Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Two keys? Screwed up by Funcom... or my retalier... or both?

simmihisimmihi Member UncommonPosts: 709

I am a big fan of the game. I've pre-ordered from an on-line retailer (it was cheaper, i was not able to buy directly from Funcom anyways because they did not accept the kind of credit card i own - which works in any other games)

Now they send me an e-mail to enter the product key and that the key i've received was a pre-order key and it's not good anymore.

What the heck is that? Two keys? How could i knew? I've tried to contact my retailer, they did not answer to e-mail, phone or any other form of contact i've tried. Funcom says to take it out with them. Probably i've been screwed up by those but now it's too late, i called my bank and i cannot cancel that payment to them anymore.

DEAR FUNCOM, I KNOW YOU ARE READING THESE BOARDS

This is the most idiotic thing you could have done. How could anyone know that there are TWO!!!! keys, one pre-order, one retail? Why did you not announce in CAPS on your pre-order page that if someone preorders from an online retalier (which sends the key through e-mail) to be sure to ask for TWO keys???

Was the game doing "THAT" good so you needed to lose a few players? No, i will NOT buy your game again, i will not buy ANY other Funcom game and i will go with this story in press and wherever i have the possibility to spread it. In my 10 years of successful online gaming i have never encountered a problem like this, EVER.

Sorry for the rage.

Comments

• freegamesfreegames Member UncommonPosts: 240

Sometimes the preorder codes are for pre-order beta only and you will need a new retail one to play once it is released.

If you ordered a box copy the code should come with the box of kittens.

Although if it was a digital copy only from another company then I would not trust it too much.

• simmihisimmihi Member UncommonPosts: 709
    Originally posted by freegames

Sometimes the preorder codes are for pre-order beta only and you will need a new retail one to play once it is released.

I have ordered online, i have received a key. I did not order a box. I've only ordered only one game as a box, everything else was online. Unfortunately Funcom did not accept Visa Electron and i HAD TO buy from other sources. Every time i've bought a game online, i've received one code, which was good for pre-order and to play past that point. What's the point of 2 keys. I don't understand.

In the end, I've paid 50 bucks for 8 days of play. Even if the problem solves in the end (which i strongly doubt it will) i'll lose game time.

Thank you for your reply anyway.

• BullseyeArc1BullseyeArc1 Member UncommonPosts: 410
    Originally posted by simmihi

I have ordered online, i have received a key. I did not order a box. I've only ordered one game as a box. Every time i've received one code, online, which was good. What's the point of 2 keys. I don't understand.

Did you go to the web site and use the key to make a new account?    What I did was go to thier web site then entered the key to make a new account.   It wasnt easy because I got a old account with AOC so id did take me 30 mins to go through all the hoops.

• DoomedfoxDoomedfox Member UncommonPosts: 679

You order from an online store which saved you money got the wrong key from them and its Funcoms fault??

How?

I do understand your anger but seriously how is it Funcoms fault?

Originally posted by BullseyeArc1

I have ordered online, i have received a key. I did not order a box. I've only ordered one game as a box. Every time i've received one code, online, which was good. What's the point of 2 keys. I don't understand.

Did you go to the web site and use the key to make a new account?    What I did was go to thier web site then entered the key to make a new account.   It wasnt easy because I got a old account with AOC so id did take me 30 mins to go through all the hoops.

I have a Funcom account, played both AO (5 years) and AoC. I've applied TSW code to that. I was able to play until now. I'm unable to play now because it seems there are two keys, what i've received was a pre-order key and there's another key, a retail key, which i need now and i cannot get, because my retailer does not answer. I did not buy a physical copy.

Originally posted by Doomedfox

You order from an online store which saved you money got the wrong key from them and its Funcoms fault??

How?

It was a GOOD key. I WAS able to play until now.

Funcom says now that it was a pre-order key and that i need a retail key.

I CANNOT get a retail key, my retailer does not answer (prolly threw away the box if there ever was one, no idea how it works, they have thousands of orders daily)

How could i know that there were 2 keys? Why was I not announced in ANY WAY that i'll need to activate a 2nd key after some grace period? I might have asked my retailer for 2 keys when i placed my order... i might have been able to cancel the payment in time... now it's too late, i loved the game, i've pre-ordered a long time ago...

I don't want to hunt my retailer, i don't want to go to court, i don't want any of that shiz. I just want to play. I've paid, i've received a key, there never was anything saying i'll need a 2nd key.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

How?

I CANNOT get a retail key, my retailer does not answer (prolly threw away the box if there ever was one, no idea how it works, they have thousands of orders daily)

How could i know that there were 2 keys? Why was I not announced in ANY WAY that i'll need to activate a 2nd key after some grace period?

You paid for a full game, and your shop only provided a beta-key (pre-order) key. If you cant get a valid retail key from your shop it's their fault, not Funcom's, a dev company cant be parenting all the retailers around the world right?

It's a standard procedure to have separate beta/preorder keys and retail keys, I dont see a problem here on that point.

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788

I woke up today went to login and get denied. NOT COOL!!!!

No warning of this and only an email to buy the game I already bought which scared me, thinking I might have gotten screwed. Now I find out I have to jump through a whole bunch of hoops or wait till my box comes. Luckily I am going away for the weekend but I did want to play a bit today. If I was planning on gaming the weekend away I'd be really tight about this though...

• SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743

Simmihi don't buy game off untrusted e-tailers. You should have just bought the game off amazon or origins. It's not Funcom's fault that you bought a game off some online retailer that cheated you, it was easy to get beta codes, I assume this site got a beta code for the closed beta and sold it to you as the retail game. There was no way they would have been able to give you an actual retail key before the game came out, unless you ordered it from origins. Who is this online retailer anyways? 

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

• BullseyeArc1BullseyeArc1 Member UncommonPosts: 410
    Originally posted by Kuinn

How?

How could i know that there were 2 keys? Why was I not announced in ANY WAY that i'll need to activate a 2nd key after some grace period?

You paid for a full game, and your shop only provided a beta-key (pre-order) key. If you cant get a valid retail key from your shop it's their fault, not Funcom's, a dev company cant be parenting all the retailers around the world right?

It's a standard procedure to have separate beta/preorder keys and retail keys, I dont see a problem here on that point.

If you payed 50$ for the game then set an account you should get 30 days.    Ive never heard of this problem before.    I bought mine on Gamestop, played last night no problems yet with online keys.

Originally posted by BullseyeArc1

How?

If you payed 50$ for the game then set an account you should get 30 days.    Ive never heard of this problem before.    I bought mine on Gamestop, played last night no problems yet with online keys.

Ofcourse, and you wont get 30 days if your shop, from where you ordered the game, provides you only with a beta key? If the key was a retail key there would be no problem.

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

When you buy a physical copy, even when ordered online, you need the code in the box.  This is done to prevent people from pre-ordering, getting the first key, then canceling the order, basically a proof of purchase.  The retailer cannot tell you what your retail key is, they have no way of knowing what your paticular key, unless they open the box, which they wont do, of course.

How?

I don't know, maybe i'm stupid and not aware that this is "Standard Procedure". A link in an obvious place stating this is "Standard Procedure"? I have pre-ordered some games before and never ever i was asked for a second key. Should i have not been announced in any way that there is a 2nd key? What should i do now? Go after my retailer, in court, for 50 bucks? Is that serious?

I don't care about their retailers and Funcom and EA and Amazon and whatever shiz, really. I've paid for a product, i want to be able to use it. Could i get a pre-order key in any other way except pre-ordering? Why can't i just continue playing with this one good key, paying my subscription? I don't get this, i'm sorry.

How?

I don't know, maybe i'm stupid and not aware that this is "Standard Procedure". A link in an obvious place stating this is "Standard Procedure"? I have pre-ordered some games before and never ever i was asked for a second key. Should i have not been announced in any way that there is a 2nd key? What should i do now? Go after my retailer, in court, for 50 bucks? Is that serious?

I don't care about their retailers and Funcom and EA and Amazon and whatever shiz, really. I've paid for a product, i want to be able to use it. Could i get a pre-order key in any other way except pre-ordering? Why can't i just continue playing with this one good key, paying my subscription? I don't get this, i'm sorry.

Its not a written procedure, its just what has always been the case when you deal with a non digital purchase.  You want to play a product you do not physically have yet.  If you ordered an xbox game, would you complain that you cant play it before its arrived?  Thats more or less the case here.  Its bad luck that they didnt accept your payment, but literally thats the way every other MMO company handles physical orderes.

Originally posted by Derros

When you buy a physical copy, even when ordered online, you need the code in the box.  This is done to prevent people from pre-ordering, getting the first key, then canceling the order, basically a proof of purchase.  The retailer cannot tell you what your retail key is, they have no way of knowing what your paticular key, unless they open the box, which they wont do, of course.

So if it is like this, and let's say i chargeback - that's your point, isn't it? If i chargeback, why does not my retailer go to Funcom and say "hey dudes ban this guy he charged back", why does it have to be on me. I was screwed over now, it's clear, not an answer for 1 full day of phones and e-mails and such. What would you do, sue for 50 bucks?

How?

I have never managed to play any mmorpg through beta to retail without setting up a new key. Just get in touch with your retailer and tell them that they have given you a beta-key which is not good for playing.

So if it is like this, and let's say i chargeback - that's your point, isn't it? If i chargeback, why does not my retailer go to Funcom and say "hey dudes ban this guy he charged back", why does it have to be on me. I was screwed over now, it's clear, not an answer for 1 full day of phones and e-mails and such. What would you do, sue for 50 bucks?

I would wait until my game actually comes, and not whine that I cant play for a day or 2?  Chargebacks arent as easy as you make it out to be either, the retailer would go to your credit card company, and then your credit will be harmed.

I have never managed to play any mmorpg through beta to retail without setting up a new key. Just get in touch with your retailer and tell them that they have given you a beta-key which is not good for playing.

I've tried for 1 day, phones, e-mails, everything, no answer. What would you do if you were me?

Maybe that's the procedure now, i've never encountered anything like this. I'd rather have my "good" code which i've paid 50 bucks for and play for whatever time i want instead of an 8-day code bye bye 50 bucks.

• SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743

Dude, listen to yourself. Ordering something from an untrusted source usually comes with some degree of risk, for all we know that online retailer you ordered from is some kid living in his mom's basement, hehe. Since your online retailer is not emailing you back, I assume they conned you.

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

I would wait until my game actually comes, and not whine that I cant play for a day or 2?  Chargebacks arent as easy as you make it out to be either, the retailer would go to your credit card company, and then your credit will be harmed.

My game does not "come", it never did. I've bought from that retailer with no problems multiple times before. I do not get (or need) a physical copy. I am not whining that i cannot play for 2 days, i'm whining because i think i was screwed by some lame system which someone should know it "works like this".

Originally posted by Searias

Dude, listen to yourself. Ordering something from an untrusted source usually comes with some degree of risk, for all we know that online retailer you ordered from is some kid living in his mom's basement, hehe. Since your online retailer is not emailing you back, I assume they conned you.

I have bought from them multiple times with no problems since now. Started with low cost titles (under 5 bucks) until i've trusted them with bigger titles. Everything went perfect. They have great references. They also probably throw away the box instead of taking the extra 10 bucks cost to deliver it. Why would i need a retail box anyway, Oh well.

Curious who did you order it from?  The only 2 approved digital retailers I know of are Origin and Funcom directly.

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

I am a big fan of the game. I've pre-ordered from an on-line retailer (it was cheaper, i was not able to buy directly from Funcom anyways because they did not accept the kind of credit card i own - which works in any other games)

Now they send me an e-mail to enter the product key and that the key i've received was a pre-order key and it's not good anymore.

What the heck is that? Two keys? How could i knew? I've tried to contact my retailer, they did not answer to e-mail, phone or any other form of contact i've tried. Funcom says to take it out with them. Probably i've been screwed up by those but now it's too late, i called my bank and i cannot cancel that payment to them anymore.

DEAR FUNCOM, I KNOW YOU ARE READING THESE BOARDS

This is the most idiotic thing you could have done. How could anyone know that there are TWO!!!! keys, one pre-order, one retail? Why did you not announce in CAPS on your pre-order page that if someone preorders from an online retalier (which sends the key through e-mail) to be sure to ask for TWO keys???

Was the game doing "THAT" good so you needed to lose a few players? No, i will NOT buy your game again, i will not buy ANY other Funcom game and i will go with this story in press and wherever i have the possibility to spread it. In my 10 years of successful online gaming i have never encountered a problem like this, EVER.

Sorry for the rage.

Funny cuz all the MMORPGs I preordered that comes with a head start thing or closed beta thing came with 2 keys.  From champions to SWTOR.

But anyways you should have received it in your email.  If you bought it from EB thing, you can find your key in your list of game keys on their site.   Why dont you re check your emails and see if they sent out the 2nd key to you?

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

I've tried for 1 day, phones, e-mails, everything, no answer. What would you do if you were me?

Not blame Funcom if your retailer takes you from behind and then ignores you.

PS. This might be a bit salt to the wounds, and I'm sorry for that, but to my own experience you can use VisaElectron on Funcom webshop even when it says you cant. I did that on AoC, I just chose normal Visa and paid with Electron, no problem. Anyway, preorder boxes only from official digital distributors.

Curious who did you order it from?  The only 2 approved digital retailers I know of are Origin and Funcom directly.

A local retailer, who probably buys the games from Amazon and sells them with a profit in my country. It is not always easy to buy games in my country. I would have bought it from Funcom directly if they would accept my credit card, but they do not accept Visa Electron (Blizzard, Trion, SoE, NCSoft don't seem to have a problem with it)

P.S. Sorry guys for the rage, and really THANKS for all your replies. I'll probably eat this one (and never get another Funcom product ever). Sorry again, needed a place to blow steam...