Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

First of all,no lvls no class al all

124»

Comments

• rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035

you dont need to worry about apha builds if you use a ying/yang power structure in all skills. That is, to have a skill, you also need to have a deficiency related to that skill. i.e to weild fire magic gives you an innate weakness to cold. To wear platemail your ability to dodge is compromised....

there will always be a counter, if not multiple counters.

its not rocket science, and frankly sometimes i wonder if games developers have even ever played any games.

all that being said, i simply dare a developer to make a game with the following:

-forced first person view with FPS combat

-unique skill based (as above) (no fireball 4, no need  x skill to get y skill to get z skill.)

- barebones ui..everything displayed graphically or ingame. i.e a heart for health, aura for magic..etc..

-the only levels in the game are environmental ones. i.e dark places, high places, hot places...etc..

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

ALPHA BUILDS:

it is a problem in some skill based games (like Darkfall) but its by no means an inherit problem of skill based system themselves. There are only about a trillion different ways you can avoid the alpha build issue into your game.

done...now

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• TommiJyurroTommiJyurro Member Posts: 51

What is your point?  Everything you point out is common sense to anyone who has ever left their front door in RL, so it would naturally fit into the world of EVE, and anything that is skill based, such as something referred to as "Life" or "Existence."

Needing certain skills?  When you step out your front door, you need certain skills or you are pretty much useless.  This is a universal truth, so why shouldn't it apply to EVE?  If you need to fly a jet, can you just get into the cockpit and take off?  No.  However, all pilots need the skill and training pertinent to flying their respective craft, and also to utilize the weapons supported by their craft.  EVE online is, after all, a game about PILOTING spacecraft, so your assertion "Then because of the game you have to have those skills or you are pretty much a waste compaired to people that do." is simple commmon sense. 

You do realize that the whole argument you just put forth is akin to saying "When you go to school , you just look at a math book and learn the Pythagorean theorem.  Not really doing the math."  To which, I disagree.  There are people who do just what you say, and the majority of them stay in hi-sec and are no better or different from the min-maxers, true.  However, when you have a goal, learning how to get there is essential, ummm, in life as well as in EVE.  Now, for sites like Battleclinic that give fits for ships and EVEMON, etc,  so what?  No single fit truly works for everyone, even in mirrored situations.  People do have different styles of playing, and this is very evident in EVE where I kill people who have awesome(according to BC) fits and skills, but who do not know how to use their mods or their ships to their fullest advantage. 

Anything new here? Hmmm... Nope. o/

• TommiJyurroTommiJyurro Member Posts: 51
    Originally posted by Ausare
    Originally posted by TommiJyurro

I completely agree.  Classes and levels are more for the easy gamer who doesn't want to put mych effort into what their character is and for the min/max style gamer who wants to say "OOOOOHHH, look at my level 85 whatever-adin-er-ard!" at the end game.  Or, you can play a game that is end-game from start to finish if you have the cojones, no levels and the only thing keeping you from having the same "weapons" and "armor" as the guy who has beeen playing non-stop for three years is a bit of planning, a little time, and some ingenuity- yes, it actually requires you to think instead of jumping around in circles around a fountain.  Oh yeah, I play EVE.

Not really.  You just down load the right program put in what you want to fly and it tells you all the skills and how long to train it in Eve.  Not really rocket science.  Skill based is as flawed as level based.  AC had optimal builds, UO had optimal builds, and so does people's holy grail Eve.  You just go to websites and it tells you the skills to get to be viable for whatever you want to do.  Then because of the game you have to have those skills or you are pretty much a waste compaired to people that do.  The only thing a skill based system does is allow a single character to possible have alt builds the same as having separate character alts in a leveling game.

What is your point?  Everything you point out is common sense to anyone who has ever left their front door in RL, so it would naturally fit into the world of EVE, and anything that is skill based, such as something referred to as "Life" or "Existence."

Needing certain skills?  When you step out your front door, you need certain skills or you are pretty much useless.  This is a universal truth, so why shouldn't it apply to EVE?  If you need to fly a jet, can you just get into the cockpit and take off?  No.  However, all pilots need the skill and training pertinent to flying their respective craft, and also to utilize the weapons supported by their craft.  EVE online is, after all, a game about PILOTING spacecraft, so your assertion "Then because of the game you have to have those skills or you are pretty much a waste compaired to people that do." is simple commmon sense. 

You do realize that the whole argument you just put forth is akin to saying "When you go to school , you just look at a math book and learn the Pythagorean theorem.  Not really doing the math."  To which, I disagree.  There are people who do just what you say, and the majority of them stay in hi-sec and are no better or different from the min-maxers, true.  However, when you have a goal, learning how to get there is essential, ummm, in life as well as in EVE.  Now, for sites like Battleclinic that give fits for ships and EVEMON, etc,  so what?  No single fit truly works for everyone, even in mirrored situations.  People do have different styles of playing, and this is very evident in EVE where I kill people who have awesome(according to BC) fits and skills, but who do not know how to use their mods or their ships to their fullest advantage.

Anything new here? Hmmm... Nope. o/

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Ausare

You just down load the right program put in what you want to fly and it tells you all the skills and how long to train it in Eve. 

The problem is, Skills in EVE are not the same thing as Classes and Skills in other games.

What defines your role - class, skill build, is ship you fly and fittings, not skills you have trained so your argument does not apply well here.

EVE is very different in regards of "character progression" and therefore not comparable.