Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: Review In Progress - Part One

1235»

Comments

• plescureplescure Member UncommonPosts: 397

Just loving this game at the moment. i havent had this much fun in a new MMO since eq2 1st came out

Yes its buggy but its very easy to get past that when the core game is so well designed.

proper, proper addicted. the only reason im here now typing this is cause the severs are down!

If someone is talking in general chat in a language you dont understand, chances are they're not talking to you. So chill out and stop bitching about it!

• Belly1974Belly1974 Member Posts: 20
    I actually really love this game... I really like the quests, my brain doesn't know what to do at times as it's probably not used to working, but I think they are well thought out. Don't get me wrong, some quests are 'go kill 10 beastie thingy’s' but I think they got the balance quite right...

I ran Inferno for the first time last night and found it a lot of fun, if not hard at first until we figured out the tactics...

The setting is awesome, very spooky at times (Jebus anyone fought the Boogieman yet?), I agree the music is great; graphics rock (animations, some are a little off but while getting chased down a street by 6 zombies you really don't notice that much)...

I like the Deck system, as now I'm older with kids, the time I get to play isn't as much as it used to be... Anyway rather than sat reading up for hours on kick ass builds, I can just pick a deck that sounds cool and pick the skills it suggests. Plus I like how you get an outfit when completing the deck.
    I've encountered some bugs so far (mostly to do with a small handful of quests I couldn't complete) but all in all it hasn't spoiled my enjoyment any. The game has had a couple of hours downtime to fix issues, and I see this as a good sign and hope they keep it up.

I really like it, and I would deffo say any horror/ zombie/ Lovecraft nuts out there like myself, give it a go...

• UngodlyUngodly Member UncommonPosts: 10

I had ZERO intentions of buying this game and in fact I have been quite bored by every new MMO that comes out (I really thought TOR would have been "the one" for me, but it just didn't click). On a whim, I grabbed it and after playing this game with my wife last night, we are totally sold on it.

The Lovecraftian/King vibe of the starting town along with the investigative missions adds a much needed break-up in gameplay and I've never seen anything like it in an modern day MMO. I won't spoil anything here, obviously, but one mission last night had my wife and I totally stumped, but we KNEW we were on the right track. After about an hour, we tried something on a whim and we were right! It's a really good feeling to see a game that actually tries to make you think rather than shuffling you off to the next boar to kill.

I can see your average "ZOMG END GAME NOW" type of MMORPG gamer turning on this pretty quick, but I think Funcom did the right thing to try and fill a niche rather than make yet ANOTHER WoW clone.

Good for them.

People should be supporting new ideas like this. Otherwise everything will be more WoW clones. Because, I gotta be honest. I don't know what kind of "innovation" a lot of you are looking for. You don't ask for "innovation" in a FPS...no one wants a new way to fire a gun. The BASIC MECHANICS are gonna be the same idea. But when they start doing things like the investigations and people still call it "old and tired", I really have to question what folks are even looking for with these games. This game is quite fresh...very excited for the future of this game.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

Surely will play it sooner or later, probably later, ... but no respec? Very very bad idea, abysmal.  Unacceptable. But I'm sure they will start charge extra real money like in CO. And forget "but this add a lot to immersion, one must think very carefully ....". In this case nothing is more "immersive" then introducing perma death in game. But I think is not present.

I also love a lot creating good looking alts ... however it looks in last moment they had remedied to initial complainings.

I just hope is not so bug ridden as was Aoc. At that time have decided that will never play any Funcom game any more before at least few months or even year have passed. Would break this rule only if really nothing usefull to play. But fortunately this is not the case.

• knightprodigknightprodig Member CommonPosts: 14

I played a bit in early beta and log on now and again to see how things progress or lack thereof. I bought into the hype and am extremely disappointed. Feels like a resident evil online game with little to no MMO elements. I like the horror genre, but this one still feels like a very slow grind. After many hours of gameplay, you really do seem to get nowhere.

In my opinion, Funcom failed again and to me they continue to be at the level of a cheap F2P company.

• blackhawkzzblackhawkzz Member Posts: 53
    Originally posted by knightprodig

I played a bit in early beta and log on now and again to see how things progress or lack thereof. I bought into the hype and am extremely disappointed. Feels like a resident evil online game with little to no MMO elements. I like the horror genre, but this one still feels like a very slow grind. After many hours of gameplay, you really do seem to get nowhere.

In my opinion, Funcom failed again and to me they continue to be at the level of a cheap F2P company.

No mmo elements how so, join a guild and socialize its your choice as a player how social you are. I and my cabal (guild) have been doing funsang runs every day owning the templars and dragons. We do daily dungeons and out door lairs you obviously don't know how to interact in an mmo.

• ValasAzuviirValasAzuviir Member Posts: 27
    Originally posted by daltanious

. And forget "but this add a lot to immersion, one must think very carefully ....". In this case nothing is more "immersive" then introducing perma death in game. But I think is not present.

That's because there's an in-game Lore reason why perma-death isn't in the game.

The same beings that gave the characters their powers are also the ones preventing the character from perma-dying.

While it's apparently still possible (least according to one npc), the amount of power required for it, is beyond most of the Mobs in-game. And at least one baddie, that you interact with, believes that it isn't possible (and he's apparently older than he looks by a large number of centuries as well, so he may know more than the npc who believes that the characters can be slain).

In addition, some of the quests, actually require you to be dead, in order to interact with certain things in the Spirit World.

• NordschleifeNordschleife Member Posts: 5

This is my first MMO, and its just sucked me in ! WOW !! I will use alot of time on this one. Good i got the life time sub. :) Thanks Funcom

• corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341
    Originally posted by rygard49

I played during the very last beta weekend prior to release. The combat was unfortunately the major detractor for me in buying this game. Most other things about the game I really liked including the overly-complicated skill wheel advancement.

But the combat is what you (typically) spend the most time doing, and I really couldn't get past the whole 'wow rogue' thing with every weapon. I'll definitely be giving this game another look if they have a free trial, and see if I can get past that hitch.

totally agree.

funcom did alot of good elsewhere, but

combat is THE thing in these kinds of games.  and this is your same bog standard, dice rolling,

typical RPG, level grinding, brainless, skill-less combat. with just a few largely meaningless twists.  it feels good  that you don't have to stop moving around while firing off abilities, but your movement is pretty meaningless as far as combat effectiveness goes.  climb up a ladder and things will still melee hit you from FAR away.   if you don't spend enough time grinding up your skills on lower level monsters, you have no hope of taking down higher level monsters, cuz player skill is not at all a factor in battles, etc. etc.  its still all about grounding out levels.

its good that this game will help devs think more outside the box (for non-combat things) and be willing to experiment more, but the combat ruins the game for people that aren't dazzled by the new coat of paint, or the somewhat different questing.

now for those of you that wanna respond pointing out the game "doesn't have levels"....... save it.  you're extremely gullible and will swallow anything the marketing department wants you to believe, hook, line and sinker.   they didn't even entirely get rid of the WORD "level", nevermind the way the actual mechanics work.

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

---------------------------

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,737

I'm glad I got to try TSW in beta........If I went by the reports on this forum I'd have bought 10 lifetime subs......I just dont see why so many are so enamored with this game lol