Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why Elder Scrolls Online won't work

Comments

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by GTwander
    Originally posted by Fearum

No, not really. Looks like you just like to rage out. This game is set 1000 years before the first elder scrolls game.

~and yet the events never existed until they started making this thing.

How can you say it's ok to reverse engineer a major part of the world's history like that? You make George Lucas' constant meddling look tame ffs.

You do realise that this is a fantasy game right? Fantasy is made up.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

No, not really. Looks like you just like to rage out. This game is set 1000 years before the first elder scrolls game.

How can you say it's ok to reverse engineer a major part of the world's history like that? You make George Lucas' constant meddling look tame ffs.

Bioware did the same thing with TOR and many others do the same.

I Dunno if I like it that much since I feel that the story feels less important that way for some reason....

But it is a lot better than doing what many others do and rewrite the history and pretend it always was like that. Blizzard North did it with Diablo 2 to mention one game that did it but there are plenty of them.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

I did a little spying in your post history and found you ARE a DAoC vet and even said you hopped games looking for a fresh taste of 3-faction and RvR PvP. Why do I even bother arguing with you?

/hypocrite

This whole section is just DAoC vs TES. Why don't you just play the original ffs?

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

I did a little spying in your post history and found you ARE a DAoC vet and even said you hopped games looking for a fresh taste of 3-faction PvP. Why do I even bother arguing with you?

/hypocrite

I doubt your into following lore, you don't seem like that type of person. So don't hide behind lore for your argument. You ran out of anything to argue about, so your gonna use that as a cop-out. Haha

I doubt your into following lore, you don't seem like that type of person. So don't hide behind lore for your argument. You ran out of anything to argue about, so your gonna use that as a cop-out. Haha

I am a scholar in all things Elder Scrolls, but the fact of the matter is that I know why you keep wanting to argue over it.

Have fun playing DAoC 2, and holding onto Firor's pocketlining.

/wankmotion

I am a scholar in all things Elder Scrolls, but the fact of the matter is that I know why you keep wanting to argue over it.

Have fun playing DAoC 2, and holding onto Firor's pocketlining.

/wankmotion

You can claim to be a scholar of anything you want, this is a internet forum. I'am looking forward to the 3 faction PvP, exploring the world, crafting (which they havent released anything yet) and the main storyline quests in the world of Elder Scrolls. DAoC was great, but it's not now.

• TGSOLTGSOL Member Posts: 274

To me, making ES strictly third-person with hot-bar combat is like making Diablo an FPS. It just doesn't make sense.

"First-person real-time action combat" is a fundamental aspect of what makes the series what it is, in the same way that a third-person isometric camera angle and focus on loot collection are defining aspects of what make Diablo what it is.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

What's funny is most of the things that the OP is talking about, actually used to be fairly staple MMO features. Exploration speficially, used to be what MMOs are all about.

All 3 points are definitely doable, but they won't be doable in the same way as skyrim did them. So, yes, it will be a completely different game. However, that doesn't mean they can't pull it off, I believe it's possible, they just need to take that same idea / feel and encapsulate it in a different way.

Exploration: Open world dungeons, puzzles, and explorable areas are definitely doable. GW2 is accomplishing this already.

Lack of instancing: This is most likely not possible. However, there are ways to 'hide' the loading to make it less obtrusive. Some games do this by basically having you enter a void, or a dark area, and it kinda loads as you are going through it, so it appears seamless even tohugh it isn't. Regardless, Skyrim has LOADs of instances, I'm not sure what the OP is talking about. The wide open world (that takes a while to travel around w/ out warping to waypoints) does make it feel non-instanced, but every dungeon, crypt, portal, all were instances with loading screens.

Interaction with People: Again, GW2 is doing this right now, so it's possible. It's all in how you approach your design to the game. I've heard that TESO may actually be borrowing a lot of these mechanics from GW2 for their own MMO. If it's true, then they very well might be able to pull of an elder scrolls MMO that feels right. We simply don't know enough about the game yet, and they don't seem confident enough to show us much yet.

• busdriverbusdriver Member Posts: 859
    Originally posted by chryses

I have always been an Elder Scrolls fan dating back to Daggerfall.  Having hammered Skyrim all week, I can't see how the essential ingredients that make the series work, can be transferred into an online format.

1. Elder Scrolls is about exploring vast open landscapes that allows a player to get lost and find hidden dungeons, temples and interesting characters.
    Online - I don't believe they can create a massive world with little or no instances.  Exploration doesn't feel right when 25 other players are stomping all over the same temple.

Darkfall has so massive world that you rarely see anyone, this was true even when there were actually people playing the game. Not a single instance.

2. Its realistic in the sense that you come across a lone NPC and you stalk them not knowing if they are friend/foe and assisting or just killing them if you wan't.
    Online - it will just be another spawn fest with multiple instances as everyone will be lining up to kill the same beast.

Migrating mobs. When you kill an NPC/mob, it spawns somewhere else. Also spawn points themselves could migrate. Darkfall was supposed to have this, but they didn't manage to pull it off. Lack of resources I think.

3. Its about complex combat, actual targeting and tactics. e.g. mid combat, swapping skills and spells whilst in pause mode. 
    Online - Fallen Earth is the closest I have seen to using this in an online format. Its clunky at best. Due to the bandwidth and mass appeal they need to generate, its going to end up auto targeting or a very rudimentary combat system.

Darkfall.

Who the hell uses pausemode?

I am not trying to flame on this game, but as a massive fan of the series, I can't see how an online version can capture the essence of the single player game.  Just making another 3 faction warfare cookie cutter in the ES world stinks of a quick money grab from box sales.  I know its synical but after SWtOR and a few other releases, its hard not to feel this way for this game IMO, shouldn't be turned into an MMO for so many reasons.

Some games are just not made for the MMO genre and I really feel this is one of them.

Truth is, the only reasons that stop a great TES MMO becoming a reality (instead of this piece of donkey shit) are lack of  talent, ambition and imagination. I wouldn't let this Firor guy design a game of solitaire, let alone a MMORPG.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

I wonder why isn't there any mention of Arena... Everyone's started with Daggerfall? :) Arena was a really good game, played it for a few months (true, Daggerfall looked better)

To the topic: I personally don't mind ESO, trying out new things not necessarily bad. (yep, GTwander, i tried FF: Tactics as well :) )  I will try ESO, and if I don't like it, I'll simply leave. It won't change anything in my relationship with Elder Scrolls, so why bother?

(sidenote: FF and FF: Tactics maybe not the perfect example, I think it's more like the C&C series and C&C Renegade, since the core gameplay elements are gonna change, if I red the infos correctly)

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

Here's the reason why The Elder Scrolls Online won't work : They're throwing everything that makes a TES game out the window, and make a completely different TES games, online, without even bothering to follow the lore and for the sake of making the game accessible to the MMO audience. 

They're using the TES IP, not because they wanted to make a TES MMO, but because they needed a popular IP to launch Zenimax Media in the MMO industry as well. Initially it was supposed to be a Fallout MMO but we all know how that turned out (hint: lawsuit) so what other popular IP do they have? TES.

TESO will not work. It will simply be yet another drop in the ocean of a tired industry that has dumbed down the genre for the sake of accessibility.  The hype for TESO is already low as is, it will not stand to compete against any other major upcoming titles and even unannounced ones.

• KingGatorKingGator Member UncommonPosts: 428

If the game is good it will make it and the ocean of hate spewed by people who are made becasue its not an fps game, or more to the point skyrim online, isn't going to change that if it happes. I've read some of the things they're doing, and I think if the content is good this game has a shot at success. As I said earlier, the hissy fits being thrown by TES fans alone has me rooting for this game. DAOC was a a great game until TOA. If this turns out to basically be DAOC 2 it will appeal to a certain set of players and those players are going to support it. 

I look forward to reading post like "OMG how can this game be succesfful its not skyrim online" ........its gonna make for some highly entertaining reading. Nothing is more amusing than butt hurt fanboys.

Originally posted by KingGator

If the game is good it will make it and the ocean of hate spewed by people who are made becasue its not an fps game, or more to the point skyrim online, isn't going to change that if it happes. I've read some of the things they're doing, and I think if the content is good this game has a shot at success. As I said earlier, the hissy fits being thrown by TES fans alone has me rooting for this game. DAOC was a a great game until TOA. If this turns out to basically be DAOC 2 it will appeal to a certain set of players and those players are going to support it. 

I look forward to reading post like "OMG how can this game be succesfful its not skyrim online" ........its gonna make for some highly entertaining reading. Nothing is more amusing than butt hurt fanboys.

The issue isn't that it's not "Skyrim Online", Skyrim is only one of the 5 games from the TES serie. Bethesda has been working on building a very strong  IP and lore since 1994. TESO throws away the vast majority of what made the TES serie what it is today, and not just from a gameplay perspective. TESO is simply an MMORPG using  the TES IP to push itself onto the MMO industry. Call it DAOC 2 if you want, you're just proving the point that TESO is not a TES game. Let Firor make his DAOC 2 and have fun, but if they're sacrificing features for accessibility, just don't come in expecting the game to be DAOC pre-TOA.

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722
    Originally posted by Po_gg

I wonder why isn't there any mention of Arena... Everyone's started with Daggerfall? :) Arena was a really good game, played it for a few months (true, Daggerfall looked better)

To the topic: I personally don't mind ESO, trying out new things not necessarily bad. (yep, GTwander, i tried FF: Tactics as well :) )  I will try ESO, and if I don't like it, I'll simply leave. It won't change anything in my relationship with Elder Scrolls, so why bother?

(sidenote: FF and FF: Tactics maybe not the perfect example, I think it's more like the C&C series and C&C Renegade, since the core gameplay elements are gonna change, if I red the infos correctly)

Arena wasn't as widely available as daggerfall was when it got released. Yes Daggerfall was my first TES game as well.

C&C series is also a bad example. C&C was an RTS series where Renegade got turned into an FPS, which is a completely different genre. TES games are RPG and turning thatseries into a MMO doesn't remove that. It still falls into the RPG genre. 

And to those that keep preaching DOAC. You are not going to get a new DOAC like the SWG fanboys won't get a new SWG. So just drop it and move on instead of being bitter old farts. Or simply start playing DOAC again.

Originally posted by Connmacart

And to those that keep preaching DOAC. You are not going to get a new DOAC like the SWG fanboys won't get a new SWG. So just drop it and move on instead of being bitter old farts. Or simply start playing DOAC again.

If anything, I'm a bitter old fart over the whole issue here.

The DAoC fans are just a bunch of pot-stirring, dancing monkeys that are enjoying our defeat.

• FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616

Its an MMO....NOT a single player game......so what about hoards of people finding stuff.

Originally posted by Connmacart
    Originally posted by Po_gg

Arena wasn't as widely available as daggerfall was when it got released. Yes Daggerfall was my first TES game as well.

C&C series is also a bad example. C&C was an RTS series where Renegade got turned into an FPS, which is a completely different genre. TES games are RPG and turning thatseries into a MMO doesn't remove that. It still falls into the RPG genre. 

It sounds like we're going to, which is what has you up in arms apparently.............

[mod edit]
  • chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453

This might sound a little pedantic but one of the many things the Elder Scroll series did which I absolutely love are the NPC scripting to make them interactive in different settings.  No more seeing the same person selling armour standing in the same position 24 hours a day. 

Its personally a pet hate of mine in most MMO's and single player games, how the immersion is lost with people just standing around staring into space.  Its like being in the movie, 'bodysnatchers'. 

ES's brings life to the world as people get up and eat breakfast, go to work, have lunch and wander home.  The whole concept of being able to break into their house or shop when they are out is very realistic.

It may not sound that important but all of these immersive affects makes ES what it is. 

I don't want the game to fail, I am not that spiteful, I am just looking at what would make it work and who would play it.  I just feel it will fall between the cracks like SWTOR.  Not good enough to please the ES fans, not good enough to attract new ones.

(GW2 has some decent scripting in the cities and I was very pleased to see dialogue and movement of NPC's. Its not so stale!)

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Originally posted by chryses

I have always been an Elder Scrolls fan dating back to Daggerfall.  Having hammered Skyrim all week, I can't see how the essential ingredients that make the series work, can be transferred into an online format.

1. Elder Scrolls is about exploring vast open landscapes that allows a player to get lost and find hidden dungeons, temples and interesting characters.
    Online - I don't believe they can create a massive world with little or no instances.  Exploration doesn't feel right when 25 other players are stomping all over the same temple.

2. Its realistic in the sense that you come across a lone NPC and you stalk them not knowing if they are friend/foe and assisting or just killing them if you wan't.
    Online - it will just be another spawn fest with multiple instances as everyone will be lining up to kill the same beast.

3. Its about complex combat, actual targeting and tactics. e.g. mid combat, swapping skills and spells whilst in pause mode. 
    Online - Fallen Earth is the closest I have seen to using this in an online format. Its clunky at best. Due to the bandwidth and mass appeal they need to generate, its going to end up auto targeting or a very rudimentary combat system.

I am not trying to flame on this game, but as a massive fan of the series, I can't see how an online version can capture the essence of the single player game.  Just making another 3 faction warfare cookie cutter in the ES world stinks of a quick money grab from box sales.  I know its synical but after SWtOR and a few other releases, its hard not to feel this way for this game IMO, shouldn't be turned into an MMO for so many reasons.

Some games are just not made for the MMO genre and I really feel this is one of them.

1 - this is exactly how older mmos worked, this has been done many times in a mmo, TWO of thoose mmos the devs of TES come from.

2 - depends how big the world is, depends on how many players they let into each world, depends on their kill credit rules

3 -  both standard mmo combat AND tes combat post morrowind with the console orientated UI are cumbersome and unweildly.  I hope they come up with something better.  Something designed for playing on a pc rather than a console would be a start,

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Originally posted by MadnessRealm
    Originally posted by KingGator

The issue isn't that it's not "Skyrim Online", Skyrim is only one of the 5 games from the TES serie. Bethesda has been working on building a very strong  IP and lore since 1994. TESO throws away the vast majority of what made the TES serie what it is today, and not just from a gameplay perspective. TESO is simply an MMORPG using  the TES IP to push itself onto the MMO industry. Call it DAOC 2 if you want, you're just proving the point that TESO is not a TES game. Let Firor make his DAOC 2 and have fun, but if they're sacrificing features for accessibility, just don't come in expecting the game to be DAOC pre-TOA.

some sort of melding of daoc and tes - taking the best of both would actually make a really good mmo imo (not necessarily in the tes universe)

unfortunately it looks like they are entering a wowifictaion phase with talk fo battlegrounds and arena and various other instanced bollox.

Originally posted by ShakyMo

some sort of melding of daoc and tes - taking the best of both would actually make a really good mmo imo (not necessarily in the tes universe)

unfortunately it looks like they are entering a wowifictaion phase with talk fo battlegrounds and arena and various other instanced bollox.

I actually don't hate the idea of an Arena if it was handled similarly to Oblivion's arena. That's something that I'd find interesting to see an MMO do. You'd have spectators and be able to bet on participants, have the yellow team releasing "3 argonian prisoners" or a bosmer with his magical dagger Shimmerstrike!

I'm just messing around here, but it'd be interesting to see something along those lines in an MMO format (with teams runned preferably by players rather than pre-made factions). I mean, you could have weekly tournaments set at a specific time, and whatnot. Basically just creating a weekly event that can bring players together. It's an activity, not something you grind, but something you'd participate in to prove yourself or simply to watch (could have some bonuses for the champion). Unlike WoW's PvP, you wouldn't be grinding it (because there is nothing to grind), and it doesn't happen often enough (only weekly) to be the only type of PvP that players would partake in. 

I don't even know why I wrote all of this...really would like to see an MMO do this though.

• p_c_sousap_c_sousa Member Posts: 620
    Originally posted by Ryowulf

The mmo will be Elder Scrolls in name only. We have been told this all ready.

Its not Skyrim Multi-player. Its an mmo with Elder Scroll place/faction/etc names

THIS

• chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453
    Originally posted by MadnessRealm
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

I actually don't hate the idea of an Arena if it was handled similarly to Oblivion's arena. That's something that I'd find interesting to see an MMO do. You'd have spectators and be able to bet on participants, have the yellow team releasing "3 argonian prisoners" or a bosmer with his magical dagger Shimmerstrike!

I'm just messing around here, but it'd be interesting to see something along those lines in an MMO format (with teams runned preferably by players rather than pre-made factions). I mean, you could have weekly tournaments set at a specific time, and whatnot. Basically just creating a weekly event that can bring players together. It's an activity, not something you grind, but something you'd participate in to prove yourself or simply to watch (could have some bonuses for the champion). Unlike WoW's PvP, you wouldn't be grinding it (because there is nothing to grind), and it doesn't happen often enough (only weekly) to be the only type of PvP that players would partake in. 

I don't even know why I wrote all of this...really would like to see an MMO do this though.

Like any idea if it was done well then it would be great.  Personally I would like to see the Oblivion format but players pay money to take on another player at the same level.  That way people are losing or gaining cash. Maybe weapons even

• AdamaiAdamai Member UncommonPosts: 476
    The problem guys is not that elder scrolls won't work online !! But because those of you that love elderscrolls only know the wow online format so your imagination is limited to. That kind of format. Wow is a crap mmo! Elderscrolls online would make an awesome sandbox! You need to ditch your whole idea of dungeon running becaus that's what wrecks mmos! Instead think massive player run factions building their own fortresses farming mining cutting wood and crafting all the games items and then a vast and indepth politics created by player run factions !!!! All you have to do is say no more to the hand holding bullshit that npc quest givers have brought to the mmo genre.