Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

F2P Changes UPDATED: Devs listened to player feedback

Comments

• ShojuShoju Member UncommonPosts: 776
    Originally posted by Kilsin
    Pay the measly $15 a month and you can have it all, 24/7 when ever you like, what ever time of the day or night for a whole month...That's better than paying the same if not more for 1-2 hrs of entertainment from a movie at the cinema.

That would be a fine solution if Vanguard was worth $15 per month, and I get the feeling that many feel it isn't.  If it was, it may have done better than it has over the past five years.

• KilsinKilsin Member RarePosts: 515
    Originally posted by Shoju
    Pay the measly $15 a month and you can have it all, 24/7 when ever you like, what ever time of the day or night for a whole month...That's better than paying the same if not more for 1-2 hrs of entertainment from a movie at the cinema.

That would be a fine solution if Vanguard was worth $15 per month, and I get the feeling that many feel it isn't.  If it was, it may have done better than it has over the past five years.

I have had at least 1 account active (currently 4 active) over the last 5 years and I can tell you first hand, it is worth every cent.

The complaint we make is about end game content and a few persistent bugs, not game breaking by any means just some frustrating ones.

Starting off at level 1, you will have a good few years worth of great content and will still need to roll a new character to see it all and only for $15 a month...pretty cheap if you ask me.

You can't even go to the movies for that price and even if you could find a deal or not eat or drink to stay within your $15 budget, it only lasts for 1-2 hours.

Vanguard is 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for a whole month and only costs a measly $15.

I struggle to understand why people complain about that. We should be supporting the companies that give us great games not turning our noses up and going F2P, our industry is being ruined by these F2P games and it will only get worse, believe me, gamers will regret backing these F2p games in the future.

• mastersomratmastersomrat Member UncommonPosts: 373

I just wish people would stop using the frase F2P and call it P2W which is what they really are.  Compnaies can NOT stay in business with a true F2P so their can not be such a beast.  At most, it might be a free trial of some sort.

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

Great news and actually surprised to see SOE paying attention to their players for a change. Brokering, items and chat are major if you want to have any kind of ingame community.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • ShojuShoju Member UncommonPosts: 776
    We should be supporting the companies that give us great games not turning our noses up

True, and that is why I am very picky about where my gaming dollars go.  The game that Brad McQuaid was selling us with 'The Vision' would have been worthy of supporting.  The game we ended up with is not.

Originally posted by Shoju
    We should be supporting the companies that give us great games not turning our noses up

True, and that is why I am very picky about where my gaming dollars go.  The game that Brad McQuaid was selling us with 'The Vision' would have been worthy of supporting.  The game we ended up with is not.

WellIt is for myself and hundreds of others is what I am trying to say.

Thos enumbers are rising rapidly too with allt he Dev attention and F2P launch not far away.

• brash99brash99 Member UncommonPosts: 94
    Apparently it is back to green gear only for f2p. Such a shame.
  • DrakadenDrakaden Member UncommonPosts: 138
    Originally posted by brash99

This reason is exactly why i won't be playing their product anymore.

Originally posted by Drakaden

You guys can't expect everything for free...seriously.

It's a 5.8 yr old MMO that has always been subscription based, it is now allowing you to play all the way to the level cap of 55 for absolutely free.

Because you can't wear better gear than green, your going to complain? How cheap can you be!?

Fork over a measly $15 a month and its all unlocked...access 24/7 for a whole month to enjoy a great game without restrictions.

If you can't afford $15 or a few bucks in a cash shop to unlock gear and items that you like, you really shouldn't be playing games and should maybe find a free hobby or search for a job.

This is the mentality that is destroying the gaming industry at the moment and it's disgusting.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

The changes are better.. but this item restriction thing is their downfall. Uncommon or above 'may' be restricted gives them the room to do anything they like with the items, who knows what that's supposed to mean...

When I logged into EQ2X and over half my items had gone into my inventory because they were legendary.. I very quickly hit the uninstall button. I know you can 'pay' to unlock them now but that's just not good enough.. it's the obsolute definition of pay to win. PAY to unlock items that are BETTER than the items players have if they choose not to pay. If they removed it I would be buying both expansions and a number of racees/classes right now, shame they have no real business sense.

We'll see what items are restricted in VG...

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

On my existing character, I noticed that all the yellow gear I had previously stayed on my character even though I wasn't a gold member.  I was able to use all my bags as well.  At the very least, I saw this as an improvement over EverQuest 2 where upon logging in, all my gear popped off my toon, leaving me naked.  I wasn't expecting to be limited to only 10 quests.  My journal had 22 active quests, so I had to delete over half of them in order to pick up additional quests.

I wasn't impressed with the a lot of the new quests I undertook with my existing toon.  The game still seems to kick solo players in the balls which along with the crushing item restrictions will kill the game's attempted resurgence in the long run.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Drakaden Originally posted by brash99

It's a 5.8 yr old MMO that has always been subscription based, it is now allowing you to play all the way to the level cap of 55 for absolutely free. In 6 races and 6 classes. All others NOT included are level 20 cap.

Because you can't wear better gear than green, your going to complain? How cheap can you be!? A built-in gameplay disadvantage. Do they want the number of players to increase or not? Remember, most wanting to play for free did NOT pay to play. Why would they now?

Fork over a measly $15 a month and its all unlocked...access 24/7 for a whole month to enjoy a great game without restrictions. Not very "free", is it? Basic gameplay is gimped from the get-go. Charge me for health/mana potions. Charge me for more bag space. Charge me for XP potions. Don't gimp my character, please.

If you can't afford $15 or a few bucks in a cash shop to unlock gear and items that you like, you really shouldn't be playing games and should maybe find a free hobby or search for a job. In order to be competitive, I must pay. Not very free or inviting. Do they want to draw in new players or not? These new players, remember, did NOT pay the fee beforehand to play. Why would they pay now?

This is the mentality that is destroying the gaming industry at the moment and it's disgusting. The players did not cry out for F2P. The company did. The ONLY reason is to breathe life into dieing servers. The major factor here is that these players did NOT pay to play recently. The company is trying to entice them (us) in. Bring their player numbers up. Gimping their characters is NOT the way to do it. There is A LOT of things they could charge extra for. And they do :) But making a player's character "less" than any other is not the way to draw more players into the fold.

Remember, if these F2P players wanted to pay to play, they would already be doing so.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

ALL Blue and above adventuring gear restricted to gold memebers or require payment to unlock them on a case by case basis.. pay to win.

Uninstalled.

This is NOT how to do the FTP thing. Shame.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662

It's a 5.8 yr old MMO that has always been subscription based, it is now allowing you to play all the way to the level cap of 55 for absolutely free.

Because you can't wear better gear than green, your going to complain? How cheap can you be!?

Fork over a measly $15 a month and its all unlocked...access 24/7 for a whole month to enjoy a great game without restrictions.

If you can't afford $15 or a few bucks in a cash shop to unlock gear and items that you like, you really shouldn't be playing games and should maybe find a free hobby or search for a job.

This is the mentality that is destroying the gaming industry at the moment and it's disgusting.

Have you seen the cash-shop? it's expensive as hell. Take games like Allods etc, they allow you to play any race and any class and they have a cash-shop. People buy XP boosts, Mounts, Cool looking gear, Pets and more.

Races & Classes should be free or atleast limit only a few classes, one of each combat role that are unique to Vanguard. 

Tank: Dread Knight.

Light Fighter: Monk.

Healer: Disciple, Blood Mage.

Caster: Psiconist.

These classes are unique to Vanguard. This is more reasonable.

Thestran: Vulmane

Kojan: Raki

Qalia: Kurashasa

Races unique to Vanguard. Other races are either Humans or Tolkien races.

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662
    Originally posted by Vannor

ALL Blue and above adventuring gear restricted to gold memebers or require payment to unlock them on a case by case basis.. pay to win.

Uninstalled.

The patch was supposed to release 14th August and in that patch they will remove those restrictions.

• EverketEverket Member UncommonPosts: 244

The changes are better.. but this item restriction thing is their downfall. Uncommon or above 'may' be restricted gives them the room to do anything they like with the items, who knows what that's supposed to mean...

This. I just can't see many previous vanguard players logging back in, and staying after seeing the gear restriction. While you may say people are cheap etc. It's just feels wrong logging back in and having this restrictions right off the bat, with so many games out there, you have to give a good impression right away. Or people are just going to leave, and never look back. What a wasted opportunity this is gonna be imo.

Inflamestwo you sure about that? If so that is good news, but doing it that way is DUMB AS HELL. So many players will try the game out before 14th august, and almost everyone will leave imo  because of the gear restriction. Most of them will not be back even if things change at 14th. Mmorpg rarely gets a second chance.

God why soe, you must you waste this opportunity :(

The forums is raging because of the gear restriction and rightly so. I was so optimistic, but after just one day, I've lost almost all hope.

• Flaming_MMOFlaming_MMO Member Posts: 137
    Given the item restriction, does that make certain classes better over others? Say would a necromancer be better off with the restrictions than classes that rely on tanking themselves?

Players need to keep in mind this is not the F2P launch.

The F2P launch is on the 14th of August.

This is a bug smashing test to release a solid update on the 14th.

There will be changes made before it is released ont he 14th, I assure you.

Originally posted by InFlamestwo

Uninstalled.

The patch was supposed to release 14th August and in that patch they will remove those restrictions.

That is pure speculation, that has not been announced by the Devs or anyone employed by SOE.

I wouldn't spread lies like that around these boards, you will only piss people off and make them angry at SOE.

Originally posted by InFlamestwo

Have you seen the cash-shop? it's expensive as hell. Take games like Allods etc, they allow you to play any race and any class and they have a cash-shop. People buy XP boosts, Mounts, Cool looking gear, Pets and more.

Races & Classes should be free or atleast limit only a few classes, one of each combat role that are unique to Vanguard. 

Tank: Dread Knight.

Light Fighter: Monk.

Healer: Disciple, Blood Mage.

Caster: Psiconist.

These classes are unique to Vanguard. This is more reasonable.

Thestran: Vulmane

Kojan: Raki

Qalia: Kurashasa

Races unique to Vanguard. Other races are either Humans or Tolkien races.

Yes but this is not Allods and never will be, you need to understand that. Vanguard will never be a truly free to play MMO, it was never designed for that model and that model will destroy Vanguard if implemented.

Vanguard needs a subscription and/or a steady flow of cash shop purchases to do well and gain more developer support.

This is a teaser/free to play trial that lets you level all the way up to 55, the current cap in basic gear with some allowances. You have the option to spend a decent amount of money to unlock things or pay a small $15 subscription to enjoy it all.

You posted the exact same thing on the VG boards and got it wrong there too.

Please read the F2P Matrix, it tells you what classes are playable by F2P players and what isn't.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,960
    KUDOS Sony !

• RafadotnechiRafadotnechi Member UncommonPosts: 90

$4.50 per gear unlock is too expensive

and they lied about F2P using yellow gear

• EverketEverket Member UncommonPosts: 244
    Doesn't really matter much if they change it by the 14th, the damage will be done by then. A lot of players will have tried the f2p model and just moved on. They only get once chance from 95% of people I reckon.
  • PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

I'm disappointed in the gear restrictions. I had originally written off Vanguard after seeing the original F2P matrix. Then they said they "may" remove some restrictions, including the common or better item restrictions. That was the biggie to me. But now it looks like they didn't change it so...I'll have to decide if I'll keep playing or not. Probably not with the restriction.

• popsicledeathpopsicledeath Member Posts: 108

The item restrictions are the only thing I really don't like about this.  I've played Vanguard more than most, paid into it more than most, etc.  There's a chance I'd re-sub for the really good raid/group drops.  There's a chance I'd sub to get to play some of the more interesting combinations of race/class past 30.  There's a chance I'd sub if the population got bigger and SOE seemed to really be giving solid, long-term dev attention to Vanguard.

There's NO chance in hell I'll spend a dollar to get to wear higher than green items.  Especially when it seems like an awful lot more blue and yellow items are dropping in start zones now, off routine mobs, than I ever remember before.  To any gamer with any ounce of experience (or jading) that just screams of greed and a cash-shop done wrong.  The once-every-20-minutes OH LOOK AT THIS ITEM... sorry you can't use it!  Isn't enticing, it's a slap in the face.

My hope is they clarify it'll not be like this for launch.  A red item is reason to fork over some cash, not some blue item at level 2 that just dropped off a beetle.  My guess is this IS intended, though, and SOE actually things upping the 'good' drops of gear like this, then having the 'neener neener, need a gold membership' is actually a good model.  It's not, because people won't stick around long enough to WANT to pay or the game, as they'll constantly feel SOE is standing their making it so they NEED to pay.

Psych 101, really.  Try to MAKE me pay just to seem to have any chance at surviving in the game and I'll refuse. Make me WANT to pay, for whatever reason, and I'll gladly fork over some money even if it's just a good-faith gesture.

According to a Facebook quiz, I'm a genius.