Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it fun? The hubris of bucking convention.

12346»

Comments

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

So what do all of you geniuses think is going to happen when the game is a ghost town in 2 months because nobody has any reason to stay because of the lack of "grind" as you all love to call it?

Whats going to happen is the game is going to receive 0 support, none whatsoever, bugs will go unfixed, no new content will be added, etc etc.

Absolutely baffles me that people continue to think the F2P models are good for a game. 

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779
    Originally posted by kedoremos

This actually worries me a little. This exhibits the same level of hubris I saw in SW:TOR. They bucked the genre conventions because supposedly everything had changed. In the end, all their bucking meant nobody wanted to play.

The gear grind is required. The profession grind is required. The achievement grind is required. It's how fun and rewarding that grind is that makes a good MMO.

Cool, you don't plan on playing thx!

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779
    Originally posted by Hrimnir

So what do all of you geniuses think is going to happen when the game is a ghost town in 2 months because nobody has any reason to stay because of the lack of "grind" as you all love to call it?

Whats going to happen is the game is going to receive 0 support, none whatsoever, bugs will go unfixed, no new content will be added, etc etc.

Absolutely baffles me that people continue to think the F2P models are good for a game. 

It's not F2p..WTF did you get that impression?

Also the same reason why I still play Master of Magic .

Ever think maybe people actually enjoy playing video games?

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • SythionSythion Member Posts: 422

The gear grind is required. The profession grind is required. The achievement grind is required. It's how fun and rewarding that grind is that makes a good MMO.

This is true if you're looking for an MMO to replace your real life.

I'll play GW2 instead.

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202

It's B2P not F2P....

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• IrusIrus Member Posts: 774

Err, Guild Wars 1?

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

This actually worries me a little. This exhibits the same level of hubris I saw in SW:TOR. They bucked the genre conventions because supposedly everything had changed. In the end, all their bucking meant nobody wanted to play.

I don't even know what to say, I retyped at least 10 times, oh my God lol.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• IrusIrus Member Posts: 774

Yeah, it's amazing how quickly people put everything in a box.

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156
    Originally posted by Irus

Err, Guild Wars 1?

What does a lobby based game that came out during a time with no competition and as become known for it's arena based pvp as to do with anything again? And for the record, i like GW1

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by dlld

GW2 has a gear grind.. the game just doesn't utterly revolve around it though nor continues to forever prolong it with very few ever getting completed (having "best in slot") like your average wow clone.

Well said. I grinded gear in GW(1) myself, but not because I had to. My gear after a week or 2 was perfectly good but I wanted something to show of how good I play and that required both grinding and to complete hard content.

That will turn off players but frankly do the raid for gear policy many other games have as well.

Focusing on the rest of the market that doesn't want Wow is the smartest thing ANET (and a few other companies like CCP and Undead labs) have done. There are alreaady a zillion games out there for people that are hoarders and love to improve their gear all the time. 

Originally posted by FredomSekerZ

Err, Guild Wars 1?

What does a lobby based game that came out during a time with no competition and as become known for it's arena based pvp as to do with anything again? And for the record, i like GW1

Things are indeed different now but remember that GW came out in mid 2005, otherwise known as "the rise of Wow". If that was no competition I don´t know what was, a lot of games went under at the time.

In fact I think 2005 was the worst year in history to release a MMO, Wow released late 2004 and GW1 was probably the most successful game releasing withing 2-3 years after Wow.

But I think Irus more was thinking of the support GW1 actually got, it got as much support as most P2P games.

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

Er... SWTOR failed because it didn't actually buck any conventions. It plays just like WoW. Singleplayer oriented quests, with maybe a bit more polish.

Gear grind is NOT required, many MMOs have done without it, same for profession and "achievements" (whatever that means).

Current "convention" (WoW clones) aren't fun. Else they'd be growing, not failing and going FTP.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341
    Originally posted by Johnnymmo
    Originally posted by StrixMaxima

I am sorry but what have they changed? Have they come up with something new? Where is the endgame? How many times will i bother doing the same dynamic events. Shadow behemoth looks Nice but do boring. Just a zerg and really i forsee that most need to be zergs as communication was non existant. I am gonna enjoy structured pvp though that i am looking forward to playing.

They have broken with tank-spank basi routines used by 99% of MMOs.

They have broken with the 'mission hub' mentality.

They are a true MMO without subscriptions, with Triple A production.

They provide different flavors of PvP, depending on your style.

Separately, these are one thing. Under the same hood, they make for a great title.

Thus, they changed many MMO dogmas.

1. They dont use trinity i know. And what is then left? Yes the zerg mentality. Tactics out the window lets all just aoe till their dead. 2. No mission hub true. But its still the boring quests of kill 20 bandits, gather 10 Wood, explode 10 tree stumps. So nothing new here. 3. Yes no sub. But like any company they ll milk the customers. Great example mystery boxes. Wheres the keys ohh yes in the cash shop. + an expansion every 6 months costing another 60 bucks 4. So does wow. Wow pvp takes more skill though 5. So no gw2 hasnt invented anything new. Just wrapped it a bit differently

You're talking as someone who hasn't played the game. Do so, try a dungeon and/or PvP, and then come back and tell me that you can just AoE until everything is dead.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    Originally posted by RizelStar

I don't even know what to say, I retyped at least 10 times, oh my God lol.

LOL I know what you mean.

The only thing I can say is that kedoremos must only have experience in themepark MMO's that follow the EQ/WoW model.

Then again, I have an inkling that by "grind" he really means "progression" and in that case...yes progression is required in an RPG (otherwise it's not an RPG).  But this is not to say that, that progression need be unpleasant or overly repetitive (grindy).  And it definitely doesn't mean that you need one specific kind of progression (gear, achievements, etc.) to be successful.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

Originally posted by Garvon3

Er... SWTOR failed because it didn't actually buck any conventions. It plays just like WoW. Singleplayer oriented quests, with maybe a bit more polish.

Gear grind is NOT required, many MMOs have done without it, same for profession and "achievements" (whatever that means).

Current "convention" (WoW clones) aren't fun. Else they'd be growing, not failing and going FTP.

I think both of you are wrong.

TOR failed because it´s focus is on singleplayer stuff while most MMO players want a social game.

While Wow clones have filled out the market they do have many players and I am pretty sure most of them think those games are fun. And they do still own most of the market even if some weakergames have gone F2P.

However you can only sell that many bottles of beer in a small village no matter how many different kinds you have. Some people just prefer wine or whiskey. And even if you like beer only selling Bud and similar brands limit your potential, particularly after a bunch of years. Sometimes people want a good Guiness or Chimay instead of the same as every week.

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156
    Originally posted by Loke666
    Originally posted by FredomSekerZ

Err, Guild Wars 1?

Things are indeed different now but remember that GW came out in mid 2005, otherwise known as "the rise of Wow". If that was no competition I don´t know what was, a lot of games went under at the time.

In fact I think 2005 was the worst year in history to release a MMO, Wow released late 2004 and GW1 was probably the most successful game releasing withing 2-3 years after Wow.

But I think Irus more was thinking of the support GW1 actually got, it got as much support as most P2P games.

There was indeed some competetion but the biggest "heavy weights" (from what we see today) only came out in 2008 with WAR and AOC and all the ones ot follow. Also, keep in mind in 2007 the game launhced the fits expansion that required players to buy the original game first. And WOW became really big, and GW1 was (is) B2P which made a good difference specially since WOW as defenatly more stablished.

But my post was just to reflect on the fact that using GW1 as an indicator of anything isn't a good idea IMHO. The pve doesn't need a population like an mmo and WVW is going to need even more players than the original's pvp to make it good. I know, i know, guesting for PVE, but again, bad rep for a game isn't good, if you log in to find most servers on low with a few high where everyone is guesting.

Keep in mind i'm not trying to say GW2 will fail or anything like that. Just that the prequel was something very different from the sequel. However, as i've always said, i believe GW2 will return a profit to Ante easily with the box sales at launch. The future is, well, unknown, as it always is for any mmorpg.

Originally posted by gaeanprayer

1. They dont use trinity i know. And what is then left? Yes the zerg mentality. Tactics out the window lets all just aoe till their dead. 2. No mission hub true. But its still the boring quests of kill 20 bandits, gather 10 Wood, explode 10 tree stumps. So nothing new here. 3. Yes no sub. But like any company they ll milk the customers. Great example mystery boxes. Wheres the keys ohh yes in the cash shop. + an expansion every 6 months costing another 60 bucks 4. So does wow. Wow pvp takes more skill though 5. So no gw2 hasnt invented anything new. Just wrapped it a bit differently

You're talking as someone who hasn't played the game. Do so, try a dungeon and/or PvP, and then come back and tell me that you can just AoE until everything is dead.

He sounds more like someone who tried it for an hour or 2, and only in PvE. If you just run the starting zones and do the heart quests you get that idea.

The dungeons are something completely different, particularly in explorable mode. And the exploration and DEs you get after you leave the start area are a very different experience as well.

Personally I ignore most heart quests.

That Wow takes more skill in PvP is just silly, unless he means that it takes skill to grind the gear that makes you easily defeat most oponents. GW2 offers a lot closer matches than Wow where your gear matters liitle and how that can take less skill is just something I don't get.

Having more skills on your hotbar does not make playing the game harder.

As for the mystery boxes they just have junk in them anyways and the keys actually drop in the game as well. As for 60 bucks every 6 months (I think 9-12 is more likely) that is still cheaper than 90 bucks every 6 months (well, you can get it down a bit if you pay a year at the time) and a 50 bucks expansion every 2 years.

And Wow also sells crap you don´t need in the cashshop just like GW2. Not to mention all boxes you need to buy to start wow.

• KedoremosKedoremos Member UncommonPosts: 432

I'm necroing this thread because I just wanted to say that I was right.

Life of an MMORPG "addict"
    For 7 years, proving that if you quote "fuck" you won't get banned.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by Kedoremos

I'm necroing this thread because I just wanted to say that I was right.

everybody wants to say they're right, but that doesn't mean they are. Same applies to you.

EDIT: I also find it funny that you want to say your right, when you originally were talking about someone else's hubris.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

This discussion has been closed.