Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

free to play, pay to die

Bushi131Bushi131 Member Posts: 62

Apparently it seem that the game is free to play, however when dying (getting frag by another player) when wearing end game armor will cost around $0,25 to repair the armor.

I didn't plan to play the game, because SOE anyway, it is in many way doom to aggravate the players.

But this is magical how the industry pull rabbit out of their asses, after Diablo 3 you buy the game you work for them, the next gen scam is apparently you don't buy the game but killing ennemy make you work for them as well.

It's not even disapointing but it's becoming ridiculous.

It has nothing to do with the game, the game looks great, with a good concept, etc... but this is a gameplay changer, you die you pay, welcome camping, passive defense and nobody trying to get out of the base.

Edit: This information was heard on inside gaming a couple of weeks ago. Not confirmed yet, still looking for the link.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9D0900EF7B7CAA99&feature=plcp

Comments

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071

Apparently people on this site love to post information without any links to prove what they say has any iota of truth to it because they dislike a developer.

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

Do you have a link to this? The only stuff I've seen that is paid for is cosmetic so far, cammo etc. They said there will be carefully balanced weapons too but I've seen nothing about repairs.

Edit 1: The reason this doesn't make sense is because engineers have the ability to repair armour in-game.

Edit 2: End Game Armour? Ok it's class based, Light Scout, Heavy Assault, Max etc. The armour changes between classes but that's all. There's no greens, blues, epics etc. What exactly is "End Game Armour"? What "End Game"?

This post is making less sense the more I read it.

• Sora2810Sora2810 Member Posts: 567

Do I hate SOE? I did. SOE has made some great errors, but my hatred has moved onward towards others, cough, ea, cough. SOE may have made a giant boo-boo with SWG, and MXO, but they didn't screw up the original planetside (BFR's excluded). They still have a large playerbase for EQ's. 

SOE is bringing back vanguard as F2P; they are making better choices now. I have faith. PS2 will be great.

Since, I can't tell if your information towards $0.25 for armor repair is true; I have to comment on if it is. That system will not last. Don't worry, theres no economical way that could last. Maybe something close to BLR (Blacklight Retribution) which allows you to assemble guns and pay with in-game cash or real cash to hasten your advancement, but no sucessfull F2P will ever make you pay, only encourage you too.

Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
    Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

• Axllow18Axllow18 Member UncommonPosts: 400

How does one pay to repair armor in a game without degrading armor?

I am confused, did you just make this up and post it to troll or are you simply stupid?

• tollboothtollbooth Member CommonPosts: 298

Are you sure you didn't mix up your rumor's with dust 514.  I'm pretty sure that 514 is the game where that rumor was born anyway.  The only way to allieviate the cost of end game armour in 514 was to either pay money or have backers from EVE.

• demiqusdemiqus Member Posts: 14
    Originally posted by Bushi131

Apparently it seem that the game is free to play, however when dying (getting frag by another player) when wearing end game armor will cost around $0,25 to repair the armor.

I didn't plan to play the game, because SOE anyway, it is in many way doom to aggravate the players.

But this is magical how the industry pull rabbit out of their asses, after Diablo 3 you buy the game you work for them, the next gen scam is apparently you don't buy the game but killing ennemy make you work for them as well.

It has nothing to do with the game, the game looks great, with a good concept, etc... but this is a gameplay changer, you die you pay, welcome camping, passive defense and nobody trying to get out of the base.

misinformation abound here

1- There is no 'end game' and therefore no 'end game armor'

2- There is no repair costs, period. Engineers repair for free, you can respawn after death with new armor for free. You go to a term, change class and get fresh armor again for free.

3-There is a resource cost for selecting max units and vehicles, but resources are in game and acquired by your faction gaining ground. No sc required at all, ever, for this. Passive defence and nobody trying to get out of a base is useless because of the resource system.

4-The only things you will be paying for, and completely optional , is xp boosts for x time , certain weapon unlocks (which you will be able to unlock anyway in game but might take you longer in time to get) but nothing OP , and cosmetic alterations . Sidegrades, not upgrades!

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735
    Originally posted by tollbooth

Are you sure you didn't mix up your rumor's with dust 514.  I'm pretty sure that 514 is the game where that rumor was born anyway.  The only way to allieviate the cost of end game armour in 514 was to either pay money or have backers from EVE.

Yeah.. it's DUST 514 that you do not "repair" your armor, you loose it on death, just like in EVE and you can either buy "best gear" for 0.25$ or you can spend in game cash, and if you play for one of EVE corporations they will shower you with EVE money.

• Bushi131Bushi131 Member Posts: 62

I'm looking for the link, I heard it from Inside Gaming on their youtube Channel, sometime ago.

I should have reported it when I saw it.

I'll find the link hopefully.

• KemerosKemeros Member Posts: 19

So this thread needs to be edited by mod or deleted. This is utter and  complete misinformation. Like others in this thread said before, there is no such thing as end game content in ps2. The game is meant to throw you back in combat asap unless you need to modify your stuff.

Charging real cash because people die? Who in their right mind would do that?

• AvatarBladeAvatarBlade Member UncommonPosts: 757

Preety sure this payment model (rumour or true, no idea) is related to DUST 514 and not PS2. Thread should be moved.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by Asheram

Apparently people on this site love to post information without any links to prove what they say has any iota of truth to it because they dislike a developer.

Yup.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• KhayotixKhayotix Member UncommonPosts: 231

Inside gaming from a few weeks ago about PS2 was at E3, and they state beyond any doubt, Real money for camo's and decals, in game currency for power and everything else. So False accusations, you heard wrong, or interpereted wrong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsbXISt3qRE

• MattVidMattVid Member Posts: 399

I find that hard to believe ... source please? Or maybe Blizzard, Activision, EA and SOE merged recently? ;)

• WoopinWoopin Member UncommonPosts: 1,012
    Originally posted by Bushi131

Edit: This information was heard on inside gaming a couple of weeks ago. Not confirmed yet, still looking for the link.

100% Bullshit :)

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130
    Originally posted by Saryhl

Inside gaming from a few weeks ago about PS2 was at E3, and they state beyond any doubt, Real money for camo's and decals, in game currency for power and everything else. So False accusations, you heard wrong, or interpereted wrong.

Well im not going to get into what the OP is talking about, but I will say something on this.. Real money will be able to buy EVERYTHING ingame..  Sure you can get it with real currency but I know for a fact you will be able to buy weapons atleast with station cash (SC) as well...

The devs are just neglecting to let people know this...

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by Tinybina

Well im not going to get into what the OP is talking about, but I will say something on this.. Real money will be able to buy EVERYTHING ingame..  Sure you can get it with real currency but I know for a fact you will be able to buy weapons atleast with station cash (SC) as well...

More bullshit.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• KniknaxKniknax Member UncommonPosts: 576

I think "fact" means something different than you think it does.

Apparently it now means "in my opinion based on the thoughts in my head"  rather than "confirmed and accurate truth".

"When people don't know much about something, they tend to fill in the blanks the way they want them to be filled in. They are almost always disappointed." - Will Wright

• seanfitzsseanfitzs Member Posts: 14

Another person who did not check out what they are saying.

If you follow planetside on twitter, facebook or any fansite you would know that the deves have said you can buy weapons in the cash shop many times, what they also said was how this works and it is this.

As an NC player my weapons that I get for free will fire less bullets but will do more damage, the TR will fire more bullets but do less damge per bullet.

So if I like the NC guns mostly but would prefer one to be a TR type gun I can purchase a gun that will fire more but do less damage, it will not fire as rapidy as TR but will do slighty more damge thus keeping the NC theme but it lets me ajust my gun to my play style.

You cannot buy a gun with better stats you have to give something up to get the extra you want.

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

I think the OP should post a retraction, learn from the mistake & the thread locked/deleted.

Posting opinions is all well & good but outright misinformation is an outright stupid thing to do.

• dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578

SOE used to be my most hated publisher but they have managed to get competitive again and have impressed me here lately and they are no longer on my "dont bother" list..

Im looking forward to ps2 and watch it fairly closely and am pretty sure the OP is dead wrong...

Playing GW2..

• seanfitzsseanfitzs Member Posts: 14
    Originally posted by dageeza

SOE used to be my most hated publisher but they have managed to get competitive again and have impressed me here lately and they are no longer on my "dont bother" list..

Im looking forward to ps2 and watch it fairly closely and am pretty sure the OP is dead wrong...

I just googled dust 514 repair cost and found loads of articles from the devs of that game that say it will cost you $0.24 if you die, but it is not for repairs it is for insurance on the gear. You buy copies to replace yours if you die.

In dust you apprently lose all your gear when you die.

So OP got the wrong game and the wrong reason for the cost, he did get the dying part right so not all bad lol.

Here is one article

• MalasorteMalasorte Member UncommonPosts: 56
    Originally posted by dageeza

agreed and hope they manage to keep the game clean of hackers

as for this thread ... the OP clearly posted this to get threads without looking where he is posting ... screw dust 514 lol PS2 ftw aka vanu ftw :)

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527
    Originally posted by tollbooth

Even though I'm under NDA for DUST ....what you stated about DUST is not true , and that's all I'll say about that.

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130
    Originally posted by seanfitzs

If you follow planetside on twitter, facebook or any fansite you would know that the deves have said you can buy weapons in the cash shop many times, what they also said was how this works and it is this.

As an NC player my weapons that I get for free will fire less bullets but will do more damage, the TR will fire more bullets but do less damge per bullet.

So if I like the NC guns mostly but would prefer one to be a TR type gun I can purchase a gun that will fire more but do less damage, it will not fire as rapidy as TR but will do slighty more damge thus keeping the NC theme but it lets me ajust my gun to my play style.

You cannot buy a gun with better stats you have to give something up to get the extra you want.

I don't know what im talking about yet your the one talking about sidegrades which I am not refering to..

Im talking about the fact that all the weapons which are not free btw because you have to earn ingame currency to purchase most them. Will also be aviable to be purchased with SC (Station Cash) cash which is the currency you can spend real life money on... 

But im done aruging with you people about this.  You will see soon.

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• WoopinWoopin Member UncommonPosts: 1,012
    Originally posted by seanfitzs

I don't know what im talking about yet your the one talking about sidegrades which I am not refering to..

Im talking about the fact that all the weapons which are not free btw because you have to earn ingame currency to purchase most them. Will also be aviable to be purchased with SC (Station Cash) cash which is the currency you can spend real life money on... 

But im done aruging with you people about this.  You will see soon.

Wrong again.

You can get a boost in resources used to buy weapons and good things we are talking small % boosts too. But you can earn them by empire and just playing.

SC will be used for COSMETIC stuff like skins etc.

Please do not post until you have any clue on what you are talking about anyone who follows Planetside 2 or follows PSU knows this.