Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why Guild Wars 2 WILL be an EXTREMELY successful MMORPG

Comments

• austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618
    Originally posted by Doomedfox
    Originally posted by austriacus
    Originally posted by OldManFunk
     I am aware of that but how does it change the fact that the quests are boring and repetitive?

You are not also gonna tell me now that i can ignore the boring quests therefore they are good...or are you?

Help us help you.

You say that GW2 quests are boring and repetitive. Give us some examples of GW2 quests that you found boring and repetitive as well as quests from any other MMO that you enjoyed... unless you were just stopping by to tell us you hate MMOs and GW2 is a MMO, in which case that's fine, it just wasn't very clear from your posts.

I did that already i mentioned the quests in my first post.

I am not the one in need of help here i do see the Feeding the Cow, feeding the Bear ,collecting eggs, collecting apples, opening traps over and over again for what they are boring and repetitive quests.

What you feed changes what you collect changes and what you click on changes (traps piles of earth etc) but the quest does not.

I did enjoy quests in FF11 some SWTOR quest were fun too WAR quests were somewhat fun TSW quest are awesome but in the end its all the same just in better wrapping sometimes. However i never had to go from Feeding cows to collecting apples to opening traps rinse repeat and you do that over and over again till the heart is full that is prolly the part which makes it so bad its the worst kind of quest grind  (i know i can ignore them but i  only would have to do so course they are boring right?) 

So again it really is not me who needs help here....

So let me get this straight, what you DONT enjoy are the HEARTS.

Thats perfectly fine. There are 1500 DEs in the game and they are something entirely different as you already know.

As you go up in levels the amount of hearts go down and the amount of DEs per map go up so i dont see what the real issue is with you.

Not to forget the zone area events that are insanely fun and hard. And that need coordination(not the human one thats not properly balanced).

You say that there are different ways to level up in all games and they are not always the best ones so why dont you practice what you preach.

ONLY do DEs, thats not ignoring quests thats ignoring a complete way  of leveling, the same way you are ignoring leveling by solely crafting or by solely pvp you can do only DEs and no hearts.

How is it that GW2 fans always seem to see problems with ppl who do not just praise everything the game has to offer?

I did not say its a bad game in total all i stated were that the quest are bad and you all seem to agree course all you say is just ignore them which i might prolly do. That does not change the fact that i expect to get some fun out of the game (most likely in pvp tho)

The game has it strong sides i am sure it has a few very good DE which will be fun but the quests are terrible if that means now that in the eyes of a GW2 fans i hate the game so be in this is getting bothersome.

what? i never said there was a problem with your way of thinking.

Im just trying to point out ways you could enjoy more the money you spent on the game. If you are seeing every post as an atack to you it just makes you seem as if you are on agenda, just saying.

Sorry for trying to help i guess?

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

Thats interesting considering that i do not hate the game at all i also mentioned i am still looking forward to it as a side game i never hated on the game i had some probs with the active dodging and i still do not see why a plate wearing warrior has the same dodge rules as a thief.

I was however looking forward to the claim of no quest hubs anymore (even tho i was sceptically if they can pull it of) and was let down in a big way and that i state now nothing else.

If that makes me an unhonest person in your eyes well there is nothing i can do about it i do however feel personally offended being called unhonest even more so if it happens by a person who does not know me at all and states points which are not even true.

You are also judging me on being not open minded and yet again you do not have knowledge about me.

What it comes down to is that you personally attack me for stating my mind which i suppose does not reflect  your opinions thats just very poor and disappointing.

I never said all i had were the highest hopes and there was nothing i did not like about the game there is just no perfect game and i am not a person to dismiss things he does not like only to be even more hyped about a game the fact that you think this makes me unable to have had high hopes for the game is also very poor on your part.

The part about GW2 i did not like and day by day dislike even more is still the Fans of the game as you just proved again.

On a site note how would you know when i played GW2 for the first time? If you do not know (which you cant) how would you be able to judge that i was not having hopes before i played? I could be an Alpha tester a CB (which i am not) so you really had no way of knowing that but still attacked me on a personal level....

Never said you hated it.  Just said that you've been fairly down on it.  The most flattering thing you used to say about it was 'It'll make a good backup game for when there's no good game to play'.  I mean, I've been reading these forums for a while, do you think nobody remembers you?

You had high hopes for TSW, and honestly, I have no idea how you feel about TSW =now=, because I don't really read the TSW forums.  What you had for GW2 was not really high hopes.

I mean, that's not HATE, but it's hardly this glowing recommendation where you were super hyped to play it.  You keep saying things like 'Until I played the beta', but the way you've talked about the game hasn't really changed at all pre and post beta.  Also, how would I know when you played it for the first time?  Because you mentioned playing the beta for the first time.  I mean, I assumed you weren't lying about that.  See?  I didn't even call you a liar.  I assumed you've been basically truthful, just that the way you're coming across is as somebody who had high hopes for the game and was disappointed, rather than somebody who had very LOW hopes for the game, and basically feel vindicated in your previous views.

Also, there's no real way to argue with your opinion, because it's just that.  Opinion.  I don't care if you think heart quests are boring or interesting (Though you do spend a LOT of time saying things like 'People who like them are fanboys who are overlooking flaws', which suggests that you are putting a lot of weight on your own opinions being the correct ones and other people being misguided and wrong, rather than having different taste).

I'm personally a 'people have different tastes' sort of person.  Your tastes weren't that geared towards what GW2 was offering in the FIRST place, so why would they change after?  The beta didn't really change your views, it made you decide that your previous negative thoughts were correct.

There's no rocket science to this.  In fact, I'd say that means you're mostly a fairly accurate judge of your own tastes.  Congratulations.

What you ARE, is a poor judge of other people's taste (And let's be honest, most people are.  It's hard to understand other people.  Empathy doesn't come naturally to many people).  People can genuinely enjoy something without wearing some sort of fanboy blinders, just like I'm not going to accuse you of hating something because you're wearing hater blinders.  ... and THIS is where you not being particularly open-minded shows.  Things you dislike are automatically bad, and people who like certain things that you disagree with are people who are ignoring flaws, rather than people who perhaps find what you consider flaws, to be positives.  Or people who see positives that don't matter to you.

Also, it's pretty lame to hide behind the 'Oh no, I'm being attacked because GW2 fans are horrible people, I'm a victim' shield.  I just think you're a person who never had particularly high hopes for GW2, you didn't like a lot of what they're bringing, and surprise, after playing, still not a fan of many things.  Funny how that works.  All that means is you're fairly consistent as a person.  That's hardly the worst thing I've called somebody here.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
     I am aware of that but how does it change the fact that the quests are boring and repetitive?

You are not also gonna tell me now that i can ignore the boring quests therefore they are good...or are you?

Help us help you.

You say that GW2 quests are boring and repetitive. Give us some examples of GW2 quests that you found boring and repetitive as well as quests from any other MMO that you enjoyed... unless you were just stopping by to tell us you hate MMOs and GW2 is a MMO, in which case that's fine, it just wasn't very clear from your posts.

I am not the one in need of help here i do see the Feeding the Cow, feeding the Bear ,collecting eggs, collecting apples, opening traps over and over again for what they are boring and repetitive quests.

What you feed changes what you collect changes and what you click on changes (traps piles of earth etc) but the quest does not.

I did enjoy quests in FF11 some SWTOR quest were fun too WAR quests were somewhat fun TSW quest are awesome but in the end its all the same just in better wrapping sometimes. However i never had to go from Feeding cows to collecting apples to opening traps rinse repeat and you do that over and over again till the heart is full that is prolly the part which makes it so bad its the worst kind of quest grind  (i know i can ignore them but i  only would have to do so course they are boring right?) 

Thats perfectly fine. There are 1500 DEs in the game and they are something entirely different as you already know.

As you go up in levels the amount of hearts go down and the amount of DEs per map go up so i dont see what the real issue is with you.

Not to forget the zone area events that are insanely fun and hard. And that need coordination(not the human one thats not properly balanced).

You say that there are different ways to level up in all games and they are not always the best ones so why dont you practice what you preach.

ONLY do DEs, thats not ignoring quests thats ignoring a complete way  of leveling, the same way you are ignoring leveling by solely crafting or by solely pvp you can do only DEs and no hearts.

How is it that GW2 fans always seem to see problems with ppl who do not just praise everything the game has to offer?

I did not say its a bad game in total all i stated were that the quest are bad and you all seem to agree course all you say is just ignore them which i might prolly do. That does not change the fact that i expect to get some fun out of the game (most likely in pvp tho)

The game has it strong sides i am sure it has a few very good DE which will be fun but the quests are terrible if that means now that in the eyes of a GW2 fans i hate the game so be in this is getting bothersome.

Any different from TSW fans ignoring combat problems and the fact some of the quests are also boring?

Why do people that like TSW ignore those things? Because the rest of it makes up for the downs for them.

Same with GW2 - sure, some of the heart quests are boring, others you just complete without noticing, but it doesn't matter since the world feels alive, the combat is interesting and there is people playing with you all the time.

It is always stupid to personalize since a) people can do the same to you, b) some will be playing both games.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202

I was however looking forward to the claim of no quest hubs anymore (even tho i was sceptically if they can pull it of) and was let down in a big way and that i state now nothing else.

Did you see any quest hubs? And no don't tell me about the Hearts, there are a million DEs that happen far away of Hearts, the game is full of something to do, there are NO quest hubs.

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• DoomedfoxDoomedfox Member UncommonPosts: 679

Im just trying to point out ways you could enjoy more the money you spent on the game. If you are seeing every post as an atack to you it just makes you seem as if you are on agenda, just saying.

If the text in blue was not meant to imply i have an issue here than i suppose i misunderstood and and i will apologize for my reaction...however i am sure you can see how i was able to misunderstand right?

And if it really was only intended to help me i do appreciate it and thank you for the effort but be assured i do see the other ways to play the game and do not regret buying it.

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    I can't say if it's good or bad as I haven't tried it yet. I'm in the beta for the next test, so I will have to reserve judgement til then. I really do hope it's a success though. I'm tired of Mmo's crashing and burning.
  • MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Last i heared they already had 1.2 million prepurchased copies out.

Dunno how many pre-orders, but i think about the same numbers.

Also GW2 is a excilent game to play alongside another mmo so i bet for that reason they sell many many extra boxes.

And offcourse the people who are bored of their current mmo and want something special after all the failures that came out the past 5/6 years.

Count all that shit up and you can expect quite a few sales within the 1st week and weeks after it when people revieuw this game as 9/10.

My gues is they might sell around 4 million copies within the 1st month, but we have to wait and see offcourse.

I prepurchased 3 copies already :P

After the 1st beta i was sold....

• austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618

If the text in blue was not meant to imply i have an issue here than i suppose i misunderstood and and i will apologize for my reaction...however i am sure you can see how i was able to misunderstand right?

And if it really was only intended to help me i do appreciate it and thank you for the effort but be assured i do see the other ways to play the game and do not regret buying it.

Yes i can see that. I hope you understand that, as you can see from my profile i come from a 3rd world country where english is the 4rd language i learned. I actualy wanted to write  "what the real issue is with them" meaning the hearts themselves.

Just a friendly recomendation, in real life its normally good to expect the worst from people but on the internet, if you have a way of knowing where the person comes from and you feel atacked by their words its better to just ask them what they meant if they come from a country where your language isnt widely spoken. You might just be misinterpeting them.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

Yes i can see that. I hope you understand that, as you can see from my profile i come from a 3rd world country where english is the 4rd language i learned. I actualy wanted to write  "what the real issue is with them" meaning the hearts themselves.

Just a friendly recomendation, in real life its normally good to expect the worst from people but on the internet, if you have a way of knowing where the person comes from and you feel atacked by their words its better to just ask them what they meant if they come from a country where your language isnt widely spoken. You might just be misinterpeting them.

That's good advice just in GENERAL, probably.  If you assume everybody means the best but is just awkward at talking, probably save a lot of confusion and heartache.

(edit:  Mostly oriented to Doomedfox here)

In fact, I'm going to take this opportunity to apologize to Doomedfox, as I may have been a bit more negative on him (Still not insulting, just negative) than might have been warranted, a combination of perhaps I read more into his wording than he meant to come across, and being mildly annoyed that he keeps accusing people who disagree with him of being fanboys, which certainly doesn't lead to any constructive discussion whatsoever (And the reason I wasn't directly addressing his points, because they're largely matters of opinion.  After all, i LIKE feeding cows.  I often do the non-combat options for hearts and forgo the combat ones.  That doesn't mean I have fanboy blinders, I enjoyed Harvest Moon long before GW2 was even announced.  Such options (And truly, in almost all cases they are OPTIONS for how to progress a heart, rather than mandatory.  There's only two places I can think of (Both fairly early in different zones) offhand where there's no combat option for a heart) do service a specific type of player).

• DoomedfoxDoomedfox Member UncommonPosts: 679
    Originally posted by Meowhead

Never said you hated it.  Just said that you've been fairly down on it.  The most flattering thing you used to say about it was 'It'll make a good backup game for when there's no good game to play'.  I mean, I've been reading these forums for a while, do you think nobody remembers you?

You had high hopes for TSW, and honestly, I have no idea how you feel about TSW =now=, because I don't really read the TSW forums.  What you had for GW2 was not really high hopes.

I mean, that's not HATE, but it's hardly this glowing recommendation where you were super hyped to play it.  You keep saying things like 'Until I played the beta', but the way you've talked about the game hasn't really changed at all pre and post beta.  Also, how would I know when you played it for the first time?  Because you mentioned playing the beta for the first time.  I mean, I assumed you weren't lying about that.  See?  I didn't even call you a liar.  I assumed you've been basically truthful, just that the way you're coming across is as somebody who had high hopes for the game and was disappointed, rather than somebody who had very LOW hopes for the game, and basically feel vindicated in your previous views.

Also, there's no real way to argue with your opinion, because it's just that.  Opinion.  I don't care if you think heart quests are boring or interesting (Though you do spend a LOT of time saying things like 'People who like them are fanboys who are overlooking flaws', which suggests that you are putting a lot of weight on your own opinions being the correct ones and other people being misguided and wrong, rather than having different taste).

I'm personally a 'people have different tastes' sort of person.  Your tastes weren't that geared towards what GW2 was offering in the FIRST place, so why would they change after?  The beta didn't really change your views, it made you decide that your previous negative thoughts were correct.

There's no rocket science to this.  In fact, I'd say that means you're mostly a fairly accurate judge of your own tastes.  Congratulations.

What you ARE, is a poor judge of other people's taste (And let's be honest, most people are.  It's hard to understand other people.  Empathy doesn't come naturally to many people).  People can genuinely enjoy something without wearing some sort of fanboy blinders, just like I'm not going to accuse you of hating something because you're wearing hater blinders.  ... and THIS is where you not being particularly open-minded shows.  Things you dislike are automatically bad, and people who like certain things that you disagree with are people who are ignoring flaws, rather than people who perhaps find what you consider flaws, to be positives.  Or people who see positives that don't matter to you.

Also, it's pretty lame to hide behind the 'Oh no, I'm being attacked because GW2 fans are horrible people, I'm a victim' shield.  I just think you're a person who never had particularly high hopes for GW2, you didn't like a lot of what they're bringing, and surprise, after playing, still not a fan of many things.  Funny how that works.  All that means is you're fairly consistent as a person.  That's hardly the worst thing I've called somebody here.

If i would have been in Alpha or CB i would not have been allowed to state so therefore i only could have mentioned BWE but i do see where you are coming from.

Why being a backup game would be considered something bad is beyond me the no sub makes it perfect for that and liker already stated I was no fan of the lazy dodge mechanic and still am not i love the 3 faction pvp (don't like the reset all three months but can see why they did it)and had high hopes for the DE you are in absolutely no position to judge me or my hope for a game so don't get all high and mighty and assume you can do just that.

If you tell me to just be honest that does very well imply that i was dishonest before so yes you did call me a liar without any ground to stand on and are only trying smooth talk it now.

I said Fans of the game will forgive the flaws not Fanboys (at least in todays posts i did i don't think i did use Fanboys in my other posts but it is possible) as its normal for a fan. I mentioned also that its cool just not how i do things it is obvious that i would believe my opinion is right if i cant be sure of that i should not state my opinion to begin with but i also made a point out of it to not judge the fans of the game.

I do not need to hide behind any kind of shield you did personally attack me which only showed what kind of person you are maybe it wasn't even your intention maybe you did choose your words poorly but with this second post now you made it pretty clear what kind of person you are.I will however admit that it was wrong to put all GW2 fans on the same low lvl as you belong and i hope the GW2 fans will forgive me.

What it comes down to is that i do not just praise everything about the game and for some reason you dislike that and thats why you acted how you did nothing more to it really.

• BrooksTechBrooksTech Member Posts: 163

My Thoughts,

GW2 does not have a sub because it cannot support one.  The mmo locusts will dive in and  consume all content as fast as they can -- its what they do.  Then they will complain that there isn't anything for them to do.

Disagree if you will, but we have seen this all before.  MMos die when faced with lack luster end game content.

• OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894

Help us help you.

Thanks for the response. I see the problem now.

You said:

"For some reasons ppl like Seridan really believe it is the best questing i for one found the quests horrible the Heart quests hub areas (and it is nothing but a quest hub) had some of the most boring and repetitive quests i ever had to play in an MMO i mean seriously how often can you have a quest where you feed an animal or click on a trap or just gather items and bring them to a npc that certainly is not the best questing in an MMO to date even less so since there is not even a good story to motivate you to do this repetitive tasks."

People have tried to explain that the heart quests are not the main quests in GW2 and quest hearts are not quest hubs because they only offer one, repeatable, static quest. Heart quests are simply static, repeatable quests that are marked on the map to give new players who don't know what to do an objective where they will hopefully run into dynamic events and follow them instead of simply grinding out heart quests.

Quote:

"I did enjoy quests in FF11 some SWTOR quest were fun too WAR quests were somewhat fun TSW quest are awesome but in the end its all the same just in better wrapping sometimes. However i never had to go from Feeding cows to collecting apples to opening traps rinse repeat and you do that over and over again till the heart is full that is prolly the part which makes it so bad its the worst kind of quest grind  (i know i can ignore them but i  only would have to do so course they are boring right?) "

Okay, yes... I agree. There are only so many things you can do in games before it's all "the same just in better wrapping sometimes", which is why I asked. image

But then we come back to the misunderstanding about the purpose of heart quests. Sure, you have to complete the heart quests in order to access the vendor, but heart quests are a very minor part of the GW2 quest system. The dynamic events are really where the game's focus is.

When a dynamic event happens there is often much more going on than the kill task or escort quest that appears on your screen. Dynamic events chain together and can have drastic effects on the world around you. There's usually an accompanying story explaining what is happening and why if you take the time to talk to the NPCs. People often miss out on the details because GW2 doesn't force you to talk to a NPC in order to participate in a dynamic event and it's not always immediately obvious what changes to the world have been made.

There are several threads that explain the difference between heart quests and dynamic events as well as videos detailing what you miss out on if you don't take the time to talk to NPCs or pay attention to the area that you're in before, during and after events.

Here's a few videos that help to explain the difference between heart quests and dynamic events as well as tips on leveling in GW2 (in case you're interested): image

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by BrooksTech

My Thoughts,

GW2 does not have a sub because it cannot support one.  The mmo locusts will dive in and  consume all content as fast as they can -- its what they do.  Then they will complain that there isn't anything for them to do.

Disagree if you will, but we have seen this all before.  MMos die when faced with lack luster end game content.

There's a major flaw with your logic regarding GW2 however. In order to experience all the content, you need to slow down and let the content develop around you. If you rush from here to there you'll miss the chains... that NPC that, on completion of one event, walks over there, starts a conversation with a different NPC, and suddenly the next event in the chain is launched for example. Perhaps there will be those locusts you mention that pass through and complain, but in the forums people will ask if they fought The Shatterer, Tequatl, other nameless world bosses we've yet to see and they'll say no... and look stupid.

End game content... have they done all the dungeons in explorable mode? How are they doing in sPvP, WvW? There's as much (more actually) end game content in GW2 as there is even in WoW when you consider scaling. All explorable mode dungeons will remain challenging. The PvP... we're talking ArenaNet here, the PvP is second to none. It's true there's none of that "final raid" stuff that feeds into the endless gear treadmill, thank the gods, which is part of systems that render all prior content obsolete the moment you pass through it.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• KalmporosKalmporos Member UncommonPosts: 293

My Thoughts,

Short answer: PvP

Long answer: While PvE in GW2 is really fun and well made its content will come to an end eventually.

But the name "Guild Wars" is mainly known as a PvP game because of GW1. PvP content is basically open ended. You dont hear people complaining that Battlefield, for example, suffers from no end-game(!!!).

With both W v W and sPvP in place people will enjoy GW2 for years to come.

As for PvE-only players. Well, you cant expect to get 100% of a game if you limit yourself to play only the 50% of it...

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156
    Originally posted by Volkon

My Thoughts,

There's a major flaw with your logic regarding GW2 however. In order to experience all the content, you need to slow down and let the content develop around you. If you rush from here to there you'll miss the chains... that NPC that, on completion of one event, walks over there, starts a conversation with a different NPC, and suddenly the next event in the chain is launched for example. Perhaps there will be those locusts you mention that pass through and complain, but in the forums people will ask if they fought The Shatterer, Tequatl, other nameless world bosses we've yet to see and they'll say no... and look stupid.

End game content... have they done all the dungeons in explorable mode? How are they doing in sPvP, WvW? There's as much (more actually) end game content in GW2 as there is even in WoW when you consider scaling. All explorable mode dungeons will remain challenging. The PvP... we're talking ArenaNet here, the PvP is second to none. It's true there's none of that "final raid" stuff that feeds into the endless gear treadmill, thank the gods, which is part of systems that render all prior content obsolete the moment you pass through it.

I hate endgame and gear grind myself, but your logic is not much better. Sub or not, when players get their hands on the game, they'll go nuts and play for hours, upon hours. I hear what you're saying, but there's also a problem.

SWTOR, despite what anybody says, had, and as, tons of content. SWTOR decided to focus on alts, making every experince different with lots of, not only class stories, but multyple paths for each one.

The problem with dev driven mmo IMHO, isn't just the amount of stuff to do (which is important), but maing it engaging enough. For example, each dungeon as a branching path in explorable, but that doesn't guarentee that most players will run them before getting bored and tired.

As i've said, i expect GW2 to have great intial sales, but 3 months down the line is when it all starts to become tested. IMHO, there'll be tons of players who'll leave. However, that never mean failure, because if enough remain, it's all good actually. But, future is uncertain as always.

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290

GW2 already is an extremely successful MMORPG. It doesn't have a subscription, so the only thing that matter is Hype.  They even make you pay for the game before you get to try it. They will sell their 3 million copies, make bank, and start work on the next 60 dollar expansion that people may or may not purchase 3 months down the road.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    Originally posted by FredomSekerZ

My Thoughts,

I hate endgame and gear grind myself, but your logic is not much better. Sub or not, when players get their hands on the game, they'll go nuts and play for hours, upon hours. I hear what you're saying, but there's also a problem.

SWTOR, despite what anybody says, had, and as, tons of content. SWTOR decided to focus on alts, making every experince different with lots of, not only class stories, but multyple paths for each one.

The problem with dev driven mmo IMHO, isn't just the amount of stuff to do (which is important), but maing it engaging enough. For example, each dungeon as a branching path in explorable, but that doesn't guarentee that most players will run them before getting bored and tired.

As i've said, i expect GW2 to have great intial sales, but 3 months down the line is when it all starts to become tested. IMHO, there'll be tons of players who'll leave. However, that never mean failure, because if enough remain, it's all good actually. But, future is uncertain as always.

Still thinking with a "sub" mentality, in GW2 it doesn't matter whether people play or not, (assuming initial sales are strong, which seems likely)  they get your money coming in the door, and the real test of success will be in how well received future expansions are or how much revenue is generated from the cash shop.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

Originally posted by Syno23
    Number 2: The Guild Wars franchise as a whole as already sold more than 7 million copies. So let's do the math. Let's say that the game sold 1 million copies and raised 50 million dollars from those 1 million copies. Now, the game went on to sell more than 6 million copies TOTAL. So 1 million + 6 million is 7 million. So 6 million copies worth of revenue is 300 million dollars.
    For what it's worth, I bought all four of the original Guild Wars titles, and I didn't even pay close to $50 for all four of them put together.
  • neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

guild wars isnt an mmo, its a lobby game like LoL or Dota ect.  gotta have pve pve raids open world fights factions ect to be an mmorpg, guild wars games are lobby style moogs (multiplayer online only games).  guild wars 2 is just diablo 3 with pvp at launch....

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

Originally posted by neorandom
    guild wars isnt an mmo, its a lobby game like LoL or Dota ect.  gotta have pve pve raids open world fights factions ect to be an mmorpg, guild wars games are lobby style moogs (multiplayer online only games).  guild wars 2 is just diablo 3 with pvp at launch....
    You are correct that Guild Wars was a lobby game. However you seem to be under the completely incorrect belief that Guild Wars 2 works the same way. Educate yourself, before posting on forums and looking like a fool.

GW1 was like a lobby game. GW2 is a true MMORPG where did you get the idea that GW2 is a lobby game?

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

guild wars 2 is just diablo 3 with pvp at launch....

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

The difference is, when players leave the game, it will be a lot easier for them to come back later because they don't need to re-sub

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Still thinking with a "sub" mentality, in GW2 it doesn't matter whether people play or not, (assuming initial sales are strong, which seems likely)  they get your money coming in the door, and the real test of success will be in how well received future expansions are or how much revenue is generated from the cash shop.

Yes, i'm thinking with a sub meantality *rolls eyes*

So you're saying there's no problem if the game loses more than twice the playerbase? If nobody can find groups to do events and dungeons? If WVW as a lack of population? If servers start to become low with only a few high? If there's server merges? If nobody wastes money on the cash shop?

GW1 released expansion every year. It was a lobby game. Also, they've already staed that they're going to be working on GW1's expansion aswell.They're going to split work in between them, so i expect a new expansion every year again. So you're basically saying that there's no problem that 3 months there's over a millio  players, then for 9 months there's less than 500000? Really?

Sub are 15$ a month, which is alot of money, an ad cash shop on top of that, how is this any different. GW1 didn't require population on the scale of it's sequel. Oh, in case you forgot, next year there're more MMORPG and more expansion coming out.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Kyleran

the first guild wars took 5 months to sell 1 million - and GW1 kept on selling wthout added content

http://guildwars.com/events/press/releases/pressrelease-2005-09-22.php

ANET is depending upon continual retail sales too