Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is TSW the best MMO ever made?

Comments

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Garvon, sounds like you haven't played and are assuming its a corridors and cutscenes game like swtor.

Sure there are solo instances, but it ain't no swtor. The game encourages grouping with higher loot drops, rock hard quests, state system synergy and well the way you actually regularly bump into other players compared to swtor.

It encourages pre made parties of small groups of people NOW AND THEN.

But since almost all the gameplay is in an instance, there is no general socializing.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

"Best" is relatively to who you ask.

I however think Meridian 59 is the best MMO ever made.. Why? Because all mechanics it invented are still around in most MMOs 16 years after it´s release. It invented the trinity and so much more almost every MMO have.

Of course it would be nice with something even better but I don´t think TSW really measures up to it. GW2 might but I am not so sure there either, we will have to wait and see what game that will influence the market most in the future.

The biggest expectations I have is however not GW2 or WoDO but "Class 4". That game have the potential to be a gamebreaker as big as M59 and might change the genre forever.

You might think that how much a game have influenced others isn't the perfect way to measure how good it is and that is true, but it is at least something you can measure and it seems fairer than sub numbers or money earned.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    It's not "almost all the game play is in an instance"

Again if you were talking swtor, that might be true, it sure felt like I spent 75% of my time in that on my own in an instance.

Tsw its maybe like 1 in 10 quests that put you in a solo instance, and even then its something like 1 or 2 stages out of a chain of 6.

Tsw is not "mostly in instances"

It's no more or less instanced than gw2.
    1 in 10 main quests. Counting the side quests / item quests, probably more like 1 in 20
  • MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

I'm just going to go out there and say that this is the most fun I have *ever* had in a *themepark* MMO.  As you can see from my past posts (and my sig below), I prefer sandbox or hybrids, but I'm really loving TSW.  I'm taking my time, exploring all the areas that are so beautifully put together, and I'm doing all the quests.  I have a ton of content ahead of me, and I can't wait to see what's coming next out of Ragnar's team.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• PudsyPudsy Member Posts: 34

first of all the "Best MMO" ever made, does not go to a F2P model within 6 six months... which is more than likey what will happen with the secret world, as it is more of a single player(solo story) based game, and does not need the monthly subscription fee..

2ndly..

"Funcom is an independent developer. They don't have the marketing muscle of LucasArts or Blizzard."

... FUNCOM WAS PUBLISHED BY EA... EA..

• Skeeter50Skeeter50 Member UncommonPosts: 147

HI, my second post here at the MMORPG and glad to be here.

It is nice to see such a good discussion in this thread considering the title. This alone leads me to think that maybe TSW has reached even some of the haters that have been "failcoming" many discussion in the past.

Have a great day, and don't be Grim Bra.

• MouthMouth Member Posts: 113

Pudsy: Fucom was not published by EA, EA Partners is a co-publisher of the game, is all. Funcom is 100% the developer and EA helps with box sales. EA has no ownership in Funcom.

• BigRock411BigRock411 Member Posts: 299
    Originally posted by Mouth

Pudsy: Fucom was not published by EA, EA Partners is a co-publisher of the game, is all. Funcom is 100% the developer and EA helps with box sales. EA has no ownership in Funcom.

People refuse to understand this.

EA = Ships boxes and gives people the option to buy on orgin or whatever their online distrabution is.

I chose buying from funcom, got a worse deco pet (yeah those buffs only last a limited amount of XP gained) and mabey payed a dollar or two extra, but i cut EA out of the equation.

Really not sure why they even let them put the logo on the box and in game...unless they got paid for allowing.

EA has no say on anything related to content design or direction of the game, which is probably why were going to see free content added before the first free month is up.

• RylahRylah Member UncommonPosts: 194

I'm not sure if it is the best MMORPG ever made, but it is definitely one of the best games I personally ever played (and that were a lot).

• FaynthFaynth Member Posts: 237

Hard to say whats the best... I could say Rift does sooo many things right it copied all mechanics that work and evolved into doing pretty much everything right. Do i play it? no. I see that its all great and all but i dont feel the need to play it.

TSW invites to do something interesting once in a while and has great immersion. Lore and all that . i like reading up on stuff but does that make it the best? by what standarts?

TSW is a good game. So is Rift. and all my MY standarts.

• CantorageCantorage Member Posts: 186
    Originally posted by Pudsy
    2ndly..

"Funcom is an independent developer. They don't have the marketing muscle of LucasArts or Blizzard."

... FUNCOM WAS PUBLISHED BY EA... EA..

Sick of hearing this ignorant misinformation being spread around. EA is the distributor of physical copies of the game, and in North America only.

Funcom is the SOLE PUBLISHER AND DEVELOPER OF THE SECRET WORLD!

• PenetratorPenetrator Member Posts: 4

Way to early to say it is the best or one of the best, but I am really having fun so far :-)

I guess I will be resubbing for a month, then I take a break playing GW2. In October I come back to TSW, and then maybe in November I can make a conclusion on my behalf. I am quite sure it will be in my top 5 list though.

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

only if courtney love is the best female singer ever

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by azmundai

only if courtney love is the best female singer ever

No, but she is definitely the classiest.

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    Originally posted by Siveria

Not really. its just the newest wow-clone out, plays pretty much just like it, nothing special to see here really sadly. I was going to buy it till I played it and relized it was just yet another wow-like mmo with nothing really unique. I got bored pretty fast cuz like most mmo's that have come out since wow, it had to much of a "been there done that" feeling right from the start. I really don't know why people keep saying mmo's are great these days when every mmo is pretty much the same game in a new skin. Its kinda sad too because I had hopes for TSW.. I am just glad I didn't waste 50-60 bucks on yet another boring wow-clone mmo.

Though I do have to admit the setting is kinda nice and diffrent, and I really liked the UI, but not enough good points to TSW to warrant me buying it, not to mention the game is pretty piss-poorly optimized, and the load times are atrocious when you consider the graphics aren't all that great. MMO's have been on a sharp decline in quality/gameplay since wow came out, the devs just seem to be getting lazy. I've pretty much lost interest in the genre until it comes out of this cesspool of wow-cloning its currently stuck in.

LMFAO LOL You never played TSW to make those types of comments.

This is NOTHING like a WoW Clone get real, WoW is a cookie cutter mmorpg , where everything is super frigan easy, then you dare put TSW in that same category? TSW has a challenge to it , and a skill set to it as well, don't believe me? Play it and reach your factions 13th rank plus unlock all the skill wheel, I have been playing this game since early access and have only unlocked 33.5% of the skill wheel myself and have missied alot of stuff in other zones that I am going back to, unlike in WoW alot of the missions in TSW do not hold your hand, you want rainbows and lolipops? Go play your World of panda craft, if you want a true adult ( and I repeat , Adult ) MMORPG with interesting mysteries to solve , cool action missions that not one is like the other ( WoW ) and even have mobs that are immune to certain damage types, either it be melee , range magic ect ect so to deal with those types of missions is to think on your feet and switch your tactics kind of game, then TSW is for you, but if you can't stomach the challenge then don't bother , but don't come here claiming it's a WoW Clone because the only mmo you have played is clearly wow!

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Wait until the majority of players have gone through all the missions / quests.

I liked the Beta, its a good game for single player fun. Best MMO? Not by a long shot. I doubt it will keep player attention for much longer than 2 months. Especially with other games on the horizon.

No

It has the best quests ever made though
  • BigRock411BigRock411 Member Posts: 299
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    No

It has the best quests ever made though

Certainly the most interesting lore and best delivery of a story to date.

Its definately a game who takes a step in the right direction rather than the typical lock step march the industry as a whole is taking...that goes for themeparks and the sandboxes as well...

Needs more pvp "stuff" a guild vs guild system that would allow mutual FFA pvp to be declared between warring cabals with a territory war/seige mechanic.  Needs the raids added in mabey 3 more locations with three more maps per location...more hard mode dungeons...and one absolutely unique mechanic that no ones ever dreamed of...then it will be the best mmorpg ever made.

Its got some work that needs to be done and the content will come with time.  Mabey in 2 year it might eventually become the best mmorpg ect...but right now its only a step in the right direction.  It has more going for it than most new and soon to be relased games.

It will probably never achieve wow sub numbers simply because it lacks the "freny" feeling in game...its a very relaxed pace that makes it feel ok to just wander around with no goal between missions...theres no rushed feeling to endgame even if ive heard nothing but wonderful things about nightmare dungeons and open world elite boss hunting. Also..different scares people, the very same people screaming for something new and different are usually the ones who hate different the very most ive found.

• KhaerosKhaeros Member Posts: 452

It's one small step in the right direction (and one giant leap for Funcom kind), but it's hardly close to a good game.  Considering that the only good video game ever made is Planescape: Torment, MMOs still have a way to go.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

TSW is based on consumable content (non dynamic, non emergant) and the (hopefulyl) steady release of new content via subscription fee.

Outside of that, gear grind instanced PvP and rinse/repeat dungeon/raid schema popularized by EQ.

Answer is no, no TSW is not the best MMO ever made.

• MattVidMattVid Member Posts: 399

The best MMO ever? /laugh

The "best MMO ever" was the first one I played, EverQuest. Nothing will ever live up to the nostalgia I had in that game. At least so far :P

I haven't played enough to have it "grow on me", but the combat is dumb and the dungeons are easy mode (well, I have only played Polaris). If it felt more difficult and less spammy, it might be up there. But it isn't.

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203
    Originally posted by BadSpock

TSW is based on consumable content (non dynamic, non emergant) and the (hopefulyl) steady release of new content via subscription fee.

Outside of that, gear grind instanced PvP and rinse/repeat dungeon/raid schema popularized by EQ.

Answer is no, no TSW is not the best MMO ever made.

This is exactly the wrong way of answering the question, because it argues that a set of features is invariably better than the other, and thus it categorically dismisses a certain design.

By your definition, a finite-content design game such as an adventure game (say, The Secret of Monkey Island) can never be better than something like Fallout New Vegas... Or Baldur's Gate can't be better than Morrowind. Even in something inherently subjective as criticism, that's called outright "preference".

Of course, one might say, "yeah, but an MMO is supposed to last for a long, long time..."  

And with that I'd disagree as well. There's nothing inherent to the MMO genre that dictates a game has to be played for years to be enjoyable.

I don't think TSW is the best MMO ever made - not by a long shot - but the story-focused or developer-content-driven nature of it is not the reason.

• ezduzitezduzit Member Posts: 112

Theres no way this community will label TSW as the best MMO. I hate to say this but they (we) are too hard headed. Picky, spoiled, always complaining. Distorted facts as the result of real opinions mixed in with posts made by 15 year old WoW players. Or just players that ONLY played WoW and think they know it all.  

• ezduzitezduzit Member Posts: 112

I'll tell you what this game is. It's not a sandbox but a themebox. A taste to the truth. A hint to every WoW fan that Sandbox players were right! I can't wait for the next full blown Sandbox. Until then, I do consider this game the best MMO ever. 

Finally, a complex game. 

This discussion has been closed.