Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Two keys? Screwed up by Funcom... or my retalier... or both?

Comments

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    Originally posted by simmihi
    Originally posted by Derros

Curious who did you order it from?  The only 2 approved digital retailers I know of are Origin and Funcom directly.

A local retailer, who probably buys the games from Amazon and sells them with a profit in my country. It is not always easy to buy games in my country. I would have bought it from Funcom directly if they would accept my credit card, but they do not accept Visa Electron (Blizzard, Trion, SoE, NCSoft don't seem to have a problem with it)

Well the retailer probably didnt understand that there was a pre-order code, and a retail code.  Not sure why, all MMOs are like that, Rift, WoW, AoC, Tera, ect.

• simmihisimmihi Member UncommonPosts: 709

Curious who did you order it from?  The only 2 approved digital retailers I know of are Origin and Funcom directly.

A local retailer, who probably buys the games from Amazon and sells them with a profit in my country. It is not always easy to buy games in my country. I would have bought it from Funcom directly if they would accept my credit card, but they do not accept Visa Electron (Blizzard, Trion, SoE, NCSoft don't seem to have a problem with it)

Well the retailer probably didnt understand that there was a pre-order code, and a retail code.  Not sure why, all MMOs are like that, Rift, WoW, AoC, Tera, ect.

Yea probably, who knows... thanks mate, you've been helpful (and many of you here), i'm gonna be more careful in the future...

• GargolaGargola Member Posts: 356

If your retailer "threw" your box away, they screwed you, cause that's were the game key is.

Preorder keys were only valid till now, FC had a 3 day grace period.  This is standard procedure for MMO's.

This is an issue with your retailer, if they do the "buy thru Amazon and then reseel them" they  probably don't pay quick delivery, so they are more than likely still to get any physical copy.

In any case it's on your retailer if you don't receive the key your game comes with.

• BoneflowerBoneflower Member Posts: 91

Dude, it's very simple. You got scammed by this "retailer". They are the only ones responsible (other than yourself for using them), and it is utterly unreasonable to expect Funcom to shoulder the responsibility for a scam you fell for from some company Funcom has no relationship to. 

Either take it to the next level with this "retailer" you refuse to name, or just use it as a learning experience and move on. Your choice. But in no way is Funcom responsible for the scam you got caught in. 

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

It's perfectly logical to have a pre-order and retail key. Pre-orders can be cancelled, which would mean the player could register a pre-order key, cancel the box purchase and then simply pay the monthly sub, thus never actually buying the game. Or the player could receive his box copy, and then resell it on e-bay, unopened, thereby getting a "refund" of the purchase price.

The only reliable way for a developer to ensure that no scams are taking place is to require the retail key (in the game box) as proof of purchase.

I bought my copy from Amazon, instantly received a pre-order key and was playing in Early Access. Yesterday my box arrived from Amazon, and I registered my retail key. No problems.

If you try and save a few pennies by purchasing via some random internet site that's offering great prices, there's always risk involved.

Originally posted by Gargola

If your retailer "threw" your box away, they screwed you, cause that's were the game key is.

Preorder keys were only valid till now, FC had a 3 day grace period.  This is standard procedure for MMO's.

This is an issue with your retailer, if they do the "buy thru Amazon and then reseel them" they  probably don't pay quick delivery, so they are more than likely still to get any physical copy.

In any case it's on your retailer if you don't receive the key your game comes with.

Ok, i understand that. I did not know it was "standard procedure" as i've never encountered it. Now probably i threw away 50 bucks. Would it have been nice to warn me "hey dude, you need 2 keys, one pre-order one retail"? I think it would have been. Thanks for your reply.

• SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743

Strange thing is that I heard Visa Electron works with paypal and the last time I checked Funcom does accept paypal as a form of payment.

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

Originally posted by SpottyGekko

It's perfectly logical to have a pre-order and retail key. Pre-orders can be cancelled, which would mean the player could register a pre-order key, cancel the box purchase and then simply pay the monthly sub, thus never actually buying the game. Or the player could receive his box copy, and then resell it on e-bay, unopened, thereby getting a "refund" of the purchase price.

The only reliable way for a developer to ensure that no scams are taking place is to require the retail key (in the game box) as proof of purchase.

I bought my copy from Amazon, instantly received a pre-order key and was playing in Early Access. Yesterday my box arrived from Amazon, and I registered my retail key. No problems.

If you try and save a few pennies by purchasing via some random internet site that's offering great prices, there's always risk involved.

I am not trying to save a few pennies. I would have bought from Funcom directly if they would accept my darn credit card, all my other games do accept it. I disagree about being the only way a dev can ensure of payment. If i cancel payment, the retailer knows, contacts the producer and that key is banned, easy as that. Transferring all the procedure on the player is a cheap method to wash your hands imo.

• DoomedfoxDoomedfox Member UncommonPosts: 679

P.S. Sorry guys for the rage, and really THANKS for all your replies. I'll probably eat this one (and never get another Funcom product ever). Sorry again, needed a place to blow steam...

If you suspect them to buy it from Amazon and sell for a profit while still managing to sell it to you cheaper than Funcom does than why did you not just order a copy from Amazon too?

You would have your code saved even more money and would not blame Funcom for a mistake your retailer did.

Originally posted by Searias

Strange thing is that I heard Visa Electron works with paypal and the last time I checked Funcom does accept paypal as a form of payment.

I had 20 days of "pending" then "failed". I could use PayPal for many things, even if it's not my preffered method of payment.

My CC is good, Blizzard takes it, Trion takes it, NCSOFT takes it, SoE takes it. I'm gonna let this game go, even if i love the idea. Servers in US, terrible connection for me, screwed over 50 bucks (my fault also here, i was not aware of "common procedure" not written anywhere lol), cannot pay even if i want to... Yes i do not live in a "top-tier" country but that should not make me a second grade person.

Originally posted by Doomedfox

P.S. Sorry guys for the rage, and really THANKS for all your replies. I'll probably eat this one (and never get another Funcom product ever). Sorry again, needed a place to blow steam...

If you suspect them to buy it from Amazon and sell for a profit while still managing to sell it to you cheaper than Funcom does than why did you not just order a copy from Amazon too?

You would have your code saved even more money and would not blame Funcom for a mistake your retailer did.

Because i had no problems with the respective retailer before. I suspect that they buy their games somehow from Amazon US, in large packs. I'm European, i can try to buy the game from Amazon UK, and even then, only a few deliver in my country and the price for one delivery is half the price of the game. I'm sorry for not being able to control my place of birth.

And this whole situation would not have risen if the company would accept my credit card for payment. I would have chosen the official site to buy my game, as i always did (probably why i never had any pre-order codes problem), And yea, i blame Funcom for that, Why is my CC good for Blizzard, SoE, Trion, NCSOFT and not for Funcom?

• KooshdinKooshdin Member Posts: 217

CHECK THIS OUT FOR A LAUGH !!!!

I bought the preorder box from Blockbusters in my town in UK on the 19th of June. I paid £25 for it thinking it was all id have to pay

to get in early access and into the game. I thought the box I bought was access to the digital version of Secret World because it was so thin.

around the 29th of June, i noticed on the box it had the dvd symbol on the top left of the box, and also on the right it said game not included. I was panacking to say the least...

Anyway live chat people told me i had 30 days subscription so i didnt worry.

I decided on the 3rd of July on release date if I couldnt log in, then Id know it was a preorder box.

Anyway i was able to  play on the 3rd so presumed the live chat people were correct. So I decided to spend my money I had on the initiate pack, for the faction jackets, and also I bought 1200 points. I got all the items in my account and i was happy...

Roll on a few days after release....

Today 6th of July, im in a dungeon quest with 5 people and the tank decideds to give up after only dying twice on the last boss, which couldnt be helped as we were trying to work out what was going on, anyway everyone started leaving so i logged out the game too.. I went to my emails and there was a message by Funcom telling me my preorder had finished and I had to get a retail box and the key inside to continue !!!!

As of Yesterday, I have no more money till 17th of July, so in theory before I can pay blockbuster the £15 to get the retail box, what do i have to do ?  I have to sell stuff to pay for retail copy of secret world somehow...

I stripped my pc hard drives out of the computer and formatted them all, and went down to CEX store to get cash for my hard drives lol Luckily im getting a decent price for my very old sata drives, and my D drive 500gb hard drive and ive managed to keep a hold of my SSD drive for now.

I had to sell my frigging spare hard drives in order for me to continue playing this game. I dont want to wait till 17th to play cause by that time no one will be in my area in the game !!!

Really annoying experience I had today :(

Basically take this as advise as well , do not trust a dam word that the live chat people tell you, three times they told me i was not to worry i had 30 days time with my preorder box I paid £25 for. Luckily im getting the retail box either tomorrow or Sunday. But the fact remains funcoms live chat people told me a pack of lies and i decided to spend the rest of my cash on ingame clothing trusting them that iwas playing on my 30 days because live chat told me it as what I had, and I was playing the game after release date. Why not spend the last of your money on ingame items, i mean im still playing after the 3rd, and also live chat told me i had 30 days to play. 

What a really rubbish day. Why also is preorder finishing on the 6th and not the 3rd ? release started on the 3rd so why not stop preorders then, so we know if weve bought the preorder box or not instead of making us believe we actually are getting 30 days according to the funcom live chat staff. I have already set up my monthly subscription too with my secret world account, am i going to miss out on 2 days of my 30 days gaming in secret world, because I have to wait for my retail copy toi arrive at blockbusters???

Anyway im ok about it even though frustrated to hell that i was right all along about my fears that sonething wasnt right !

It was a down right lie from funcoms live support people to tell me id got 30 days with my preorder box which they knew id bought in a store.  They knew the preorder boxes they were sending to retails stores surely ?

It has cost me my back up 500gb hard drive so i can continue playing from tomorrow or Sunday.

The live chat also told me another lie, they told me my preorder box had two keys in it, thats a lie from someone who has a job with funcom as a live chat assistant. All they are doing is making things up without knowing anything about the secret world business plan . Why employ people who dont have a clue about mmos and the mmoin question  that they are meant to be doing live support for ?? What are people doing manning funcoms live chat when they havent got a clue of Secret worlds business model ????

Down right rediculous !!!

Has anyone else noticed if you login to your account on secret world website, sometimes anarchy online account page shows up as your secret world account lol

I seem to remember with AOC at the start there was heaps of people angry at the bugs and the subscription page also as it is in secret world too, isnt available yet so you cant even see when your first month is up , well i can tell you i was raving earlier on at the blatant lies from the live chat probably to just get me to go away. Rediculous !!

• NephrinnNephrinn Member Posts: 2

Just got my 2nd key via Gamerkeys and they said Funcom delayed sending them the keys.

Also, when I contacted Funcom about whether or not I would need a 2nd key, their response was:

"It does appear to be a preorder key, and you should be all set for when the game launches. There shouldn't be anything else that you need to do between now and then, but if you have any problems feel free to email back and we'll do anything we can to assist you with your problems."

We were misled into thinking a pre-order key = a retail key. I can't believe Funcom didn't have this crap sorted out BEFORE release.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by Nephrinn

Just got my 2nd key via Gamerkeys and they said Funcom delayed sending them the keys.

Also, when I contacted Funcom about whether or not I would need a 2nd key, their response was:

"It does appear to be a preorder key, and you should be all set for when the game launches. There shouldn't be anything else that you need to do between now and then, but if you have any problems feel free to email back and we'll do anything we can to assist you with your problems."

We were misled into thinking a pre-order key = a retail key. I can't believe Funcom didn't have this crap sorted out BEFORE release.

When I purchased AoC I found the process to be a little obtuse. I didn't lose anything or feel ripped off in any way, but I definately felt they could have made things a little more easy to understand.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

Because i had no problems with the respective retailer before. I suspect that they buy their games somehow from Amazon US, in large packs. I'm European, i can try to buy the game from Amazon UK, and even then, only a few deliver in my country and the price for one delivery is half the price of the game. I'm sorry for not being able to control my place of birth.

And this whole situation would not have risen if the company would accept my credit card for payment. I would have chosen the official site to buy my game, as i always did (probably why i never had any pre-order codes problem), And yea, i blame Funcom for that, Why is my CC good for Blizzard, SoE, Trion, NCSOFT and not for Funcom?

Oh i see well that makes sense i guess....i too lived long time in Europe before i moved to America.....but and i am really interested in how its Funcoms fault now anyway but since you can get a download version from Amazon too well how exactly was it Funcoms fault  that you decided to order over a questionable retailer instead of using a better quality service?

Face it you say your retailer did iognore you for 1 day now already its obvious whats going on and its also obvious that your hate towards Funcom is unjustified (even tho i do understand why you are unhappy)

Just buy a copy from Amazon now use the key and be done with the stress its only around 40$ make sure you get a chargeback from the retailer and try to enjoy the game.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

I am not trying to save a few pennies. I would have bought from Funcom directly if they would accept my darn credit card, all my other games do accept it. I disagree about being the only way a dev can ensure of payment. If i cancel payment, the retailer knows, contacts the producer and that key is banned, easy as that. Transferring all the procedure on the player is a cheap method to wash your hands imo.

Insisting on a retail key IS the only reliable method.

Unfortunately, the world is full of dishonest people. Some retailers would try to sell the pre-order key and the box separately,  and make a 100% profit on the deal. Some players would use a pre-order key to get ingame and then cancel the purchase.

The use of 2 keys is not unique to Funcom. It's common practice for MMO's, because MMO's usually have a "early access" deal, whereas single-player games don't.

Oh i see well that makes sense i guess....i too lived long time in Europe before i moved to America.....but and i am really interested in how its Funcoms fault now anyway but since you can get a download version from Amazon too well how exactly was it Funcoms fault  that you decided to order over a questionable retailer instead of using a better quality service?

Face it you say your retailer did iognore you for 1 day now already its obvious whats going on and its also obvious that your hate towards Funcom is unjustified (even tho i do understand why you are unhappy)

Just buy a copy from Amazon now use the key and be done with the stress its only around 40$ make sure you get a chargeback from the retailer and try to enjoy the game.

Cannot get a chargeback, my bank said in a first instance that it's too late but if i really want it they can start a procedure etc etc well it sounded it might gonna cost me more than 50 bucks.

I cannot buy from Amazon US, i did not find an Amazon UK retailer who sold the online product also to my country at the time of my pre-order. At the same time, this local retailer (which i had no problems with until now) had the game at Amazon US pre-order price + 20%

I blame Funcom for not accepting my card, if i could pay online on their website, none of this would have happened. If it was "common practice" that my card was usually not good in MMO's i'd understand, but i could pay for WoW, Rift, Vanguard, Aion just fine. I would have paid 60 bucks buying from the official website, just to be sure i have the "right" product and there are no problems. I also blame Funcom for not making it clear even for me (who is not accustomed with this two-keys practice, always bought from the official site, pre-order or not, every time i've got ONE key) that i'll need 2 keys, beware when you buy from a retailer etc. That's all.

Late Edit:

My account says "Account Type - Normal". Would it have been so hard to say "Account Type - Pre-order, please register the product key when you receive the box"? That would have ringed a bell. I had no clue that my account was not good. Any little clue would make me think and contact my retailer after i've registered the pre-order key, if no answer - cancel payment. There's a first time for everyone to encounter something, it was my first time i've pre-ordered from another site than the official one.

I'm asking people which succesfully registered the product key, did your account page changed? I have no idea but i could bet a QL5 blue sword that it did not. That is not normal.

Cannot get a chargeback, my bank said in a first instance that it's too late but if i really want it they can start a procedure etc etc well it sounded it might gonna cost me more than 50 bucks.

I cannot buy from Amazon US, i did not find an Amazon UK retailer who sold the online product also to my country at the time of my pre-order. At the same time, this local retailer (which i had no problems with until now) had the game at Amazon US pre-order price + 20%

I blame Funcom for not accepting my card, if i could pay online on their website, none of this would have happened. If it was "common practice" that my card was usually not good in MMO's i'd understand, but i could pay for WoW, Rift, Vanguard, Aion just fine. I would have paid 60 bucks buying from the official website, just to be sure i have the "right" product and there are no problems. I also blame Funcom for not making it clear even for me (who is not accustomed with this two-keys practice, always bought from the official site, pre-order or not, every time i've got ONE key) that i'll need 2 keys, beware when you buy from a retailer etc. That's all.

Late Edit:

My account says "Account Type - Normal". Would it have been so hard to say "Account Type - Pre-order, please register the product key when you receive the box"? I had no clue that my account was not good. Any little clue would make me think and contact my retailer after i've registered the pre-order key, if no answer - cancel payment. There's a first time for everyone to encounter something, it was my first time i've pre-ordered from another site than the official one.

I'm asking people which succesfully registered the product key, did your account page changed? I have no idea but i could bet a QL5 blue sword that it did not. That is not normal.

Hmmm that really sucks i guess.

I still order stuff from Amazon.de even tho i am in America now so i just assumed it would work the other way around as well but guess not dunno why but if you say you cant it must have its reasons.

I can see why you think Funcom should accept your CC if all other MMO companys do too.(Some posters here said they were able to use the method you were not able to tho)

However i do not think Funcom has to make a remark on the 2 key iussue it more should be mentioned by the retailer you buy from and any serious retailer prolly would let you know.

Could you have gotten it over Origin with your payment mehtod?

If so thats prolly what you shoould have done after all distribution of the game was the sole reason Funcom partnered up with EA to begin with.

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

If it's a local retailer why don't you just go their store in person?

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

I bought through intkeys after seeing the thread about it being 35 bucks. I wasn't going to buy it at all after beta testing it, but for 35 with the free month I said why not try again since I love the concept on paper and am a big fan of Ragnor and paranormal, poe and lovecraft, etc...  I really want to like the game, but that's another story.

So I bought it on the cheap. the night before launch. I got my preorder key and applied it, got my preorder items in game from the shop and have been playing ever since. After reading this thread I fully expect to be shutdown anytime now, but so far so good, I am in game right now playing.

i did set up a sub with a CC on my account page, so maybe that's why?  I dont know... but so far so good with only a single preorder key.

Hmmm that really sucks i guess.

I still order stuff from Amazon.de even tho i am in America now so i just assumed it would work the other way around as well but guess not dunno why but if you say you cant it must have its reasons.

I can see why you think Funcom should accept your CC if all other MMO companys do too.(Some posters here said they were able to use the method you were not able to tho)

However i do not think Funcom has to make a remark on the 2 key iussue it more should be mentioned by the retailer you buy from and any serious retailer prolly would let you know.

Could you have gotten it over Origin with your payment mehtod?

If so thats prolly what you shoould have done after all distribution of the game was the sole reason Funcom partnered up with EA to begin with.

Yes, that i agree, i should have bought it from Origin. I have no idea if they accept my card (can't see why they would not tho). Origin did not cross my mind at the time. First i saw that i cannot buy from Funcom using my card, then it was the 20 day pending PayPal thing, then i was thinking of Amazon uk, did not find any retailer at the time delivering pre-orders to my Eastern European country and when i found the game at this local retailer (which again, i had no problems with before, ordered quite a few games from them) i was happy enough with this solution. Could not see it coming, really. Was used to "you pay, you get a key, if the key works it's all fine, if it does not work, you can cancel the payment" Did not expect the two-key thing, and there were zero clues from Funcom that it'll need 2 keys. Yes the retailer should have told me but one of the arguments above is that they use 2 keys also to protect against dishonest retailers (otherwise it's no need for 2 keys - chargeback = ban). I think it would do them good to protect the players from  dishonest retailers also.

Originally posted by rygard49

If it's a local retailer why don't you just go their store in person?

Online retailer, local as in the same country, 4 hours and 40 bucks by train from my place.

btw, once I entered my preorder key and it updated, I set up a subscription and my account reflected that with this info.

Did you guys set up your monthly sub info yet? Maybe that's why this is happening. Dont know.

2012-08-03 04:51:11
    Originally posted by Mithrandolir

btw, once I entered my preorder key and it updated, I set up a subscription and my account reflected that with this info.

Did you guys set up your monthly sub info yet? Maybe that's why this is happening. Dont know.

2012-08-03 04:51:11

Well i cannot do that. I cannot pay the subscription. They do not accept my CC and they reject my PayPal. My plan was to play for the free month then see, maybe they'll sell game time on Origin or they'll add support for my CC or if nothing works to ask a foreign friend to sub for me, and to pay him back when we meet, or online pay something with the same value for him. I'm on holidays anyway and i've got a full month to enjoy as much of it as possible (my character is in the 7th zone now).

Was ready to go through all that trouble only because i LOVE the game. But i don't feel like i want to go through complicated payment shiz again, and i'm not in the mood of paying them one more cent at this moment.

the online retailer I bought from specifically advertised that the preorder key would convert automatically to a full retail key, which it did.

But I definitely had to set up my sub (it doesn't charge you yet, just sets it up for charging 30 days from now) in order to carry on post launch.