Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Great game, sad combat and animations.

Comments

• bezadobezado Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

Originally posted by Praetalus
    Originally posted by bezado   Originally posted by gaugemew I don't understand why everyone is so defensive about the combat in TSW.  It's pretty terrible.  To say "it's new" is sort of laughable and gives you away as a fanboy.  From my perspective they weren't even trying to hide that combat was not a priority for them.   Combat in TSW = tab to a target, hit some number keys.  As far as tha animations go, they are off.  They don't look fluid, they don't make sense half the time.   TSW has a lot going for it, the only sad part is that it's a very small portion of the game currently.  If the vast majority of the game was investigation it would have been a lot better.  I don't think it's fair to jump on people for critisizing the combat in this game.  This combat in this game was done over 10 years ago.  It is far from new.
      Thank you, and as much as it sucks to say I think this one will only last another 5 months max before going F2P just because it has only the quest and storyline going for it. Like many have said and myself here in this thread, combat and animations is terrible.
    Hmmm, perhaps I'm off the mark, but most of the comments I've seen on this site about the game are positive... The only person who really agrees with you is a documented TSW hater - as he's someone who has planted a flag with gw2. I'm not defending the game because I'm some sort of Funcom "fan". I was a fan of AO - but hated Conan. I don't like or dislike a game based on the Developer, but rather the game itself. Myself and many others are having fun playing. If you are not, that's perfectly fine.. All I was saying, was don't try to make it a generation thing, cause it's not. You have corrected your post to say most... however, most of the old school people that have commented... all but you I believe disagree with you. So perhaps you're not the "most". You're more in with the Lesser. 

It depends, and logic plays a huge role here in this thread. Also TSW is fun based on what I said in my OP about the quest and storyline, that is all it has going for it and even I said I am unsure how long it will keep interest based solely on that.

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Originally posted by bezado

Originally posted by pierth
    Again, please provide an example of where you find EQ1's combat more difficult because so far you've made assertions but pointed out no concrete reasons. At this point it does truly sound like you have the nostalgia goggles on.

Sure, for one EQ1 did not have a linear gameplay style, and secondly it could not be played with lots of distractions. EQ1 you actually had to think, the same could not be said for the melee toons, but for the casters for example. Most of EQ content was setup for group play, and the mobs were geared towards your armor and level. Also spells were not just given to you, as you had to work for everything. Progression = difficulty. You have to look at it in terms of release years and not now, you had a very hard time playing these games as a solo player back then vs mmorpg's today.

EQ is much more easier now than it was in the first few years that I was comparing, remember I said that older generation who played such and such, meaning it was during those years and not focused on now. EQ now is really easy, mercenaries for one made the game seriously easy, but then you got what I call easy mode gear that they put in to help the players. Also gear and weapons were not easily obtainable in those games as a solo player, so for instance in EQ it was extremely difficult to get good items solo if not impossible, and again this is comparing the old years and not how it is today. Because over the years the older classics became easier, as time went on patches, as time went on they also dumbed them down making them easier for everyone, essentially jumping on the easy mode bandwagon.

Where was I, oh yes, if you look at back then you could not just get everything and make things easier for you. It took days if not months to get good items, and the difficulty was really high because the mobs could kill you easily without help or if you were not geared right to survive. Plus they had corpse runs in EQ. Look at UO how difficult that was back then prior till 2006 I would say. Also AC, that game was freaking unreal for how difficult it was, and now it is cake.

The problem I think you had with my comments is that you overshadowed your perception with how it is now vs how it was then. Remember, again they changed these classics to reflect the easy mode of today and a lot of them became easier to play.

One main EQ combat trait that made the game harder was the balance. You got hit really hard for having lower AC (armor class) and with magics (resists were lower back then) and also hit box was a lot smaller back then, you pretty much can hit further away now, back then you had to be up on top the mob very close and it added a more dangerous aspect. Also the original EQ ui gave you a 8 inch square window to look through for the game world, that made things even more difficult. So many things to list but you now have an idea. Plus you had more players back then who actually knew how to socialize correctly, by that I mean they were sociable and now you would be lucky if someone comes up to you and says hello want to group up.

So let me ask you this: Everquest 1 is still alive and kicking. Can you tell me why you're not playing it? I can tell you this... Shadowbane was my favorite MMO ever in my mind. If it were out right now (it kinda is with the emulator project) I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. I had fun back in the day, but my taste has matured with age and standing in a field mindlessly grinding ettins, etc just won't cut it for me any longer. Do I often miss some of the bane's and pvp.. sure. But when you take off the rose colored glasses, I see the week points in the game and why I moved on. 

Originally posted by Johnnymmo
    So everything was better 10 years ago???? So you want a super grindy difficult game. Thats Nice for you. They Made wow easy and it got t hem 12 mill subs, so what u Think the masses prefer?

Have not said that, but what you can take from what I have said is that the difficulty is way to easy now days. It should prolong your gaming experience just a little more, make it so you don't just stroll right through to the end after a month. If you like the super easy mode and feel like you can own everything then I have to ask you, what's the point in playing a roleplaying game online now, is it just to get the shiny things? I am all for easy mode on some things, but for me a excessively fast paced easy mode throughout the entire game is really boring and leaves much to be expected. If you disagree then you probably will be content with everything given to you forever. Should we just start calling mmorpg games for what they are today, (welfare) for gamers, because everything is handed to you. I guess you like me have different opinions and everyone will look at online gaming differently today vs old school, but first you had to of played those legit before you can compare.

Originally posted by bezado   Originally posted by pierth Again, please provide an example of where you find EQ1's combat more difficult because so far you've made assertions but pointed out no concrete reasons. At this point it does truly sound like you have the nostalgia goggles on.
      Sure, for one EQ1 did not have a linear gameplay style, and secondly it could not be played with lots of distractions. EQ1 you actually had to think, the same could not be said for the melee toons, but for the casters for example. Most of EQ content was setup for group play, and the mobs were geared towards your armor and level. Also spells were not just given to you, as you had to work for everything. Progression = difficulty. You have to look at it in terms of release years and not now, you had a very hard time playing these games as a solo player back then vs mmorpg's today. EQ is much more easier now than it was in the first few years that I was comparing, remember I said that older generation who played such and such, meaning it was during those years and not focused on now. EQ now is really easy, mercenaries for one made the game seriously easy, but then you got what I call easy mode gear that they put in to help the players. Also gear and weapons were not easily obtainable in those games as a solo player, so for instance in EQ it was extremely difficult to get good items solo if not impossible, and again this is comparing the old years and not how it is today. Because over the years the older classics became easier, as time went on patches, as time went on they also dumbed them down making them easier for everyone, essentially jumping on the easy mode bandwagon. Where was I, oh yes, if you look at back then you could not just get everything and make things easier for you. It took days if not months to get good items, and the difficulty was really high because the mobs could kill you easily without help or if you were not geared right to survive. Plus they had corpse runs in EQ. Look at UO how difficult that was back then prior till 2006 I would say. Also AC, that game was freaking unreal for how difficult it was, and now it is cake. The problem I think you had with my comments is that you overshadowed your perception with how it is now vs how it was then. Remember, again they changed these classics to reflect the easy mode of today and a lot of them became easier to play. One main EQ combat trait that made the game harder was the balance. You got hit really hard for having lower AC (armor class) and with magics (resists were lower back then) and also hit box was a lot smaller back then, you pretty much can hit further away now, back then you had to be up on top the mob very close and it added a more dangerous aspect. Also the original EQ ui gave you a 8 inch square window to look through for the game world, that made things even more difficult. So many things to list but you now have an idea. Plus you had more players back then who actually knew how to socialize correctly, by that I mean they were sociable and now you would be lucky if someone comes up to you and says hello want to group up.
    So let me ask you this: Everquest 1 is still alive and kicking. Can you tell me why you're not playing it? I can tell you this... Shadowbane was my favorite MMO ever in my mind. If it were out right now (it kinda is with the emulator project) I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. I had fun back in the day, but my taste has matured with age and standing in a field mindlessly grinding ettins, etc just won't cut it for me any longer. Do I often miss some of the bane's and pvp.. sure. But when you take off the rose colored glasses, I see the week points in the game and why I moved on. 

I do play EQ1 sometimes still, as said in previous post on this thread. Old games that are still alive and kicking are because they are still providing profit with minimal costs to keep them running. It's mostly old school gamers and returning players who go back to them, newer players who choose to play them do so to try see what the big deal is and end up not experiencing the real gameplay that was involved back then, because like I said before many of these classics became easier to play.

Shadowbane was a PVP mmorpg, you really can't compare that too closely to the other classics that either strictly were PVE or offered separately a way to PVP by choice. Shadowbane was a faction based PVP game, I too played it and it was grindy for a number of reasons that I can recall frostwolf posting about, mainly to encourage PVP interactions and secondly to encourage teamwork in getting things for various PVP oriented things.

• BlindchanceBlindchance Member UncommonPosts: 1,112

I decided to buy it, despite knowing what to expect from combat after my beta experience. This time instead of going full handguns I went hammer/elemental. I still have some missions to finish in the first zone and after studing some deck possibilities and can clearly say hardly anything changed in my perception of the combat. 5,5,5,5, 7,7, 2, 1, 2,1, 2, 1,2 optional dodge and repeat. If it is a group I replace 7 with 6 and 2 with 3.

I admit it's quite hard to get out anything exciting  from tab targetted combat with typical MMORPG mob AI, but even so in terms of combat TSW is a relict. I doubt I even try pvp, I can't see here any place for a good competitive experience. Don't get me wrong I enjoy the game setting, atmopshere, tinkering with decks and the story line so far, but I still think the skills and combat itself are uninspired. Funcom tried to do something new, but they failed at this aspect of TSW, at least in my opinion. The game gets 7/10 from me. 

Originally posted by pierth Again, please provide an example of where you find EQ1's combat more difficult because so far you've made assertions but pointed out no concrete reasons. At this point it does truly sound like you have the nostalgia goggles on.
      Sure, for one EQ1 did not have a linear gameplay style, and secondly it could not be played with lots of distractions. EQ1 you actually had to think, the same could not be said for the melee toons, but for the casters for example. Most of EQ content was setup for group play, and the mobs were geared towards your armor and level. Also spells were not just given to you, as you had to work for everything. Progression = difficulty. You have to look at it in terms of release years and not now, you had a very hard time playing these games as a solo player back then vs mmorpg's today. EQ is much more easier now than it was in the first few years that I was comparing, remember I said that older generation who played such and such, meaning it was during those years and not focused on now. EQ now is really easy, mercenaries for one made the game seriously easy, but then you got what I call easy mode gear that they put in to help the players. Also gear and weapons were not easily obtainable in those games as a solo player, so for instance in EQ it was extremely difficult to get good items solo if not impossible, and again this is comparing the old years and not how it is today. Because over the years the older classics became easier, as time went on patches, as time went on they also dumbed them down making them easier for everyone, essentially jumping on the easy mode bandwagon. Where was I, oh yes, if you look at back then you could not just get everything and make things easier for you. It took days if not months to get good items, and the difficulty was really high because the mobs could kill you easily without help or if you were not geared right to survive. Plus they had corpse runs in EQ. Look at UO how difficult that was back then prior till 2006 I would say. Also AC, that game was freaking unreal for how difficult it was, and now it is cake. The problem I think you had with my comments is that you overshadowed your perception with how it is now vs how it was then. Remember, again they changed these classics to reflect the easy mode of today and a lot of them became easier to play. One main EQ combat trait that made the game harder was the balance. You got hit really hard for having lower AC (armor class) and with magics (resists were lower back then) and also hit box was a lot smaller back then, you pretty much can hit further away now, back then you had to be up on top the mob very close and it added a more dangerous aspect. Also the original EQ ui gave you a 8 inch square window to look through for the game world, that made things even more difficult. So many things to list but you now have an idea. Plus you had more players back then who actually knew how to socialize correctly, by that I mean they were sociable and now you would be lucky if someone comes up to you and says hello want to group up.

I do play EQ1 sometimes still, as said in previous post on this thread. Old games that are still alive and kicking are because they are still providing profit with minimal costs to keep them running. It's mostly old school gamers and returning players who go back to them, newer players who choose to play them do so to try see what the big deal is and end up not experiencing the real gameplay that was involved back then, because like I said before many of these classics became easier to play.

Shadowbane was a PVP mmorpg, you really can't compare that too closely to the other classics that either strictly were PVE or offered separately a way to PVP by choice. Shadowbane was a faction based PVP game, I too played it and it was grindy for a number of reasons that I can recall frostwolf posting about, mainly to encourage PVP interactions and secondly to encourage teamwork in getting things for various PVP oriented things.

I do understand what you're saying about not wanting a super easy game. I really do. Perhaps fatherhood has worn me down, lol. To be honest, I'm such a casual gamer these days, it's hard for me to not like a game. It takes me about 10x a normal person to eat through the content. Like I said, perhaps I'm not good at games anymore, but I have really found TSW to be much harder then just about any mmo I've played in the past 3 years or so. I'm dying a lot. I played through the first 15 or so levels of my character on Tera before finally dying and only did so because a level 60 felt the need to connect a line from the back of my head to my asscrack with a giant axe. But really, I didn't die ever in pve. Same with TOR. They were pretty easy. But I'm not getting that impression with this one. 

It took me a while in TSW to work out a good build that I like, as I don't just want to go online and copy someone elses. But I really don't find the game easy. I guess that's where the disconnect is coming in with what you're saying. It could be that I'm just not the player I once was too...

Originally posted by Blindchance
    I decided to buy it, despite knowing what to expect from combat after my beta experience. This time instead of going full handguns I went hammer/elemental. I still have some missions to finish in the first zone and after studing some deck possibilities and can clearly say hardly anything changed in my perception of the combat. 5,5,5,5, 7,7, 2, 1, 2,1, 2, 1,2 optional dodge and repeat. If it is a group I replace 7 with 6 and 2 with 3.I admit it's quite hard to get out anything exciting  from tab targetted combat with typical MMORPG mob AI, but even so in terms of combat TSW is a relict. I doubt I even try pvp, I can't see here any place for a good competitive experience. Don't get me wrong I enjoy the game setting, atmopshere, tinkering with decks and the story line so far, but I still think the skills and combat itself are uninspired. Funcom tried to do something new, but they failed at this aspect of TSW, at least in my opinion. The game gets 7/10 from me. 

Yes I agree with you, except you're a little more modest of a score of 7/10, I don't think the storyline and quests are enough to make up that majority of the 7. The skill system that I did not even mention about is confusing to players and is lacking in balance. I would rate it overall a 6/10 even with the really good points. Gameplay, combat, and animations should be top priority.

I decided to buy it, despite knowing what to expect from combat after my beta experience. This time instead of going full handguns I went hammer/elemental. I still have some missions to finish in the first zone and after studing some deck possibilities and can clearly say hardly anything changed in my perception of the combat. 5,5,5,5, 7,7, 2, 1, 2,1, 2, 1,2 optional dodge and repeat. If it is a group I replace 7 with 6 and 2 with 3.

I admit it's quite hard to get out anything exciting  from tab targetted combat with typical MMORPG mob AI, but even so in terms of combat TSW is a relict. I doubt I even try pvp, I can't see here any place for a good competitive experience. Don't get me wrong I enjoy the game setting, atmopshere, tinkering with decks and the story line so far, but I still think the skills and combat itself are uninspired. Funcom tried to do something new, but they failed at this aspect of TSW, at least in my opinion. The game gets 7/10 from me. 

But tell me how the combat is different in other mmo's? Even in eq1, you have rotations of spells, which is what you're describing above. Same with WoW. Same with Tera, only you must be aiming at the fella. Same with TOR. It's an mmo. The only different one I can really think of is conan where you have to use the arrows to attack after you hit the abilities, but then it was still a rotation of abilities with added arrow usage. 

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Where was I, oh yes, if you look at back then you could not just get everything and make things easier for you. It took days if not months to get good items, and the difficulty was really high because the mobs could kill you easily without help or if you were not geared right to survive. Plus they had corpse runs in EQ. Look at UO how difficult that was back then prior till 2006 I would say. Also AC, that game was freaking unreal for how difficult it was, and now it is cake.

Wrong again; EZmode- Thy name is EC Tunnel. If some mobs are too difficult to kill at your current level then you can go with a group or wait until you outlevel the mobs and come back to farm- this can be done in TSW as well. As I said in a previous post- in Blue Mountain and higher, you can be killed very easily if you don't have particular skills or synergies and just like in EQ1 if you want it easier, group up. I don't see a difference except for time spent.

The problem I think you had with my comments is that you overshadowed your perception with how it is now vs how it was then. Remember, again they changed these classics to reflect the easy mode of today and a lot of them became easier to play.

Again, I'm playing on an emulated classic server, it's as close as I (or anyone) can get to 1999 in this day and age. There are a lot of things that are different but the combat and timesinks are not one of them. So no, rather than looking back with rose-colored glasses about how hard things were, I'm actually playing the closest thing to that time RIGHT NOW and can tell you you're wrong.

One main EQ combat trait that made the game harder was the balance. You got hit really hard for having lower AC (armor class) and with magics (resists were lower back then) and also hit box was a lot smaller back then, you pretty much can hit further away now, back then you had to be up on top the mob very close and it added a more dangerous aspect. Also the original EQ ui gave you a 8 inch square window to look through for the game world, that made things even more difficult. So many things to list but you now have an idea. Plus you had more players back then who actually knew how to socialize correctly, by that I mean they were sociable and now you would be lucky if someone comes up to you and says hello want to group up.

Ok, so now you go from focusing on casters to melee to try to make a point, and still come up short.

Regarding hitboxes, yes you have to find the "sweet spot" to get better hits for melee (as a caster you just stand back and waggle your fingers- big deal) but spatial awareness is just as present in TSW and other games- particularly when mobs are packed in together- in all games, today and in the past if you're in melee range you're more liable to get hit- nothing has changed. AC is still taken into account, it's a base gear stat and improves as you get higher level gear- I haven't seen any change in that... ever. The rest of your post is just rambling, has no bearing on difficulty or combat.

I miss the old communities in MMORPGs as much as the next old-school gamer, but that has nothing to do with this thread- combat wasn't more difficult- it's the same tab target skill rotation we've seen in all traditional MMOs. Hell, TSW even has limited space for skill/ability choices just as EQ1 did with spells. Your argument is nothing but a yearning for something that isn't there.

One last time- grind isn't difficulty, it's just time-consuming.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

That's too bad because combat and animations almost never get updated.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• shadow9d9shadow9d9 Member UncommonPosts: 374

You have to actively dodge and get to jump a bit higher.  Much better than WoW and its clones.  

Yes I agree with you, except you're a little more modest of a score of 7/10, I don't think the storyline and quests are enough to make up that majority of the 7. The skill system that I did not even mention about is confusing to players and is lacking in balance. I would rate it overall a 6/10 even with the really good points. Gameplay, combat, and animations should be top priority.

I suppose I'm in a good mood ;) I'm rather fussy when it comes to sub based MMORPGs and I don't see myself to extend my sub beyond the frist moth of TSW. Combat is the core of most MMORPGs , whatever it's pve or pvp. It's a shame it's not up to the standard. I know I will get bashed for this by some angry TSW die hard fans, but here it goes:

with no sub GW2 is going to be a winner of 2012 MMO market.

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Ugh, it cut off the first part of my post, in addendum:

Sure, for one EQ1 did not have a linear gameplay style, and secondly it could not be played with lots of distractions. EQ1 you actually had to think, the same could not be said for the melee toons, but for the casters for example. Most of EQ content was setup for group play, and the mobs were geared towards your armor and level. Also spells were not just given to you, as you had to work for everything. Progression = difficulty.

Correct, EQ1 isn't as linear as most of today's themeparks- what does that have to do with the difficulty of combat? Secondly, you're wrong. If soloing in either game it's easy to go AFK- you find a safe spot, and then go AFK- that simple. Even easier in EQ1 because of sneak, hide, and feign death. All games have areas appropriate for your level/gear, EQ1 just has more variety/choice than today's games- still has nothing to do with difficulty. And progression? Progression was just grinding, and if you grind at the right spots you can just buy gear and spell progression- remember in classic EQ1 very little was soulbound. You could buy almost anything you wanted.

As for the underlined part- this is another instance where you claim something with no evidence whatsoever. You had to think about what? What to load your spellbar with? Like how you have to choose your active and passive abilities in TSW? Or do you mean think about pathing? Because both games have wandering mobs, and add is just as likely to get you killed in either game.

• OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039

Originally posted by Orphes
    You were talking about the game back then, so yes back then.

Gear was incredibly hard to get back then, the good stuff required lots either a group or large scale raids of 100 people or more, as years went on the level of difficulty to obtain such gear resulted in fewer players to do so. From early years of 100+ raids to fewer than 15 now for example. And today's mmorpg's the gear is essentially easy to get solo, you get good gear that allows you to go from front to end game just by soloing, or if they got a buy to win button then you do that.

TSW is more of a solo or duo type of gear game, where you can obtain everything super easy to advance, while some of us would rather it be more difficult to obtain gear that gave you an even or more than even advantage every step of difficulty you go up, and by that I mean they should have a few levels where you do not get gear upgrades that give you an even or advantage for the same level mobs you are on. They make these games way to easy for the player to reach max game, why, what is the point. Slow it down for the player so they can enjoy it longer. *cough* SWTOR, don't get me started about that crap.

So if (over)simplify what you said it's the effort to get gear needed, timewise and groupwise, to be able to defeat an encounter. There was no leroom for not using topnotch gear. (I just focused on gear alot :S)

Looking at other post, if not here then at TSW forum, people wants higher QL gear rather than a good player. I assume that you needed to be good player and have good gear. 

How do one go from there, I mean i would be easy to make gear hard to get, but still at some point you have them and then making the encounter easier.

I believe at some point not only have the game become 'easier' but we have also seen so much, have so much knowledge, orund the games so it is easier. For instance when I was in a raid guild in a game, we didn't solve the encounters we read guides made from others.

I was just doing what I read that I should do. If the encounter was thougth of as hard, by others, that was when it was new. Now I just focus on content that I can randomly run with a pug, or if I get in a nice and good guild(whatever name), it's most about is it fun to do this with other people, or is it fun to do this and that alone for the time being.

What makes me enjoy,in TSW for instance, is that I more have to look what the encounter does. Dodge/walk away/whatever  for me that made a difference beetween dying by two mobs or kill three of the same, at the same time.

What makes a game hard and and fun or just plain fun is so relative.

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"

• knightauditknightaudit Member UncommonPosts: 389

So you think the animations are crap and the game play is lackluster ... Ok fair enough.. but now time to put your money where your mouth is ... What would you do to make it better, What would you change, how would you change it. Saying it is all fine and good ... but you still have to have an idea how to fix it as well.

If you do not know how to do it or have anyideas on how .. then suck it up buttercup and just accept it.

if you think you can do better then get your own game design studio, and make your own game so everyone can crap all over it.

Remember .. be part of the solution or part of the problem ... and bitching about it .. is part of the problem.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Erre knight....when you share impressions or opinions about something you don't have to say how to make it better. Otherwise no one would be able yo say anything about anything. I'm sure there is a name for the flawed argument you are trying to make.

• knightauditknightaudit Member UncommonPosts: 389

People are complaing that the gameplay is not good and the animations are bad... So how do you make it better.

If you are cooking something people may say .. needs salt, or maybe it needs a bit more garlic to make it better. If people were to complain and not say it was lacking .. How do you impove on it? What is a good fix, or idea to make it better?

• DoomedfoxDoomedfox Member UncommonPosts: 679

The combat is as exciting as your build is if you do not manage to think up an exciting build that allows you to use more than a couple buttons well thats too bad than.

Its easy to find boring combat in this game but whenever i see ppl complaining about it and than telling us how they only spam a couple skills well i have to laugh and wonder why they don't just take some time and actually build a setup that allows them to use more skills.

I can see how a tanking build might feel boring if you use it in group content but than its the same in all games you always rotate skills to keep hate (7 1 1 2 2 2 3 4 11 2 2 2 6 4 3 1 1 2 2 2 5 4 3 my normal tanking rotation) but outside of that i could not point out now in what order i use my skills i suppose i do use 1 a lot as its a builder but besides that its really depending on situation i certainly do not have the same rotation every encounter thats for sure.

Some might say now that having to use a builder all the time is boring but i rather use a builder myself than have this boring auto attack thats just so old by now and overused i want to control my character myself and not watch him using auto attacks and by having to use the builder myself the whole combat feels faster than just having my character use auto attack.

I do agree with the OP on the point that modern MMOs seem to easy but i have to wonder how he honestly could say that about TSW....

TSW is by far the hardest MMO that came out in a long time not the first zone mind you but it gets tougher and when the mobs start absorbing (or just high resistance) to certain types of attacks you need to think about the right methods to win.

That certainly is more than can be said about most (if not all) recent MMOs or even the couple big ones that will release soon.

The bottom line is that the combat is no second coming but it certainly is not worse that anything we got so far in my opinion its better than most but i do try to find me exciting builds so maybe thats why.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

looks and plays fine to me here's my combat vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGvcJ8GRNzI&list=UUB_5Sgr1sSIjj7XP2DZ8bsw&index=2&feature=plcp

combat is fast and if you setup gear managment right you can hotswap sets with a touch of a button making the transition seamless. I can see people haveing some issues with some of the animations as some feel odd but overall it's leaps better than most MMO combat.. at least for me.

Oh and it's actually very challenging later on unlike most other MMOs.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by pierth
    Ugh, it cut off the first part of my post, in addendum:Originally posted by bezado
    Sure, for one EQ1 did not have a linear gameplay style, and secondly it could not be played with lots of distractions. EQ1 you actually had to think, the same could not be said for the melee toons, but for the casters for example. Most of EQ content was setup for group play, and the mobs were geared towards your armor and level. Also spells were not just given to you, as you had to work for everything. Progression = difficulty.

Correct, EQ1 isn't as linear as most of today's themeparks- what does that have to do with the difficulty of combat? Secondly, you're wrong. If soloing in either game it's easy to go AFK- you find a safe spot, and then go AFK- that simple. Even easier in EQ1 because of sneak, hide, and feign death. All games have areas appropriate for your level/gear, EQ1 just has more variety/choice than today's games- still has nothing to do with difficulty. And progression? Progression was just grinding, and if you grind at the right spots you can just buy gear and spell progression- remember in classic EQ1 very little was soulbound. You could buy almost anything you wanted.

As for the underlined part- this is another instance where you claim something with no evidence whatsoever. You had to think about what? What to load your spellbar with? Like how you have to choose your active and passive abilities in TSW? Or do you mean think about pathing? Because both games have wandering mobs, and add is just as likely to get you killed in either game.

First off you're playing a emulated server, I should not even be arguing with you on what EQ was originally like as you think you are playing 100% EQ 1999, and emulated EQ is garbage no matter what folks say, they just play the 1999 because of nostalgia reasons, but whatever.

Linear has a lot to do with difficulty. When a developer creates a linear mmorpg it always means the content and gear is exactly balanced perfectly all the time for the current content the player is, and most quest reward gear will give a bigger advantage than it should for that current content. A non linear style almost always will have harder content and will most of the time be in favor of the mobs over player in terms of advantage. The linear style puts a player on a path in the direction the developer wants them to go to each level, it tells them you will go here and we will gear you with this gear from this quest and you will kill the mobs easily because we balanced it like that so you could keep moving, that is basically what linear style is when they develop in the linear style.

You bring up AFK, but I am clueless as I did not mention going AFK?

Read my post again when I mentioned progression. I must clarify for you on your idea of progression, it is not the idea of buying gear to advance. Progression has a lot to do with difficulty, a higher difficulty is the result of telling a player they must do these major quest series and do these raids in order to gain these armors and weapons in order to participate on the higher end harder content. Progression today for you guys means buying the gear from a auction house or from gold farmers. In this whole argument I been on topic, and have again stated that my opinions are towards the early days of mmorpg's from 1999-2005. So in respect to that I believe you should have an idea of what that was like before you comment further, because playing emulator servers of classics isn't the same shit.

Originally posted by knightaudit
    So you think the animations are crap and the game play is lackluster ... Ok fair enough.. but now time to put your money where your mouth is ... What would you do to make it better, What would you change, how would you change it. Saying it is all fine and good ... but you still have to have an idea how to fix it as well.If you do not know how to do it or have anyideas on how .. then suck it up buttercup and just accept it.if you think you can do better then get your own game design studio, and make your own game so everyone can crap all over it.Remember .. be part of the solution or part of the problem ... and bitching about it .. is part of the problem.

You make about as much sense as me yelling at an ant to get off my lawn, lmao.

So you think the animations are crap and the game play is lackluster ... Ok fair enough.. but now time to put your money where your mouth is ... What would you do to make it better, What would you change, how would you change it. Saying it is all fine and good ... but you still have to have an idea how to fix it as well.

If you do not know how to do it or have anyideas on how .. then suck it up buttercup and just accept it.

if you think you can do better then get your own game design studio, and make your own game so everyone can crap all over it.

Remember .. be part of the solution or part of the problem ... and bitching about it .. is part of the problem.

There is no point in any suggestions. The animations don't get on my nerves as much as their smoothness and natural look isn't critical to the game play itself. Combat...well it is way too late to change anything as the faults in my opinion lie in the core of the whole combat and skill mechanics.

There is no enough active skill slots, seven is simply not enough to get enough variety. If you add one escape skill and stun breaker you are down to five skills with any other combat use. One/two builders and most likely two resource spenders per weapon. Now if you would like to add a CC skill you need to sacrafice one of your builders. You end up with builds which are about pressing 4 buttons in the same sequence. NOT FUN. Sure you can make different decks, but you can't switch between them in combat and they have the same silly restrcitions of two weapons and 7 active and 7 passive skills. Abilty to move while using skills is a cool adition ( even if many skills don't let you to move with full speed ), but the dodge mechanic is a missed chance to make the combat more dynamic and more abour reading your opponent. You should be allowed to dodge more then once per 20 ( 30 ? )  seconds.

How to fix it ? There is no way to fix it. One of the rules of any game development is no major changes to game mechanics after the launch. TSW combat is bound to stay the same.

There is no point in any suggestions. The animations don't get on my nerves as much as their smoothness and natural look isn't critical to the game play itself. Combat...well it is way too late to change anything as the faults in my opinion lie in the core of the whole combat and skill mechanics.

There is no enough active skill slots, seven is simply not enough to get enough variety. If you add one escape skill and stun breaker you are down to five skills with any other combat use. One/two builders and most likely two resource spenders per weapon. Now if you would like to add a CC skill you need to sacrafice one of your builders. You end up with builds which are about pressing 4 buttons in the same sequence. NOT FUN. Sure you can make different decks, but you can't switch between them in combat and they have the same silly restrcitions of two weapons and 7 active and 7 passive skills. Abilty to move while using skills is a cool adition ( even if many skills don't let you to move with full speed ), but the dodge mechanic is a missed chance to make the combat more dynamic and more abour reading your opponent. You should be allowed to dodge more then once per 20 ( 30 ? )  seconds.

How to fix it ? There is no way to fix it. One of the rules of any game development is no major changes to game mechanics after the launch. TSW combat is bound to stay the same.

you guys are really missing the fun of the combat system and deck swapping... they made it a little cumbersome but with some work you can setup decks to swap out your sets with a touch of a button. You can setup this so even if you have cooldown skills you can chain swap decks as you move from enemy to enemy and never worry about cooldowns much at all.. Although most cooldowns in this game are very short and less than 1 min anyway. It's a blast going from AOE deck to Ranged single to melee to healer and back again. Half the fun is just setting up the deck in the first place.. oh also dodge is 10 seconds... how to fix combat? have more of an open mind and don't try to play it like every other MMO

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

Is it better than planetside? no
    Is it better than gw2 beta? Not quite
    Is it better than wow and its myriad clones? Hell yeah.

I mirror the OP's sentiments and those posted above.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

Originally posted by DeaconX
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

Is it better than planetside? no
    Is it better than gw2 beta? Not quite
    Is it better than wow and its myriad clones? Hell yeah.

I mirror the OP's sentiments and those posted above.

I mirror ShakyMo's view and you can see why in my post above