Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: Review In Progress - Part One

Comments

• Method01Method01 Member UncommonPosts: 128

Good and fair review. 

I totally agree. TSW really bring something new and fresh to the mmo genre. The ambiance is indeed amazing. The sound, the music, cutsenes the very very dark environments, just makes me wan't more of this. Just love the horror theme. I said it before and i say it again. I really believe this mmo is one of the most important mmo's released the last years.

They dare do do something new. To challenge to player. Make them use their brain, when they play.

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

A game that could be so much more if they had took on board the criticisms of the combat animations/mechanics that had been being raised for the last 2.5 years.  I like many others chose to not buy it (the first major MMO since 2005 I haven't) based on this and they missing out on a massive part of the market due to it. 

Almost everyone I know who hasnt bought it which is 99% of my MMO Playing friends,  have chosen to stay where they are or nto play anything at all than pick up TSW and all list that exact same reason for not purchasing.

• TalinTalin Member UncommonPosts: 918

A good read of early thoughts, but I'm looking forward to more on the actual gameplay in the next round of the review. I am glad the character creation has been improved - even if marginally - as I am a huge fan of customization and (like most) was disappointed in beta.

While I would consider playing in a trial again in the future, with the release of GW2 coming I just don't see myself investime time into this game in the near-term. I am very interested to see how it shapes up, as it looks like it could be a pleasant alternative to the Fantasy/Future/Space MMOs out there.

• odiasudaodiasuda Member UncommonPosts: 162

AoC was all about the combat and little else. We all remember how that worked out.  Maybe Funcom decided to put some man hours into content and story this time around. That being said, the combat isn't *that* bad.  I've seen worse.  *cough cough Shadowbane coughhh*

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283

I wasnt impressed with the beta and quit after a few hours. Wasnt really excited to keep playing.

• BigCountryBigCountry Member Posts: 478

Great read Suzie!!! Good stuff.

BigCountry | Head Hunters | www.wefarmpeople.com

• BigCountryBigCountry Member Posts: 478

Solid write up from Suzie. Good stuff.

BigCountry | Head Hunters | www.wefarmpeople.com

• EthianEthian Member Posts: 1,216
    Originally posted by Illyssia
    Originally posted by Warmachinez

About the game: I only played for a few hours during a BWE, and I completely lost myself in the world, it is very immersive.

Well, the world is very instanced, though TSW isn't bad. I was closed beta tester, but I am not playing at launch. Game is a mishmash of esoteric and occult ideas. Ultimetely,t hough, it isn't anything particularly new, so as an mmo I think it likely niche to those interested in the subject of the mmo. There are some iritating features to the game which are touch upon in review part one, and also there are some bugs present.

My review score 7/10

my review of your post is a 6/10

"I play Tera for the gameplay"

• EthianEthian Member Posts: 1,216
    Originally posted by Method01

Good and fair review. 

I totally agree. TSW really bring something new and fresh to the mmo genre. The ambiance is indeed amazing. The sound, the music, cutsenes the very very dark environments, just makes me wan't more of this. Just love the horror theme. I said it before and i say it again. I really believe this mmo is one of the most important mmo's released the last years.

They dare do do something new. To challenge to player. Make them use their brain, when they play.

Agreed, hopefully this game breaks the mold of the genre and we less and less games like Tera/Rift/TOR

"I play Tera for the gameplay"

• MishakaiMishakai Member Posts: 105

I like the review.   Also like the game.  I purchased and downloaded it yesterday, and was able to snag about 3 hours of playtime before having to go to bed.  So far I've been pleasantly surprised.  I know 3 hours isn't nearly enough time to draw a solid conclusion, but I am looking forward to some more playtime over the next few days/weekend.. much more so than any other game I have played recently.  

• n00bitn00bit Member UncommonPosts: 345

I agree with everything aside from needing a respec option. It requires the same amount of experience to get an AP at every point the game. Later on, if you don't like what you have, you can literally fill out an entire innner skill ring in about 30 minutes. I've switched from blades, to blood, to elemental, to pistols all on the same character and still feel on par with characters that haven't changed specs at all.

• RobbgobbRobbgobb Member UncommonPosts: 674

About the game: I only played for a few hours during a BWE, and I completely lost myself in the world, it is very immersive.

Well, the world is very instanced, though TSW isn't bad. I was closed beta tester, but I am not playing at launch. Game is a mishmash of esoteric and occult ideas. Ultimetely,t hough, it isn't anything particularly new, so as an mmo I think it likely niche to those interested in the subject of the mmo. There are some iritating features to the game which are touch upon in review part one, and also there are some bugs present.

My review score 7/10

I have read your comments and it seems like you were not happy with the game or style. I don't know any other game that has story I like as much. I really enjoy seeing enemy target zones show to get out of the way and the active dodge. There is so many different ways to play that after a couple of hundred AP you can have different builds that do different things while still heading toward finishing your deck to pick up a costume. This doesn't seem like any other game I have played in any way except Chronicles of the Spellborn.

I would like more robust characters but then again they don't really bother me too much. I do try but not too hard as with clothing options then might not be exact body type I would like but most times I am looking at my backside.

My review of the game is 8 out of 10

Overall I am not interested in the esoteric and occult. I enjoy the gameplay and storytelling enough to play though it doesn't really appeal to me. Give me space or steampunk.

My review of your post is 0 out of 10.

• Originally posted by Senadina

I don't think it would be that simple to allow us to change our body types. Now I'm no programmer, but wouldn't that needlessly complicate cut-scenes and/or clothing sizes? Regarding cut-scenes at least, I figured that's why SWTOR didn't allow body size customization. On the other hand, Aion has the most extreme variation of body sizes you'll see, and it didn't seem to impact their cutscenes; there are very few cinematics though, not like SWTOR or TSW.

Actually SWTOR has body size customisation. You can choose between thin, athletic and powerlifter body types.

• KeushpuppyKeushpuppy Member UncommonPosts: 171

Most fun I have had since AC...

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,737

I thought character creation really sucked in this game tbh.....Everyone kind of looked the same and there really werent many clothing options at all.....It felt like a cheap f2p when I was creating my characters.

• octaocta Member UncommonPosts: 245

Hey Suzie, I don't think make-or-break means what you think it means.

• plescureplescure Member UncommonPosts: 397

GW2 has made a big noise about breaking the MMO mould but i genuinely think that TSW has more of a right to claim the most innovative MMO of the year

Funcom have dared to do something very different and from my 30 odd hours of gameplay so far i would say that they have been very successful!

If someone is talking in general chat in a language you dont understand, chances are they're not talking to you. So chill out and stop bitching about it!

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Given the amount of aggro people on the forums here used to throw at TSW cuz of it being developed by Funcom... I'm really happy for Funcom.  I always said I respect them for simply going against the grain and doing what they believe in and this time, it seems to have thankfully worked out really well for them.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• umcorianumcorian Member UncommonPosts: 519

Another fairly glowing review for a new released MMORPG. Suzie, one thing you and the other MMORPG.com staff does is sing the praises of every big-budget new released MMORPG until, suddenly, you stop doing it a few months down the line.

SWTOR is probably the best example. You and Bill just had nothing but positive things to say about the amazing game until a couple of months later, you started running the: "where did it go wrong" style columns... it was as if you never had high opinions of the game. 

I won't fault the Secret World framework that this site has adopted (no doubt, EA has written them a blank check when it comes to marketing), but glowing reviews of every big-budget product 2-7 days after release have become too expected from this site IMHO. It's something you might wanna consider. 

• el_furiosoel_furioso Member Posts: 23

Regarding respecs: Even points that were supposedly "wasted", were spent on passive abilities that can still provide synergy with other new choices.

My example: I started out with Blades + Elementalism as my two areas, really more for theme than anything else. I've been pretty effective, but these two sets don't work as well together as Blades + Blood, for example. So now I'm going to start spending AP in Blood Magic, but I certainly haven't wasted any time or points on what I've done so far. And there are some useful Elementalism passives that I'll continue to get mileage out of for the forseeable future.

The idea that missing a respec is a problem with TSW tells me folks are still thinking in a traditional MMO mindset. ...But TSW isn't a traditional MMO.

• UsulDaNeriakUsulDaNeriak Member Posts: 640

character creation is perhaps the worst part of this game. there are a few options, but most of them are ugly. so nobody uses them obviously. about every third female char i see looks more or less like mine.

atmosphere is great. i say this, even if i hate zombies. quests are well done. i am not a fan of the investigation quests, but most people like this type. the most important thing is, they try to avoid classic questhubs, which is a bit confusing for some people. but this makes the zones less linear. 

i am not a fan of the combat system including the skillwheel. it is more a kind of extended trait-system. i like a more tactical approach and i prefer a real open skillsystem, where offense, defense and utility are not mixed up in the same trees. the combat itself is fast paced action oriented as usual. nothing special here.

PS: i dont understand the complain about respec. there is absolutely no need for respec in this game. if you cant do a quest, because a mob is special. come again later with the right build and get used to this scenario. after Kingsmouth you are not supposed to beat every single quest 1st time in this game.

played: Everquest I (6 years), EVE (3 years)
    months: EQII, Vanguard, Siedler Online, SWTOR, Guild Wars 2
    weeks: WoW, Shaiya, Darkfall, Florensia, Entropia, Aion, Lotro, Fallen Earth, Uncharted Waters
    days: DDO, RoM, FFXIV, STO, Atlantica, PotBS, Maestia, WAR, AoC, Gods&Heroes, Cultures, RIFT, Forsaken World, Allodds

Originally posted by Axxar
    Originally posted by Senadina

I don't think it would be that simple to allow us to change our body types. Now I'm no programmer, but wouldn't that needlessly complicate cut-scenes and/or clothing sizes? Regarding cut-scenes at least, I figured that's why SWTOR didn't allow body size customization. On the other hand, Aion has the most extreme variation of body sizes you'll see, and it didn't seem to impact their cutscenes; there are very few cinematics though, not like SWTOR or TSW.

Actually SWTOR has body size customisation. You can choose between thin, athletic and powerlifter body types.

City of Heroes also has tons of control over body shape and height. This can be done, no doubt. And I'm looking forward to it -- no adjustment for height, shape or even age is disappointing.

My review score 7/10

...Are you sure you were playing the right game? Actually, very little of TSW is instanced; the vast majority of quests are right out in the open, with everyone else running around and on top of what you're trying to do. In fact, that's where some of the bugs are popping up -- multiple players activating the same quest at the same time causes the environment to freak out (See the Something Wicked quest in Kingsmouth for an example). There are some "Solo Instance" tiers within quests, and obviously the Team Missions (i.e. dungeons) are instanced, but the rest of the world is wide open. Which is pretty cool, I think.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

This is the best MMORPG I've played in the past 8 or 9 years.

I'm absolutely enthralled by it.

And BillMurray (lol) is right, there's a whole slew of character creation updates coming at the end of August (tentatively).

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

Just wondering, are all in-game civilians aware that their are monsters running around in the world and that their are three secret societies?  I'm asking because I thought that everything was secret but then I see all these monsters all over the place.  Can someone explain?