Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's with Funcom and there supper high end GFX requirements?

Comments

• ChilliesauceChilliesauce Member Posts: 559
    Originally posted by Warjin

Funcom seems to be hell bent on releasing games that require the best GFX card, IMO this is one of the reasons AOC didn't make it big, Funcom is not making very good business moves having there games require $400+ GFX cards to play, this only limits the amount of people that can play and in turn hurts revenue.

I can only get 15fps and I was also reading that even players with GTX 670 are only getting 30fps, really Funcom needs to learn off there mistakes, never,ever set supper high system requirments for a sub based MMO, this alone is means death, Funcom and all MMO's for that matter sould  tweek the games to run in a range of 8 years of system hardware not the last year alone.

My system is anything but high end and i get decent 30 to 40 fps with my ATI 5770 with dx 11.

• shadow9d9shadow9d9 Member UncommonPosts: 374

When my friend was over, he played it fine on my 6 year old pc.  I play flawlessly on my 1 year old sub $1k built pc.

• AlanakoAlanako Member Posts: 188
    That card you have is not going to let you play the game. I had the same cpu and 4gb of memory when i first enter the closed beta in december, but i have 2 ati4870 cards. Putting all graphic sliders to 2, in dx9 and playing at 1920x1200 i got around 28-30fps at that moment and xfire wasnt working
  • rpgalonrpgalon Member Posts: 430

I play this game with the notebook graphics HD 5650M and i5 430M, 4gb of ram.

runs better than expected.

• paidgtfopaidgtfo Member Posts: 16

Funcom seems to be hell bent on releasing games that require the best GFX card, IMO this is one of the reasons AOC didn't make it big, Funcom is not making very good business moves having there games require $400+ GFX cards to play, this only limits the amount of people that can play and in turn hurts revenue.

I can only get 15fps and I was also reading that even players with GTX 670 are only getting 30fps, really Funcom needs to learn off there mistakes, never,ever set supper high system requirments for a sub based MMO, this alone is means death, Funcom and all MMO's for that matter sould  tweek the games to run in a range of 8 years of system hardware not the last year alone.

People seem to be hell bent on using el cheapo parts that are also outdated by years and complain about shit fps.

• WolfClawsWolfClaws Member UncommonPosts: 638

Your opinion is misguided.  AoC didn't make it big from a lot of other reasons.  The high end requirement for the ultra nice looking graphics is NOT one of them.  You could always tone the graphics down for AoC and disable shadows.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

I can run TSW maxed out with the following spec

i7 2700k @ 4.5ghz

2 x ati 6850 (Please note i disable crossfire for TSW so jsut using 1 card)

8GB ram

Win 7 x64 on a SSD

TSW installed on a seagate 7200rpm drive thats a few years old..

So if my old ATI 6850 can handle this game maxed out then its not that bad..

Also its a good thing that PC games companies push the boat with hardware.. .we have been stuck in a rut for too long with games being held back graphics wise because of consoles...

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

Your GPU is terrible... Why not just get GFX 560 or 550 Ti (I've got 550Ti and runs games perfectly on high)...

And I'd recommend upgrading your RAM to DDR3 8 GB 1066 MHz (or faster, but below 1066mhz don't bother looking)

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Also noticed you said you where saving for a 680? why bother the 670 is almost as good and a shed load cheaper..

• TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498
    I would say that the 3850 is a reasonable requirement for a game in 2012
  • Hopscotch73Hopscotch73 Member UncommonPosts: 971

The check your graphics card widget for TSW is "sponsored by" NVidia, and it's in their best interests to tell people they need a better card to run the game. The widget will recommend a 560ti as standard (if memory serves) BUT the small print tells you that's to run everything on max. That small print is really important. 

Yes, OP you could use a graphics card upgrade, but you don't have to go and buy whatever card the widget told you to. 

It ran fine on my old GT 240 over the initial beta weekend, and even better once I turned shadows off. Sure it runs nice with a newer card (and no, my new card isn't a 560ti!), but isn't that true of everything?

Maybe I've played too much TSW of late, but I'd advise being cynical about a benchmarking program that's branded with a GPU manufacturer's logo. 

Believe nothing....

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

(...)

----------------------------------
    01 - Operating System
    ----------------------------------

0101 - Operating System         : Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.120503-2030)

0104 - Processor               AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
    0105 - Memory                   4094MB RAM

0201 - Caption                    AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor x4 ~3200MHz

0301 - Card Name              AMD Radeon HD 6450

(...)

get 4 gigs more ram  :)

my system is midspecc too (i only have more ram and a better gfx) and i get between 20 and 40 fps.

also people forget that it's not JUST about speccs.

be sure your HDs are defragmented (gaming and OS HD especialy), that you have no unused stuff unning in the background, have enough of space free on all participating HDs and always be nice to your neighbor :)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• Kram59Kram59 Member Posts: 153
    It’s so funny, how people have such a vast difference in the way they view the same thing. I don’t even want to play a game if it doesn’t have super high requirements. I have a very limited income, but since my hobby is computer gaming, why bother if I have a crappy computer? I try to (as best as I can afford) keep my computer as bad to the bone as possible. Maybe they could release a online game called “Pong” for those people running a Commodore 64? Oh by the way, I’m a old dude that beta tested the first online game to start it all. Meridian 59.
    I’m not contributing anything here, just throwing out my thoughts.
    Remember, game till you bleed. 

King of the world

• ChromeBallzChromeBallz Member UncommonPosts: 342

Radeon HD 6450

There's your problem. It's a pretty crappy card.

Turn off SSAO and Antialiasing though, and you should be fine. SSAO especially is a huge resource hog on such cards.

Playing: WF
    Played: WoW, GW2, L2, WAR, AoC, DnL (2005), GW, LotRO, EQ2, TOR, CoH (RIP), STO, TSW, TERA, EVE, ESO, BDO
    Tried: EQ, UO, AO, EnB, TCoS, Fury, Ryzom, EU, DDO, TR, RF, CO, Aion, VG, DN, Vindictus, AA

Originally posted by Thane
    get 4 gigs more ram  :)

More than 4 gigs for a gaming machine is currently overkill. There's absolutely no need to add more ram if all you do is office applications and games - More than 4 gigs only really becomes important when you use your pc professionally in some capacity (image editing, virtual machines, video processing, rendering etc).

On the other hand, ram is dirt cheap at the moment. I got my 8 gigs for 50 euros.

Played: WoW, GW2, L2, WAR, AoC, DnL (2005), GW, LotRO, EQ2, TOR, CoH (RIP), STO, TSW, TERA, EVE, ESO, BDO
    Tried: EQ, UO, AO, EnB, TCoS, Fury, Ryzom, EU, DDO, TR, RF, CO, Aion, VG, DN, Vindictus, AA

Originally posted by Caldrin
    Also noticed you said you where saving for a 680? why bother the 670 is almost as good and a shed load cheaper..

2+ screens? :P

• CantorageCantorage Member Posts: 186

People who say they get less than 30 FPS on high in this game with any Nvidia from the GTX 470 upwards and a CPU equal to an E8400 Core2 Duo (3 Ghz) are either lying or have a computer full of dust, bloated with viruses/ spyware/ bloatware or fragmented hard drives (or just 5400 RPM)

In fact I have the two components listed, and I get 35-40 FPS on a mix of high and ultra.

The most important thing to remember is use the right client. A newer card will perform better with DX11, while an older card needs 9.

• sfc1971sfc1971 Member UncommonPosts: 421

0308 - Current Mode : 1440 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)

From the OP system specs.

Now, I know not everyone can have a desktop with 2560x1600 because how else would I show I got a bigger ePenis, BUT I think that resolution is pretty hard to find on a regular monitor. I think we may be looking at a laptop user here. Laptops are not meant for gaming, never will be unless you spend several times the cost of a top range desktop system for an alienware and still get less performance.

Some games have high demands and can't be run on cheap computers. More after the break, don't go away!

• KumateKumate Member Posts: 69
    Originally posted by Azarith

Try turning your settings down.

Minimum requirements listed here.

http://www.thesecretworld.com/buy/

Biggest things to turn down for performance are shadows and motion blur.

Yeah I turned everything on low, even ran it on dx9 and lowered Res. and at best I only get 15ish fps, I'm just going to have to buy a new GFX card, I needed onle anyways.

I'm sorry if you turned everything to low and are running directx9 then your computer is a piece of crap.  Those same settings I am getting over 200fps with minium of 110fps.

Seriously, most of your original post is false.  My wife runs a GTX670 with everything maxed and she gets 60-120 FPS.  I get a little better with my GTX680 but only 10fps or so.

We both have i5core 760's Overclocked. 

If your running a graphics card from 4 years ago...what did you expect?  Onboard graphics cards wont do for any MMO.  Its a massive world!  I think its great that someone actually uses the technology out there instead of making games look bad to please people.

Naw, just kidding!  Hope your not pissed after reading that..just wanted to get ya hyped.  The dev's have stated that there is an issue with AMD processors paired with AMD cards that are not performing well.  If you had an intel proc with amd card..your fine...or amd proc with nivida card your find...but pairing AMD with AMD is broke and going to be fixed soon.

• XPraetorianXXPraetorianX Member CommonPosts: 107

I love the fact they made a MMO that takes advantage of a gaming PC. You can always just turn down your settings. I however have had ZERO issues my sons Asus laptop even plays it well. So I have to assume you are playing on a very under powered rig or your using 301.24 Nvidia drivers with a OC GFX card in that case you just need the beta drivers. I know this because my 880 was getting bad FPS because its OC and the Nvidia driver was causing the card to defualt to 50 MHZ lol. GPU was 100%. Updated the drivers to beta 304.48 and runs great. Also turn of SLI for this game till a good profile comes out. It runs better atm on one card.

• Kram59Kram59 Member Posts: 153

Wow, I don't know anyone with a computer that is 8 years old. If your computer is older then two years (max) time to get new equitment or find another hobby. Personally I think a computer older then six months needs to see the inside of a dumpster. I am a very low income old dude, but if I can't play the newest game at the highest settings, I will switch to another form of entertainment. Good luck in finding a solution to your situation bro.

Remeber, game till you bleed...

King of the world

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

0301 - Card Name                : AMD Radeon HD 6450

There's your problem.  The system specs say a Radeon HD 3850 or better.  You have something markedly worse than a 3850.  But getting something better doesn't have to cost $400.  For example:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102988

For that matter, the Radeon HD 3850 itself was only $179 on launch day, not $400.  And that was way back in 2007.

Yes, Funcom does require you to have some hardware meant to handle games.  And a lot of games let you get away with using pitifully weak hardware, such as Intel graphics.  But if you're going to play games much, you really should get a video card meant to handle them, as opposed to a video card that is $15 after rebate, like what you have now:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127584

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

a $100 video card could easily play this game well.. if you can't even afford a $100 card then PC gaming may not be a good hobby. An ATI 6770 could easily play this game at decent settings and could be had for around $100

after rebate $99.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150540

and free copy of Dirt 3:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615

since this is a topic about performance.. what kind can i expect with an i5 3570k 560ti 8gig ram and ssd?

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by dlld

since this is a topic about performance.. what kind can i expect with an i5 3570k 560ti 8gig ram and ssd?

same setup here in dx9 with everything on ultra but lighting set to 1 and Advanced GFX set to 1 I get a smooth 60-70 FPS... Dx11 had to many FPS spikes and didn't feel as smooth

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg