Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kinda worried about thuis game have any lasting appeal/ability.

Comments

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373

The one thing this thread shows so clearly is the different expectations and situations we all have.  There is never going to be a perfect game and often, especially on this site, when one dislikes a game, its usually ego driven to drive their point home.  In fairness the fanboyz also come out in force to support their games with egotistical support as well.  (see forums for just about any popular game on here for further support)

We all know the pattern, people run out of end game content, leave, come back, game gets second life, gets new content ect.   The bottom line really comes down to these few things, how long will it take you to get to the end game content and do you care enough about the other things the games has to offer like pvp, lore, exploration, character development ect. ?

Everyone's answer and experience is going to be different.  As I stated several times, find a game you like, play it and enjoy it.  This is all that really matters.  There are people still playing SWTOR, TERA, WOW, Rift and they are all enjoying their experiences. I don't play those games personally but others do and have fun.  More power to them and I hope everyone has a great time playing the game of their choice!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832

Well, the OP has the right to worry.  People are already spamming for elite dungeons which is endgame for now.  I'm also about to join the ranks of doing the elite dungeons now that im fully QL10.  Also,  I've ran out of missions  in Transylvania ( a few are bugged, funniest one is the guy sitting and floating in midair. ) and they have a long cooldown of 68 hours. 

BOOYAKA!

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019
    Originally posted by cinos
    Originally posted by SlickShoes
    snip

If you check your post I quoted you said "/played 4 days, beat the main story"

So from that info how am I supposed to guage that you did EVERY single thing that the game has to offer?

The point still stands in one week you clocked 4 days /played, thats hardcore, not normal, realistically an average person playing a few hours a day will take weeks, possibly months to burn through all the content you did.

Disregarding the fact that you assume 4 days played = 96 full hours without a break.

If we can guess that the average person can play for about 6 hours per day on average, that is still only 16 days, a little over 2 weeks before you have done everything with the exception of a few missed quests here and there.

Not really the amount of content one would expect of an MMO which wants you to pay a sub. A single player rpg sure, but not an MMO.

You seem to be confused, 4 days /played is 96 hours in game, we are talking about the command in game that you use to see the time you have played. /played 4 days is 96 hours. I did not suggest he didn't take a single break but playing 96 hours in a week is a long time whatever way you slice it.

I don't know where you get that the average person can play for 6 hours a day, maybe if you are a student or work part time that is true.

Again you think that 96 hours of story content is not enough in this theme park MMO, there are other things to do as well but many people just won't do them, once they have played through the game as they see it, they think that it is completed. MMO's are not about completing the story content. You mention single player RPG's, if someone wants to complete the story and say "i have completed the game" then play single player games.

Name me one themepark MMO that you can't burn through the majority of the content in a couple of weeks, not counting gathering, pvp and raids? People need to realise going in to a themepark these days means that there is no endless amount of content, whining about it on a forum isn't going to change that fact either.

Thanks for clarification, but I never said it wasn't a long time for a weeks play.

I said 6 hours per day on average which is to say one day you might play 2 hours, another play 8 (on the weekend perhaps). I also said "if we can guess", so that's where I got it from.

Read his post again. He said that 96 hours included everything, not just the story content. This is not nearly enough content for an MMO.

Why are we discounting gathering, pvp and raids all of a sudden? The original poster clarified that his playtime included all of those things, so why leave them out when comparing to other MMO's?

Point to take away from this. If you can do everything in this game in 96 hours then it is no bigger than a standard single player rpg. It can't possibly last people months unless if they actually are not playing more then a few hours per week. You basically only need to play for 3.5 hours a day to make this game last 1 month.

This of course all assumes that the 96 hours is an accurate window of time to do everything in the game, baring a few missed quests here and there.

It doesn't really matter what the average is anyway, this is a themepark game and anyone going in to it expecting it to fill years of there life is going to be disappointed, they are going to run out of content sooner or later. 

People don't want kill 10 rats style questing anymore, so the devs create content of a higher quality which takes longer to make, if this game had generic questing maybe they could have added another ring to the skill wheel and 6 more zones full of kill and fetch quests. Would that make it a better game? probably not.

Themepark MMO's are single player RPG's with global chat, group PvP and group Dungeons, the sooner people realise this the better and then the forums won't be flooded with people crying about how many hours it took them to complete the game, they can just steer clear and play a sandbox instead.

EDIT: I left out PvP, raids and gathering because this game doesnt even have two of them and PvP is not something you play once and the complete it, its just there you kill other players over and over, like Call Of Duty, once I have played every game mode and map I don't shelf the game forever. The same applies to raids in other games, most people don't just do it once and then stop. Gathering is something else, once your skill is maxed you don't stop you use it to get you in game money or play an auction house or feed your guild. The point is that they are repetitive tasks once you have done them once, but its acceptable in other MMO's that people repeat PvP raids and gather ad nauseum so why not repeat all the quests in this game ad nauseum?

So to sumarise you agree then that the game barely has enough content to last most average people a month (assuming 96 hours is about right). You did say "months" originally, and I was just pointing out how little someone would have to play in order to go past the free month. :p

I disagree though that all themepark mmo's are simply single player rpgs with tacked on multiple person features but that is a bit too off topic to go into. :)

It depends if his 96 hours is actually accurate, and you assume people play an average of 6 hours a day.

If I base it on myself, I am halfway through the second zone with 26 hours /played in the last 7 days, so it will probably go to months for me if I was to subscribe.

I agree that most themepark games at release have nowhere near enough content, if someone wants a themepark full of content then they need to find one that is at least 2 years old or more.

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

Then don't play rush yourself, it's that simple. Some players don't have the luxury to play a mmorpg 12+ hours a day like some.

If players always worried about going into a new mmo, then why even put yourself into that situation, wait a year down the road.

On another note.

We have alot of hypocrites on this website saying they hate a certain mmo, but still play it anyways, just to spite it simply baffles me. I understand this is a website for sharing your thoughts, but I could find something better do to with my money than play a game I will just complain about.

• BigRock411BigRock411 Member Posts: 299

If your goal is to finish content as fast as possible, skipping as many side missions as possible, and winning the race to finished...yes i would be worried to.

All youll have left is pvp and hard mode dungeons just like every other themepark that you finished in a week.

Whats the diffrence this time around?  

Also you dont need to race, take your time enjoy yourself, get off the beaten path or try something out that seems like a waste of time ect.

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by BigRock411

If your goal is to finish content as fast as possible, skipping as many side missions as possible, and winning the race to finished...yes i would be worried to.

All youll have left is pvp and hard mode dungeons just like every other themepark that you finished in a week.

Whats the diffrence this time around?  

Also you dont need to race, take your time enjoy yourself, get off the beaten path or try something out that seems like a waste of time ect.

Your missing the point, they aren't talking about powergaming through the existing content, they are talking about completing it at a standard pace and it looks likely some such players will have completed the current content within around 2 months.

The big question is will Funcom produce regular updates, it's a massive undertaking and im convinced they don't have a chance in producing mothly updates, let alone quarterly content updates. There is nothing but the storyline going for this game currently, thats what players are enjoying most, the pvp is a side-show at best. People will be complainaing not about "reached max level and there is no content" but rather "finished the story...now what?" and expect those complaints to start running thick and fast after about 8-10 weeks.

If this was a F2P game, fine, but it's not, it has one of the highest of all subs fees and a cash shop to boot. FC need to keep people playing, otherwise it'll be lights out really quickly. This is why im all but convinced it'll be F2P after 6 months IF FC fail to produce good quality, regular content updates.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by Zinzan

Your missing the point, they aren't talking about powergaming through the existing content, they are talking about completing it at a standard pace and it looks likely some such players will have completed the current content within around 2 months.

So it is like every other mmo at launch.

Not sure why some think this is so significant.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

Originally posted by P4YB4CK

Then don't play rush yourself, it's that simple. Some players don't have the luxury to play a mmorpg 12+ hours a day like some.

If players always worried about going into a new mmo, then why even put yourself into that situation, wait a year down the road.

On another note.

We have alot of hypocrites on this website saying they hate a certain mmo, but still play it anyways, just to spite it simply baffles me. I understand this is a website for sharing your thoughts, but I could find something better do to with my money than play a game I will just complain about.

Just because people complain about a game, doesn't mean they don't love it (and certainly doesn't mean they hate it), often it's quite the reverse in fact, people complain because they do care about the game and are angered when it's failing on a point of interrest.

It's not hypocrasy, it's simply emotion.

• aSynchroaSynchro Member UncommonPosts: 194

How many millions Funcom spent on TSW ?

I'm pretty sure they expect a return on investment with the box sales only. The subs and the shop will be pure profit. Because they did exactly like Bioware, except they were intelligent enought not to burn +200 millions on it.

I kinda like the game (playing it casualy this summer while waiting for GW2) but TSW (and SWOTR) both look the same: descent solo/coop game with good story you only experience once and with just enought mmorpg features (a couple of battlegrounds, a general chat window, some dungeons...) to justify paying a sub.

It's a hyper-specialized themepark, a "CSOG"  (coop story-oriented game). I don't know why people expect this kind of game to last more than 3 months. 

Originally posted by Wickedjelly

So it is like every other mmo at launch.

Not sure why some think this is so significant.

Well it's generally significant for the same reasons, but TSW is a bit different.

Perhaps it's because the majority of TSW players seem to be generally content with the game as it is while "every other mmo at launch" is mainly people complaining about how crap x or y is.

Rather than the usual "fix x, nerf y" wishes, it seems to be more about keeping the content flowing and fresh as this is the main draw fo the game.

• UccisoreUccisore Member UncommonPosts: 96
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

It really doesn't matter if the OP's "friend" is right or wrong. What's important is if the general concensus agrees or disagrees with him.

Which will in large part be determined by people pointing out whether he's right or wrong...

There's way WAY more than 9 days of content in this game for anybody that has a job.  Or hell, other games to play. 

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

I hope it does. I have not bought it yet becasue i am waiting to see if I enjoy GW2 at release but if it does not hook me I wil be looking for a TSW box in September.

I miss DAoC

Well it's generally significant for the same reasons, but TSW is a bit different.

Perhaps it's because the majority of TSW players seem to be generally content with the game as it is while "every other mmo at launch" is mainly people complaining about how crap x or y is.

Rather than the usual "fix x, nerf y" wishes, it seems to be more about keeping the content flowing and fresh as this is the main draw fo the game.

Well, we'll have to wait and see. We'll find out soon enough whether they're going to be adding quality content on a regular basis.

I suppose it just boggles me that with every mmo to come out you get this same issue brought up as if it is something revolutionary or different. See this complaint every time with new games.

It would be awesome if they could update as often as Trion does with Rift. I'll be honest though that is probably wishful thinking.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by Blindchance

Point out any game with long lasting appeal which is not a multiplayer FPS, RTS or a sandbox. TSW is a theme park, enjoy as long its content last. Anyone who thinks they can produce content after release fast enough to keep this game going is delusional. Enjoy the game as long it lasts.

uhm... EQ1 for starters?

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Originally posted by Siveria

I am kinda worried about this game having any lasting appeal, a friend of mine has been playing since early access, and hes by no means a hardcore mmo player, and he's already pretty much run out of content to do. This is a really bad sign if you can run out of content in a week. No tto mention the pvp is fairly pointless (Why can't; devs make meaningful endgame or pvp anymore?). Doing the dungeons for gear is fine and all, but what use is there for it really after? the pvp serves no real purpose besides a small exp bonus or somesuch. Its also extremly unbalanced from what I hear, which I kinda expected with the games skill system it has. Not to mention all 3 factions don't have their own zones, so replay value of the game is honestly zilch.

I like tsw myself, but I don't know running from quest to quest is kinda getting old for me. When I heard abotu tsw and having 3 factions I was kinda praying it'd have daoc-style pvp, with a advancement system based on pvp granting new skills and passives, that have their own panels so you can use your normal 7 actives and 7 passives on top of the pvp stuff. As well as the pvp having some land control aspect to it, like daoc, perfect world, global agenda, aion etc. At least tsw didn't pull a world of warcraft and make pve earned gear worthless for pvp.

Anyway, overall TSW is not a bad game, but its going to have alot of issues keeping people after the first month I think. which is sad in a way because I feel the game has some real promise.

I admit some concern over that as well.  I am enjoying the game with my sword/blood templar.  I would also like to try a Dragon, however I think why?  except for the starting area the content is the same right?  All the skills are the same?  What would playing the dragon faction do that the templar doesn't?

The replayability IMO seems a bit light, which is just fine if the content keeps coming out.  Not that I'll likely ever get to end-game anyway :)   Just keep things varied enough and I'm happy.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
    Originally posted by VengeSunsoar

I admit some concern over that as well.  I am enjoying the game with my sword/blood templar.  I would also like to try a Dragon, however I think why?  except for the starting area the content is the same right?  All the skills are the same?  What would playing the dragon faction do that the templar doesn't?

The replayability IMO seems a bit light, which is just fine if the content keeps coming out.  Not that I'll likely ever get to end-game anyway :)   Just keep things varied enough and I'm happy.

I would imagine outside the cutscenes involving your faction they are exactly the same. There really isn't much replayability at all far as making alts. I mean you don't even really need an alt since you can in theory eventually get every ability in the game.

• jamigrejamigre Member UncommonPosts: 280

a friend of mine has been playing since early access, and hes by no means a hardcore mmo player, and he's already pretty much run out of content to do. 

Sounds pretty hard core to me, I've been in since pre release logged 30 hrs or so, and am only in the second zone, Savage Coast. Just sayin'

-------
    Check out my side project http://lfger.com/  - a mobile lfg tool for any game, any time. 
    -------

• lordpenquinlordpenquin Member Posts: 129

Apparently the day before the launch of this game,  40% of the value of Funcom's stock AND the CEO both left.   It sounds like rats leaving a sinking ship to me...

• cippalippacippalippa Member UncommonPosts: 108

There is a 7 year plan for further releases, and i don't know if you noticed but agartha (the main travelling system) have a tons of empty destinations...

...financial market is the main useless hindrance of this world for common people ...

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    Originally posted by lordpenquin

Apparently the day before the launch of this game,  40% of the value of Funcom's stock AND the CEO both left.   It sounds like rats leaving a sinking ship to me...

This game isnt doing bad for its budget used to create it. They can easily turn it into profit off subs alone . I highly doubt the ceo left because of the secret world or some other conspircy , its a game not a political figurehead. This game is not a bad game at all it lacks in some departments , but considering its really about the only modern mmorpg it has lasting value for customers whom wanted this horror genre sort of game. People that havent bought this game and play mmorpgs will eventually buy it just as its different. I think this game will have a decent future even if I dont find it all that great in terms of replayability. Heck what other game starts you off right after a tutorial in the middle of a zombie apocalypse?

• lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646

The CEO didn't left, he is still with the company on different position. And really as far as stocks are concerned i really don't want to get in it but falling in stock has more to do with economy then FC failing as a company. People who have no idea how stocks work shouldn't even bother bringing it up as some argument.

The game hasn't been out long enough nor are there any numbers available yet. So in other words the stock drop had nothing to do with TSW.

...and the CEO is still with the company.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

I am kinda worried about this game having any lasting appeal, a friend of mine has been playing since early access, and hes by no means a hardcore mmo player, and he's already pretty much run out of content to do. This is a really bad sign if you can run out of content in a week. No tto mention the pvp is fairly pointless (Why can't; devs make meaningful endgame or pvp anymore?). Doing the dungeons for gear is fine and all, but what use is there for it really after? the pvp serves no real purpose besides a small exp bonus or somesuch. Its also extremly unbalanced from what I hear, which I kinda expected with the games skill system it has. Not to mention all 3 factions don't have their own zones, so replay value of the game is honestly zilch.

I like tsw myself, but I don't know running from quest to quest is kinda getting old for me. When I heard abotu tsw and having 3 factions I was kinda praying it'd have daoc-style pvp, with a advancement system based on pvp granting new skills and passives, that have their own panels so you can use your normal 7 actives and 7 passives on top of the pvp stuff. As well as the pvp having some land control aspect to it, like daoc, perfect world, global agenda, aion etc. At least tsw didn't pull a world of warcraft and make pve earned gear worthless for pvp.

Anyway, overall TSW is not a bad game, but its going to have alot of issues keeping people after the first month I think. which is sad in a way because I feel the game has some real promise.

I suspect pretty much the same thing.  As cool as it is in many ways, it shares all the same content faults that SWTOR does; the skill system being the only exception.  And I see people unsubbing long before they buy the whole wheel.

Far as post launch content adding goes, Funcom has never been particularly exceptional when it comes to aggressive content delivery.  We'll have to see.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Originally posted by cronius77

This game isnt doing bad for its budget used to create it. They can easily turn it into profit off subs alone . I highly doubt the ceo left because of the secret world or some other conspircy , its a game not a political figurehead. This game is not a bad game at all it lacks in some departments , but considering its really about the only modern mmorpg it has lasting value for customers whom wanted this horror genre sort of game. People that havent bought this game and play mmorpgs will eventually buy it just as its different. I think this game will have a decent future even if I dont find it all that great in terms of replayability. Heck what other game starts you off right after a tutorial in the middle of a zombie apocalypse?

Indeedy... there's so many factors outside the game itself that determine its level of success.  It's why some perfectly decent games fall on their face while other not so decent ones stay afloat.  See Tabula Rasa vs. anything done by Cryptic post CoX...

If they built the game in a way that makes it easy to build content, while still being cheap to operate, then it may be around a while.  No matter what though, I expect it will be F2P at some point.  That's just where the genre is headed.