Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who will sell most boxes? WoW MOP or GW2

Comments

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

While i love GW2 and despise WoW, there's no way GW2 sells more boxes.

Far too many people just can't let go of that game, which has all their friends and huge amounts of time invested.  It's understandable i suppose. 

It doesn't matter if GW2 is better, people don't like change and they certainly don't like starting over.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Voted WoW MoP will sell a lot more.

• SebberSebber Member Posts: 221
    Originally posted by Alders

While i love GW2 and despise WoW, there's no way GW2 sells more boxes.

Far too many people just can't let go of that game, which has all their friends and huge amounts of time invested.  It's understandable i suppose. 

It doesn't matter if GW2 is better, people don't like change and they certainly don't like starting over.

You don't need to leave WoW to play GW2... B2P

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365
    Originally posted by Rusque

If you're delusional then yes, you might think GW2 will outsell MoP. And that is coming from someone who prepurchased GW2 CE.

delusional would also be thinking you can and do know the future. it is good fun to speculate but i would not state and can not state with any confidence that either completely plausible event will occur.

it is possible that no game will ever outsell WOW ever again, due to a diluted industry, a dying genre, the destruction of our planet, or any number of reasons.  but to simply look at past data and extrapolate from that is mere extrapolation and nothing more -- it is not fact.  the first time a game outsells WOW will be a singular event.

i am open to the possibility though that you and others have divined this future knowledge from some arcane and unknown to me source.

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

I suppose it may depend on the timeframe you're talking about, but initially I have no doubt that MoP will sell more boxes simply because of the incredible loyalty that the WoW fanbase has toward the game. And it appears that they are throwing in every type of content they can think of for this expasion and have, I believe, shifted their target demographic.

Having said that, I expect an initial spike in sales at release (obviously) but declining sales over the next several months and declining subs after that initial increase. I expect sales for GW2 to remain steady or perhaps even increase over time, especially if they regularly deliver on content update/changes.

I hope that consumers are becoming more aware of what they are getting for their suscription, and I expect Blizz to continue to try and monetize every aspect of the game that they can, so we may begin to see some pushback.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651

WOW MOP about  5-6 millions in first week and GW2 about 2-3 millions

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

Quite frankly who cares, the majority knows which is a better quality game. 

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

Originally posted by palulalula

5-6 millions, "rollseyes", there is not even that many people playing the game in EU and NA

Originally posted by Chrisbox

Quite frankly who cares, the majority knows which is a better quality game. 

Yes we know. WOW

Originally posted by Sebber

5-6 millions, "rollseyes", there is not even that many people playing the game in EU and NA

Well you can roll your eye and wonder, but we stay subed in millions for more years. Enjoy your p2w :)

• WoopinWoopin Member UncommonPosts: 1,012

Hmmm dream on. Not even Cata did that many for EU and NA...

Edit Nevermind you are trolling.

Yeah I think the most current estimates are between 4 and 4.5m between NA/EU, but Blizz never breaks out their revenue numbers to know for sure. We do know they are making more money on fewer subs, but that's becuase of the virtual pet and mount sales as well as forcing people to pay rather large (IMO) fees for client services (e.g. server transfers from dead servers).

Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

Well you can roll your eye and wonder, but we stay subed in millions for more years. Enjoy your p2w :)

Why would you be proud of the fact that you continue to pay a monthly fee for a game that has not provided a content update since November of 2011 (and not a particularly good or large update at that), and is in fact making you buy the expansion on top of your continued sub just to have something new to do? That just seems rather odd.

Well if you wan't to go into that discussion WoW is P2W, it is a gear based game where you can buy GOLD from either Blizzard or Goldsellers. Hello wake up?

Ohh and what about that black market, where you can get the best gear in the game? Ohh so you can get the best gear in the game by buying gold for real money.

That game most be so FAIR.

• WoopinWoopin Member UncommonPosts: 1,012
    Originally posted by Derpybird

Why would you be proud of the fact that you continue to pay a monthly fee for a game that has not provided a content update since November of 2011 (and not a particularly good or large update at that), and is in fact making you buy the expansion on top of your continued sub just to have something new to do? That just seems rather odd.

Its like Mc Donalds , it is not good for you but the masses flock to it because it is advertised well.

Its like Mc Donalds , it is not good for you but the masses flock to it because it is advertised well.

No its more like here, do you wan't a quality meal for less price, or do you wan't the same old food you have gotten for the last 8 years for a higher price.

/facepalm

• MexorillaMexorilla Member Posts: 313

i wish this poll had a time frame on it.  a month after launch?  6 months? a year? 

i think like 6 million copies of Cata sold.  if half that buy Mop about 3million.  a AAA mmo with arguably the largest IP known to man reccently broke launch day reccords by selling 2 million.  i dont think gw2 will hit 2 million for a least a year it's just not that widely known.  i think after 5 years time gw2 will out sell MoP.  can you add that to the poll for me.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

I think in the end (If GW2 is realy worth is weight in gold) they might sell more boxes over a period of time.

Good mmo's are not hard to sell, if you create somethingt special and people love it, they will rush to the stores.

But any1 thinking they will outsell MoP before the end of this year is just fooling themselves.

Blizzard has a massive fanbase who dont care if a game is good or not.

Blizzard throws shit and the people eat it.

Blizzard throws a bone and people cry out of joy 

Blizzard let servers bleed to death and people pay 25 euro to transfer to the next ghostown.

Its unbelieveble aint it :P

But MoP itself might (low chanse but still posible) lose more people once again, cataclysm made 2 million players quit.

MoP is not something i want, kung fu panda and pokemon pets attracts little kids, and the community might say, its enough now.

GW2 can profit from blizzards mistake and pick up the more mature players, so who knows.

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

I put my d*** in every GW2 box so OBVIOUSLY it's going to sell more.

This is not a game.

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

MoP on launch. GW2 over 5 years.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514
    Originally posted by slicknslim88

The biggest crippling disadvantage that MoP has that GW2 doesnt, is that you will need to have WoW and every previous expansion in order to play MoP, not only that, but you'll need a level 85 in order to play the new content (excluding the Panda area, which is just a starting area).  However, it's biggest advantage is that it's WoW and everybody has heard of it.

GW2 is it's own game, it's fresh, it's new, it's happening.  That's it's advantage.  But with it being new, not as many people know about the game.

We'll have to see when they are released.

wow has no serious competition .and lol uptil the time till my brother is alive wow is going no where

• I think MoP will sell way more, but I hope GW2 will be a better game.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

This is a very interesting thread. It allows me to read deeper into the mindset of most of the community on this forum.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202

Guild Wars 2 shouldn't sell more than MoP at launch. For the game's entire lifetime then yes it might sell more but not at launch, in fact I think lots of initial sales can actually hurt GW2 instead.

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037
    MoP will do double the business of GW2. I'm buying both so you can trust my opinion as unbiased.