Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you aren't trying TSW, I think you should.

1234568»

Comments

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by rojo6934
    Originally posted by netentropy

You should give it a Buy.

fixed.... you dont pay full price to try a game.

if they release a free trial then thats fine to go and try it

This..

The only way i could honestly recommend this game for anyone to 'give it a try' was if it did in fact have a free trial.  in MMO terms a 'try before you buy' option is a must, and as i'd also use that same 'proviso' against buying GW2.. i feel that too often people are rushed into buying something blind, which they may well come to regret later, or sooner even.  These days im becoming increasingly sceptical of any game that doesnt offer a free trial, its like, what do they have to hide?image

• FaynthFaynth Member Posts: 237
    Originally posted by tares
    Originally posted by xenpt
    Originally posted by Xzen

I'll buy it as soon as it goes Buy to Play.

it is already lol.

For $300 something you can try the game as much as you like.  Cool clothing available via cash shop, expansions, mission packs, etc  not included.

???? source?

• CantorageCantorage Member Posts: 186

I love everything about TSW, especially PvP. El Dorado with good opponents is the best non-sandbox PvP in an MMO of all time. Fact.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by rznkain

Originally posted by AlBQuirky TSW may be a great game, but I will not support a box sale + sub + cash shop business model.
            Who's telling you too? You do not HAVE to buy from the cash shop same as if your a paying sub in LOTRO,AO,WoW,EQ2 and list goes on and on.All of them have sub models plus a cash shop some of them are F2P but all of them also have sub models in them.You do not have to buy anything from any of those game cash shops.TSW has clothing and other costmetic things you really wanna take a silly stance over a pair of pants? Oh well lol
    <pulls out my cane>
    Back when I started playing, a player the bought whole game for the box price. The sub fee covered patches but unfortunately not expansions. I got used to buying the whole game. These new games chop up their content so much (to sell again in cash shops) I feel cheated and refuse to support their business models.

LotRO does not cost anything to play. No box sale. No sub fee needed.
    AO I know nothing about.
    WoW costs to play and they do have a cash shop. I don't play it anymore.
    EQ2 costs nothing to play. Unless you want to play a character not of the 4 offered races or 8 offered classes for free.

I just long for the good old days when your box purchase gave you the whole game, not some cut up shadow of what you should be getting for your investment. And box prices have gone up to boot! For less content! I'll just vote with my wallet and say, "No, thank you."

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• TyratopsTyratops Member Posts: 98

Combat is fine, saying it is crap is an exaggeration.  It's the encounters that really make or break the combat for me,  on one hand you have bosses like the Facility golems in Fusang which are incredibly boring (the only exciting thing about them is the rare chance of enemy players spicing things up) but on the other hand you have the end boss of Inferno which is a lot of fun.  I like the skill wheel.

• ZillenZillen Member Posts: 141

Originally posted by netentropy
    Let me just get this out of the way. I am in no way affiliated with Funcom. I am a 36 year old dude that loves MMORPGs and have not been challenged or loved a game since Dark Age of Camelot and then FFXI. I was not going to even try TSW. I have been testing every game I could download lately and putting it down after an hour or so.I read MMORPG.com nightly trying to find a game. Everything gets bashed. I was bored. I had the money. I said why not and I haven't stopped playing since I purchased it. AMAZING and, more importently, FUN.You should give it a try.  

Kk.

Could you provide any particular reasons? I'm not bashing your enjoyment; if you like a game, good for you. But stating that you picked it up and instantly were swept up doesn't exactly paint a vivid picture.

Graphics? Story? Community? A bit of enhanced reasoning would be better in future posts. But once again: its good to know that you like it. :)

I'm really sick of the whole "There's a massive fanbase for X", or "Y would be a WoW-killer if it just had a chance".

There is no massive conspiracy waiting in the MMO playerbase.

There are no "sleeper-agent fans" waiting to convert once the X or Y is unleashed on the world.

• PKJackCrowPKJackCrow Member Posts: 231

So i think i will give this game a go tonight. I was on the fence for awhile and then decided i was going to let this one go by but after ready about the feature more in depth i am alot more interested now. More flexible skills, slightly harsher death penalty, consequences for your actions as far as skills? sign me up. Plus if the atmosphere and story is as good as people say it is, then all the better. The one thing that has surprise me is even though there is still a few hater vs fanbois threads going on, i almost feel that its not as bad as some other games and that some real good quality reviews are being done by players and staff. Hope to see you in game in a few hours

• BhorzoBhorzo Member Posts: 192
    Originally posted by Draemos
    Originally posted by zeropride
    Originally posted by mindw0rk
    Originally posted by mindw0rk

The best MMORPG since WoW. And this comes from die hard MMO vet who played everything.

Big props to Funcoms that they made something fresh and unique instead of throwing another clone.

Unfortunately the actual gameplay sucks.  Presentation gets an A though.

Ive played whole night today and couldnt make myself out of screen even for bathroom. So yeah, tell me about how gameplay "sucks"

The combat is crap.  Game over.

and pretty much every mmo game has a shitty cliche story and quests except TSW. Cant have it all.

If i'm picking between good combat and quests/story, I'm picking combat.

Who plays MMORPGs for the combat? Can't tell if you're serious or joking....

Personally, I've been playing the game for 3+ weeks. It's great! Best themepark MMORPG I've ever played. Tons of content, great stories, great exploration, and I'm loving the Sherlock Holmes style mytery/puzzle quests that require you to go out-of-game to get the info to solve. I also love the Guild Wars 1 deck system that they use... but it's even better than GW1 since there are no classes and no class restrictions

Combat is not at all like it was 3 weeks ago when I started, but is significantly better. Animations have finally been improved as well. Graphics are amazing. Never thought I'd ever have fun in an MMORPG again until I got this. $50 is a reasonable price. You can get hundreds of items of clothing in-game, so I'm not sure why people are complaining about a cash shop that sells some extra clothing. And if they provide $15/month worth of content updates to the game, then I have absolutely no issue paying $15/month for more of their content! Content is the best I've ever played in an MMORPG! (But it's a little premature to decide if a sub fee is worth it since the game came out 3 days ago, and we have no idea who frequently they will update the game.)

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964
    Originally posted by rojo6934
    Originally posted by eyelolled
    Originally posted by bcbully

The payment model is the only thing they have to bash the game with now. This makes me happy image

what about the utterly crap character design, boring combat, and game design that propetuates FOTM builds?  Did those problems suddenly disappear?

they claim its a classless game. Then they show up with a bunch of decks (classes) killing their on claimin on the process.

I wouldnt mind buying the game. I do like it, but the major problems i have with it are the subscription, combat, animations. If i buy the game ill stop playing the 30th free day and uninstall it to never see it again until it goes F2P.... EDIT: which makes me think, why not save the cash instead.

Honestly with this type of attitude going into the game, why even play it. You claim to like it, but dislike it meaning your on the fence and does the bad outweigh the good or vise versa when choosing to play TSW.

You should know also the decks are their to help you get going if your overwhelmed in what class you want to build. The game doesn't require you to play their decks, this is strictly up to you.

Anyways if your thinking of playing TSW only for a month, well I hope you get your moneys worth, mmo's to me are about spending a least a few months in and maybe more since I come from a older generation of mmo players. 

Waiting for a F2P system in TSW is a waste of time ,<imo> and barking about it won't bring it in next month. I hope most QUALITY mmo's stay away from the F2P system model, if they do go F2P, I hope they still retain a monthly fee for players that want the full blown mmo, not certain area restrictions when it comes to their mmo choice and pop up ads all over the game.

• AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615

Saving my money on this one. Tried it in Beta, just didn't like the layout. I prefer to wait for 8/28/12 when the New King of MMOs will be released. (IMO) :)

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• silvermembersilvermember Member UncommonPosts: 526
    Originally posted by Jessina

Saving my money on this one. Tried it in Beta, just didn't like the layout. I prefer to wait for 8/28/12 when the New King of MMOs will be released. (IMO) :)

WoW really? I am as big of a fan of guild wars 2 but come on, why would you go to another game's forum and say something like that? Don't get me wrong gw2 is a great game but, my god really? you are gonna be posting that on ather games forum?

Back on topic,

Paying 60 bucks to try out a game you don't know a thing about is a bad idea. I pre-purchase guild wars 2, but I did so knowing that even if it was the worst game ever made I was gonna play it just to get over it (after waiting for years). To me, i feel that TSW has this "f2p in 6-12 months" written all over it, not because it a bad game, I haven't actually played it, but because the game's driving point is story which is fine for a single player game, but when you include a 60 dollar + 15 bucks a month, it dramatically changes things. Unless the game has a constant amount of content, but I doubt it will be able to sustain it for a long time.