Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who will sell most boxes? WoW MOP or GW2

Comments

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

lol you don't need to poll this, WoW MoP hands down, this is common sense or just plain old logic due to vast or superior numbers brah...quit trying to hype GW2 like it is even remotely in the same ballpark as the elephant in the room.  Its like comparing apples and oranges.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• bleyzwunbleyzwun Member UncommonPosts: 1,087

No options for doesn't matter to me?  As long as the game is populated enough that it doesn't feel empty and is fun for me, I won't care.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by PanDaZmOO

I voted MoP will sell way more and my opinion is not bias. I hate Gw2 and WoW both equally.. Terrible games that do not appeal to me at all and yes I've played both :).

Likewise

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• SebberSebber Member Posts: 221
    Originally posted by bleyzwun

No options for doesn't matter to me?  As long as the game is populated enough that it doesn't feel empty and is fun for me, I won't care.

If the topic diden't interest you, why did you click on the thread?

• IndolIndol Member Posts: 189

If you don't include the Chinese sales of MoP, this question becomes bit of a joke. image

GW2 will probably have more success in the western world than MoP.

You can't underestimate having no monthly fee.

• ValuaValua Member Posts: 520
    Originally posted by drbaltazar

come on i dont need a statistic,gw1 was within one million of behing equal to wow!this game is a way better game so at their worst they ll be equal to wow!but i suspect gw2 will outsell pandaria by a very healty margin

All Guild Wars box sales/digital sales came to 7 million.

Which is very far off WoW's 50-80 million box sales.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Originally posted by Valua
    Originally posted by drbaltazar

come on i dont need a statistic,gw1 was within one million of behing equal to wow!this game is a way better game so at their worst they ll be equal to wow!but i suspect gw2 will outsell pandaria by a very healty margin

All Guild Wars box sales/digital sales came to 7 million.

Thats true isn't it.  All we have are units sold, not actual players.  Wow gave reports of subscription count.  GW gave units sold.  Really is an apples to oranges comparison.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
    Originally posted by Indol

If you don't include the Chinese sales of MoP, this question becomes bit of a joke. image

There is no way GW2 will sell more than 2 million boxes, and even that is a high number.

WoW will sell an easy 3 million in western markets, possibly even 4 million.

If we include Asia, GW2 might hit 3 million overall, Pandaria will hit 8 million overall.

These are my predictions.

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646
    Originally posted by slicknslim88

The biggest crippling disadvantage that MoP has that GW2 doesnt, is that you will need to have WoW and every previous expansion in order to play MoP, not only that, but you'll need a level 85 in order to play the new content (excluding the Panda area, which is just a starting area).  However, it's biggest advantage is that it's WoW and everybody has heard of it.

GW2 is it's own game, it's fresh, it's new, it's happening.  That's it's advantage.  But with it being new, not as many people know about the game.

We'll have to see when they are released.

I don't see how this is valid?

GW2 will require you to level up to see all the content.

In WoW, you either already have a level 85 and can start right away or you get to play the older content (which is new to a person who doesn't have an 85).  1-60 has been completely redone.  It's probably the "best" content in the game.  60-70 is the oldest and goes really fast.  70-80 is a bit newer but still pretty bland and last I played it was pretty slow process.  80-85 is also pretty slow but the content is pretty good.

Long story short, either game will offer the same to new players.  WoW has managed to keep a huge community for 8 or so years and still going strong. 

The thread is about which will sell more and it's WoW hands down.  GW2 might be great but it won't sell more copies unless they prove themselves.

/facepalm

Even if you do it the wrong way with is 12 millions players times 4 (Vanila, BC, Wrath And Cata), it doesn't even add up to 50 millions.

If you do it the correct way as we are speaking about NA and EU.

4 millions( around the number of subs atm) times 4(expansions) = 16 million + 10 millions (for people who left), you will get 26 millions.

There is no way GW2 will sell more than 2 million boxes, and even that is a high number.

If we include Asia, GW2 might hit 3 million overall, Pandaria will hit 8 million overall.

You have much to learn if you think that GW2 is only going to sell 2 million copies.

Originally posted by Sebber

/facepalm

Even if you do it the wrong way with is 12 millions players times 4 (Vanila, BC, Wrath And Cata), it doesn't even add up to 50 millions.

4 millions( around the number of subs atm) times 4(expansions) = 16 million + 10 millions (for people who left), you will get 26 millions.

12 million x 4 is wrong.

and the way you did it is wrong too.

I believe that Vanilla WoW alone has sold 25-35 million copies, and that many people didn't continue with the game. This would be more true than saying "Only 10 million people ever bougth the game." A lot of people I know have tried the game, or played it for a few months, and then quit.

Then I think each expansion so far has sold 7-10 million copies each. That brings us to nearly 50 million. (BC - 10 million, Wotlk - 9 million, Cata - close to 8 or 9 millon.)

I could be way off either way, they might have only sold around 30 million, or they might have sold many more and be around the 80 million mark.

/facepalm

50-80 million is the number of people that have bought/tried WoW just like 6-7 million is the number of people that have bought tried GW1.  Neither number is the number of current players. 

WoW has stated a 30% retention, at 12 million players that is a minimum of 40 million boxes sold.

You have much to learn if you think that GW2 is only going to sell 2 million copies.

It likely will sell more than 2 million, but how many in NA and EU alone.  That was the question.

I have much to learn? Clearly you are a fanboy who thinks your favorite game will outsell everything.

I've done my market research, if we take WoW out of the equation (as we should, because it's leagues ahead of GW2 playerbase wise) then we look at the sales of recent MMO's.

First I'll look at a massively successful single player game, Skyrim, which has around 1.5 million PC sales.

Rift, which has very little marketing sold around 1 million copies.

The Old Republic (which had much more marketing than GW2) sold 2 million. 

Now, tell me where you get your sales figures from?

Does GW2 have a massive following? Not really, not as much as The Elder Scrolls or Star Wars.

Does it have a massive marketing budget? Again, no, nowhere near EA's for The Old Republic, but more than Rift's probably. 

I've made a well educated guess on sales. Whereas a lot of people on this thread haven't. Just because they enjoy a game they believe it will sell more copies than the bible.

The point I'm trying to make is, unless it is a Blizzard game, it is very, very hard to sell more than 2 million PC games.

Edit; Also, I was talking about western markets alone. If we take into account of Asia, then it will sell 3-5 million overall. Whereas Pandaria overall will sell 5-9 million.

Originally posted by VengeSunsoar

/facepalm

50-80 million is the number of people that have bought/tried WoW just like 6-7 million is the number of people that have bought tried GW1.  Neither number is the number of current players. 

WoW has stated a 30% retention, at 12 million players that is a minimum of 40 million boxes sold.

And then Asia left the building, im not saying that wow did not sell 50-80 million copies but they did not sell them all in NA and EU.

• dadante666dadante666 Member UncommonPosts: 402
    Originally posted by newbinator

There is no chance GW2 will sell more copies than MoP. And it doesn't have to. It doesn't need 10 million+ players to be successful.

sooo true

Originally posted by newbinator

There is no chance GW2 will sell more copies than MoP. And it doesn't have to. It doesn't need 10 million+ players to be successful.

True. It only needs to sell 10 million+ copies to be mega successful ;)

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

I dont think its possible for GW2 to really sell even half as many boxes as MoP.. its yet another long awaited expansion for WoW after all, and every WoW player out there is probably already saving their pennies up ready to buy it, even on pre-order, its one of the few 'sure things' there is, GW2 may sell over a million, it might even sell 2 million, though personally i really doubt it has that potential, MoP however should more than treble that figure just using NA + Euroland figures. GW2 isnt the next WoW. i don't think that was ever on the cards.image

• newbinatornewbinator Member Posts: 780
    Originally posted by slickbizzle

Warcraft has a ton of people that multi-box. So for every 1 person that does that, he buys 5 copies of the game.  Kind of hard to compete with that.   I still think GW2 will sell a decent amount though IF they do some massive marketing.

It does not have a "ton" of multiboxers. Just because you've seen a few streams of people doing it, doesn't mean it's common. I very rarely see multiboxers in WoW. They are easily less than 1% of the playerbase.

Originally posted by VengeSunsoar

/facepalm

And then Asia left the building, im not saying that wow did not sell 50-80 million copies but they did not sell them all in NA and EU.

I didn't say they did either.  But others were comparing the GW1 selling 6-7 million on the world market.  They did not sell that many in NA and EU.  Lets compare the same things.

Either active players of GW with active players of WoW or boxes of GW with boxes of WoW in the same defined geographic area.

I have much to learn? Clearly you are a fanboy who thinks your favorite game will outsell everything.

I've done my market research, if we take WoW out of the equation (as we should, because it's leagues ahead of GW2 playerbase wise) then we look at the sales of recent MMO's.

First I'll look at a massively successful single player game, Skyrim, which has around 1.5 million PC sales.

Rift, which has very little marketing sold around 1 million copies.

The Old Republic (which had much more marketing than GW2) sold 2 million. 

Now, tell me where you get your sales figures from?

Does GW2 have a massive following? Not really, not as much as The Elder Scrolls or Star Wars.

Does it have a massive marketing budget? Again, no, nowhere near EA's for The Old Republic, but more than Rift's probably. 

I've made a well educated guess on sales. Whereas a lot of people on this thread haven't. Just because they enjoy a game they believe it will sell more copies than the bible.

The point I'm trying to make is, unless it is a Blizzard game, it is very, very hard to sell more than 2 million PC games.

Edit; Also, I was talking about western markets alone. If we take into account of Asia, then it will sell 3-5 million overall. Whereas Pandaria overall will sell 5-9 million.

So the only selling point is if the game is made by a big company? Ohh seems legit.... Ohh and the game is Published by NCSOFT, so yes they have fuck ton of money.

The game is great and it's cheap. In the beta's there was 100 yes 100 servers, with atleast 5.000 people on each server. Hmm so that mean that since you have to buy the game to get into the beta there is already sold 500.000 copies. HMM, on Vgchart there is 182,444 pre-orders in the USA, and Guild Wars have a large following in the EU.

So if add those numbers up we have 500.000 who have already bought the game, plus 182.000 in the USA who have pre-ordered and then we add lets say 100.000 people from the EU we have.

500.000 + 182.000 + 100.000 = 782.000 people. See, if you think the game is not going to sell over 2 million copies you are blind.

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

The people who pressed "GW2 will sell way more" are SERIOUSLY deluded.

I'd be surprised if GW2 sells even half of Pandaria in EU/NA.

If we take asisa into accounts then GW2 will be lucky to sell 1/10th of WoW's box sales.

Look, I love me some GW2, and I have to agree with this.

Wow in its present state (which is a bit of a decline) has ten times the number of subscribers as GW2 has had pre-orders. Doesn't mean it's the better game any more than McDonald's is better than that fancy burger place down the street.MdConald's is more accessible and people know it. 

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    Wow

It still has 10mil subs, plus added players due to the expansion
  • FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

So the only selling point is if the game is made by a big company? Ohh seems legit.... Ohh and the game is Published by NCSOFT.

The game is great and it's cheap. In the beta's there was 100 yes 100 servers, with atleast 5.000 people on each server. Hmm so that mean that since you have to buy the game to get into the beta there is already sold 500.000 copies. HMM, on Vgchart there is 182,444 pre-orders in the USA, and Guild Wars have a large following in the EU.

So if add those numbers up we have 500.000 who have already bought the game, plus 182.000 in the USA who have pre-ordered and then we add lets say 100.000 people from the EU we have.

500.000 + 182.000 + 100.000 = 782.000 people. See, if you think the game is not going to sell over 2 million copies you are blind.

1- Not all the servers where full and not everybody who played beta will buy.

2- LOL Vgchart

3- 100000 are completly accurate.