Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Curiosity, a ftp MMO with a $50,000 cash shop item

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/07/06/peter-molyneuxs-curiosity-coming-in-august

http://www.22cans.com/

Peter Molyneux is a former Lion's Head Studio employee, left Microsoft to do his own thing, and that thing happens to be a game called Curiosity.

All the players who log into this "mmo" chip at a black block until someone gets to the middle.

Okay I'm sure you guys can find out more about the game but what I want to discuss is...

"ranging from a pickaxe for 50 cents up to a diamond pickaxe for $50,000"

Is the point of the project to see if people will pay? Do you think people will pay?

I'll play the game just because I truly am curious, but I think this might be an experiment to see just how hopeless we are as consumers.

a yo ho ho

Comments

• GrahorGrahor Member Posts: 828

Peter Molyneux is an arrogant a$$..le who had a couple of good ideas through his life.

That's nothing to be ashamed of. Couple of good ideas is at least two more good ideas than an average game designer has through his whole life. He certainly is entitled to some arrogance.

This particular experiment is "how people can become curious about something vague and formless and how much their curiosity will force them to pay."

That's not a baseless experiment: a lot of people noticed that selling closed boxes in a cash shop is more profitable than selling items from those boxes. Curiosity just can't help but kill the cat.

He will not get rich from it, but he doesn't need to - he is quite well off as it is already, and he has a name enough to pull off such a gig.

• 3-4thElf3-4thElf Member Posts: 489

Good point about it not being a baseless experiment.

What made me even think to pose this to the other gamers here is the fact that I heard people who I know are not normally into gaming beyond Farmville talking about Peter Molyneux. Which I suspect is the whole notion behind the project. To see if the curiosity can go beyond those of us who are into gaming news.

a yo ho ho

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

The item at the center is a note that says there used to be an item here, but the $50,000 diamond pickaxe let you take the item out without having to break open the block first, so the first guy who bought one took the item and left this note.

• huntardhuntard Member Posts: 133

Long as there are services folks are willing to pay for, RMT will never end and folks will always continue to pay (me being one of them!)

I personally hope the prize is a classic NES 8-bit style "Thank you for playing" screen myself.

Of course I never ask for much.

a yo ho ho

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Every time I see the text "FTP", I think "File Transfer Protocol", not "Free To Play".

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Originally posted by lizardbones

Every time I see the text "FTP", I think "File Transfer Protocol", not "Free To Play".

I could've used a 2, but I feel that's for those yunguns.

a yo ho ho

• atziluthatziluth Member UncommonPosts: 1,190

I can break blocks in minecraft for free. Why in the world would I compete against a 999,999 other people spending cash on an item for something that is ADVERTISED as being life changing. A pile of dog crap in a box can be life changing, does not mean I want to spend $50,000 for a chance to open it. 

$50,000 or $.50 all but one person will have wasted their money. This is an expiriment in stupidity.

-Atziluth-

- Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.