Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Graphics Settings.. BOOST your FPS

AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

Been playing around with the graphics options for a bit and noticed a couple  things. For one setting shadows(lighting) to 4(ultra) makes all the shadows a blurry mess. But take the lighting slider to 2 and shadows become crisp and clear I guess this disables dynamic shadows but the dynamic ones are very blurry so you judge what you like better and if its worth the performance hit,  next I noticed the advanced GFX setting on my system looks better set at 2 than it does at 4(noticed at 2 god rays are disabled I think I like the game better with them off). When I set it to 2 I get another 10 fps jump from 4. So with these two settings I gain 15-20 fps and the game looks better to me..

All these settings are in the video options windows under the advanced tab

Found DX9 I don't get the micro stutter I get in DX11.. so sticking with DX9.. Tessllation effect is very subtle anyway and not really worth the performance drop

Still investigating why its doing this.. going to try some older drivers and see if it makes any difference

UPDATE

Tried the 296 series drivers and same thing happens.. i get a ton better performance with lighting at 1 or 2 and Advanced GFX at 1 or 2. For whatever reason it still looks better to me with those two settings set lower than they do at 4

my PC 

2600K runnig at 4.7 GHZ, 560 TI SC SLI, SSHD, 8GB Ram running  on Windows 7

My Full Settings Running in DX9 client

FXAA ON, Motion blur OFF

under Advanced TAB

everything set to 4 execpt

Lighting, Advanced GFX, Vegitation are set to 2 this will turn OFF god rays and lower FXAA effect a little bit

I noticed those 3 give the biggest FPS hits aside from SSAO and tesslation. If you want even bigger fps boost turn all those to 0 but at 2 to me the game looks actually better than when they were at 4 execpt the vegitation but I just turn that one down since its such a fps hog at 3 and 4.

Oh I'm also running the SMAA injector it doesn't add much but is a subtle difference and little better than FXAA. Performance hit is about the same.

With this setup currently averaging 90FPS in PVE.... In  Fusing I can get about 70 FPS but get some bad spikes at times

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Comments

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

Those are really good points. There was a simmilar discussion on how lower video settings give you better overall fps or graphics. I remember how Tera had a simmilar issue with its background option.

I would suggest anyone buying a new game mess around in the video settings for a couple of minutes before officially starting out to get the best experiance.

Have they fixed the video and animation issues during cut scenes yet? Also, has changing those shaders improved the quality?

I am finding more complications with video settings not flushed out correctly due to bad resource management lately.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

yea I'm still playing around but it seems the filtering slider looks better at 2 than 4.. some look better at 4 for sure like texture and world settings but others seem to be opposite.. Ill look into it some more and post my findings

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

Interesting, I'll have to play around with my settings as well. I'd love to be able to turn on tessellation without dropping into the 20s...

Originally posted by Rednecksith

Interesting, I'll have to play around with my settings as well. I'd love to be able to turn on tessellation without dropping into the 20s...

just found something.. boosted my fps from solid 60 fps to 90!.. will post my full settings in a min

OP UPDATED check it out.. still getting some micro stuttering in DX11 going to go back to DX9 and try again since I usually don't get it there

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

Tried those settings, not getting any noticeable performance gain while taking a major hit in image quality. Shadows all jaggy, no godrays, blurry textures, etc. Turning everything off gains me about 5FPS around the police station in Kingsmouth, IMO not worth the decrease in image quality.  Since I get 30-40 in most areas, guess I'll stick with what I've got.

Originally posted by Rednecksith

Tried those settings, not getting any noticeable performance gain while taking a major hit in image quality. Shadows all jaggy, no godrays, blurry textures, etc. Turning everything off gains me about 5FPS around the police station in Kingsmouth, IMO not worth the decrease in image quality.  Since I get 30-40 in most areas, guess I'll stick with what I've got.

very strange.. I know at least couple people in my cabal tried the  lighting from 4 to 1 and definatly saw and improvement in the look of the shadows.. also textures should be at 4 so my settings shouldn't change there quality at all

• TerronteTerronte Member Posts: 321

I run low settings in PvP then turn it up to HIgh in PvE there is definitely and improved overall look including shadows and fog effects.

But thanks for the tips!

• RightlovRightlov Member Posts: 72
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

yea I'm still playing around but it seems the filtering slider looks better at 2 than 4.. some look better at 4 for sure like texture and world settings but others seem to be opposite.. Ill look into it some more and post my findings

Remember to post the result of your investigations on the Testlive forum as well: http://forums-beta.thesecretworld.com/

Much less spam, and they read everything! - the more feedback they get; the better :)

I would post your PC specs as well. When you guys reply on this thread so we know what were dealing with. Some video cards or PC setups sometimes affect gameplay. I know that the recent drivers from Nvidia have messed up my LoL and Tera video quality lately and it had nothing to do with the shaders. Strangely it did not affect my TSW gameplay whatsoever.

I am running quad 3.2 oc i7 , 8 gig ram , 2 nvidia SLI enabled 1 gig each vid cards. My TSW is a little clunky at certain points, but that i feel is due to my out dated vid cards. The rest Nvidia patch really messed up my FPS in certain places.

Originally posted by Wakygreek

I would post your PC specs as well. When you guys reply on this thread so we know what were dealing with. Some video cards or PC setups sometimes affect gameplay. I know that the recent drivers from Nvidia have messed up my LoL and Tera video quality lately and it had nothing to do with the shaders. Strangely it did not affect my TSW gameplay whatsoever.

I am running quad 3.2 oc i7 , 8 gig ram , 2 nvidia SLI enabled 1 gig each vid cards. My TSW is a little clunky at certain points, but that i feel is due to my out dated vid cards. The rest Nvidia patch really messed up my FPS in certain places.

hmm maybe ill try going back to a 200 series driver and see if it makes any difference

oops! 2 gts 240 SLI enabled video cards, 1 gig each.

• KwanseiKwansei Member UncommonPosts: 334

Nice find!

I remember back in VG this trick oddly enough worked as well.

updated the OP with my specs. I noticed sli doesn't really do anything for my frames. Its using both GPUs but testing in SLI and with SLI off framerate is the same

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Can you list all your advanced settings slider positions, along with any of the major settings from the main tab? It's hard to duplicate your findings with just a couple settings, since various settings may interact with each other.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

Originally posted by fiontar

Can you list all your advanced settings slider positions, along with any of the major settings from the main tab? It's hard to duplicate your findings with just a couple settings, since various settings may interact with each other.

about to... I had them up there but just had to change a few things :)

updated the OP with my specs. I noticed sli doesn't really do anything for my frames. Its using both GPUs but testing in SLI and with SLI off framerate is the same

Some games do not have SLI enabled which is unfortunate. If you do not see any noticible differences off the bat, I suggest going into a cluttered area and seeing if you notice any FPS changes. Sometimes your video card needs to work at a certain output before you notice the SLI support.

Some games do not have SLI enabled which is unfortunate. If you do not see any noticible differences off the bat, I suggest going into a cluttered area and seeing if you notice any FPS changes. Sometimes your video card needs to work at a certain output before you notice the SLI support.

the game supports SLI the profile came with the last beta drivers and it definatly uses both gpus as indicated by the loads on them I just don't see any fps difference anywhere...

oh updated the OP with my full current settings

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

FunCom's "Dreamworld" engine has always been odd in this way.

I remember a similar situation occuring when AoC launched, I could get better performance with higher settings than I could with lower settings, and certain settings that should have degraded performance actually improved it.

It's a really fickle little beast.

• SyllendaleSyllendale Member UncommonPosts: 162

I often wonderd and never know if I should use Anit-Alias or not, anyone care to give a thumbs up or down? 

Using a ATi Radeon 6800 HD series (1gig DDR5) .. just one. 

Originally posted by Syllendale

I often wonderd and never know if I should use Anit-Alias or not, anyone care to give a thumbs up or down? 

Using a ATi Radeon 6800 HD series (1gig DDR5) .. just one. 

not sure does ATI AA even work in this game? I know FXAA is nvidia only and you can't force MSAA or anything like that with nvidia so wasn't sure if you could with ATI.. i actually just started using SMAA injector which works ok but still isn't that great.. game really needs support for better AA 

Originally posted by Kost

FunCom's "Dreamworld" engine has always been odd in this way.

I remember a similar situation occuring when AoC launched, I could get better performance with higher settings than I could with lower settings, and certain settings that should have degraded performance actually improved it.

It's a really fickle little beast.

yea.. I had several people try the lighting thing and everyone that tried said shadows looked better to them with lighting at 2 than at 4 and you get a decent fps boost doing this. You can really notice it around trees

• CantorageCantorage Member Posts: 186

If you think the crappy stencil shadows on GFX setting 1 looks better than the geometric/ dynamic soft shadows on 3 and 4, you are mad, or have an eye problem!

Edit: Though I could partially agree that setting 3 and 4 can be less impressive without Screen Space Ambient Occlusion (SSAO) at max with "advanced gfx" slider at 3 or 4.

Originally posted by Cantorage

If you think the crappy stencil shadows on GFX setting 1 looks better than the geometric/ dynamic soft shadows on 3 and 4, you are mad, or have an eye problem!

advanced GFX doesn't effect shadows... lighting does though.. to me the soft shadows blur way to much I also get a strange effect on 3 and 4 lighting where the shadows change positions way to often.. same thing happens in skyrim but you can fix that with a ini change in skyrim

• CantorageCantorage Member Posts: 186
    Originally posted by Cantorage

advanced GFX doesn't effect shadows... lighting does though.. to me the soft shadows blur way to much

I wasn't talking about advanced gfx settings. But Advanced gfx controls SSAO and godrays, which are in fact lighting parameters.