Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Holy smokes check out these reviews.

bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

http://thesecretworld.com/news/first_press_reviews_and_ratings

Kinda scary to me. Reviews like this bring in a different crowd. I hope FC sticks to their guns. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"

Comments

• ArawulfArawulf Guest WriterMember UncommonPosts: 597

I wholly believe that an MMO should never be rated until after a full month of play.

• MMOarQQMMOarQQ Member Posts: 636
    Originally posted by Arawulf

I wholly believe that an MMO should never be rated until after a full month of play.

You just hit a whole in won my friend.

• KualaBDKualaBD Member UncommonPosts: 131

I wish they took that stance with Diablo III.  The professional review section might look quite a bit different than it does now.   :)

Anyway I look forward to trying TSW out one day.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

I tend to believe a lot of people have been playing for months already.

• WhySoShortWhySoShort Member Posts: 315
    Originally posted by MMOarQQ

Wholly terrible puns, Batman!

• ArawulfArawulf Guest WriterMember UncommonPosts: 597
    Originally posted by WhySoShort
    Originally posted by MMOarQQ

Wholly terrible puns, Batman!

Wholly cow, what did eye start???

Holy? yeah your probably right  ;) 

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

MMOs almost always get glowing reviews from gaming sites... just look at warhammer online and SWTOR initial reviews...

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• MMOarQQMMOarQQ Member Posts: 636
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

MMOs almost always get glowing reviews from gaming sites... just look at warhammer online and SWTOR initial reviews...

Exactly. These games tend to get reviewed as single playthrough titles, which is totally asinine.

• SebberSebber Member Posts: 221

This is so bias, if you look at some of the review's they don't even give scores yet.... The scores is just made up by Funcom.

Originally posted by Sebber

This is so bias, if you look at some of the review's they don't even give scores yet.... The scores is just made up by Funcom.

That's a bold accusation.

• SebberSebber Member Posts: 221
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by Sebber

That's a bold accusation.

I stand corrected, never mind.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    While I think tsw is a good game, and I'm enjoying it more than any new mmo I've played since eve / planetside times. (i also like gw2 beta but that ain't out yet)

I don't see how anyone can take mmo reviews seriously after the ridiculous swtor reviews.
  • Rollcage8Rollcage8 Member Posts: 63

The reviews that are made this early from the games release definately are single character/single play through level of consumed content and therefore should be treated as such.

This doesn't actually invalidate the review, it just means that as far as long term gameplay is concerned, noone will truly know, but track record of video games pretty much paints a picture of alot of people playing - getting bored - and thus purchasing the next MMO/Game which would appear to be Guild wars 2 which will thus get dumped for Mists of Pandaria.

I already know from playing through the first three zones that this game will likely not grab great long term subscriptions due to content and story not being able to be delivered fast enough. But I believe TSW is aiming for the 'Seasonal TV show" effect, in which when content does get released, its substantial and the players will re-subscribe to play through the next story/zones.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

What kind of crowd does a bunch of 8's bring that you are so worried about?

• CantorageCantorage Member Posts: 186
    Originally posted by colddog04

What kind of crowd does a bunch of 8's bring that you are so worried about?

What 8s? I only see 100+ 10s, a couple of nine and 5-10 1s from trolls.

Edit: nvm I thought we were talking about Metacritic user reviews.

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

^This.

While I enjoy the game, and I will be playing it for many years to come....well months, lets be honest I am a game hobo, the reviews are never accurate.

Aaaand I just agreed with Aerowyn....I need a shower.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    While I think tsw is a good game, and I'm enjoying it more than any new mmo I've played since eve / planetside times. (i also like gw2 beta but that ain't out yet)

I don't see how anyone can take mmo reviews seriously after the ridiculous swtor reviews.

Well said! I love the game, but it will take some time to see how well it actually does. How often is it updated with new content? How is the community? Will Fusang develop a proper metagame and not the partial zerging we have now? Will there be enough challenge for people with the lairs/boss and nightmare dungeons?

At the moment I am very optimistic but you aren't finished developing a MMO at launch, you have just taken the first step.

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

I think tsw has the potential to grow into a great mmorpg. Thats if (huge if) funcom develops new and interesting layers to the game. Mmos stagnate when all a developer does is add more of the same. Mmos take on a life of their own when developers fill in the gaps and continue to flesh out the world they started creating.

To review an mmo after such a short time is not wise. Its like holding a seed in your hand and telling people how many children will climb its branches.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

I disagree. While i playing for 1 hour and judging the whole game is wrong, if you've played more then 75% of the content, tried all pvp maps, did tons of quests, crafting, dungeons, etc, etc. you're in a position to say what you feel about the whole game.

Quality doesn't have anything to do with how long a game last. If a game is good, it's good period. That said, longevity is important in mmorpgs of course, and things like ommunity also deserve a fair avaluation.

Finally, who the hell cares about press reviews? No, really, why do you care? Not sure if serious

• TerronteTerronte Member Posts: 321
    Originally posted by FredomSekerZ

I disagree. While i playing for 1 hour and judging the whole game is wrong, if you've played more then 75% of the content, tried all pvp maps, did tons of quests, crafting, dungeons, etc, etc. you're in a position to say what you feel about the whole game.

Quality doesn't have anything to do with how long a game last. If a game is good, it's good period. That said, longevity is important in mmorpgs of course, and things like ommunity also deserve a fair avaluation.

Finally, who the hell cares about press reviews? No, really, why do you care? Not sure if serious

So...This game comes out and there are no reviews for it...how am I supposed to know anything about it? The whole...wait 1 month, 6 months, or whatever silly number...is poppycock.

Things you can review in the first day of playing:

1. Bugs. Yup, if it's got them, you'll likely hear about them or see them yourself.

2. "Feel". Animations off? Graphic style, is it cartoon, realistic, etc. Does combat feel responsive?

3. General Content. What is the questing system like?

etc

etc

etc

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

The problem is that a lot of so called reviews are nothing more than a personal opinion being presented as objective. We end up knowing more about what the author thinks of the game than the game itself. When you spend one or two sentences describing combat followed by three or four paragraphs of why you love it or hate it, youre no longer reviewing a game... People think thats a review, but its not. Talking about what you think a game should or shouldnt be is not a review either. Its perfectly fine to talk about those things and its a lot of fun too. But i see too many threads entitled "my review of ...." When they are just s list of likes and dislikes. Thats not a review.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• p_c_sousap_c_sousa Member Posts: 620

reviews of a MMORPG that was launch a few days ago. this is a joke, same for any other MMORPG review. TERA, TOR, etc 

TOR received reviews of +9 Tera receive reviews near 9, both are actually more near 7-7.5

• dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578

This plus 15 days..

Simply put subscription MMO games tend to get a 30 day hyped honeymoon from the players that bought in but the love affair often begins to sour once boredom and or frustration plus the $15 monthly entry fee kicks in..

And paid reviewers often do not spend enough time to be able to see all the ups and downs of a game and judge it based on their short stay of 2 to 4 hours a day for 3 days or less often making them look stupid a month or two later....

By the same token it can take 30 days for some players just to get use to and or fully understand new and or complex concepts/systems in an mmo like TSW or GW2...

Playing GW2..

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812

+1 to early to get excited about this FC game IMO and once the honeymoon period is over we will then see after all the smoke and mirrors have died away... Plus there is the fact another title will be out farly soon and I have no doubt that will empty many servers for a good few weeks too.

Bandit.

Asbo