Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I want to be able to change hotkey for weapon skills!!!! You?

124»

Comments

• PJonePJone Member Posts: 63
    Originally posted by grimm6th
    I think what you don't get is that weapon sets do several things:
    1. they group skills together, making them easier to remember.
    2. they force you to use a weapon in order to learn each skill past the first, making the weapon easier to learn.
    3. they reduce the number of hotkeys you have to think about at any given time, making things simpler to remember.
    4. they limit the number of skills you can use during any one fight, allowing for you to only have to think about that limited set of skills.
    5. they define a playstyle within your classes playstyle, making each weapon easier to remember.
    6. the fact that you can't change the location of a skill on your bar probably also helps in faster memorization and ease of learning the weapon, assuming you aren't getting hung up on the fact that you can't...

You, I like you. Also, someone mentioned earlier about having specific abilities like their snare/root always being #3 and some other stuff of similar nature. It was then followed up by saying "but if I can't move my abilities, even if I put the hotkeys to how I am accustomed too, in the heat of battle there will obviously times where misclicks happen." Now why would misclicks happen if you knew what type of ability you needed to use and  you had said ability type bound to your familiar/usual keybinding, regardless if the keybinds on your bars read 1, 3, 4, 2, 5 or 1, 2, 3, 4 ,5?

Again, I suppose it won't hurt if ANet lets it happen, but there shouldn't be a downside to not leaving it as is if you actually use the assigned keybinding (whether they be default or custom) as opposed to clicking, which is what it seems like most of the people pushing for the change probably do, click.

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788

Picked don't care. I use a controller so I can already.

• JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880

I'd like to see this changed too, having skill #2 hotkeyed as 4 or something will get awkward if you're switching between many different weapons.

I'll probably leave 1-5 as hotkey 1-5 and not fiddle with it if they leave it as is.

• ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686

I'll be rebinding a lot of my skills to keys around the wasd movement keys. 1-4 will still get used but qert, f and zxcv will also be used. I'm looking forward to not having to manage so many keybinds. I had over 60 keybinds in WoW and it was just a chore to manage it all.

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

There is absolutely no reason for a game to launch without the option to reconfigure any and all of its keybindings. None whatsoever.

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202
    Originally posted by Banquetto

There is absolutely no reason for a game to launch without the option to reconfigure any and all of its keybindings. None whatsoever.

You can reconfigure your keybindings already

What people want is the ability to "re-arrange" the skill icons on their skillbar, and currently this is not available in the game.

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

Originally posted by seridan
    Originally posted by Banquetto There is absolutely no reason for a game to launch without the option to reconfigure any and all of its keybindings. None whatsoever.

What people want is the ability to "re-arrange" the skill icons on their skillbar, and currently this is not available in the game.

I know. That's why I'm saying any and all. Yes you can reconfigure keybindings to an extent, but you don't have complete control over which key does what.
  • DamonDamon Member UncommonPosts: 170

While I am fine with how the abilities are ordered on the quick bar, I do encourage as much freedom to customize a UI as possible.  I think Arena Net decided to make them static on the quick bar, because it would be easier to identify weapon abilities during combat, especially when switching between weapon sets.  However, I still support the option for players to make that choice.

I know. That's why I'm saying any and all. Yes you can reconfigure keybindings to an extent, but you don't have complete control over which key does what.

Playing with words now, but you can configure keybindings as much as you want, you have complete control over which key does what, that's not the issue here

The issue is you can't have the skills in the same order you want on your skillbar, nothing to do with keybindings or control over keys.

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578

Yes plz, though i have absolutely no qualms with it the way it is..

Adjustability is always nice for that custom touch but make a default reset button just in case! ;)

Playing GW2..

• aionixaionix Member UncommonPosts: 288

Originally posted by Banquetto There is absolutely no reason for a game to launch without the option to reconfigure any and all of its keybindings. None whatsoever.

Wrong.  Its the VISUAL REPRESENTATION on the UI that cannot be chaged atm.  But every keybing can be made into whatever you choose.  For example:

Skill slot in 1 can be changed to 4

2 to 3

3 to 2

Ect Ect.....however on the screen it will still say 1,2,3,4 in that order instead of 4,3,2,1.....thats where the problem lies, so it looks confusing on the players end if they changed their bindings.  Also, it doesn't help clickers out in any way or form cuz they cannot move the skills around.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by aionix

Wrong.  Its the VISUAL REPRESENTATION on the UI that cannot be chaged atm.  But every keybing can be made into whatever you choose.  For example:

Skill slot in 1 can be changed to 4

2 to 3

3 to 2

Ect Ect.....however on the screen it will still say 1,2,3,4 in that order instead of 4,3,2,1.....thats where the problem lies, so it looks confusing on the players end if they changed their bindings.  Also, it doesn't help clickers out in any way or form cuz they cannot move the skills around.

No, when you switch weapons, it reduces your control over the keybinds. You can't bind for every weapon at this point. I would prefer that you could.

Actually, when you change the keybindings, they appear blank on the screen in the UI at the bottom. So you are just wrong in general until they change it.

Well those who don't click, but use their keyboard, on their skills shouldn't have much of a problem.

However there are certain situations that may be very confusing, for example skill 3 with Sword on Guardian is a teleport+blind and skill 4 for Greatsword does about the same, why can't I use the same button for those 2 (very similar) skills? Even if I change my keybind on the skill 3 of the sword to something I like more, I can't put the same button on my Greatsword skill 4.

Playing with words now, but you can configure keybindings as much as you want, you have complete control over which key does what, that's not the issue hereThe issue is you can't have the skills in the same order you want on your skillbar, nothing to do with keybindings or control over keys.
    And you say I'm playing with words here?

I'm done. No point even trying to have a conversation with fanbois. It's never enough that you think a game is excellent: you have to think it is perfect, and that any tiny flaw it has is actually a merit.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,606
    Originally posted by Damon

While I am fine with how the abilities are ordered on the quick bar, I do encourage as much freedom to customize a UI as possible.  I think Arena Net decided to make them static on the quick bar, because it would be easier to identify weapon abilities during combat, especially when switching between weapon sets.  However, I still support the option for players to make that choice.

Ya IMO you can never have to many options for a UI. I also find GW2 UI lacking that in many ways. Cant even move things around.