Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Europeans shafted again

RyshaRysha Member Posts: 11

So not only does the EU and UK subscription cost more than all other MMOs, but there are no EU servers too.

Over 150ms for EU, [mod edit]

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=36218

EDIT: Reasons why Europeans could feel shafted:

a) Europeans pay more, both compared to Americans and to European players in other MMOs.

b) Maintenance times will affect Europeans most and already started to.

c) Latency for Europeans is higher than mostly anyone else, and affects gaming for certain players, especially PvPers.

d) The physical location of the servers had been hidden until launch, with no official statement, and ended up hurting Europeans most.

Comments

• pupurunpupurun Member UncommonPosts: 561
    Originally posted by Rysha

So not only does the EU and UK subscription cost more than all other MMOs, but there are no EU servers too.

Over 150ms for EU, [mod edit]

I suppose the pshysical location of the TSW servers is the exact same for AOC......Norway?

I knew that i wouldn't conitnue subbing to any FC mmo since the last server merge of AOC when my ping went from 90 ms to 150-180 ms ....

So anyone in the EU being in the south is quite shafted, yes

• sagilsagil Member CommonPosts: 291

It's on US East Coast. Glad I didn't buy this game. :)

• RzepRzep Member UncommonPosts: 767

Im in Poland and my game is as smooth as smooth can get.

• korat102korat102 Member Posts: 313

Maybe you should try a tracert to the server and see if there's a problem somewhere along the way that your ISP could help sort out. I've played games on US servers for years and had very few problems.

Edit:--- Oh yes, I'm in the UK!

• ChtugaChtuga Member UncommonPosts: 116

I honestly have no issues with this...

I live in norway and I investigated my ping and I see 89-90 ms steady.

This isnt bad at all. If this was an FSP I might have seen it as an disadvantage yes....

But i do not know any reason to why this would affect my gameplay in any way in an mmo? 

edit: I have to add that I much prefer the 1 server opportunity this game has given! :) This is the right way to handle a mmo world, and every other game company has a huge lesson to learn from Funcom!

• elvenwolfelvenwolf Member UncommonPosts: 146

I am in the south of europe and i can play without lag, not sure where the servers are, but you can't go souther in europe then me and it goes smooth...

Maybe you have some problems with your ISP.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

If this is true then its surprising, as anything over 100 ms .. or even over 80 ms for that matter, is a pretty high latency, given modern technology etc, if its because there are no Euro located servers, then that would explain it, not sure i'd be too interested in trying to play a game in pvp mode on a USA server, the advantage is too much with the 'local' players, hopefully there are 'Euro' servers and this was just a glitch in picking the 'wrong server' by the OP... image

• pupurunpupurun Member UncommonPosts: 561
    Originally posted by Phry

....., the advantage is too much with the 'local' players....

This is so true....I mean check MW2 and 3...I shoot at an enemy first for 1-2 seconds but die...At the replay it shows I WAS SHOT FIRST! Ping is very crutial for pvp. No wonder most of top players in AOC are scandinavians since the server is located in Norway

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by elvenwolf

I am in the south of europe and i can play without lag, not sure where the servers are, but you can't go souther in europe then me and it goes smooth...

you can't change the laws of physics, latency is almost entirely dependent on location/distance between the 2 points, routing and packet loss can have some effect at peak times but, marginal ones at that, unless of course everyone in your neighbourhood suddenly decides to use all their bandwidth to download several gigs of data.. which is unlikely image

for most turn based MMO's like WoW etc, a latency of up to 240 ms isnt that crippling (just annoying) but if you intend to play in any PVP matches, it suddenly becomes a huge issue, where anything over 40 ms can represent a huge disadvantage, in terms of discrepency between local and distant players that is, games will often use predictive software to 'even the gap' but, in reality it doesnt really help much if at all. In real terms i'd say that anything over 100ms is probably too much, and find another server thats closer.image

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882

It matters a lot where the servers are located.

From Finland I get:

-15ms to server inside my own contry

-48ms to server in Germany

-129ms to server in USA East Coast

-199ms to server in USA West Coast

Funcom is adding 70ms to my ping compared to if they placed servers somewhere in Europe. Yet another reason why I should not buy this game.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Afaik ALL TSW servers are located in USA.  Which obviously sucks especially in PvP and it also can cause problems in raids.

I had awful lag spikes and latency spikes during big fights in raids in Lotro when EU servers moved to USA. 

Playing through big distance can be ok, for normal gameplay and small dungeons, but it frequently causes problems with combat that involve bigger amount of player and in even small sized pvp.

Just law of psysics.

I wonder if this is just only to decrease costs or have also something to do with 'single server technology'....

• AlexanderTDAlexanderTD Member Posts: 97

If servers are located in the same place where AOC's are then i always had 60ms for AOC so i guess it will be ok with TSW too.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Everything under 200ms is totally acceptable for a game like this, i dont see your point OP.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• elvenwolfelvenwolf Member UncommonPosts: 146

you can't change the laws of physics, latency is almost entirely dependent on location/distance between the 2 points, routing and packet loss can have some effect at peak times but, marginal ones at that, unless of course everyone in your neighbourhood suddenly decides to use all their bandwidth to download several gigs of data.. which is unlikely image

for most turn based MMO's like WoW etc, a latency of up to 240 ms isnt that crippling (just annoying) but if you intend to play in any PVP matches, it suddenly becomes a huge issue, where anything over 40 ms can represent a huge disadvantage, in terms of discrepency between local and distant players that is, games will often use predictive software to 'even the gap' but, in reality it doesnt really help much if at all. In real terms i'd say that anything over 100ms is probably too much, and find another server thats closer.image

I am glad i can't change the law of physics if i could, would be a bad thing, all that power and no wisedom behind it.

The fact remain i can play the same, maybe i am not an hardcore PvPer, but so far so good.

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735

Actually, it does depend a lot more on routing  than distance. Funny thing that is. If the ISP or Telia (for Europe) puts your connection through bad set of hops you have drastic increase in laten, even if the server you are trying to connect is ~500 km in straight line from you. 

Several years ago I had that problem with WoW. The server was in Frankfurt, Germany and i'm in Poland. Somewhere between my ISP, Telia and Blizzard servers was messed up so the latency was on average around 1k+ ms for weeks. Changing ISP, which also changed the routing, despite having same connection speed, lowered that latency to 40ms. 

Physics are all fine, but you can't forget that in EU all cross-country conneciton go through Telia's infrastructure and a connection usually goes about like that: your home->ISP local router->ISP outgoing router->several hops through Telia servers->destination country->destination ISP->destination server. Plenty of places along the way where something might go wrong. 

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

@Ezhae

Routing can make things better or worse, but even best routing won't get you under 100 ms from Poland to US.

Realistically it will be something like 120-160 ms depend where you live in Poland, how far from backbone, etc - of course if you're not living in rural area or something like that.

+ latency spikes are more prone to occur on long-distance connections.

While when servers are located in Germany, Netherlands or even UK - 25-40 ms is to be expected.

Having servers on other continent IS worse service. There is no doubt about it.

Only thing left to consider is that - if you care about it or not.

PS. Not all connections from EU to USA have to go through Telia.  Telia is pan-european telecom originating in Sweden and while many people connection can go through them it does not have to happen. I am from Poland as well and my connection rarely go through Telia judging on tracert I'v done in few games and random checks. (I am from southern Poland though, maybe that' s why).

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722

If all you do is PVE ping isn't that much of a factor. You don't need to worry about 100 to 120ms is fine for PVE. Anything above a 100 for PVP means don't bother. Ping is everything in PVP and even close to a 100 is already bad. So having the servers in one location for the entire world is just bad. It gives an unfair advantage to those that for one don't have to cross the pacific or the atlantic to reach the american continent.

As for the AoC servers those are not in Norway, unless they moved them, they are in the Netherlands.

• n3v3rriv3rn3v3rriv3r Member UncommonPosts: 496

Meh another reason not to sub again. I am thinking of putting Funcom on my black list along with EA, Cryptic and Frogster.

• DreddeDredde Member Posts: 28

Whats up with the lies from people not playing the game? I live in norway and got 50-70 ms.

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722
    Originally posted by Dredde

Whats up with the lies from people not playing the game? I live in norway and got 50-70 ms.

So because your ping is low other people must be lying... 

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812
    Originally posted by Rysha

Over 150ms for EU, nice one Failcom. 

Rysha, not sure if you live in the UK or not but just get better broadband speed and then you will get better connection speeds. I recently join a UK company who recenlty came on the market selling BT infinty 2 for £24.99pm but half the cost of BT as £44.50pm and now have sick speeds for PVPing 61meg upload and 24meg download speeds never had it so good for gaming I get to kill people now!!!

Here is the link to their site they do all utilities on a single bill I have change to use all there services even my mobile they are cool... Check out their Fibre Ultra here https://www.utilitywarehouse.co.uk/comms/index and if that link don't work here is the front page https://www.utilitywarehouse.co.uk/?exref=C10018 good luck with your connection speeds mate.

When you try to get the speeds checker make sure you put your home landline number with no gaps or it wont work and you only get one chance. You can use a gap on your post code though.

Bandit.

Asbo

• ButtskiButtski Member UncommonPosts: 187

and so it begins. muhahahahahahahaaaa.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Isn't Funcom a European company? So they screw their own customer base... nice.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    Originally posted by Dredde

They you must have really baddass internet connection. The distance between Norway and USA East Coast (I'm counting from Oslo to New York) is 5 900 km traveling on shortest possible route alond the earth's surface. The speed of light in optical fiber is around 200 000km/s. That means that the travel time of the signal must be about 60ms even if routing, amplifying, and curves in the network would cause no additional delay.

When you get ping of 50ms to USA east coast, I claim that either your ISP is breaking the laws of physic, or the latency calculator is set to intentionally display too low values.

EDIT: But Norway likely has good connection over the Atlantic, so ping of 70ms would already be believeable /EDIT

• m0ckm0ck Member Posts: 27

Has anyone actually experienced any problems/lag when playing the game? Playing from Europe, I know I haven't. [mod edit]