Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Chat problems

VutarVutar BaghdadPosts: 773Member Uncommon

This is going to destroy this game if they don't fix it soon. I have never seen this level of issues in an MMO. Not being able to communicate with those in your group is ridiculous. I was sure this was going to be fixed today with the down time they had but it wasn't. In fact, it is almost worse than it was yesterday for me.

Comments

• DJJazzyDJJazzy louisville, COPosts: 2,053Member

the problem is that it seems so random when it occurs

but yeah, it really is a game breaking bug that they need to fix before any other issue at the moment.

• cyress8cyress8 Croatia, VTPosts: 832Member

Yep, they really need to fix this.  Became worse after this morning maintence.

BOOYAKA!

• EvilGeekEvilGeek londonPosts: 1,227Member Uncommon

I'm not impressed with the way they have dragged their feet with this one. Getting very annoying having to set up the cabal tab every time any of us zone anywhere. Not game destroying but very, very annoying.

• vindrowvindrow Los Angeles, CAPosts: 14Member

It is completely rediculous that they haven't fixed this yet....it's almost like they don't think its that big of a problem.

This is something that should have had an emergency patch when it started happening.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko RotterdamPosts: 3,845Member Uncommon

You've never seen chat-related issues in an MMO in the first week after launch ?

Yes, it's a very irritating issue. If they don't fix it in the next 2 weeks, it will have a serious impact on the game. Luckily there's a massive patch being tested right now on the Testlive server, which should hopefully sort out a lot of issues in the next day or two.

• VutarVutar BaghdadPosts: 773Member Uncommon

The worst part about it is the silence from Funcom. Once in awhile I see a mod on the tech forum post some "try this" tips or "workarounds" in one of the many threads complaining about chat, but I have not seen anything substantial from the devs. 

• WorstluckWorstluck the valley, CAPosts: 1,269Member

I don't think this can wait to be included in a large patch that is being tested on testlive.  This needs to be hotfixed early next week by itself.  It's frustrating to say the least.  I get dropped from the server sometimes (during peak times) and when I reconnect I have lost access to most channels.  Sometimes they come back after I restart the client, other times they stay gone for hours. 

• heartlessheartless Brooklyn, NYPosts: 4,993Member
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

You've never seen chat-related issues in an MMO in the first week after launch ?

Yes, it's a very irritating issue. If they don't fix it in the next 2 weeks, it will have a serious impact on the game. Luckily there's a massive patch being tested right now on the Testlive server, which should hopefully sort out a lot of issues in the next day or two.

Actually I have not seen any chat-related issues in an MMO in the first week after launch.

Correct me if I'm wrong but there were chat issues during the first BWE, which took place on May 11th, so it's not like this is a new bug. How do you not fix an issue that has been around for about 2 months? Moreover, how do you launch a game knowing that this issue is not fixed?

• vindrowvindrow Los Angeles, CAPosts: 14Member

Honestly, no I haven't.

All the MMO's that I have played have never had chat problems in the 1st week, month or year.

What makes this chat problem even worse is that it has been around since beta and they still haven't done anything about it.

They are closing chat related threads on the forum. One mod responded with..

"Y'all need to chill cause my Awesome Doom Sword is looking for troll blood again, and I see lots of trolls in this thread already.

I'll be keeping an eye out on y'all... don't make me slice y'all up into tiny pieces now...

- Harlin "

The seem to be oblivious to how upset some people are about this.

• azrielmackayazrielmackay Auburn, GAPosts: 4Member

You sure that is a mod?  Name sure doesn't look familiar to me...

Originally posted by azrielmackay

You sure that is a mod?  Name sure doesn't look familiar to me...

I don't visit the official forums much unless there is big issue but it says moderator below their name.

Edit: I had spelled it wrong also. It is Harlin, not Harlan.

• KostKost Vancouver, BCPosts: 1,975Member

DDO had chat problems for the first few months after launch, so did LOTRO.

"You have been disconnected from the Chat Server", and then left to hang with no communication until the server re-established your connection hopefully a few minutes later, if you were lucky.

These are the two the spring to mind off the top of my head, but I know for a fact that other games have had chat issues early after launch as well. I just can't recall any others at this time.

It's funny how quickly people forget past issues with other games when attempting to criticize a different game for the same issues. Selective memory indeed!

Originally posted by Kost

"You have been disconnected from the Chat Server", and then left to hang with no communication until the server re-established your connection hopefully a few minutes later, if you were lucky.

These are the two the spring to mind off the top of my head, but I know for a fact that other games have had chat issues early after launch as well. I just can't recall any others at this time.

It's funny how quickly people forget past issues with other games when attempting to criticize a different game for the same issues. Selective memory indeed!

Why does this matter what other games do? Why should it be acceptable for chat not to work in a MMO released in 2012 becuase some games in the past had the same issue?

• PainlezzPainlezz Laguna Hills, CAPosts: 620Member Uncommon

Funny thing is, I posted a thread listing this bug and others.  And I got attacked and trolled by Failcom lovers saying how this game is fine and they never have any of these issues...

Quests are bugged

Chat is bugged

Tooltips are bugged

Three very important things in an MMO list above are all buggy and were buggy in beta.  There is NO excuse to have bugs make it into release when they are well known during beta. 

Buggy quests are bound to spring up.  Chat should have been rock solid.  This game has NO other way to interact with players.  No LFG tool, no LFG interface.  You're only option to play and communicate with other players is the buggy chat interface.

Buggy tooltips are a whole different problem.  This game has some pretty complex synergy between skills and knowing details about how they work and will interact is important.  Having to log out completely to fix it constantly is very annoying.

I run solid state drives with overlcocked i7, a fast watercooled video card, and 16 gigs of ram...  And the load times on this game are pretty bad.  All the Crysis games load faster for me and i'm pretty sure have a lot more details and graphics to handle....

• BlackbrrdBlackbrrd KongsbergPosts: 811Member

Just checked the testlive forums and there are some chat related bug fixes there, so they are certainly working on it. It's probably an issue that has turned up post-launch since I didn't notice it at all during closed beta or in the closed beta forums. It's not like they have looked at people unable to use chat and then ignored it. ;)

Btw, I have never had the issue myself, so it might be a very small minority having this issue, making it hard to find and fix the bug.

• TerronteTerronte Cedar Rapids, IAPosts: 321Member

Yarg, I've had 0 chat for an hour or so =/ Relogged, didn't come back. Prior to that chat was going to randomly wrong areas. i was in fusang getting stuff from blue mountain and egypt... =/

There are bugs that are annoying (quests.) and bugs that are game-breaking (no chat).

Here's the kicker for me. The templars on Cerberus I'm sure are guilded and on comms. The illuminati only had in game chat. (many aren't guilded). We were in the lead in Fusang...lose a weeks worth of work cuz of thiss...and I'll....complain?

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko RotterdamPosts: 3,845Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Vutar

Why does this matter what other games do? Why should it be acceptable for chat not to work in a MMO released in 2012 becuase some games in the past had the same issue?

Nobody said anything about it being "acceptable". The fact that it HAS happened in a few MMO's in the past points to the fact that it is not an unusual problem. This might mean that ingame chat is particularly prone to problems of some type.

If MMO's have had similar problems in the past, it probably means that the particular area of tech is tricky. Just because it's "2012" doesn't necessarily mean that it's not still tricky.

It's irritating, but not game-breaking. It's not as if chat doesn't work at all, it just means that you have to reconnect to some channels after zoning.

• KanethKaneth Posts: 1,930Member Uncommon

If this is true, they better fix this quick. Part of the reason why Asheron's Call 2 died as quickly as it did was because of the MS Gun chat servers. We would go days without having the ability to chat, and this was well before services such as teamspeak or mumble were widely available.

Chat related issues will cause drops in subs in ANY mmo.

Nobody said anything about it being "acceptable". The fact that it HAS happened in a few MMO's in the past points to the fact that it is not an unusual problem. This might mean that ingame chat is particularly prone to problems of some type.

If MMO's have had similar problems in the past, it probably means that the particular area of tech is tricky. Just because it's "2012" doesn't necessarily mean that it's not still tricky.

It's irritating, but not game-breaking. It's not as if chat doesn't work at all, it just means that you have to reconnect to some channels after zoning.

Yes it is game-breaking and no I have never seen a chat problem to this level. The very fact that you are here downplaying the issue tells me that you do expect people to "accept it."

Quest bugs you could make a case for it not being game breaking, chat you cannot.

• cyranacyrana MybusinessPosts: 180Member Uncommon

Originally posted by Kost DDO had chat problems for the first few months after launch, so did LOTRO. "You have been disconnected from the Chat Server", and then left to hang with no communication until the server re-established your connection hopefully a few minutes later, if you were lucky. These are the two the spring to mind off the top of my head, but I know for a fact that other games have had chat issues early after launch as well. I just can't recall any others at this time. It's funny how quickly people forget past issues with other games when attempting to criticize a different game for the same issues. Selective memory indeed!  

It is game breaking for me. I can't use group, cabal, or send tells to people... They work from time to time, but not very often.

Ningen wa ningen da.
    ----
    http://twitter.com/Ciovala

• WorstluckWorstluck the valley, CAPosts: 1,269Member

Just got an in-game server message with something like "We are aware of the chat issues and are working on a solution.  Thank you for your patience".

I hope they can fix it soon.  A good portion of my game time yesterday was rather silent :(

• SlickShoesSlickShoes EdinburghPosts: 1,037Member Uncommon

This seems to have got worse since the downtime today, I can read my guild chat but I don't think people are seeing what I say or anyone else, people are in guild chat just asking if anyone is there haha.

Originally posted by Worstluck

Just got an in-game server message with something like "We are aware of the chat issues and are working on a solution.  Thank you for your patience".

I hope they can fix it soon.  A good portion of my game time yesterday was rather silent :(

I was just coming to post this.  At least they finally broke their silence about it.

• pierthpierth San Antonio, TXPosts: 1,503Member

The outrage! It's like every other MMO released bug-free and with all content readied. It's easy to say "Just because other MMOs were released before they were ready doesn't mean TSW should have been!" ... except- by pre-ordering and buying games on release that are known to have these issues players are telling MMO publishers and developers that we're totally okay with that.

This discussion has been closed.