Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If WoW went free to play it would destroy guild wars 2.

124»

Comments

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

@OP

Lol no It would not.

To be honest after initial craze - it would not make big impact on WoW and on other games.

Seriously alot of mmorpg players have already played WoW, those who did not like it - would quit again quickly.

It would draw some of players from games like Tibia or some other asian f2p grinders - to check out 'what was so buzz about this WoW' - but I think many people WAY overesitmate any LONG-TERM popalrity that would WoW gain after f2p move.

WoW is old, many new games are coming,  f2p market is VERY tight, competettive and saturated already.  It is not 5 years ago and niche game like DDO that exploded in popularity.

Huge amount of players played WoW already and market is swarmed with f2p games.

Definately would not be direct threat to GW2 as well.

• joocheesejoocheese Member Posts: 845
    Originally posted by Hurvart
    Originally posted by dageeza

Wow going truly F2P would hurt a lot of games and flatout kill a few for sure but due to the B2P model and the differences in the gameplay and styles of the 2 games i do not believe GW2 would even be effected by it..

I myself loved WoW and have bought and conquered every expansion and played the game for years however i am so burned out on that game or any like it that i will not be getting or trying MOP..

Im sure many others feel the same way even with all actiblizz dislike aside..

Wow needs a complete facelift in the way they dole out their expansion packs is the same thing over and over..

New lands, new race, new class, no new toon slots, 5 levels, five dungeons and a new tier of gear to pursue, yawn...

Im seriously not interested in building a dam panda!

No game is truly F2P. It would be a charity and not a business. Blizzard is certainly interested in profit. WoW going "F2P" would not change much. They would have a plan to make more money than ever... Think about the RMAH in D3. Blizzard is testing microtranscaction ideas... I dont think a possible "F2P" version of WOW would be very nice. And people that hate advantages for money and "P2W" would probably have a lot to complain about.

Most people would probably think GW2 and its B2P with CS was more reasonable and less offensive.

And I agree...Pandas are a bit silly in a serious MMO. But if some people like them its up to them...

Download ROSE Online and/or Flyff; both are completely free to play. They both have cash shops but you are not required to purchase anything from them. It costs nothing to sign up and download the game. You say no game is truly F2P, those two are.

I believe WOW will end up being F2P with a cash shop. I do not believe WOW is worth buying anymore and quite frankly, I don't think they'll survive in the future with the B2P model; that's why I think they'll go the F2P route. Grant it, they'll "update" the game so that you end up finding yourselves spending money in the CS, but that's how they'll make their money.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

If WoW went F2P you'd be able to buy $75 monocles for your Sparkle Pony.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Originally posted by cyress8
    Originally posted by Derpybird

Except the development cycle would slow down even more. Their last content update was in November of 2011...

You're kidding? I hope to god you are.  That is freaking funny!  Man, that 15 dollars surely does go to quality content. 

And I hope you aren't going to GW2 if you have high content expectations - have fun with your 8 total dungeons.

• slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464

I think that anyone that has ever wanted to play WoW, at this point, has.  They are either still playing or have left and F2P won't bring them back.

• aries623aries623 Member Posts: 28

WOW will not destroy GW2. WOW is losing subscribers because its an old game that is becoming outdated every day. Even if it was FTP it would only get a quick jolt of new players who would become bored in week or two and quit. GW2 will keep players longer because its something new and a little different.

• FionnFionn Member Posts: 68
    Originally posted by Carnafex

Does it make sense that WoW is losing subs because of $15 a month ?

No, people pay subs for good games.  WoW is losing subs because it is old.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by Zorgo

Except the development cycle would slow down even more. Their last content update was in November of 2011...

You're kidding? I hope to god you are.  That is freaking funny!  Man, that 15 dollars surely does go to quality content. 

And I hope you aren't going to GW2 if you have high content expectations - have fun with your 8 total dungeons.

Hmm... you're not familiar with GW2 I see. Eight dungeons at launch, each with one story mode path which, when completed, opens at least three "explorable mode" (think hard mode) paths, resulting in at least 24 unique dungeon experiences. In addition, the game adjusts your level to the content, so those explorable mode dungeons will always be a challenge even at max level (80), unlike a game like WoW, which obsoletes each dungeon as you gear or level past it.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by nomatics856

Sad state of fairs this is true, I do not like WoW not for its gameplay I think its fun, but I do not think it needs to be pay to play nor does any mmorpg out here today, no mmorpg is worth it, none of them offer the sense of exploration or adventure or extreme content generating that games like UO or EQ had, basically WoW is now a 3D lobby where you want to que in with other players to take down a boss or do a dungeon run, why am I paying 15$ a month for this again? And not just WoW but every other new mmorpg out there today.

Mostly instanced, short lived crap. Thats whats wrong with WOW its no longer that go out and explore find new people, content generating game that it use to be, matter fact vaniella WoW was the closest we had to a sandbox game in a long time. Now its just go in walk around  town and wait to be instantly put in a dungeon, the dungeon runs are great, but its not worth 15 a month, if it went F2P it would dominate gw2.

If it went F2P it wouldn't steal a single GW2 sale.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Originally posted by Volkon
    Originally posted by Zorgo

Hmm... you're not familiar with GW2 I see. Eight dungeons at launch, each with one story mode path which, when completed, opens at least three "explorable mode" (think hard mode) paths, resulting in at least 24 unique dungeon experiences. In addition, the game adjusts your level to the content, so those explorable mode dungeons will always be a challenge even at max level (80), unlike a game like WoW, which obsoletes each dungeon as you gear or level past it.

blah blah blah - it's a nice variety for sure, but at max lvl you will have done all those paths in all 8 dungeons numerous times, ad nauseum in fact. Even if they have dynamic junk going on eventually you will learn those patterns as well. it may feel 'fresher' for awhile, but it will get old hat, just like WoW runs, just like EQ runs, just like nearly every mmo before it.

I'm going to play and enjoy GW2 just as everyone else. Maybe more so in fact. Because I'm not going in with any type of Utopian dream to achieve.

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

You would have to pay me to play WoW.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• ConsequenceConsequence Member UncommonPosts: 358

This thread is so dumb.

Have you been paying attention? Have you seen the amazing amount of hate the people who do NOT play wow have for the game? If you havent seen it, you must be new to the internet.

Do you honestly believe these people, which number in the millions and vastly outnumber the people who still play wow, would actually give WoW a chance if it were free?  I know they wouldnt. They money has little to do with why they dont play.

GW2 does not have the same level of hate. Not at this time. So please.....hush