Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is TSW the best MMO ever made?

Comments

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

It doesn't have to be the best MMO ever made. That is not the definition of success. In addition, there are LOTS of metrics that people use to determine what they like...it's very subjective.

If you like it, then play it. Tell your friends about it. You don't have to bash other games in order to promote the ones you like; they should be able to stand on their own merits.

GotY and other awards do not determine what makes a good game. It's simply the gamer.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Its possibly one of the better Themepark MMORPGs ever made.. There have been better ones for me..

But its far off being the best MMORPGs that ahs ever been made.. For me its probally Ultima Online and other sandbox games..

Dont get me wrong i really enjoy TSW you can probally see that by my other posts but no I am afraid it cant claim the title if best mmorpg.

Best recent MMORPG sure :)

• BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811

In my opinion it's the best - for a MMO at launch. It's certainly a easy MMO to recommend, except the people who are into games like it are already playing it.

To say it's the best MMO ever made - well, it's just too soon. The post launch updates will be quite telling when it comes to how great the game really is.

I have had two friends of mine play EvE and none of them actually liked the game, but it's definitively the best in it's niche. I think TSW have claimed it's niche as well - but as stated above, the need to update the game post launch to keep the first place.

• BigCountryBigCountry Member Posts: 478

Definitely one of the best "themepark mmos" to come out, but definitely not one of the best ever (both themepark and sandbox).

It is a great themepark mmo for sure.

I am glad its doing well. Those of us who played closed beta knew it would :D

BigCountry | Head Hunters | www.wefarmpeople.com

• Method01Method01 Member UncommonPosts: 128

The game is great.. Im really enjoying it and i haven't enjoyed a mmo like this, for years.. 

But the best..? Hmm i don't think so. But one thing i can tell you.... IT'S GREAT!

What is most important, is that the game finally bring something new to the genre. This is what the genre needs. If it sells millions won't matter. They are doing something new and i really think other developers will look at TSW when creating new mmo's.  

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    One of the best for sure.

If we just look at the last couple of years worth of mmos, I would easily put it on the top of that list.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458

No. It has too many omissions, and is far too lacking in content to be even close.

• MouthMouth Member Posts: 113

which omissions saker?

• Hopscotch73Hopscotch73 Member UncommonPosts: 971

It's a lot of fun, and I'm enjoying the heck out of it. What it does differently, it does (for the most part) very well. 

Certainly one of the best of the past few years...

But the best ever? Let's not get ahead of ourselves! As others have said, let's see how we all feel about it 3 and 6 months down the line. 

The early game is one thing, the levelling experience another - and the endgame is another entirely. People can change their minds completely as they move from one sphere into another. We've seen that before with a lot of other games, there's no guarantee that the same won't happen here. 

• Suspect41Suspect41 Member Posts: 7

So far so good.  

Im not really into making this kind of call so quickly after launch...give it a month or then ask this again.

• TheTrueKingTheTrueKing Member Posts: 427

Before anyone jumps on me and says "GW2 Fanboi blah blah blah"  well I don't think Guild Wars 2 is the best MMO ever but I wont derail this thread with that topic.

@Mouth OP

I nearly completely agree with you about TSW.  I love the world, the lore, the questing and the Skill wheel is awesome.  The game is absolutely awesome. BUT...

There is one glaring problem for me and if this game could fix this one major issue for me, this would be my alternate game I'd play with GW2.  That one thing is what you spend nearly all of your time doing in this game: Character - anything to do with my character.  Moving, Attacking, Animations.  To me my characters never felt like they belonged within this amazing world.  The movements of my character feel so ackward and disconnected as well as the actually fighting combat is just so done... No need to move, hell when they disabled "dodge" during beta it didn't matter.

If they can match the world and lore design with actually good character design Id be all over this game but since they removed the "place holders" and it didn't change anything really I just can't do it.  I do not feel that the character's quality, movement, fighting, animations match the quality of the rest of the game and there for the game is far from the Best MMO ever made.

I agree that this game will be cloned and I hope to gad it is because I want someone, even if its funcom, to do it right.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by Suspect41

So far so good.  

Im not really into making this kind of call so quickly after launch...give it a month or then ask this again.

What's wrong with the game specifically? It is a FACT that TSW is the greatest MMORPG ever made. Why are you unable to see that? What about the game makes you skeptical about it's greatness? I mean, "it's" has ownership of greatness in that last sentence. That makes it a fact. And that's a FACT. Which makes the last sentence a FACT interestingly enough. FACT.

• Xstatic912Xstatic912 Member Posts: 365
    Ok but its the same problem we see with console games.. There's hardly any thing driving the industry..

Truly innovative ideas gets tossed aside by crappy sales numbers.. Skyrim hardly does anything new, but its been the most accessible elder scrolls to date, as it got new persons to play it... Fps, I don't need to say..

I love wow, and to this day I play it like 3 times a week, is it the best no, but to this day i've haven't played a mmo that's more fun in the long run, despite the changes that have been done over the yrs..
    There was once a small space mmo by the name earth & beyond, which I thought was awesome, next I know Ea came in bought the studio and close down the game..

The point is mmos will always copy some feature from past success, and the thing is none of them wants to be too different because of the money involve to make it..

I think if a dev made a mmo and say to themselves we are catering to a specific target audience and generally don't need a high sub count to stay open, then there is where the most innovation will come from.

If new mmo being developed are gunning for "Wow like" sub numbers, that the wrong approach.. Even blizz have stated they didn't expect wow to be that big.. The right mindset to have is, what can I do different but not be too weird, but fun over the long run.. You also need very polish product at release because most mmo players nowadays are also console player and they are use to polish releases..

later down TSW will be looked at as a game that tried "somethings" differently but wasn't executed right or didn't get enough polish..

Its not one of my top 5, but I can give credit where its due. It does have some cool concept (investigative mission), fooling person into thinking its not item based (your Q level item, is just a fancy way of saying item level).. Crafting is ok but drop rates outside instances are too low to get persons use to it.. 3 faction pvp seems to be coming the norm so that I guess is ok..

The trinity system should be done with, or if your gonna use it, put in a LFG tool with cross realm queuing or let there be npc bots you can hire outside the instance so as to make up if now tank or healer wanna join..

You know, one feature I would love to see in an mmo.. auto scaling on almost everything, eg.. if a lv 50 is asking for group and no one wants to group, what if that level 50 invites a level 10, then that level 10 would be now able to do the run with the level 50, the drops would be lv 50 but level 10 can save them if he desires.. And if the level 10 needs help the lv 50 has a choice to either scale down to his level or stay @ 50 and one shot stuff for the level 10 without a lost to Xp for the level 10... That would encourage grouping across all level..
  • udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

The OP completly ignored the one aspect of the game that you spend 90%+ donig and is arguably the weakest part of.  Combat.

Setting up a deck is not combat, mashing the buttons afterwards is combat.

The other issue I have with TSW is that it has near zero reason to create social groups.  People group up for power runs though dungeons than disband.  Once in a great while people group up to finish a quest than disband.  Any social interaction in the game is short lived at best other than cabals which unless you joined the game as a group are hard to find a good one.

As it stands I very much doubt TSW will be more than a 1-3 month SPG for me.

• corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341
    Originally posted by udon

The OP completly ignored the one aspect of the game that you spend 90%+ donig and is arguably the weakest part of.  Combat.

Setting up a deck is not combat, mashing the buttons afterwards is combat.

exactly.   they did alot of good things with TSW.  especially the setting and world. 

but in the end, to people who play games AS GAMES (and who aren't dazzled by dialogues/settings/themes), you know, for the GAMEplay..... this game utterly fails.  its an improvement that you can fire off abilities while running around at full speed, but in the end its your bog standard, no skill, no brainwork, level grind, RPG combat, where you actions don't hardly matter, the environment doesn't matter, your position doesn't matter, your aim doesn't matter, dodging doesn't matter.  only thing that really matters is how much time you sit on your ass grinding up levels.  and if you don't believe there are levels in this game, you have severe logic issues, and are the extremely gullible type of human that marketers thrive on.

pathetic combat.   thus for _____ gamers (insert something here that doesn't offend you), pretty much all its good points are invalidated by that SEVERE weakness.

all the kind of people that poo poo'ed Tera's skill based combat as non-important should be all over TSW, being dazzled by its new skin and storylines.  cuz its really kinda the opposite of Tera in most ways.

i hope it does well, to encourage companies to branch out and rethink things.  and i'm glad people who enjoy that kind thing get something they want.  i'm sincerely glad they broke the mold on alot of things (that are largely irrelevant to me personally).  but they really fumbled on the main weakness that really needs improving in the MMO world.  the combat.

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

• MaitraderMaitrader Member UncommonPosts: 389
    Well if thats the case, then mmos as games all fail. Do not sit her and tell me GW2 combat will be any different lol. You do the same there as you do here.. choose skills you want to use (deck) and finger spam them to win

• MishakaiMishakai Member Posts: 105

Well OP, if you feel it is the best MMO ever made, then I suggest playing it for a while because you may have just found your new MMO home for quite sometime.  I only have a few hours of play under my belt (stupid job, making me work for money), but should have plenty of time to play over the weekend.  

Too early for me to draw any conclusion, but the entire game feels like a breath of fresh air to me.

• JohnnymmoJohnnymmo Member Posts: 99
    So i dont believe the combat sucks as shown by aerowyn in the following YouTube video

Yes it is far from the complex pvp that wow arena needs for skill but a lot more accessible for the average mmo player. We Are not all as nimble with our fingers as you are Udon.

• corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341
    Originally posted by Maitrader
    Well if thats the case, then mmos as games all fail. Do not sit her and tell me GW2 combat will be any different lol. You do the same there as you do here.. choose skills you want to use (deck) and finger spam them to win

yes, pretty much all do.  if you think otherwise, i'm not gonna believe your ability to properly differentiate between TSW and GW2, since it sounds like you're saying you've played both and that they are the same.

from things i read, GW2 combat sounds a lot better than TSW.... if its NOT, then yes, its combat will suck as well. 

Corpus Callosum    

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

I was a HUGE fan of TSW, but I find myself getting more and more annoyed and angry about the game every day.

Honestly the state of the game as far as bugs and broken quests go has totally destroyed any sense of immersion for me.

The lack of some very BASIC game features like a cross server LFG tool that is so common in today's games makes me feel the game is not worthy of my loyalty or time.

After the 5th broken quest in a row today and begging for new dimensions I finally logged off and said screw it gonna go play some POS Korean F2P for a few hours because it is more enjoyable.

Get off your ass Funcom and get this crap fixed before Aug 25th or your done end of story.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

We're more comfortable with reviews (pro or con) that contained fewer superlatives.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• SebberSebber Member Posts: 221

yes, pretty much all do.  if you think otherwise, i'm not gonna believe your ability to properly differentiate between TSW and GW2, since it sounds like you're saying you've played both and that they are the same.

from things i read, GW2 combat sounds a lot better than TSW.... if its NOT, then yes, its combat will suck as well. 

He is just trolling, he is saying since you use your keyboard in GW2 to active abilities they are the same.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by sonicbrew

Not even close

a little bit farther than that.

• SkullyWoodsSkullyWoods Member Posts: 183

This is kind of a silly thread. Simple fact is that it's impossible to answer that question. For some people it will be the best MMO ever made and for other people something else will be the best MMO ever made. It's like asking if strawberries are the best fruit...but of course this thread will continue to grow because everybody has to prove their opinion is fact so I should just shut up.

#TeamVainlash
    Why did Marceline's dad eat her fries? I mean...cause she bought them and they were hers...

• NanulakNanulak Member UncommonPosts: 372

Personnaly, I will welcome you in GW2 after your buyers remorse wears off.

Nanulak

This discussion has been closed.