Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I want to be able to change hotkey for weapon skills!!!! You?

Comments

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by PJone

I have a Razer Naga and changed all my bindings to various thumb panel buttons and modifier combinations. So you technically can have your teleport skill be #5, it just won't visually be there. While the argument can be used that it is not visually there, it is something that is easily gotten used to after putting enough hours into it. Hell, after playing an Elementalist for 51 levels I have a mental stopwatch of all the cooldowns for all the abilities in all 4 attunements to within 10% of them coming back up.

Tldr; Easy solution would be, like someone mentioned already, let people re-arrange the ability slots that you have already unlocked. There, done, problem solved. This is a very basic option in hotbar based games, even Diablo 3 has it in a similar environment where you unlock stuff in certain order, you can change the place of slots after you have unlocked abilities in that game.

I've played years of mmorpgs and I still take a peek many times during a combat at my abilities often to check CD's, I dont have multiple counters in my head for every ability and class. Now if I have the abilities in an order that the game forces on me, but keybinds where I want them, it's going to cause misclicks in the heat of the moment because the ability slot to keybind order is illogical. It's like having to learn to count in a different way, instead of 1 2 3 4 5 it's now 1 3 5 4 2 try to remember that in a tough spot.

• PJonePJone Member Posts: 63

If this was like WoW or Rift where I have 2 dozen or more potential abilities that I could make use of at any given time, I would very much agree. But the fact is you only have 10 at a time, only 5 of which ever change substantially. The UI is already so brilliantly done and full-functioned despite the minimalist approach that I personally see no reason that it needs changing.

It is not big deal if ANet changes it so that you can move the 1st 5 skills in addition to rebinding them, but that's my point, it's not a big deal in the reverse way of looking at things either. From what I've seen from most classes, the skill load outs on the bars are pretty intuitive, with the later skills (4 and 5) being situational, more scarcely used abilities, with typically longer cooldowns. I personally love the setup of the abilities on my Elementalist and to me it's flowing, intuitive, and fits in pretty well with how often I end up using the abilities. While I cannot say the same about the others being as flowing, because I have not played them, you couldn't pay me to rearrange them on my Elementalist.

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Originally posted by Badaboom

I really could care less.  I think you should just learn and adapt.  What happens when you get a new weapon type and your reading the skills to select what slot you get and some monster kills you while you are pissing around.  I know, I know stupid situational example.  Anyways, just learn and adapt.

Really just asking for what every MMO lets you do. Select where you put what skill on your hotbar where you want it. Been doing this for 14 years, 3 is always root or AE stun. Why should I adapt when every MMO lets you have this small freedom?

Because not every weapon has a stun maybe? The weapon determines what skills you have available. If you use a weapon with a stun then you might not have it in the 3 skill visually. You can bind your keys however you want, but that might get confusing. I doubt you'll be able to change the order of your skills for any given weaponset.

If you've grown so used to the 3=stun mindset and you think you can't change that anymore then you might have a problem playing GW2.

imageimage
  • korat102korat102 Member Posts: 313
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Just because players ask for something does not mean the company has to do it. people still talking about is whining.

The term 'whining' has very negative connotations and can really get peoples backs up. Personally, I'd consider it an insult and wouldn't use it myself. There's just no need for it.

• QuenchsterQuenchster Member Posts: 450

I'm fine with it now that I'm used to it, but as a warrior I still agree that we need to be able to change the keybindings for each weapon set. It would be nice if I could rebind my 1 through 5 keys without it making one of my two weapon set keybindings feel too funny.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,606
    Originally posted by Kuinn

I have a Razer Naga and changed all my bindings to various thumb panel buttons and modifier combinations. So you technically can have your teleport skill be #5, it just won't visually be there. While the argument can be used that it is not visually there, it is something that is easily gotten used to after putting enough hours into it. Hell, after playing an Elementalist for 51 levels I have a mental stopwatch of all the cooldowns for all the abilities in all 4 attunements to within 10% of them coming back up.

Tldr; Easy solution would be, like someone mentioned already, let people re-arrange the ability slots that you have already unlocked. There, done, problem solved. This is a very basic option in hotbar based games, even Diablo 3 has it in a similar environment where you unlock stuff in certain order, you can change the place of slots after you have unlocked abilities in that game.

I've played years of mmorpgs and I still take a peek many times during a combat at my abilities often to check CD's, I dont have multiple counters in my head for every ability and class. Now if I have the abilities in an order that the game forces on me, but keybinds where I want them, it's going to cause misclicks in the heat of the moment because the ability slot to keybind order is illogical. It's like having to learn to count in a different way, instead of 1 2 3 4 5 it's now 1 3 5 4 2 try to remember that in a tough spot.

Well said Kuinn, thats my problem. The skills are in order of smallest to longest cool down and thats not helpful to me. I would rather then in the order of, hotkey 1 opener attack, hotkey 2 2nd attact most used, then have my stuns, roots and esscape hotkeys on 3,4,5. 20-30 skills a class I need them in a logical order for me not not smallest to longest cool down.

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283
    Originally posted by lilHeala

It would certainly be nice if that's possible but I also can see why it's not that easy to implement (mechanics of unlocking skills and main hand / off hand) as some folks suggest. But I'm not that fussed tbh because I can also adapt to the game instead of having the game adapt to my wishes. We're too spoiled these days and if a studio doesn't include a feature we're used to having in every other mmo we start whining like spoiled lil brats should.

How is that difficult? Where the skills appears on the hotbar doesnt affect the order in which it unlocks, nor which hand its in. The UI has no bearing on game mechanics.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by thedarkess

You can change hotkey for skills, but you can't rearrange first 5 skills.

So you can make key 1 to activate skill 3, but you can't move skill 3 to slot 1.

I don't care because they are arranged in logical order depending on first hand weapon and offhand.

If this is the case, it would be pretty much a non issue for me. At the same time why not allow them to be moved around?

I also move my abilities into a logical order for myself.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283
    Originally posted by Ramanadjinn

i don't see the problem

there are 2 situations.

the system as it is now

1) you like where they are and you cannot change the keys -- you're happy

2) you do not like the keybinds and you cannot change them -- you're unhappy

the system the OP suggests or a very similar one!

1) you like where they are and you can change the keys -- you're happy

2) you do not like the keybinds and you can change them -- you're happy

notice how only one group of people would be affected.

seems like a pretty simple suggestion to support, especially considering skills could automatically go to the skill bar as they are now and unlock the exact same way this could be implemented so that the game does not change one bit for those who do not wish to concern themselves with it.

The problem is that then you cant force others to play your way or maintain the illusion that the developers are gods.

• otinanai123otinanai123 Member Posts: 265

Good idea OP. hope anet reads this. every mmo has this. why not gw2?

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812

Not asking for huge thing IMO the ability to change where weapon skills are. I would really like to be able to put the hotkey in what order I want them. Like on the 1h sword for the guardian I would like teleport to be skill 5 not 2. Rooting skills I always put on hotkey 3. I dont get why there is no freedom in this. What do you think?

EDIT: Way it could work, say 1h sword be able to chage skill 1,2,3 to what order I want, same for 1h mace etc and with a 2h anywhere on skill 1,2,3,4 and 5. Each weapon could let you change the order for that weapon only. What logical for you may not be logical for me. Using keybinding makes it a mess for refresh timers. 

It's not a game killer for me and no doubt we will see this in the future, however I feel they more interested in getting the game out at this stage than doing to many major changes. Also we don't know if they have an unlock system in place where you can do all this and until it goes live we wont know, so I'd hang in there until you know for sure and add it to your wish list.

Bandit

Asbo

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

I'll all for being able to rearrange the order of the skills on the bar as well. Also, yes, the order should be saved individually for each weapon set.

It makes complete sense because the order of your keybinds for one weapon might not be ideal with a different set.

For example, a skill you use all the time with one set is in slot 5 (you might want it keybinded to 2 if you use it a lot).. but with your other set you hardly ever use the skill in slot 5.. but now you've binded it to 2 and the one you use all the time with that weapon might be binded to 5..

It's not gamebreaking but it's a pain in the ass.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

Although I've been fine with the current setup, I can definitely imagine it being useful to have this option.

So yeah, the more freedom with that, the better.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

Perhaps allowing skill swaping after all skills on that weapon are unlocked.

I wouldn't have a problem with that.

Again, I wouldn't bring up stuff like this on MMORPG. It won't do anything. Let devs know in beta. It's the most effective way for them to know what's wrong and how to change it. Otherwise, you're shouting into an echo chamber.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• GurpslordGurpslord Member Posts: 350

In GW1 you really couldn't ulness you had a gaming keyboard. Why should you now. It is basically the same number of skills so why should it change.

I like to put skills where I want them, thats why. Can I ask what the big deal would be if ANet let us? Or is thers something I dont understand about the game?

This is absolutely true, and I clicked on the wrong vote.  I personally don't see the issue.  Figuring out how the numbers 1 thru 8 line up isn't very hard for me and I'm okay with where the skills get put.  If it had 30 skills like those other games than sure, I'd want to be able to move stuff around.  This one has 8, I can work with that.

That being said, it doesn't hurt my feelings or impact gameplay in any way shape or form to allow people to move their abilities around one bit.  I wouldn't be against it, but it certainly wouldn't be something I'd want to see on the high priority list on patch notes.

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    I actually agree with this. It would be nice to be able to switch around skills to make it easier for the indivisual playing. Especially with large skill bars such as elementalist and engineer. If you have multiple skills with similar effects, why not put them on a familiar button? It makes complete sense. I personally won't likely use it, but it is a good idea... Kind of disappointing to hear people shoot down a good idea simply becuase it is different from what Anet has done so far.
    A problem of course is the unlocking of skills, but that can easily be fixed so you can switch around skills (like in the original gw) after you unlocked them all for that weapon.
    Another problem is with the engineer. How would you do the weapon kits? I doubt anyone would fill there entire bar with weapon kits, but you never know. Seems like a lot to remember, for both the game and the player.
  • NanulakNanulak Member UncommonPosts: 372

I can understand, this is a new game and you have to learn a new way of fighting.  But I kinda miss my 1, 2, 3, 4, 5...fight progression :)  But in a way im glad, it adds to the "this is a new and better way to play" feeling.  So, I dont mind if they want to teach this old dog something new.

Nanulak

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Originally posted by Gurpslord

In GW1 you really couldn't ulness you had a gaming keyboard. Why should you now. It is basically the same number of skills so why should it change.

I like to put skills where I want them, thats why. Can I ask what the big deal would be if ANet let us? Or is thers something I dont understand about the game?

This is absolutely true, and I clicked on the wrong vote.  I personally don't see the issue.  Figuring out how the numbers 1 thru 8 line up isn't very hard for me and I'm okay with where the skills get put.  If it had 30 skills like those other games than sure, I'd want to be able to move stuff around.  This one has 8, I can work with that.

That being said, it doesn't hurt my feelings or impact gameplay in any way shape or form to allow people to move their abilities around one bit.  I wouldn't be against it, but it certainly wouldn't be something I'd want to see on the high priority list on patch notes.

I personally have no preference either way. I can learn where everything lies on keys 1-8, without having to adjust anything. At the same time, it doesn't bother me in the slightest if someone wants to change where their skills are. As long as it's something that doesn't take up too much dev time (these types of changes can be surprisingly complex depending on coding issues).

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by grogstorm

I can understand, this is a new game and you have to learn a new way of fighting.  But I kinda miss my 1, 2, 3, 4, 5...fight progression :)  But in a way im glad, it adds to the "this is a new and better way to play" feeling.  So, I dont mind if they want to teach this old dog something new.

Play Rift - that is how that fighting is - 1,2,3,4,5 - foe done. Kind of boring to me.

Play Rift - that is how that fighting is - 1,2,3,4,5 - foe done. Kind of boring to me.

So pressing 3,5,1,2,4 makes it a better game? lol

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

So pressing 3,5,1,2,4 makes it a better game? lol

I was just thinking GW2 may not be their type of game....

No, but understanding that different weapons have different skills associated with them DOES help the understanding and the mechanics of the game.

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

I'll play and enjoy either way, but would prefer to place them myself.  I like to have most constantly in use abilities on my 7+ keys, then situationals from 1 to 6.

• PJonePJone Member Posts: 63

Well said Kuinn, thats my problem. The skills are in order of smallest to longest cool down and thats not helpful to me. I would rather then in the order of, hotkey 1 opener attack, hotkey 2 2nd attact most used, then have my stuns, roots and esscape hotkeys on 3,4,5. 20-30 skills a class I need them in a logical order for me not not smallest to longest cool down.

Well....if the skills are indeed from shortest to longest cooldown (which in some cases they are not) then what you just said about #1 being your opener/most used and #2 being 2nd most used is exactly what will happen. You're going to use #1 more than #2, #2 more than #3, etc etc. Don't try and BS about the 20-30 skills a class, you might have that if you count all of the skills on all of the weapons, but you will only ever have 2 weapon sets at a time equipped (aka only 5 skills that change to 5 other skills). Try having 20 at a time split amongst what is effectively 4 different weapon sets as an Elementalist.

Also, how is from shortest to longest cooldown not a logical order? That's one of the basic ways of organizing things.

Well....if the skills are indeed from shortest to longest cooldown (which in some cases they are not) then what you just said about #1 being your opener/most used and #2 being 2nd most used is exactly what will happen. You're going to use #1 more than #2, #2 more than #3, etc etc. Don't try and BS about the 20-30 skills a class, you might have that if you count all of the skills on all of the weapons, but you will only ever have 2 weapon sets at a time equipped (aka only 5 skills that change to 5 other skills). Try having 20 at a time split amongst what is effectively 4 different weapon sets as an Elementalist.

Also, how is from shortest to longest cooldown not a logical order? That's one of the basic ways of organizing things.

Umm maybe you dont get it. I know the mage is the worst of the bunch but with just the staff they have 20 skills + 5 skills including utility, race and epic. Take in account their other weapons and it goes over 30 very quickly. A guardian has about 40 different skills with all weapons and off hands before you include utility, race and epic. Think I am lieing? Check your self HERE. ANet has said if you stick to 1-2 weapons types you will not be fully playing your class. There is a lot of skills to remember and even more so when you didnt orgnize them how you want. I personaly think it would be easier to remember if you got to put the hotkeys where you wanted them.

• grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973

Umm maybe you dont get it. I know the mage is the worst of the bunch but with just the staff they have 20 skills + 5 skills including utility, race and epic. Take in account their other weapons and it goes over 30 very quickly. A guardian has about 40 different skills with all weapons and off hands before you include utility, race and epic. Think I am lieing? Check your self HERE. ANet has said if you stick to 1-2 weapons types you will not be fully playing your class. There is a lot of skills to remember and even more so when you didnt orgnize them how you want. I personaly think it would be easier to remember if you got to put the hotkeys where you wanted them.

I think what you don't get is that weapon sets do several things:

1. they group skills together, making them easier to remember.
    2. they force you to use a weapon in order to learn each skill past the first, making the weapon easier to learn.
    3. they reduce the number of hotkeys you have to think about at any given time, making things simpler to remember.
    4. they limit the number of skills you can use during any one fight, allowing for you to only have to think about that limited set of skills.
    5. they define a playstyle within your classes playstyle, making each weapon easier to remember.
    6. the fact that you can't change the location of a skill on your bar probably also helps in faster memorization and ease of learning the weapon, assuming you aren't getting hung up on the fact that you can't...

I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.