time. It isn't difficult! Yeah tons of skill right there.

I think you are a bit lost at what skill means. Besides the fact there is skill involved even in using 4 skills like in a moba, GW2 has way more complexity in it than "5 wpn skills" like you are mentioning.

• D_shandrilD_shandril Member Posts: 116
    Originally posted by thexrated

The common mantra associated with GW2 that says, "With this game, you can just have fun", is based on personal preferences of a certain type of gamers. How people have fun is very subjective, for example, one of the reasons I like MMORPGs is because I can improve my characters over time. I am certain that many play MMORPGs for that reason. If I want to play more skill focused game, I would play FPS or RTS etc., or a hybrid MMORPG that combines theorycrafting, personal skill and improving your character overtime.

Even the title of this thread tries to be demeaning towards people who enjoy improving their characters, trying to postulate that it is somehow inferior to those who think that they are akin to the korean micro-management gods. Sorry, but improving your character has always been a major feature in RPGs. If you want to compete in PvP, like in WoW, you will have the best class, the best build and the best gear to do it. In other words, it requires effort. You will still need personal skill and lots of practise to compete for the top spots. GW2 really just removes gear from consideration (aka improving your character over time). You still need the best class and the best build and lots of personal skill and practise.

All the above in mind, the PvE game of GW2 is probably not going to have much longevity for some players. I probably play a character through it once and do some of the harder stuff, but I am not interested in cosmetic improvements. I like to optimize my character for  various tasks and I get bored rather quick, if there is no way to accomplish it.

I agree that how people have fun is very subjective but i disagree with the fact that you seem to claim that gear progression equal character progression.

In my opininon, in a game based on gear progression the gear eventually remove the feeling of character progression. The reason for that is that the gear become so strong that your character  with gear = god without gear = worm. It does not make sense and it is an immersion breaker for me.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188
    Originally posted by Kuppa

GW2 has only 5 weapon skills per bar, how skillful can one be with so little skills available to them. I'm sorry but the learning curve for this game is very low. If you can't figure out how to use those skills limited skills to the best of your ability then I can't see how skill will determine how well you do. It isn't difficult to figure it out.

There is ~15 to 20 skills that you can actively use on 7/8 classes. The engineer can use up to ~40-45.

For instance, An Elemetalist equips a weapon and has access to 20 weapon skills as well as a heal skill, 3 utility skills and an elite skill. For them it is 25 unique active skills through the use of 1 weapon, all of which can be switched out for 30+ different unique active skills.

For another instance, a Mesmer can use two weapon sets that gives them access to 10 skills. They also also have 1 heal, 3 utility and 1 elite. On top of that, they have 4 class skills. That is 19 unique active skills, 15 of which can be switched out for over 30 different skills.

Swapping weapons but still at any time in the game you only get to use 5 weapon skills at a time. It isn't difficult! Yeah tons of skill right there.

I think you are a bit lost at what skill means. Besides the fact there is skill involved even in using 4 skills like in a moba, GW2 has way more complexity in it than "5 wpn skills" like you are mentioning.

Compared to the original game this game has no skill required to learn the game. Compared to the original it has been significantly been dumbed down from top to bottom for the sake of sales and a low learning curve. 

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Compared to the original game this game has no skill required to learn the game. Compared to the original it has been significantly been dumbed down from top to bottom for the sake of sales and a low learning curve. 

Actually, it's gotten more complicated in almost every way.

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202

Compared to the original you need to always be on the move and dodge certain attacks. Compared to the original positioning is key. Compared to the original there are enough viable builds for all professions, almost all weapons sets have their uses, unlike GW1 where certain profs had a single viable build (Paragon?). Lots of Profs had pretty standard builds as well, this is what you get when you give absolute freedom to skill selection, a few "builds" will stand out, it is inevitable. More freedom in skill selection leads to less freedom in build selection, ironic isn't it?

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

I can sense you are angry about something. Its fine to let your anger out, but lies is not the way to go my friend.

There is no skill involved in GW2? So lets examine some of the facets of GW2 that could be improved with skillfull play:

• Movement: Combat awerness is very important and knowing were to position yourself is way more important in this game than in GW1
    • Weapon selection: Knowing when to use which skills(weapon,attunement, ect) is not something you will be good at from the get go. You have to learn how each is good in different situations and you get better at managing when to switch between them.
    • Skill selection: Knowing when and how to use your skills is again something you learn with time and practice. This particular one is relevant with almost all MMOs.
    • Reading the enemy: This is very important in the GW series. Many MMOs tend to be all about gear when it comes to pvp and all you need to know is whos got the better gear. Here you have to focus on which players are skilled and what builds they are using. I know this first hand from the beta, ran in to some very good players.
    • Synergies: Identifying your friends and foes is vital to learning how to synergize well and prevent getting into trouble.

These are some of the things needed to be good in GW2 especially in pvp. Not to mention your raw reflex skills which are also very important. I know you know this, sit back take a deep breath and let the blind hate subside and you will acknowledge it too. image

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788
    Originally posted by schray

Please don't post if you haven't played the game. Thank you!

Here we go again. You guys just can't stop can you but hey whatever...

DOTA has only 4 skills and you say it doesn't require skill to play? How come there's so many noobs?

• silvermembersilvermember Member UncommonPosts: 526

I don't understand this, you guys know clearly that this clown is a troll and yet you keep humoring him by replying to his obvious trolling attempts. I mean, come on he doesn't care that you can prove to him why 1+1=2 and he will still say it is equal to 3, so why bother. Just can't fight trolling on the interweb, so don't waste your life trying.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Also: Having nothing to really earn in GW2, your likely going to get bored of it and probably drop it without to much trouble.

Problem with taking out 'gear' or other things to earn to improve your character is you are essencially taking away the 'carrot on a stick'. Why play if you really don't get anything out of it. Sure you can say "I play for the gameplay" but honestly how long can you last playing something like that? 

I'm not saying allowing it to be more 'skill based' isn't a bad thing (which honestly we can still argue on this point but for now lets ignore it), the issue comes that having it in this format means it will leave the player without anything to really work for.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    Originally posted by Purutzil

Also: Having nothing to really earn in GW2, your likely going to get bored of it and probably drop it without to much trouble.

Problem with taking out 'gear' or other things to earn to improve your character is you are essencially taking away the 'carrot on a stick'. Why play if you really don't get anything out of it. Sure you can say "I play for the gameplay" but honestly how long can you last playing something like that? 

I'm not saying allowing it to be more 'skill based' isn't a bad thing (which honestly we can still argue on this point but for now lets ignore it), the issue comes that having it in this format means it will leave the player without anything to really work for.

There are things to earn. They are just cosmetic. GW1 had a similar approach and it's still going strong, 7 years later with about 6 million unique accounts, if I remember correctly.

Here's the thing though, as you're leveling up, the gear that you get does get progressively better stats on it. All endgame gear will be of the same strength.

• StrixMaximaStrixMaxima Member UncommonPosts: 865

This is highly subjective.

Although I am sure what you describe will happen for a group of players, others do not need this kind of lure to keep on playing. Gear is the lazy solution for lack of content, and sadly it became the industry's standard. I am glad to see someone trying to break the mould.

Single Player games can have a very lasting appeal and they seldom offer this kind of lure. I played DotA 1 for God knows how many years, with slow updates and changes, and a single map. I played it for the gameplay and for the company. Why can't the same happen in GW2, a game that offers so much more?

• NeferaNefera Member Posts: 426

You could reach max level in GW1 within 10 hours, and get the best set of gear within that same time frame. Still, I personally have sunk thousands of hours of playtime into the game, and a lot of others have done the same.

You really need to forget the gear grind for better stats mentality, because that isn't the ultimate reason for why people keep playing. There is so much else to do that I can see myself spending as much time as in the original (if not more), and keep in mind that you can still grind for purely cosmetic differences. Yes, people will spend dozens, if not hundreds of hours just getting that one specific armor or weapon that has the exact same stats as the basic stuff, but a different look. Froggy scepter anyone? Voltaic spears? Torment weapons? Also, don't forget achievements for the completionists.

Originally posted by heartless

There are things to earn. They are just cosmetic. GW1 had a similar approach and it's still going strong, 7 years later with about 6 million unique accounts, if I remember correctly.

Here's the thing though, as you're leveling up, the gear that you get does get progressively better stats on it. All endgame gear will be of the same strength.

Not to mention LoL is the same thing, how many players do they have?? image

• WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650

I played DAoC for 7 years... Ran the same temp on my bard for 3 years... I played it for the "fun of the gameplay". I ran the same Hero temp for a solid 2 years...

Keep in mind, a lot of people going to GW2 are tired of the WoW grind associated with ALL new games out now. 

I HATE GRIND! I really hate how people think they're leet cause they can somehow stomach the miserable gear grind presented to us... especially PvP gear grind... That just makes no sense to me....

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788

If I am doing something I don't enjoy for the reward when I am finished I call that work. I play games because they are fun not to earn imaginary items. To say there is no gear to better your character and no character development is not true, it just wont be the reason in spvp anyway that you are defeated. In wvwvw though anything goes but we all should know that by now...

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/brawn-vs-brains/

Very good article.

"Your progression is dictated by your personal improvement, not by obtaining a new helmet that grants you +30 to Pwnage."

The author also talks about why some less skilled gamers may not like the skill based approach of GW2, where you can't compensate your bad gameplay with more powerful gear.

Another good quote: "Instead of needing to farm gear in order to the play the game, Guild Wars 2 allows you to simply play the game."

Who would listen to Gamebreaker TV? They're a joke. I've never seen a bigger amount of GW2 fanboys anywhere. Really i like this game alot, but these guys take fanboy to a level that puts GW2.Guru to complete shame, not to meantion putting down other mmos that aren't GW2.

Regarding your quotes, sorry but that's not true. You need the right gear, yes, that plus 30 helmet of Pwnage, to play the game. it can be as funas one wants, but with the right gear, you can't do pve or WVW on equal footing. Yes, i know siege weapons, which is awesome but face to face, if you have level 10 armor against aplayers with level 80, you're going to get 1 shooted. Skill won't save you.

That's not bad btw and it doesn't mean the game doesn't take skill at all. It's just the way mmorpgs are, well, themeparks anyway.

Also, again HAHAHAHAHAHAHA GameJoke TV HAHAHAHAHAHAH

EDIT:

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by FredomSekerZ

Very good article.

"Your progression is dictated by your personal improvement, not by obtaining a new helmet that grants you +30 to Pwnage."

The author also talks about why some less skilled gamers may not like the skill based approach of GW2, where you can't compensate your bad gameplay with more powerful gear.

Another good quote: "Instead of needing to farm gear in order to the play the game, Guild Wars 2 allows you to simply play the game."

Who would listen to Gamebreaker TV? They're a joke. I've never seen a bigger amount of GW2 fanboys anywhere. Really i like this game alot, but these guys take fanboy to a level that puts GW2.Guru to complete shame, not to meantion putting down other mmos that aren't GW2.

Regarding your quotes, sorry but that's not true. You need the right gear, yes, that plus 30 helmet of Pwnage, to play the game. it can be as funas one wants, but with the right gear, you can't do pve or WVW on equal footing. Yes, i know siege weapons, which is awesome but face to face, if you have level 10 armor against aplayers with level 80, you're going to get 1 shooted. Skill won't save you.

That's not bad btw and it doesn't mean the game doesn't take skill at all. It's just the way mmorpgs are, well, themeparks anyway.

Also, again LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL GameJoke TV LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

I remember when GameBreaker were highly skeptical of GW2 and doubted they could pull it off. That was before they tried it. To correct you... no, there is no such thing as a "30 hemlet of Pwnage" or any such equivalent. All gear at level is comparable to all other gear at the same level. Besides, in WvW, everyone is level 80 bumped. No, you don't get one-shot. Or 1 shooted either. image

Oderint, dum metuant.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

This game will cater to e-sport elitists.  I could have told you that years ago.

• IrusIrus Member Posts: 774

Dunno, I think this is a positive change.

The gear climb in WoW worked fine for some people, but it really discouraged new people because they had a huge climb ahead of them to get to the "actual game". To me, PvP and gear tiers do not mix.

I think most people do not mind learning how to play.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
    Originally posted by Volkon

Very good article.

I remember when GameBreaker were highly skeptical of GW2 and doubted they could pull it off. That was before they tried it. To correct you... no, there is no such thing as a "30 hemlet of Pwnage" or any such equivalent. All gear at level is comparable to all other gear at the same level. Besides, in WvW, everyone is level 80 bumped. No, you don't get one-shot. Or 1 shooted either. image

It's funny how they are now "GW2 Fanboys" when they have always been the biggest WoW fanboys around.

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156
    Originally posted by Volkon

GameJoke sells out. They say good things about a game that's popular and trash all the rest. You don't even need to watch their video, just read the titles of any GW2 article. They're a news site, they're suppose to be unbiased, but they're the biggest fanboys you can find. And don't get me started on the people commenting there.

Also, so you're saying i can take my character with level 10 gear and go to Orr and do the dunegons and still no get 1 shotted and win? There's no "Helmet of Pwanage 30"? Next BWE, go to a level 70 area without it, and tell how you did.

And finally, in WVW, yes, oyu are level to 80, i know, and great. But, if you use level 10 gear against level 80 gear, you really beleive you'll survive? SIege weapons are 1 thing, like i said, but you need gear in WVW toa great extent.

SPVP is the exception to the rule. imageimageimage

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

Equal footing? Maybe. But unable to compete? No. I played quite a bit of WvW last BWE, with whatever blues and the occasional green I could throw together. There were people higher level than me,  who had put together much better sets of armor, and I could 1v1 against them just fine. Killed quite a few. 

And no, you're not going to get 1-shotted for poor gear against anyone with top end gear. Even a glass cannon build has a hard time doing that to a clothie in this game. 

Tactics, reaction time, and skill all > gear in this game. That's not to say gear DOESN'T make a difference, but the impact is nowhere near as huge as, say, WoW.

• SentimeSentime Member UncommonPosts: 270

Funny how gamebreaker knows so much about GW2.

Maybe they have a crystal ball that shows then what GW2 will be like 3 months after release. Oh yeah they don't.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Also, so you're saying i can take my character with level 10 gear and go to Orr and do the dunegons and still no get 1 shotted and win? There's no "Helmet of Pwanage 30"? Next BWE, go to a level 70 area without it, and tell how you did.

And finally, in WVW, yes, oyu are level to 80, i know, and great. But, if you use level 10 gear against level 80 gear, you really beleive you'll survive? SIege weapons are 1 thing, like i said, but you need gear in WVW toa great extent.

SPVP is the exception to the rule. imageimageimage

False comparison... you can do the level 80 dungeons with any level 80 gear, there's no uber-gear you need. There's gear progression to cap, then it stops. There's no treadmill beyond that.

In WvW, I could indeed go in level 10 gear and survive, even against level 80 gear. It may be more of a challenge, but if I'm good enough and they're not it's possible. However, more realistically, if I'm in level 80 gear I got in the PvE world and someone is in level 80 gear they got through PvP then we're on even footing... there's no special level 80 gear that makes you more powerful than other people in level 80 gear.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

Something that alot of themeparks miss- skill progression.  I first got a taste of skill progression in EVE online and I said to myself...why dont most games do this? Thanks Arenanet :)

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL