Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is TSW the best MMO ever made?

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

Oh I don't get the combat comments, especially the "gw2 guy" saying you can just stand there and spam a rotation. No you can't, you have to move, if you stand and spam you will die, lots. Another reason why I probably find the pve in this more enjoyable than any other mmo I've played, you kinda have to pvp the mobs.

agreed... They did make all abilities capable of being used on the move for a reason... If you saw my video I play pve similar to pvp in how I move around which makes combat a ton more enjoyable than most other MMO

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

Not the best MMO evermade. I still feel Everquest > TSW hehe xP

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

No but probably the best mmo since vanilla WoW.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• BhorzoBhorzo Member Posts: 192

Dunno if it's the best MMO ever made.

But it's certainly the best MMO I've ever played!

• nGumballnGumball Member Posts: 21

There is already reports saying that TSW´s areas are empty late night which is not that great sign since the game is so new. Don´t get me worng now, TSW is a really great game, however it is not the revolution that could reach or even be near the title as the '' best MMO ever made, to date ''!

Great, unique and interesting but it is still another '' kinda '' traditional MMO in many aspects. WoW was the last MMO that '' made '' a revolution and changed the MMO-industry. The question is now, when will the new '' revolution '' come ? 

The real challenge for this game will be when GW2 launches. How will TSW hold the attention of the MMO-public when the most hyped game of the year ( nd prob on of the most hyped games ever ) will be presented for the millions of fans around the globe ?! There´s a chance that GW2 may not be '' THAT '' great, or even fail like '' Warhammer '' but this chance is so low after what the have seen in the betas. So far Anet have promised .. and made these promises a reality.

We just have to wait and see ..

• DeepfallDeepfall Member UncommonPosts: 51
    Originally posted by nGumball

There is already reports saying that TSW´s areas are empty late night which is not that great sign since the game is so new. Don´t get me worng now, TSW is a really great game, however it is not the revolution that could reach or even be near the title as the '' best MMO ever made, to date ''!

Great, unique and interesting but it is still another '' kinda '' traditional MMO in many aspects. WoW was the last MMO that '' made '' a revolution and changed the MMO-industry. The question is now, when will the new '' revolution '' come ? 

The real challenge for this game will be when GW2 launches. How will TSW hold the attention of the MMO-public when the most hyped game of the year ( nd prob on of the most hyped games ever ) will be presented for the millions of fans around the globe ?! There´s a chance that GW2 may not be '' THAT '' great, or even fail like '' Warhammer '' but this chance is so low after what the have seen in the betas. So far Anet have promised .. and made these promises a reality.

We just have to wait and see ..

We can only hope it will survive GW2. Everquest 2 survived World of Warcraft. (but I think the list starts and ends there for the mmo released with WoW)

Personnally, since SWG only two games were capable to grab me for more than 20 minutes. Diablo III and Global Agenda. I still love video games, spend tons of time on forums, I just don't like playing.

However, TSW did very well until now. I enjoyed each minute of the time I spent playing it. I'm only scared of the end-game. I hope it won't be like TOR. (I never reached it, got disgussed before.)

• ZigZagsZigZags Member UncommonPosts: 381

To the OP. Ask yourself the same question in 90 days. Your answer may be radically different. I remember thinking to myself how many MMOs were "the best MMO ever" in the first few weeks....only to eventually find enough flaws and get bored and move on. We need to wait and see how quick Funcom fixes bugs, adds new content and exceeds player expectations. That analysis takes 90 days minimum.

Dragnon - Guildmaster - Albion Central Bank in Albion Online

www.albioncentralbank.enjin.com

• Preacher26Preacher26 Member UncommonPosts: 381

There is a solid foundation for sure but you'll always have those people that compare it to games that have been out for a decade and have had years of content updates.

What worries me is this game and its systems have amazing potential... but I felt that way about AoC.. still do. That game had so much dang potential to be an amzing game and they completely dropped the ball.

If Funcom continues to fix bugs, expand on current features and continue rolling out content as well as some important features not in the game atm (LFG tool etc) then this could be a serious hit.. speaking long term.... or history/funcom could repeat itself and subs could drop 75% in the next 3 months.

Ill wait and see. For now its such a nice change im having a blast. If Funcom plays it right I'll be around for a while.. if not I'll move on to GW2.

Hate seeing games that have the potential to be something amazing... crash and burn. I have my fingers crossed for this one.

• Mari2kMari2k Member UncommonPosts: 367

Not even close.

The most you do in a (modern) mmo is fighting, and the combat system just sucks here.

• Preacher26Preacher26 Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by Mari2k

Not even close.

The most you do in a (modern) mmo is fighting, and the combat system just sucks here.

Thats why Tera is doing so amazing atm?

There is much more to an mmo than combat and even tho TSW does have the generic themepark tab targetting combat that can be found in 98% of mmos out there it has alot of other key features that seperate it from the rest. No its not revolutionary in that aspect (combat) but how many successful mmos are there currently with more innovative combat?

Better combat was in AOC (imho) and it become niche.. most say it failed... and Tera... another example.

GW2 combat will top it for sure, but for skill system it doesnt come close.

Thing about TSW is its a breathe of fresh air. People are sick of the same old same old and they gave us something new. isnt that what we have all been begging for?

Best no, but great game nonetheless. Launch is not the time to determine its worth, lets see what happens in the next 6 months.

• BigCountryBigCountry Member Posts: 478

GW2 is tab lock target based also? How is that any different?

BigCountry | Head Hunters | www.wefarmpeople.com

• DeepfallDeepfall Member UncommonPosts: 51

Oh dear, can a moderator add GW2 to the banlist of the words forbidden to write outside the Guildwars 2 forums?

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

It's a great game to many, good to others and some players just dont get it or absolutely hate it.

To become the best mmo, it takes a test of time to prove itself.

I like the game cause it breaks the high fantasy crap mold, the market is just saturated with wannabe WoW's with a twist.

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

I think it is second best MMO ever made right after EVE Online. The first theme-park MMO that overtaken WoW for me. And Ive played every single decent online game on market.

To people who think combat in TSW is horrible, you have to play more and get more skills to love it. For me attitude to combat was changing in this progression: 

Dafuq is this shit -> Well, not that bad as it looked -> Its really nice actually -> I love it!!

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

There was and is not best mmorpg yet.
    Some have a high level of craftmanship and stand out partially of the crowd.
    But its divided over a handfull, maybe up to a a dozen mmos that excel in one part and be only average or even below in other parts of their game.

TSW is very good though for what it is and i expect to spend some of my mmo time in it for a long time to come and got me a lifetime account.

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• ArawulfArawulf Guest WriterMember UncommonPosts: 597

I think TSW is itching where a lot of folks wanted to be scratched... and this is a good thing.  I'm glad folks are enjoying it.  It's not my cup of tea, but it looks like a winner for plenty fo folks.

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

No, because it's not even really an MMO. The vast majority of the game is instanced and singleplayer.

On top of that, while it has some interesting quests, a LOT of gameplay is pulled from WoW still.

• XanderxavierXanderxavier Member UncommonPosts: 25

Depends entirely on your point of view, but if you like using your brain and thinking about things then quite possibly yes, thusfar it is indeed, saying its the best ever made is the stretch but frankly saying any of the best mmo's are actually the best is a stretch, as all mmo's have problem's tsw is certainly a unique mmo that provides an as of yet unbridled experience its graphics are superior to every mmo with the sole exception of Entropia Universe atm as funcom's engine(first seen in age of conan) is quite nice and has reached a nice mature level where it looks pretty good but is no longer only capable of running on high end machines as it was with conan.

It has good pvp thusfar but it certainly could use more, though the stories and investigations do mean for those who love puzzles and using their brain tsw is currently the best game out thusfar, but it remains to be seen as players carefully make their way through 5 years worth of carefully crafted content when the average player does actually hit end-game if funcom can supply enough fresh content to keep the game fresh, raid's are fun pvp is fun, but tsw will not do to well long-term if all it can offer is traditional raid/pvp battleground end-game, it will need to be supplied with regular fresh content, its very high quality gameplay experience as you make the way through the game must not cease when you make your way through it else it may suffer the same fate as SWTOR, everyone cleaned through the content in record time because it was great, then the end-game of repetitive pvp and one lousy planet that you needed to do lots of reptitive pvp to have gear suitable for to also repetitively play seamed all the more pathetic after the great levelling up experience.

I just hope funcom have learned from their earlier games and have a long-term regular content pipeline in the works, taking a leaf from Star trek online's episodes book would be best for them, weekly fresh content in addition to raid locations, occasionally playfield additions and pvp improvements may offer an end-game capable of retaining many where without the content it may be a different story

No, because by the very nature of how instanced it is, it fails entirely at being an MMO.

Maybe a decent game if they called it something else and didn't charge a monthly fee.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

Ask the question in 8-10 years time. If plenty of people are still playing it and going back to it after finding the newer games duff, then it might stand up there or there abouts, perhaps.

Personally for me though, nope, it is a slick game but that's about it, it doesn't feel to me much like a world at all.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Pve wise its the best mmo I've played, because its varied and hard and doesn't feel grindy with a progression system more like a sandbox game.

But....

It's still behind daoc, eve and planetside for me as I prefer pvp "endgame". I'm really enjoying it while "leveling" but I can't see myself playing it for 4 years like I did daoc because a) its attracted the elitist pve crowd so no doubt fu con will concentrate "endgame" on dungeon grinding which frankly bores me silly and b) the community isn't as good, though I doubt we will ever see a mmo again with as great a community as daoc, coh probably being the last one.
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Pve wise its the best mmo I've played, because its varied and hard and doesn't feel grindy with a progression system more like a sandbox game.

Seriously? Is that because it pretends to be a singleplayer game? I wouldn't call PvE good if it takes place in an instance. Not in an MMO. If this was just a regular game, then sure. But when I see something called an MMO, with a monthly fee, I expect there to be good multiplayer, and that does not exist here.

I hope funcom have some nuts, take on the feedback from oldschool pvpers on fusang, rework it to be more about holding facilities and introduce a couple more warzones, link them to the world via agartha rather than a jump to pvp interface so they feel more integrated and make them endgame alternative for those of us that gate endgame pve and all the drama and politics that goes with it. Take on gw2 in other words (with the bonus if having rivalry). Then I could see myself playing for longer.
    Garvon, sounds like you haven't played and are assuming its a corridors and cutscenes game like swtor.

Sure there are solo instances, but it ain't no swtor. The game encourages grouping with higher loot drops, rock hard quests, state system synergy and well the way you actually regularly bump into other players compared to swtor.
    Also the dungeons are the best I've seen, but that's not such a suprise, Aoc did good dungeon also.

Not that dungeons ate that big a thing for me.

Anyone's completed the first two dungeons, will tell you likes of wow or rift or whatever newb level dungeons are easy mode in comparison. I mean fight some pirate dude or fight cthulhu.
This discussion has been closed.