Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it me or GW2 PAY 2 WIN game?

Comments

• gainesvilleggainesvilleg Member CommonPosts: 1,053
    Originally posted by xenogias

Going by what you linked OP then no, its not pay to win. Why? Because you can get gold ingame. You can get materials and gear ingame. Which means you do not HAVE to use the AH for anything.

For thoes of you who are idiots and dont know what pay to win means. It means being able to buy items with real life money that you are not able to obtain any other way. So in no way can GW2 be P2W.

Now, thats not to say you can disagree with the cash shop or the model they have set up. But trying to call it P2W is just fail.

Sorry to spoil your asshattery and namecalling, but that is NOT the definition of pay2win.  If that were the case, then almost all of the Korean grinders would no longer be pay2win despite almost universal agreement that they are indeed pay2win.  A vast majority of pay2win games do not have a cash shop exclusive "uber sword of pwnage."  Many of them offer "items of convenience" that reduce the grind.

As an example lets say there was an "uber sword of pwnage" that you can grind for, but it will take you 1000 hours of pure boring grind to get it in-game but you can also just purchase it from cash shop.  That is how many of the Korean grinders work and it is universally considered pay2win.

Now I'm not going to reenter this debate again on GW2 as it was thrashed out months ago, but please stop pretending that you alone have the correct definition of pay2win.  The vast majority of gamers consider introducing massive grind and then allowing "convenience" items is also a form of pay2win.

GW2 "built from the ground up with microtransactions in mind"
    1) Cash->Gems->Gold->Influence->WvWvWBoosts = PAY2WIN
    2) Mystic Chests = Crass in-game cash shop advertisements

• p_c_sousap_c_sousa Member Posts: 620

would love to see lot of guys spend lot of money to buy gems just because they think now they will gonna WIN.

i love those guys because as far they think that way they are giving lof of support to Arenanet. 

• alkrmralkrmr Member UncommonPosts: 236

• timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865

so dear guy who posted the first post..

IF you had unlimited ingame gold.. you would still have NOT A SINGLE advantage because gear at each is the same (except different kinds of stats) and at max level its even more useless because you cant buy anything better then the gear ur wearing and u cant use the gold to buy stuff that helps you in pvp neither in pve (maybe some potions with small changes from the auction house or something).

And then the possibility of unlimited gems.. well.. gl with ur pirate cosmetic set and a walking golem banker next to you.. 

wonder if those items make you look better dead :D

Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202
    Originally posted by gainesvilleg

Sorry to spoil your asshattery and namecalling, but that is NOT the definition of pay2win.  If that were the case, then almost all of the Korean grinders would no longer be pay2win despite almost universal agreement that they are indeed pay2win.  A vast majority of pay2win games do not have a cash shop exclusive "uber sword of pwnage."  Many of them offer "items of convenience" that reduce the grind.

The problem is that Korean grinders have a lot of grind (hence the name) but GW2 doesn't have a grind. If someone uses an xp booster to level up faster it means he'll be higher level for events, unless they realize there is a downscaling in the game (Which makes them being higher level useless in the first place) they'll ignore half the content. In reality xp boosters in GW2 are Pay to Lose, you lose content. There IS NO GRIND in the game.

As an example lets say there was an "uber sword of pwnage" that you can grind for, but it will take you 1000 hours of pure boring grind to get it in-game but you can also just purchase it from cash shop.  That is how many of the Korean grinders work and it is universally considered pay2win.

You are missing the point yet again, you are totally misinformed about the game, maybe you think it will be a Korean grinder or something? There is no "uber sword of pwnage" in GW2 and there is no "grind" for items. An "ill-equiped" player can certainly kill a better equiped player in WvWvW or be more awesome during a DE, if you haven't noticed items have a much lower significance in this game. The best items come from karma which can't be exchanged with gold. Karma boosters could work but the downleveling will take care of the item "bonus", while the booster will make older content invalid.

Now I'm not going to reenter this debate again on GW2 as it was thrashed out months ago, but please stop pretending that you alone have the correct definition of pay2win.  The vast majority of gamers consider introducing massive grind and then allowing "convenience" items is also a form of pay2win.

Yeah but as I already said you are missing the point. There is no massive grind.... So your whole argument is invalid.

It's funny how you are using your wrong perception of P2W even on your signature... Talk about a total hater or misinformed individual (or troll)

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

Originally posted by seridan

The problem is that Korean grinders have a lot of grind (hence the name) but GW2 doesn't have a grind. If someone uses an xp booster to level up faster it means he'll be higher level for events, unless they realize there is a downscaling in the game (Which makes them being higher level useless in the first place) they'll ignore half the content. In reality xp boosters in GW2 are Pay to Lose, you lose content. There IS NO GRIND in the game.

You are missing the point yet again, you are totally misinformed about the game, maybe you think it will be a Korean grinder or something? There is no "uber sword of pwnage" in GW2 and there is no "grind" for items. An "ill-equiped" player can certainly kill a better equiped player in WvWvW or be more awesome during a DE, if you haven't noticed items have a much lower significance in this game. The best items come from karma which can't be exchanged with gold. Karma boosters could work but the downleveling will take care of the item "bonus", while the booster will make older content invalid.

Yeah but as I already said you are missing the point. There is no massive grind.... So your whole argument is invalid.

It's funny how you are using your wrong perception of P2W even on your signature... Talk about a total hater or misinformed individual (or troll)

Woosh.  You completely missed my point.  I was responding to your definition of pay2win not GW2 specifically, which I clearly stated I would not reenter that debate as I've done it ad naseum months ago.

But based on your response above I think you agree that pay2win is not restricted to "cash shop exclusive sword of pwnage" which is what the post I had responded to claimed.

I have moved my issues with GW2 to my signature because I got tired of posting it.  WvWvW is clearly pay2win as the formula below shows (the mystic chests are simply annoying rather than pay2win).  But to each his own, enjoy your game.  I won't be playing though...

• travamarstravamars Member CommonPosts: 417

It's not pay to win. But just like any other game built around their cash shop you will have to pay and pay or suffer.

I just cant believe they want you to pay for the box.

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

I have moved my issues with GW2 to my signature because I got tired of posting it.  WvWvW is clearly pay2win as the formula below shows (the mystic chests are simply annoying rather than pay2win).  But to each his own, enjoy your game.  I won't be playing though...

Then why spend time on GW2 forums?

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

Originally posted by travamars

It's not pay to win. But just like any other game built around their cash shop you will have to pay and pay or suffer.

Oh my goodness, I certainly do not wish to suffer while playing GW2.

Can you please indicate which item(s) currently in the cash shop that I need to buy in order to avoid this?

Please be specific and TIA!

Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

Originally posted by Derpybird

It's called discussion and debate.  GW2 is a hype-monster and a lot of threads are about it, so I sometimes join in.

I'm done pushing too hard on it though, as I don't really follow it much anymore once I decided I wouldn't be buying it.  I used to be way more informed than most of its die-hard-fanatics back when I was more actively debating it, but once I figured out the nuances of their cash shop and how deeply ingrained they were making it, I completely lost interest.  Their hypocrisy regarding the cash shop is offensive to me.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by travamars

Suffer what? You can get the same items w/o paying ANY money so what are you suffering about?

As I said before - GW1 has a CS and it was not a P2W. It was all items for looks. Same in GW2. I guess it is better to look good than to play good.

It's called discussion and debate.  GW2 is a hype-monster and a lot of threads are about it, so I sometimes join in.

I'm done pushing too hard on it though, as I don't really follow it much anymore once I decided I wouldn't be buying it.  I used to be way more informed than most of its die-hard-fanatics back when I was more actively debating it, but once I figured out the nuances of their cash shop and how deeply ingrained they were making it, I completely lost interest.  Their hypocrisy regarding the cash shop is offensive to me.

It is so strange because so many of your recent posts are on the GW2 forums, it's hard to see how you "completely lost interest".

At any rate, since you're "done pushing too hard", bye.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

and your hypocrisy is showing also.

It is basically the same system used in GW1 - what is the big deal.

What is a pain is a monthly sub AND a CS also.

lol. from your sign is obvious you dont know how influence work. have you play game already?

Originally posted by p_c_sousa

lol. from your sign is obvious you dont know how influence work. have you play game already?

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Influence 

• KyelthisKyelthis Member UncommonPosts: 287
      I was responding to your definition of pay2win not GW2 specifically, which I clearly stated I would not reenter that debate as I've done it ad naseum months ago.

Let me guess, you lost?

Originally posted by Kyelthis
      I was responding to your definition of pay2win not GW2 specifically, which I clearly stated I would not reenter that debate as I've done it ad naseum months ago.

Let me guess, you lost?

If by that you mean either:

1) I convinced a starry-eyed GW2 fanatic that their game has pay2win elements

2) I convinced Anet to remove their pay2win elements

Then yes, I lost.  Neither of the above has happened.

But if you mean:

1) Rational gamers are unhappy about the WvWvW gold/influence boosts

2) Clearly identified the pay2win aspects of GW2

Then no, I won.  Both of the above has happened.

And I see you guys have indeed sucked me back into the debate, but it is pointless.  GW2 fantatics will never admit their game is flawed, and Anet will not remove these elements because they want your $$$.  Luckily GW2 is not the only game in town...

• KyelthisKyelthis Member UncommonPosts: 287
    Originally posted by Kyelthis

Let me guess, you lost?

If by that you mean either:

1) I convinced a starry-eyed GW2 fanatic that their game has pay2win elements

2) I convinced Anet to remove their pay2win elements

Then yes, I lost.  Neither of the above has happened.

But if you mean:

Then no, I won.  Both of the above has happened.

And I see you guys have indeed sucked me back into the debate, but it is pointless.  GW2 fantatics will never admit their game is flawed, and Anet will not remove these elements because they want your $$$.  Luckily GW2 is not the only game in town...

Look man, I'm a rational gamer and not a fanatic fan-boy of this game, although it's currently the only MMO I'm even interested in at the time. After playing in 3 beta tests now, I can say that the way the cash shop works currently, doesn't give you a "must-have advantage" that are associated with normal P2W games, but it does give advantages, albeit a slight one. It's a very opinionated topic and no one is right, no one is wrong, at least when it comes to this game's cash shop. I'm happy with the way it is currently, but if it's enough for you not to want to play it because someone can build a siege weapon faster than you or have a couple of levels faster than you can, then by all means...it's not the only game in town.

Originally posted by p_c_sousa

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Influence 

i will ask again. did you already play the game? i just want know this, because influence will be never a problem for midle/big guilds.

btw tell me what you can buy with influence that is P2W. let say you have 1000000 influence, tell what upgrades can you have that is P2W? obvious arent the 40 vitality /toughness/power/precision (ridiculous at lvl80). so please tell me what you can buy with influence that is P2W

dont forget this buffs cost very low influence, isnt like they cost 5000 influenece...just 200-500

and please dont say the tipic BS that GW2 fans think game dont have flaws or that is perfect or cure cancer or other BS. GW2 fans do lot of suggestion on official forum, if game was perfect no one will never suggest anything since game was already perfect

• cippalippacippalippa Member UncommonPosts: 108

yes it is p2w, fanboi's are leaving swotor ship, just don't listen to them, use your mind.

oh, don't forget real money trading!!!

EDIT: random meme as per unspoken forum etiquette, god forgive me i was about to forget it :D

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202

But if you mean:

Rational = haters now? Rational gamers who actually know how the game works already know it's in no way P2W. You can continue posting the same garbage but you haven't posted a single valid reason that it is P2W GIVE ME ONE reason.

No you didn't. I'm waiting for a SINGLE VALID REASON to call it P2W. A SINGLE ONE. Until then you haven't won anything.

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

I really, really, really hope that all these people that are not going to buy GW2 because it's pay2win stick to their guns and don't buy GW2. I don't want to have to ignore them in-game too.

Here is the truth of it.   Winners like to challenge odds that are greater then fair.  A winner attributes a loss as a learning experience and tries to figure out ways to improve. A loser looks for things to blame. A loser looks for excuses.  A loser will prepare all sorts of reasons to defend their failure because a loss to them is another check on the wall of failures with their name at the top.

So if you don't like the fact that someone might be able to beat you in a videogame, YOU have already defined who you are.

So if you can't handle someone reaching max level before you because they bought an XP boost, or if you can't handle that someone managed to pay a few dollars for a golem or some other perk. Then don't play GW2. Go back to play whatever game that you were playing before. You'll just end up being the person complaining that the rest of the server is the reason you lost. You'll be the person blaming everyone else, trying to make everyone feel bad that you, once again, lost.  GW2 doesn't need you and the GW2 community definately doesn't need you.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• ChuvarHramaChuvarHrama Member UncommonPosts: 88

@ OP: It's you.

Originally posted by eyelolled

I really, really, really hope that all these people that are not going to buy GW2 because it's pay2win stick to their guns and don't buy GW2. I don't want to have to ignore them in-game too.

Here is the truth of it.   Winners like to challenge odds that are greater then fair.  A winner attributes a loss as a learning experience and tries to figure out ways to improve. A loser looks for things to blame. A loser looks for excuses.  A loser will prepare all sorts of reasons to defend their failure because a loss to them is another check on the wall of failures with their name at the top.

So if you don't like the fact that someone might be able to beat you in a videogame, YOU have already defined who you are.

So if you can't handle someone reaching max level before you because they bought an XP boost, or if you can't handle that someone managed to pay a few dollars for a golem or some other perk. Then don't play GW2. Go back to play whatever game that you were playing before. You'll just end up being the person complaining that the rest of the server is the reason you lost. You'll be the person blaming everyone else, trying to make everyone feel bad that you, once again, lost.  GW2 doesn't need you and the GW2 community definately doesn't need you.

well cant denie those guys will be great to support Arenanet.  i dont bother if they join game i just block them, they pay lot of money to arenanet, for me is more than fine. let those guys join us, not many in 1 server or that server for sure will suck on WvW

• Brent17Brent17 Member Posts: 17

Yet another troll thread on these forums, that apparently are allowed.  You can see by his posting history, he is a fan of The Secret World game.  This is why I rarely come here anymore.

And how is his handle even allowed on here? 

This discussion has been closed.