Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would $9.99 work as a sub fee for you?

Comments

• EndDreamEndDream Member Posts: 1,152
    Price is a non issue for me. I want to play a game I enjoy painting. Why pay anything to play a game you don't want to.

Remember Old School Ultima Online

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

9.99 wouldn't do subtantially better than 14.99. There's a reason why all MMO games are priced at 14.99 and it's a psychological one. When thinking on dollars, 15$ is usually the highest most people go while still considering it a very minor price that they wouldn't think twice spending, which is why we se the .99 thing all the time, since what we see in our minds isn't "just 15" but "less than 15". I remember reading an economical study (it was on a book, IIRC, wasn't able to find it online on a quick googleing before writting this) that most people see a very minor difference on whether they'd spend on something or not if the difference is between $9.99 and $14.99 (for example), but if the difference is $14.99 Vs. $16 then it becomes something we have to think over before spending.

BTW, I know lots of people will say they see no difference, obviously it's not something that can be applied to every individual, but it's an average of the general population.. :)

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Originally posted by Myrdynn
    Originally posted by ktanner3
    Originally posted by Mizzmo

Why is 15 bucks the standard fee for online games per month?

When you figure that question out, let us all know.  If MMORPGs only asked for $5.00 a month they would still rake in $500,000 a month on just 100k subs.  There must be some hellacious staff and overhead required on a monthly  basis to justify needing more than that.

if you have 100 employees, which is low for a AAA, all making a moderate 4000$ a month, thats 400,000$ a month in salaries alone, not to mention benefits, 401k's etc.  so basically your 100k subs at 5.00 a pop is completely unrealistic. 

it's all about getting the players yeah? If there is like 20+ mmorpgs out there, and most of them are going f2p then you have a problem when your still a sub based MMO. You have to now justify charging consumers that $14.99 sub when other games come out f2p as AAA titles now. While your correct in stating that it costs money for employees and it is unrealistic at $4.99, you still come down to the same problem. How can you justify charging that much money for a sub when your competition is not? The truth of the matter is if you have no consumers your getting 0 money. However if become more competetive by reducing it to lets say $4.99 or even $9.99, then some more players will flock to your game because its cheaper.

The best example i can think of here is this. You are driving in your car and you decide to fill up the gas tank. There is two gas stations on different sides of the same street. One gas station lists regular at $2.10 and the other lists their gas at $1.99 a gallon. Which are you going to go to? You can state that you don;t care however that is not the case for the masses. Most people will prefer to get that cheaper gas even though its down by only a little. Why? Well because its right next to it so why not take advantage of it?

If you want to build your game, you have to think small first then expand from there. Too many companies are deciding to make MMORPGs and just throw on that $14.99 price tag because its industry standard, even though their game is not worth that price. People then get turned off because of the competitive MMO's that are F2P or have better sub options.

TLDR: cheaper subs is win.

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

SWTOR doesn't warrant a sub, not any sub, it should have been B2P, period. It plays and feels mostly like a SPG, they should have stuck with that. They tried to go P2P MMO with what they had and look what happened. Tons of empty servers and a few healthy ones, at least until the 6 month plans run out. Clueless suits made up a story that was too good to be true

When you're referring to P2P games in general. $14.99 is somewhat standard. I doubt a lot of people would choose to pay at a slightly lower sub if the game just isn't worth paying for.

imageimage
  • starwarsnutstarwarsnut Member UncommonPosts: 230

its not the price that concerns me its the lazyness and incompetence of the dev team. F2p will not change anything if it does it will be for the worse not the better.

Until james ohlen and gabe ametegelo are gone its going to be a banthoo poo pie regardless if its free or not

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953

SWTOR is not an MMO, its a single player game with limited co-op and pvp. Therefore it should not have any subscription at all. Buy to play might be their best bet going forward instead of F2P but I think they already alienated too many players and most would not come back for free anyway.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

I'm to the point that $15 subs are just not worth it anymore..   If games went with B2P or F2P I might actually play them more, but for a monthly sub.. naaaa I'll pass..  Sure it would be nice to play Rift, SWTOR, WoW and EQ2 all at the same time.. spending maybe a total of 1 or 2 hours a MONTH in each.. But that doesn't justify shelling out $60+ for 4 to 6 hours of play each month.. I'd soon play Diablo 3, Tiger Woods golf and NCAA football for free :) 

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779
    Originally posted by TheCrow2k

SWTOR is not an MMO, its a single player game with limited co-op and pvp. Therefore it should not have any subscription at all. Buy to play might be their best bet going forward instead of F2P but I think they already alienated too many players and most would not come back for free anyway.

Limited Co-op?

WTF you talking about! Flashpoints, Hardmodes, Worlds bosses, Operations. You are encourage to group during missions for better rewards.

Even before 1.3 you can do premade PvP, it was annoying but you can still make it work.

You guys are still making the same excuse!

This is all OPTIONAL!

The players make it a single player game!  It's no ones fault but yours for not wanting to participate.

Not sorry if you are getting beat by the "Antisocial Boss," for failing to communicate with others.

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • starwarsnutstarwarsnut Member UncommonPosts: 230
    Originally posted by StoneRoses

Limited Co-op?

WTF you talking about! Flashpoints, Hardmodes, Worlds bosses, Operations. You are encourage to group during missions for better rewards.

Even before 1.3 you can do premade PvP, it was annoying but you can still make it work.

This is all OPTIONAL!

The players make it a single player game!  It's no ones fault but yours for not wanting to participate.

Not sorry if you are getting beat by the "Antisocial Boss," for failing to communicate with others.

Its not an mmo jus b/c you have flashpoints and ops and all that i can easily go play lord of the rings games on ps3 that are basically the same thing that tor is atm. FFS they just now added lfg tool and custom ui LOL. Still no raid assist.

You may think its an mmo and it may feel that way to you but to me and the other guy who you responded to it doesnt maybe in 2 years it might but it feels like kotor 3 with multiplayer add on. Just b/c i can do flashpoints/ops heroics doesnt mean its an mmo.

This game will be an mmo when the worlds feel alive and theres a sunrise/sunset when theres actual REAL server forums not half @ss pos ones like they have. When i see open world pvp with 50vs50 and an engine thats able to handle it then id feel like im playing an mmo. Atm its just kotor 3 with add ons

The players dont make it a single player game bioware did and they openly admit they want people to make 200 alts that all end up with no end game. Why is it in other games they dont have to encourage people to group but on here there having to entice you and do things to make you group? Its b/c the way the game is made the worlds everything its made and developed as a single player game with multiplayer add ons

• MavekMavek Member Posts: 138

I have been wondering this for years.  WHy hasn't any games lowered their monthly fee.  So many games that have declined could be faring so much better.  I feel somewhere between 8-10$ is the right amount.  Rift is the only game whose development cycle is worthy of a 15$ sub at the moment.

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

Once I play a game to the extent that I no longer find anything fun to do, I stop playing. I think I paid for 2 months (plus the first one included with purchase) on SWTOR. Enough time to play a character through on each side to end game, and then there wasn't anything else fun for me to do, so I canceled my sub.

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779
    Originally posted by starwarsnut

Limited Co-op?

This is all OPTIONAL!

Its not an mmo jus b/c you have flashpoints and ops and all that i can easily go play lord of the rings games on ps3 that are basically the same thing that tor is atm. FFS they just now added lfg tool and custom ui LOL. Still no raid assist.

You may think its an mmo and it may feel that way to you but to me and the other guy who you responded to it doesnt maybe in 2 years it might but it feels like kotor 3 with multiplayer add on. Just b/c i can do flashpoints/ops heroics doesnt mean its an mmo.

This game will be an mmo when the worlds feel alive and theres a sunrise/sunset when theres actual REAL server forums not half @ss pos ones like they have. When i see open world pvp with 50vs50 and an engine thats able to handle it then id feel like im playing an mmo. Atm its just kotor 3 with add ons

The players dont make it a single player game bioware did and they openly admit they want people to make 200 alts that all end up with no end game. Why is it in other games they dont have to encourage people to group but on here there having to entice you and do things to make you group? Its b/c the way the game is made the worlds everything its made and developed as a single player game with multiplayer add ons

Amazing you really known how to sink that in!

Oh, wait let me guess you are a true artist expressing your own interpretation of an MMO.

Did you really just sit there make up your own version or definition of what a MMO is! Holy crap, I am suprised you didn't throw in a graph with your opinion.

MMO

A massively multiplayer online game (also called MMO and MMOG) is a multiplayer video game which is capable of supporting hundreds or thousands of players simultaneously. By necessity, they are played on the Internet, and feature at least one persistent world. They are, however, not necessarily games played on personal computers. Most of the newer game consoles, including the PSP, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Nintendo DS, PS Vita and Wii can access the Internet and may therefore run MMO games. Additionally, mobile devices and smartphones based on such operating systems as Android, iOS and Windows Phone are seeing an increase in the number of MMO games available.

MMOGs can enable players to cooperate and compete with each other on a large scale, and sometimes to interact meaningfully with people around the world. They include a variety of gameplay types, representing many video game genres.

I dunno man, SWTOR sure sounds more like an MMO.

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • BardusBardus Member Posts: 460

Limited Co-op?

This is all OPTIONAL!

You can get in groups for Call of Duty. Does that mean it's an MMO? Grouping in TOR is only for the sole purpose of combat....only!

Do you not at all think there can be much more to an online game than smash and grab combat? Can it not also be a social network? There is a reason people keep saying TOR is lacking ANY community. There are zero incentives or even tools available for any social interaction. Where in combat groups to you have time to get to know the people your grouped with? Where are the chat bubbles so you can easily conduct conversations? Where are the server specific forums so people can build communities? Where are the tools so players can create their own events that encourage all members of the server to intermingle? Where is anything that is not just only getting in a group to defeat some combat scenario and then everyone goes in their separate ways?

Where is individualism? Why do I see another Jedi that has no choice but look exactly like me and has a companion that looks and is actually named the same as mine? Those things are traits of single player games where you know the story starts and ends the same for everyone so there is no purpose other than making it single player or it ruins immersion and ruins the plot. All Jedi, all smugglers, all troopers, all everyone else is the same stories that start and end the same. Choices only really mean how pissed or happy you make your companion. All the missions have the same endings regardless and pointless anyway once the story ends. They have zero effect on end game content. Where is MMO in any of that? I find those things in every single player game I’ve ever played but TOR is the only game I’ve seen that claims to be an MMO but forces absolutely everyone to be carbon copies.

TOR may be an online game and it may be massive and multiplayer but it is missing everything it needs to be massively multiplayer. IMO it is nothing more than Call of Duty with lasers and lightsabers and it will remain that way unless someone finds a way that allows people to be social and stops finding new ways to keep players separated and it must allow for individualism.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

No. Free would not help at this point. It's just not fun. Too simple.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

you are missing one option in the poll.....

No sub.

• VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555

I wouldn't even go back to this game if it was free.

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Limited Co-op?

This is all OPTIONAL!

Oh, wait let me guess you are a true artist expressing your own interpretation of an MMO.

Did you really just sit there make up your own version or definition of what a MMO is! Holy crap, I am suprised you didn't throw in a graph with your opinion.

MMO

A massively multiplayer online game (also called MMO and MMOG) is a multiplayer video game which is capable of supporting hundreds or thousands of players simultaneously. By necessity, they are played on the Internet, and feature at least one persistent world. They are, however, not necessarily games played on personal computers. Most of the newer game consoles, including the PSP, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Nintendo DS, PS Vita and Wii can access the Internet and may therefore run MMO games. Additionally, mobile devices and smartphones based on such operating systems as Android, iOS and Windows Phone are seeing an increase in the number of MMO games available.

MMOGs can enable players to cooperate and compete with each other on a large scale, and sometimes to interact meaningfully with people around the world. They include a variety of gameplay types, representing many video game genres.

I like how they always start with  "It's a single player game" and then dance over to "It's not an MMO" once that gets debunked. The truth is it's just not THEIR type of MMO. I grouped up in this game far more than I ever did in any other MMO. The game actually rewards you for grouping, which is why so many of us liked doing it.  Even the anti social types who are afraid to meet people and join guilds got their LFG tool in the last patch so there's no excuse for not socializing in this game.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• WildNature13WildNature13 Member Posts: 20

No, a smaller subscription wouldn't do it. Class balance would be the only thing to pull me back in.

However, I'm frankly getting very annoyed over people trying to lower subscriptions to games and/or make them B2P/F2P.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

For SWTOR? 

I'd only play it again if they wouldn't charge sub.... It's just not worth the monthly sub for me.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• lilHealalilHeala Member UncommonPosts: 522

I wouldn't resub for SW:TOR because it doesn't have enough social / fluff content for me (I stopped raiding and dungeon crawling in tiered gear progression games entirely) and the planets don't feel alive, exploration isn't encouraged nor aesthetically pleasing much. So I wouldn't play it much.

Its not due to budget problems, I'm currently not subbed to any game. But because I wouldn't play very often it doesn't warrant paying any amount for it.

If it would become f2p I'd probably still login from time to time to play some huttball though :D

• AtheenahAtheenah Member Posts: 58

A lower fee just wont make the game better, it is as simple as that.

• AtheenahAtheenah Member Posts: 58

Limited Co-op?

This is all OPTIONAL!

I DO NOT consider this an MMO. I, too, redgard it as a single player with co-op options.

MMO´s are so much more, especially social and similar perspectives.

How do you even roleplay in this so called MMO? Everyone looks the same with their same companions, LOL!

• Esquire1980Esquire1980 Member UncommonPosts: 568
    Originally posted by ktanner3

Limited Co-op?

This is all OPTIONAL!

MMO

I like how they always start with  "It's a single player game" and then dance over to "It's not an MMO" once that gets debunked. The truth is it's just not THEIR type of MMO. I grouped up in this game far more than I ever did in any other MMO. The game actually rewards you for grouping, which is why so many of us liked doing it.  Even the anti social types who are afraid to meet people and join guilds got their LFG tool in the last patch so there's no excuse for not socializing in this game.

I looked at your signature and found we have played alot of the same past games.  All the same for me, except War, and then you proudly state your favorite is TOR and least favorite is NGE.  To be honest, and full well knowing that likeing something is purely an opinion held via an individual, I have no idea how you can say NGE was so bad and TOR is so great.

I played SWG in pre-CU, CU, NGE, and post NGE (after C6CD) and TOR seems to me to be the "perfect NGE", made by some of the exact same developers, in fact.  The game is totaly linear in nature and "WoWified" to beat the band.  You can't even skip dailys or skip a HM flashpoint.  You almost MUST go down the path they have laid out to even play this game due to difficulty and/or gearing at end game.  There is NO appearance customization, that was found in SWG, even back in the original NGE while we were all wearing "droped" clothing for the stats, much less with adept-strain's appearance tab.  There is no exploration of just about any sort due to the "paths" created to lead you from quest giver to questing NPCs, all quartered off via cliffs and/or invisible walls.  (this was a large complaint about the wookiee world expansion as well as Musti back in SWG).

Everything is nothing but combat or clicking on 5 things.  There are no quests that doesn't include this in some manner, shape, or form.  (pretty same exact thing as in WOW, but the worlds there are at least large enough to get off the beaten path sometimes).  The UI, the shear amount of specials, the "rested" XP, the talent system, the quest until end game and then gear grind, even the augments are nothing more than WoW glyths and jewels, the no housing (or really any other area to call your own is another complete rip off of WoW - and please don't say "ships" that you can do nothing with other than just being another loading screen you have to go thru to travel).  I even got most of the legacy perks of 1.2 and you can't even have a choice in where to place the droid, the mailbox, bank, etc.  They go where they put them and that's it.  The ship for my Guard and the ship for my sage was EXACTLY the same.  None of my houses in SWG were the same, even if 2 toons had a bunker, they were very different in appearance and functionality due to just being able to drop something anywhere.  Even in STO, I bought the TOS interiors to be a little different than EVERY other ship interior that everyone else had.

Character creation.  Basicly WoW again, enough said.  Cryptic did a better job of toon creation and they have some cut-scenes, etc to pre-program the variations in as well.

And finaly crafting?  How in the world do you get ANY enjoyment in the TOR crafting system?  It's basicly useless at endgame except for the band-aids they're trying to stick on now (with augments).  At least in WoW, there are some items that are a little better than drops for the gear grinds to have at least some player made economy.  For the life of me, I simply can not understand why any1 would tout TOR's crafting system as anymore more than a useless credit sink.  Everything that could be crafted, you can pretty much get better by just looking for drops or buying off of game stationed NPCs.

TOR seems like the "perfect NGE" to me.  What these former SOE devs really wanted to do all along to SWG when they CHANGED it.  They just couldn't quite get ALL the "Koster goodness" out of it (like Rubenfield said in his blog) but they were able to get every drop of the "goodness" out of TOR.  To be perfectly honest, I much rather play NGE, ANYDAY. 

Please enlighten me, as a former player of almost the same games.

• PranksterPrankster Member UncommonPosts: 163

It would be awesome if games charged based on the service their providing. Wow could charge 20$ (lots of content) SWTOR could charge 10$  and then raise the price later (when they have more content).

The way the system is now its like paying the same price for Coke that you pay for RC.

Refugee from UO,EQ,AC,AC2,AO,DAOC,L2,SB,HZ,CoH,PT,EQ2,WoW,VG,SWG,EVE,WAR,DF,MO,AI,GA,LOTRO, SWTOR... Gw2 on Deck

• 3-4thElf3-4thElf Member Posts: 489

I'd play just about any themepark for 7.99.

I mean 16 bucks here and there for access to a predictable game to enjoy with a couple of friends can be worth it.

This is true with any of them. 14.99 tho' is a standard.

These last few themepark titles haven't been up to standard.

a yo ho ho