Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

how has gw2 not hit over 9.0 on mmorpg.com

Comments

• KoaruKoaru Member Posts: 1

Meanwhile TSW is 9,1 o.O

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Originally posted by Koaru

Meanwhile TSW is 9,1 o.O

Normal, it has just been moved from "hype" to "rating" mode.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• p_c_sousap_c_sousa Member Posts: 620
    Originally posted by Koaru

Meanwhile TSW is 9,1 o.O

just wait to start drop, remember cases of TOR or Tera, both with more 8,7 scores and see where they are now. hope TSW will keep a rating of +- 8.5. 

i didnt like much the game but i prefer it to any WoW based game by far

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

It has already dropped - back to 8.95.

And it will drop more during the day.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156

It always goes like that. Game launches, it's super awesome, than people clam downa nd it goes down.

However, i'd say both TSW and GW2 deserve about 8-8.5 for the simple fact of not being pure wow clones. After all, even EVE itself only as 9.1

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950
    Originally posted by p_c_sousa
    Originally posted by Elesthor
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

Do you even know what  "Subjective Opinion" is? 

In this case - like often - "subjective" means "misinformed and wrong" ;-)

Dont get me wrong, I completely disagree with him, but a subjective opinion is an opinion based on personal feelings/point of view and not based on facts at all. His post qualifies for subjective opinion tbh.

so opinions are totatly useless since i can say anything about a game and say is my opinion. lol

i can say devil may cry 4 and WoW combat are exactly the same? yes i can, is my opinion but will make me look stupid...but is my subjective opinion. 

nope, opinions need to have vaild points to support that opinion

Calling something an opinion does not make it an opinion.  Statements of fact need to be supported, opinions do not.

Originally posted by sketocafe

Dont get me wrong, I completely disagree with him, but a subjective opinion is an opinion based on personal feelings/point of view and not based on facts at all. His post qualifies for subjective opinion tbh.

so opinions are totatly useless since i can say anything about a game and say is my opinion. lol

i can say devil may cry 4 and WoW combat are exactly the same? yes i can, is my opinion but will make me look stupid...but is my subjective opinion. 

Calling something an opinion does not make it an opinion.  Statements of fact need to be supported, opinions do not.

so i can say fire is cold. earth planet is square. moon is a planet.

this are opinions? if yes  what we can conclude? opinions that arent supported by an argument are totally useless and people dont need bother read them.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

"how has gw2 not hit over 9.0 on mmorpg.com" ?

because the average is 8.78

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005

this are opinions? if yes  what we can conclude? opinions that arent supported by an argument are totally useless and people dont need bother read them.

Man arent you a guy to exagerate :P As the guy who you are quoting said opinions are things that are affected by personal  experience that cannot be measured objectively, things like fire and the earth is round are not subjective opinions it can be measured objectively, everyone knows what round is and waht hot and cold is, its fairly well defined and you can go there and measure it. 

Something like "This is best" or "This is bad" is not an objective statement because best and bad are not objectively defined, there is no such thing as a best scale, it is something that is only conditioned by personal experience, everyone will have best and bad organized according to their subjective experience, people are so subjectively conditioned that one unrelated bad thing can make something else suddently be best. 

So someone saying GW2 is better than WoW is as valid and subjective as someone saying eating cheese with your feet is better than playing GW2.

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683

The important thing to take back from this is to ignore the meter.

There are people that give it a 0 because they think it's a competition, and their game has be be on top.

There are people that give it a 10 for the same reason.

And that might be one of the saner reasons people rate.

Originally posted by rav3n2

Man arent you a guy to exagerate :P As the guy who you are quoting said opinions are things that are affected by personal  experience that cannot be measured objectively, things like fire and the earth is round are not subjective opinions it can be measured objectively, everyone knows what round is and waht hot and cold is, its fairly well defined and you can go there and measure it. 

Something like "This is best" or "This is bad" is not an objective statement because best and bad are not objectively defined, there is no such thing as a best scale, it is something that is only conditioned by personal experience, everyone will have best and bad organized according to their subjective experience, people are so subjectively conditioned that one unrelated bad thing can make something else suddently be best. 

So someone saying GW2 is better than WoW is as valid and subjective as someone saying eating cheese with your feet is better than playing GW2.

so if someone say GW2 combat is equal to WoW combat system that is a opinion or not? sorry but for me this isnt a opinion.  if i say GW2 is a FPS game this isnt a opinion is just trolling

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202
    Originally posted by rav3n2

As the guy who you are quoting said opinions are things that are affected by personal  experience that cannot be measured objectively, things like fire and the earth is round are not subjective opinions it can be measured objectively, everyone knows what round is and waht hot and cold is, its fairly well defined and you can go there and measure it.

Alright because all this conversation started from an early post. This is the phrase in question:

Because I know it's going to be another tab-aim, instance heavy, mini-game-PvP ridden, challengeless and boring themepark.

1) You can play the game without any tab-aiming at all. In fact all your abilities are usable without having a target.

2) Nope, unless you follow the Personal Storyline there aren't any instances, so instance-heavy is also wrong.

3) mini-game-PVP ridden, WvWvW is by no means "mini-game"

4) When even the most normal mob can kill you and Veterans are far better at it, Champions are on another level, claiming it is challengless is also wrong

5) Hooooray the only opinion in that phrase!

When you have facts that prove the opposite of what someone states as an opinion, is not an opinion anymore, at best it's an attempt at passing wrong information due to misinformation/ lack of knowledge on the topic at hand, keep in mind that neutrals also read the forums, and might get the absolutely wrong idea. At worst it's an attempt at trolling, those that have more experience/knowledge should correct such mistakes, even if they are stated as "opinions", they are still wrong when there is proof

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• andre369andre369 Member UncommonPosts: 970
    Originally posted by antshock35
    Originally posted by Jabas

Is that number soooo important to you OP? image

Serious, start ignoring that number, dont let the number get control over you, is not good for your health. image

I know but after starring at it for like 3mnths i WANT TO SQUEEZE IT SO HARD IT POPS OVER 9....Do i need help lolimage

Just make 1000 accounts here and change you IP and boom, go spam the hype thread. OR make a contest where you give away GW2 copies for some of the last 1000 that posted there. 

• ChromeBallzChromeBallz Member UncommonPosts: 342

Originally posted by seridan1) You can play the game without any tab-aiming at all. In fact all your abilities are usable without having a target.

2) Nope, unless you follow the Personal Storyline there aren't any instances, so instance-heavy is also wrong.

4) When even the most normal mob can kill you and Veterans are far better at it, Champions are on another level, claiming it is challengless is also wrong

Actually, internally theres is tab aim, but it works as a directed AOE which, if aimed properly, will lock on to the target and hit the spell. Think of this as a cone AOE effect, if the target is within the cone, the spell will hit - That's how it works under the hood. The current technical infrastructure of GW2 does not allow for "actual" aiming as that would increase the necessary calculations roughly 10-fold at least. There's a good reason why shooters usually don't allow more than 24-32 people on a server. More are possible software-wise, but the server can easily get overloaded if you keep cramming people in. This is because manual (shooter-like) aiming processing increases exponentioally on a logarithmic scale with participating playes, while "tab aiming" increases in a linear logarithmic way. To make WvW possible as they intend, shooter aiming is simply not technically feasible at the moment.

There are also instances, but they aswell are hidden. Aside from the few zone portals, a streaming world is not kept 'as one' throughout play. It's possible to use phases and instances of certain parts of the world to keep player load distributed evenly over the hardware. These can also occupy the same space at the same time. A simple example of this would be GW1, which is the base for a lot of the GW2 tech, where people are occupying different channels of the same area (they call it map overflow in GW2). But i guess this is just nitpicking.

The normal mobs being able to kill you can happen in any game. GW2's "difficulty slider" can be adjusted - The easiest setting is the technical base, after which the mobs simply get hp and damage bonusses, their tactics don't actually change. IMHO, this is the wrong way to do this - Higher difficulties should be higher level mobs being taken out by lower level players, not same level mobs with hp and damage modifiers.

I can't comment on the others at the moment as i'm not entirely clear on the WvW, though i usually avoid PvP like the plague anyway.

These are all small issues, but my point is that people shouldn't overhype GW2 into something it's not. It will be a decent evolution of the EQ formula, just like WoW was, but it won't be the revolution people are looking for. The core is still the same as in EQ - Levels, XP, a certain amount of grind (it still mostly revolves around the KFC quest design, despite the pretty dressing up) and a (technically, under the good) simplified combat system to allow for certain hardware freedoms, though it coincidentally allowed more players to enjoy this system because it relies less on lightning reflexes and more on strategic thought.

GW2 will be good, just not the MMO messiah everyone's making it out to be. I do expect it to remain the #2 behind WoW for quite some time due to it's relatively large mass appeal, though i'm not expecting more than ~1.5-2m concurrent active accounts in 6-12 months, after which it will gradually drop down to around 800k-1m in 2 years, though i think this is quite optimistic (though not impossible).

Playing: WF
    Played: WoW, GW2, L2, WAR, AoC, DnL (2005), GW, LotRO, EQ2, TOR, CoH (RIP), STO, TSW, TERA, EVE, ESO, BDO
    Tried: EQ, UO, AO, EnB, TCoS, Fury, Ryzom, EU, DDO, TR, RF, CO, Aion, VG, DN, Vindictus, AA

• MercAngelMercAngel Member Posts: 204
    Originally posted by ChromeBallz

Originally posted by seridan1) You can play the game without any tab-aiming at all. In fact all your abilities are usable without having a target.

Actually, internally theres is tab aim, but it works as a directed AOE which, if aimed properly, will lock on to the target and hit the spell. Think of this as a cone AOE effect, if the target is within the cone, the spell will hit - That's how it works under the hood.

Not True there is no AOE cone. i played a ranger and i saw my qrrows go right by my target and miss they did not lock on becues i was looking that way

There are also instances, but they aswell are hidden. Aside from the few zone portals, a streaming world is not kept 'as one' throughout play. It's possible to use phases and instances of certain parts of the world to keep player load distributed evenly over the hardware. These can also occupy the same space at the same time. A simple example of this would be GW1, which is the base for a lot of the GW2 tech, where people are occupying different channels of the same area (they call it map overflow in GW2). But i guess this is just nitpicking.

Also Not True there are no hidden instances. there are 2 server for each world a main one and a overflow if and wehn you get moevd to overflow you are told so i do not call this hidden.

The normal mobs being able to kill you can happen in any game. GW2's "difficulty slider" can be adjusted - The easiest setting is the technical base, after which the mobs simply get hp and damage bonusses, their tactics don't actually change. IMHO, this is the wrong way to do this - Higher difficulties should be higher level mobs being taken out by lower level players, not same level mobs with hp and damage modifiers.

what is this no clue what you are saying here but lets take this from a pvp point. what you are sayingis the a player who has played for a few year and is say lvl 10 that a new player to the game or just MMO should not have a hard time killing the veteran player even if the vereran may have some items the give him more hp and more damage.

• NeferaNefera Member Posts: 426

Actually, internally theres is tab aim, but it works as a directed AOE which, if aimed properly, will lock on to the target and hit the spell. Think of this as a cone AOE effect, if the target is within the cone, the spell will hit - That's how it works under the hood. The current technical infrastructure of GW2 does not allow for "actual" aiming as that would increase the necessary calculations roughly 10-fold at least. There's a good reason why shooters usually don't allow more than 24-32 people on a server. More are possible software-wise, but the server can easily get overloaded if you keep cramming people in. This is because manual (shooter-like) aiming processing increases exponentioally on a logarithmic scale with participating playes, while "tab aiming" increases in a linear logarithmic way. To make WvW possible as they intend, shooter aiming is simply not technically feasible at the moment.

There is no lock-on-and-hit on projectiles. If a ranger shoots an arrow at you, and you strafe (note: not dodge) out of the way, the arrow will not hit you. Same with ele fireballs, or just about any other projectile in the game. There is a semi-guided system in place - when you fire a projectile, the projectile predicts where the target will be based on its current movement speed and direction, and will fire towards that spot. If the target were to stop or change direction after the projectile has fired, the projectile will not suddenly change direction.

They also changed the projectiles to such that if you have no target selected and hold down your right mouse button, the projectile will fire directly to where you're looking at.

There are no hidden instances. Whenever you're entering one, you're clearly told so. Instances are related to personal story mostly, and your home instance. Overflow consists of an entire zone when your home server's version of that map is full - and in that case you'll be whisked away to a completely different server's version of the zone, not a hidden instance portion at your home server's map.

Mostly opinion here, so I've not got too much to add. Just so you know though, when you get towards higher levels, mobs not only increase in damage and hp, but they also start using a larger array of abilities towards the player. Dodges, weapon swaps, stuns, calling other mobs for help...

<snip>

GW2 will be good, just not the MMO messiah everyone's making it out to be. I do expect it to remain the #2 behind WoW for quite some time due to it's relatively large mass appeal, though i'm not expecting more than ~1.5-2m concurrent active accounts in 6-12 months, after which it will gradually drop down to around 800k-1m in 2 years, though i think this is quite optimistic (though not impossible).

Seriously, the only people I've ever seen calling gw2 a Messiah/Jesus/Second Coming/Holy Grail are the ones that didn't like it. Please stop it. If you see someone who clearly likes the game and still calls it that, please do say so - they seriously need some sense pounded into head in that case.

• MattVidMattVid Member Posts: 399

A better question is how TSW just passed it up today. I don't really care about the hype levels, honestly, I have played the game and enjoy it. That is all I really need to know I want to play it.

• QuenchsterQuenchster Member Posts: 450

There are two rules I keep to myself.

1. Almost never vote a 10, 0, or 1 for most categories. Not many games deserve those scores. The only time I would place a 10 in something is for maybe sound if the quality is great and graphics if they are the best I've seen for this genre. Everything else I feel needs to be voted on a scale of 2 to 9 to base my scores on my own opinions and experiences, but at the same time be open to the fact that my rating could have been different if something had happened to change my views.
    2. Never rate a game unless it is just hype rating or I have played it.

#2 is why the score is 8.78. It is just hype rating. A person who doesn't even want to play it could give it the lowest score for no other reason than that they aren't excited about it. When it comes to actual rating, I feel that there are more people out there like me that just don't vote on a game they haven't played. I'm sure that GW2 will be at a higher rating once it launches because of it.

It is probably the same reason why TSW is a high rating right now too. I rated it a low hype level because it was Funcom/EA, but now that the rating it is using is based on experiences people had with the game I won't rate it.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

Given the number of people who seem to get aroused by hating on [insert popular game here], I'm surprised it's not lower

• Brent17Brent17 Member Posts: 17

Its because this website caters to the trolls.  Its a troll haven.  I plan on closing my account on here if I can find out how.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Determined opposition? Just guessin'.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

There seems to be a the tiny few who are spreading misinformation about the store and saying the same three words over and over on what type of store this game has. This rhetoric about this game is only due to people who have nothing better to do with their time then come here yell three letters and move on to another positive post about this game. And I have noticed how this is allowed to continue in these forums. When many people like me were trying to warn of the problems concerning SWTOR including what looked to be consumer fraud at launch of the game we were constantly issued warnings, threads were closed down before they even reached 3 replies, and we were told that it was not conducive to a positive community, yet these kinds of threads, the "P2W" threads are allowed to continue unfrozen even tho their original post was reported already and i'm sure very sure that these same people have gone over and voted GW2 down, even tho they have the false view of the shop. They even prove themselves wrong with their own links.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

I think the people who really dislike GW2 are doing because they won't buy it and they want to to fail so they can say they are right. GW2 will not fail. So far the CBE's have been so much fun and I am sad that it is over and want to play more. I can't say I have had that feeling with any other game so far.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by Mexorilla
    Originally posted by Wyrd01

Almost everyone who's looking forward to GW2 is playing or has played GW1 - I don't really know many people outside of that sphere who are that hyped for that game. I certainly am not. The only thing it has is pretty awesomely designed environments, otherwise it felt like yet another EQ derivative. A decent one, mind you, but derivative nonetheless.

I don't think that's true.  GW2 has a huge appeal beyond former GW1 players.  I've never played GW1 a day in my life, but I'm super excited about GW2.  Mostly because it took everything I grew bored with in WoW and Rift and fixed it.  It's actually fun and you want other players around because you can play with them.

yep.  i personally hate gw1.  it's a lobby based,  grind, and i hope to never play it again.  gw2's scope goes well beyond the gw1 fanbase.

Yah, I only bought GW1 after the first GW2 beta from pre-purchasing. The only reason I played GW1 for 49 days was to get 30/50 in my Hall of monuments. Once I got my 30/50 last week I was done with it. It was probably a good game back in its day, but the heavy instancing was annoying. If I wasn't in Balthazar, Kamadan, ToA, or Lion's Arch it felt like I was playing all alone. It was easy to put down GW1 after getting 30/50, I was bored to play whole time I played, but I'm done now, lol.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by botrytis

I think the people who really dislike GW2 are doing because they won't buy it and they want to to fail so they can say they are right.

Psst.  You can say you were right at any time, about any game.  If your posting history says otherwise, play the forum alt dance.

Why would anyone really work that hard at impressing strangers on the internet?  Making "predictions" about MMOs is completely without risk.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.