Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If WoW went free to play it would destroy guild wars 2.

Comments

• ScarlyngScarlyng Member UncommonPosts: 159

GW1 did pretty well opposite WoW, and that was when WoW still felt kind of new.  GW2 will have a player base, as does WoW.  WoW going free?  Maybe once Titan comes out, but even if it is bleeding subs, it is still a cash cow ... just not as big of a cow.

Personally, I'd find it hard to find any real enjoyment in WoW if they paid me to play it.

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw

• IrusIrus Member Posts: 774

I don't really agree. I think WoW's biggest issue is actually the box prices and the fact that expansions (boxes) make other content obsolete. Which is why I'm playing EVE and will need special reasons to get MoP.

Generally, I do not think going F2P will help WoW at all because that is not its biggest problem. WoW already has trial up to level 20, scrolls of ressurection, etc., it's borderline F2P as it is and it's not killing anyone. People are just generally tired of WoW and WoW didn't do a very good job of keeping itself alife.

If I wanted to play WoW atm, I would. I don't play it because I believe it went meh since the TBC era.

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

I quite WoW not because of the buisness model (it actually saved my money by sticking to one form of gaming) but because I got tired to the same old mechanics and the endless raiding and grinding mechanics.  Even if GW2 was P2P I'd still play it because of the fun.  Just saying...

• IrusIrus Member Posts: 774
    Originally posted by Ambros123

Even if GW2 was P2P I'd still play it because of the fun.

Same here. I would have no problem with GW2 being P2P at all, the B2P model is just cherry on top.

• DarkVagabondDarkVagabond Member UncommonPosts: 340

Basically, 99% of the people who play F2P and B2P instead of WoW aren't doing it because they are poor, they are doing it because they don't want to touch WoW.

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

If WoW went F2P it would still be WoW.

Except there would be an with an even more intrusive cash shop. Hell, the RMAH was probably intended as a test to for market acceptance so they can include this feature in other games.

Except the development cycle would slow down even more. Their last content update was in November of 2011.

How does this equal the destruction of GW2?

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• spikers14spikers14 Member UncommonPosts: 531

Opening the floodgates to WoW would do nothing but hurt the game financially and further erode a volatile community. If anything, the move would hurt other FTP games, and what were once WoW subs might migrate to new games...such as GW2.

• TheTrueKingTheTrueKing Member Posts: 427
    Originally posted by nomatics856

Sad state of fairs this is true, I do not like WoW not for its gameplay I think its fun, but I do not think it needs to be pay to play nor does any mmorpg out here today, no mmorpg is worth it, none of them offer the sense of exploration or adventure or extreme content generating that games like UO or EQ had, basically WoW is now a 3D lobby where you want to que in with other players to take down a boss or do a dungeon run, why am I paying 15$ a month for this again? And not just WoW but every other new mmorpg out there today.

Mostly instanced, short lived crap. Thats whats wrong with WOW its no longer that go out and explore find new people, content generating game that it use to be, matter fact vaniella WoW was the closest we had to a sandbox game in a long time. Now its just go in walk around  town and wait to be instantly put in a dungeon, the dungeon runs are great, but its not worth 15 a month, if it went F2P it would dominate gw2.

Ever since WoW was released I have purchased the game 5 different times, and once the game went level 1-20 free I tried 15 different attempts to play World of Warcraft.  The game was just way to generic and boring for me.  I gave it a good old try and it never hooked me not even when I was going to be forced to play a character to max level when Blizzard offered me a job as a GM.  The game has never and probably will never tempt me, especially now that they've added Panda's.    I don't care if this game ever goes completely free to play I have attempted to play it enough, it wont happen.  Now on the other hand Guild Wars 2 can claim 95+ hours of my life thus far and I'm hooked, Infact I'm having a kool aid party come launch day, want some? 

Out of every game I've played and payed a monthly sub(Rift, LoTro, WoW, CoH, and many more), by far Guild Wars 2 has deserved it more in my book over any and every game that has been released in 10 years.  Just my personal feelings, though now that Anet has made their move making Guild Wars 2 B2P, now for sure games will have to offer something absolutely incredible to make me justify a monthly fee.

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

Topic is stupid. We dont need more stupid topics on MMORPG.com

• ZippyZippy Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,412

Nothing will kill the hype that is GW2 except time.  WoW going F2P will not kill that hype.  People want GW2 because its new and  a fantasy that they hope  will solve all their MMO problems and dislikes.  Gw2 is a game made and designed for ultra casual players not people that actually play MMOs.  Give it 2-3 months and those that bought into the massive hype will become bored and move on.  The people that are hyping GW2 simply do not have the patience or matuiry to play any MMO.  They will always be anticipating a dream game on the horizon and likely will never realize that the prolem is not MMOs but their own self.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

I'd love to see your explanation OP.  Lets have a look at WoW- Instanced gameplay, Based on all grind, dated.  GW2- World content, Unique WvW system, and sPVP, without any grind- also a skill based game.  Yea I'd say GW2 still wins. 

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    Originally posted by Zippy

Nothing will kill the hype that is GW2 except time.  WoW going F2P will not kill that hype.  People want GW2 because its new and  a fantasy that they hope  will solve all their MMO problems and dislikes.  Gw2 is a game made and designed for ultra casual players not people that actually play MMOs.  Give it 2-3 months and those that bought into the massive hype will become bored and move on.  The people that are hyping GW2 simply do not have the patience or matuiry to play any MMO.  They will always be anticipating a dream game on the horizon and likely will never realize that the prolem is not MMOs but their own self.

Man, you are really good at it. My respect. But I saw what you did there. Please go and hide under your bridge again, please.

• xr00t3dxxr00t3dx Member Posts: 275

Sad state of fairs this is true, I do not like WoW not for its gameplay I think its fun, but I do not think it needs to be pay to play nor does any mmorpg out here today, no mmorpg is worth it, none of them offer the sense of exploration or adventure or extreme content generating that games like UO or EQ had, basically WoW is now a 3D lobby where you want to que in with other players to take down a boss or do a dungeon run, why am I paying 15$ a month for this again? And not just WoW but every other new mmorpg out there today.

Mostly instanced, short lived crap. Thats whats wrong with WOW its no longer that go out and explore find new people, content generating game that it use to be, matter fact vaniella WoW was the closest we had to a sandbox game in a long time. Now its just go in walk around  town and wait to be instantly put in a dungeon, the dungeon runs are great, but its not worth 15 a month, if it went F2P it would dominate gw2.

Ah no. I don't play WOW anymore becuase I'm tired of WOW. It has nothing to do with the sub. Think man. Spend time thinking before you just blod out some shit that makes no sense. 

• Chase187666Chase187666 Member UncommonPosts: 138

I dont know about that, if WoW went F2P, I still wouldnt play it over GW2.

Thats just me though

• GamerUntouchGamerUntouch Member Posts: 488

I disagree, in some ways the only thing keeping WoW alive is the sub fee.

You play to ensure your 15 dollars is being used, and you keep paying because you don't want to waste all that money you've spent wasn't wasted.

Being F2P would kind of remove  the "need" to play a lot of people who are still playing have.

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362

I left WoW, and have no plans of returning. Panda express doesn't interest me at all.

The only thing that will kill WoW is Blizz. themselves. Ghostcrawler is just one of the reason I will not return.

GW2, as all mmorpgs, will have its' own following. Most mmo titles are still running today. Even UO is still alive. A mmo usually only dies when the company pulls the plug. That's what happened with Earth and Beyond. I would possibliy still be in that one if it were still running. Shoot EQ1 is still going.

I don't look for WoW or GW2 to die anytime soon. They will both live long, productive lives.

• Sora2810Sora2810 Member Posts: 567

You clearly don't understand how F2P works. If GW2 and WoW are both f2p; then play both. 

Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
    Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

It seems that some people think that the biggest thing working for GW2 is the Buy to Play business model, as if it's not worth a subscription fee and that's the reason there is no subscription fee.

That's just not the case. GW2 is the real deal. Massive, immersive world, unmatched game design centered around fun, rather than time sinks and features/systems that make playing with others a joy, rather than an annoyance. An over abundance of content, including a level 2-15 and 15-25 zone for each of the five races and at least two zones in every level range from there to the cap at 80. Dynamic Events, which are not just glorified Public Quests, further enhance the feeling of a living, breathing world and ensure that subsequent journeys through the same zone may offer up a different experience.

Did I mention it's fun?

I'll pass on writing a novella of all the things this game has going for it, from top to bottom. Let me just say as a 14+ year veteran of the MMO genre, who has become very jaded when it comes to MMO releases, I'm very impressed with this game. The game design itself is inovative, with many people who have played GW2 having trouble returning to other games. The content is plentiful and replay value is enormous. IMO, GW2 offers the most complete and compelling MMO experience since the launch of WoW and if any game has the potential for significant account growth and player retention, it's GW2.

The lack of a subscription fee just makes it easier for fans to wander in and out of the game, with out having to justify an ongoing fee or cut ties with the game if they decide to take a couple weeks to play the next big PC game to hit the shelves. The irony of GW2 is that if any MMO is worth a subscription fee, it's GW2.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• ZadawnZadawn Member UncommonPosts: 670
    Originally posted by Badaboom

Now its just go in walk around  town and wait to be instantly put in a dungeon, the dungeon runs are great, but its not worth 15 a month, if it went F2P it would dominate gw2.

Wow is dead to me. 

after 7 years it died for me as well R.I.P 

• HerXHerX Member Posts: 22

Look at me I have an idea how to make another "WoW will kill all" thread so that I can lure the haters in and single them out one by one.

Seriously, WHY continue beating a dead horse. If you wanna play it play it, if you don't don't. Wow will not go f2p before Titan comes out, you think blizz would kill it's cash cow just because you (and well most of us) got oversaturated by it?

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793
    Originally posted by Heinz130

being free will not make wow a bettr game

This. All day. The game was good years ago. It's a classic. But even the worse P2P MMOs to come out in the past 2 years are, IMO, better than WoW is in it's current state.

It's like comparing Limbo or LBP2 to the orignal Mario.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

you might like TSW;  but then, its not f2p.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• p_c_sousap_c_sousa Member Posts: 620

lol. like anyone want play GW2 cares about WoW, they actually hate WoW and WoW clones. WoW could go F2P that will not do any harm to GW2 player base....

people want GW2 because is lot diferent from WoW

• VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555

No. Everyone who has ever wanted to play wow has played wow at this point. I doubt if they went free to play that their numbers would spike at all.

1: "WoW went F2P!"

2: "Meh, I got over that game 5 years ago before it became a carebear cloud kingdom."

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

• VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555

Oh my! Can you imagine that board meeting?

OP "Let's go f2p to increase revenue."

Board "What?"

OP "Yeah let's give up an automatic $150 million dollars a month because if we do we will make more money."

Board: "You're fired." 

OP:    :( 

******** BTW it is "sad state of AFFAIRS" not fairs***********************

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!