Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sylvari/Asura - will you or not?

Comments

• ZenonSethZenonSeth Member Posts: 128

To at least try them out, maybe past the intro instance, see what the tone of the races is. I already know a little about the Asura from GW1, but i'm curious how they made the Sylvari sound (for example, all Norn are eager to earn honor),

Probably won't play much past that unless it turns out to be very interesting.

• tokinitokini Member UncommonPosts: 372

i will just to check out the starter zones. i usually dont play the short or 'small' races in games, for some reason, and i usually shy away from 'flower child' types as well.

but i must admit the cubicle city looked pretty cool, wouldnt mind calling it home.

• Chase187666Chase187666 Member UncommonPosts: 138

I was just about to make this thread lol.

I probably wont play either so that I have fresh new begining content for release! :)

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Originally I wasn't going to, but generally the more exotic races are the ones people flock to when a game first launches. That means those areas are going to be obnoxiously overcrowded. While in GW2 you actually WANT a large amount of people around you, killing the same things you are, I'm not convinced there's enough "optimization" in the world that will prepare my computer for the amount of people that will be in the nub zones the first couple of weeks. So, I'd rather get to play them and explore their zones during BWE's when there's significantly less people than there will be at launch.

I'll probably just stick with Human and make an Asura/Sylvari when the initial shiny factor winds down a bit.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• causscauss Member UncommonPosts: 666

Nope, I won't. Asura is one of my favorite races ever. When I first saw them in Eye of the North, I thought; Man, I would love to play one of those. I want to keep my experience fresh for launch.

And the Sylvari, I also want to keep my experience fresh for this race. I love what ArenaNet did with the Sylvari.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by seridan
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Bad poll Spock, there should have been a button for the people not decided or not in beta...

What's the point of such a poll option? The poll is simple: Will you make Asura/Sylvari or not? Obviously only those interested in the game will answer.

Thats not true... people have no button to quickly go to the results in MMORPG polls. You can only see the results if you login and answer the poll (very bad design from MMORPG.com) and so people will choose an answer at random despite the fact that they are not in BWE3, but just want to see the results.

Due to the failure of MMORPG.com having no "Just show me the results" button people need to add this option which makes the results of the poll cluttered.  But having a cluttered result that can be easilly solved by some math is better then having a number of random votes from people that only want to see the results.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• BijouBijou Member UncommonPosts: 145

Sylvari - No, because it will be my race at release, I don't want to spoil the fun of the starter zone.
    Asura - Maybe, not sure.

• dadante666dadante666 Member UncommonPosts: 402

cause ill play asura i think ill roll sylvari on beta  to experience somthing new on release.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

I'll make an asura just to see the animations and stuff. Going to save the actual exploration for when the game launches.

• NeferaNefera Member Posts: 426
    Originally posted by Netgamer7k
    Originally posted by Nefera

I'll definitely try out both races. I've yet to decide my race+profession combo, and I seriously hope I can nail that down during next beta weekend. Otherwise I'll be in an infinite reroll loop at release.

I feel ya. Although, my choice way back in 2010 when I first heard of GW2, was immediately Asura Elementalist, cause I'm totally into the midget-like race casting huge fireballs or whatever. But as time went on, all these other professions look pretty tempting to make as my main.

Just remember that each class is very unique from each other with a specific type of playstyle. Pick the one you feel fits your playstyle the most. I mean, people like you and I end up being alt-oholics in the end, with 10 characters and playing whatever we feel like at the moment.

I've already been trying to figure out the race+profession combo for the past two beta weekends and two stress tests... -.-

I know I'll be an alt-oholic anyway, but it'd be nice to at least know the starting profession. :S

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348

I'm such an altoholic I already purchased 3 extra character slots, partly with the free gems, plarty with gems I purchased in game during BWE2. Each already has a character in them (one of each class) so I'll be deleting one if I want to make a Sylvari or Asura.

I will be playing Asura in BWE3, probably not until sunday because I don't want to play to aweful much and if I make that char on friday afternoon I'll want to play it all weekend. I won't be making a Sylvari accept perhaps in the final hours of Sunday night and simply because I'm going to play Sylvari as my main (most likely) and I want to get a bit of a feel for the race. I also want to play around with character creation and get an idea of my characters look when I make my main on the 25th of August. :)

In the end I'm not to worried about 'spoiling' either new race. In two BWE I've put 60+ hours in and I've only touched the games content. I've done only 20% of the norn starting zone, about 50% of the Charr one. I've completed Queensdale and have about 60% Kessex Hills. My highest lvl character is 23rd lvl. So all in all I've done about 10% of the games content, if even that. I'm not too worried about spoiling the game. :)

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861

im tempted to try it out. i didnt like last beta event, stuff started to get boring for me, most likely because of the subconcious understanding that my character will be deleted anyway and everything i do now will most likely have to be redone.

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

I Voted NO.....   don´t really know  why..... o.O

because i´m sure i´ll end up hooking on a enigmatic Sylvari or a Smart as hell Asura!

But the thing is that i really don´t want to spoil those races since they´ll be my main.

Anyway,it´s great they give us the option to try them!

Can´t wait for last Beta Event and FFS finally Release!!!!   :)

imageimage

imageimage

• p_c_sousap_c_sousa Member Posts: 620

i vote YES because my main will be human or sylvari so i will create a sylvari to see if i like them, if i not like Human will be. Asura and Norn are the classes i will never play after release, just dont like them

btw i will create a Sylvari but im not gonna play new start zones

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641
    Originally posted by BadSpock

Poll shows dramatically in the "yes" column.

Too tempting to resist if given the option!

This is because a lot of people (I'm speculating) answered ONLY "will you play Asura or Sylvari," they did NOT answer the question you ASKED which is "will you play Asura or Sylvari in the final BWE.

People don't always read the whole post around here. Sometimes they read the title and answer without reading another word of the OP.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• xholyaccxholyacc Member Posts: 57

i will try asura, but i wont touch shylvari and guardian class ( will save it for the release and as my main and guardian being the only class i havent try (had make a guardian character thought but instantly deleted it)

• RaekonRaekon Member UncommonPosts: 531

These two races were the ones I was waiting the most and my favorites out of all the others (well Charr is another one I love :p ) so I will definately put my hands on them immediately and take my time in the character creation.

Was totally happy when they changed the Sylvari to a real plantbased race (instead of looking like small elves) and I can't wait to play as one! :)

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

My girl doesn't want to spoil anything, which I feel is a little silly.

On the other hand....good lord, those two zones are gonna crash, since I'm betting 98% of the BWE population will be rolling new races.

On the other other hand, what better way to test those zones then royally overrun them?

Man the DEs are gonna suck though.

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

Ye i will try them both to get a feeling of them, i plan to play both races come release, i just have to figure out what race i will have for which profession. Both the new races look phenomenal.

Anyway in a week end you won't be able to see much, i don't think you'll be able to spoil anything honestly, more to give you a feeling of the race and see how their main city are looking, what kind of ambiance the races are bathing in.

• FringeFanBoiFringeFanBoi Member Posts: 32
    Ausora main Slyvari Alt come release!
  • Female asura guardian will be my main. :)

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

Since it's my first BWE I have a lot of things to catch up on and will probably try to get a taste of all the races and classes. I still have no idea what class will be the one I like most. If I have to go on the posts I see in these forums, it'll be one that I'm really not considering at this time.

imageimage
  • ennymithennymith Member UncommonPosts: 121

They Sylvari at first reminded me of the original vegetable monster from the first "The Thing" movie.  But rather than shape shifting monsters we get elvish creatures with leaves or roots instead of hair.  I imagine elve fanciers will flock to this race, but not moi.

The Asura are soo cute!  But I don't do cute.  Lots of people apparently do, so let them have thier misguided fun.

The really big question mark that could end up having me and many more chose either of these is what the race specific special skills etc. will be.  The Sylvari seem to be a favorite creation of one of the lead designers, so it will be interesting to see if they get a little bit more luv than the other races. 

• AstyarilAstyaril Member Posts: 7

I'll probably spend an extensive time on the character creation screen for my Asura (main), then hop on to sPVP to check out the new map. I'm trying my best to avoid spoiling content, which I'm reserving for the headstart. 

• Wyrd01Wyrd01 Member Posts: 27

I am going to make Asura and Sylvari a couple of my mains when the game releases, so I'm going to leave them completely alone for this final beta... not even the character creator, I want them to be completely new and fresh upon release.

In the meantime I'll just go back and keep figuring out what Profession I want them to be.