Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Never thought a MMO could repeat what Trion did with Rift launch

2»

Comments

• MadKingMadKing Member UncommonPosts: 173

Glad t hear this game launched without any major problems, I really enjoyed my time in the closed beta and I'm glad people are enjoying it. best Mmo to launch this year so far.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990
    Originally posted by Omnifish

Either were playing completely different clients or Ragnars on the forums again....:P

Even though I canceled my preorder three months ago, I can get in to this phase before offical release. Since yesterday personally I've crashed three times, plenty of quests in Kingsmouth are still buggy, (suicide quest, most of the church quests),  active dodging's animations bugs out. Also the hillarious graphics card bug seems to have appeared again, i.e. it incorrectly reads how much graphics memory you have so limits options.  

It's clear to me Fun.com are still the same old chizzle.  No tradepost, becasue they haven't got round to it yet.  Even less customisation options then was in the beta, but that's obviously a nod to the cash shop. Parts of the game working fine, others in dire need of fixing.

This is nothing like Rift's launch and I hate Rift.  Rift was an rather smooth launch, this is smooth for Fun.com but it's still a rushed out cash grap bugfest.  

What the hell? When was the last time you actually played? There are some bugged quests but they sure weren't the church ones or suicide one. Not for quite some time now.

Should have been less specific. Pretty much busted yourself out.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• daydreamerxxdaydreamerxx Member UncommonPosts: 178

I was a regular tester since the first beta phase began. No not the weekend betas but the full time beta. Seeing how the game grew each patch was impressive. From the content they added to the changes in zones, skills, equipment. A lot of placeholder material swapped for the final versions. How much better optimized the game became. It grew every patch. It was a great thing to experience.

The fact that the game features a 3 faction pvp system will keep pvpers in the game for awhile. The hybrid hotkey action mmo is nice to. Its not really action and mostly hotkey but enough small differences make a big change in combat. I find the combat very similar to guild wars 2 which is a great thing. Most importantly for me is the setting for the game. Modern Day with the supernatural twist and conspiracy theory story. All great points for me.

I have had a few issues with game crashes due to "out of memory" because of memory leaks. Hopefully it gets fixed pretty quickly. At the same time ive only completed about 1/5 of the quests in Kingsmouth so It is hard to judge buggy or not buggy for the entire game. But it has been pretty smooth compared to most mmo releases. I think the three best mmo releases for me have been Rift, Aion, and TSW. Star Wars and AOC being the most buggy. 

Sadly TSW isn't going to make a lot of sales and this will cause the game to be a free to play game by the end of the year or Q1 of next year. I love the game so far but I am being a realist. 

• Chrome1980Chrome1980 Member Posts: 511
    Originally posted by daydreamerxx

I was a regular tester since the first beta phase began. No not the weekend betas but the full time beta. Seeing how the game grew each patch was impressive. From the content they added to the changes in zones, skills, equipment. A lot of placeholder material swapped for the final versions. How much better optimized the game became. It grew every patch. It was a great thing to experience.

The fact that the game features a 3 faction pvp system will keep pvpers in the game for awhile. The hybrid hotkey action mmo is nice to. Its not really action and mostly hotkey but enough small differences make a big change in combat. I find the combat very similar to guild wars 2 which is a great thing. Most importantly for me is the setting for the game. Modern Day with the supernatural twist and conspiracy theory story. All great points for me.

I have had a few issues with game crashes due to "out of memory" because of memory leaks. Hopefully it gets fixed pretty quickly. At the same time ive only completed about 1/5 of the quests in Kingsmouth so It is hard to judge buggy or not buggy for the entire game. But it has been pretty smooth compared to most mmo releases. I think the three best mmo releases for me have been Rift, Aion, and TSW. Star Wars and AOC being the most buggy. 

Sadly TSW isn't going to make a lot of sales and this will cause the game to be a free to play game by the end of the year or Q1 of next year. I love the game so far but I am being a realist. 

No you are not being realistic because FC was never going to target masses like SWTOR and GW2. There goals in terms of subscriptions is different. TSW doesn't need 500K to 1 million subs to survive, it is not that kind of MMO. I am not saying it won't go F2P but not in one year, sorry not happening.

TSW was always a niche game and niche games have better chance of survival with small dedicated subscriber base.

Originally posted by Chrome1980

No you are not being realistic because FC was never going to target masses like SWTOR and GW2. There goals in terms of subscriptions is different. TSW doesn't need 500K to 1 million subs to survive, it is not that kind of MMO. I am not saying it won't go F2P but not in one year, sorry not happening.

TSW was always a niche game and niche games have better chance of survival with small dedicated subscriber base.

They had some pretty lofty expectations for this game from what I recall. I remember a poster here putting up some statements they made about it and while I cannot remember specifics they seemed pretty unrealistic to me. I think the game is going to do well but what I would deem a game like this doing. Not so sure they may feel the same way.

I do agree that it won't go f2p in less than a year. Really I just hope the game does well enough that they fully support it and add regular updates to the game.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• DakirnDakirn Member UncommonPosts: 372

Last I checked in Kingsmouth there are 4-5 broken/weird/buggy quests out of what... 55? 60 quests? People remember the buggy ones but forget that there were tons of other ones without problems.. but that's generally how humans think.

I don't include puzzle quests that work perfectly fine that people can't figure out and assume are bugged (Something Wicked is bugged obviously though).

The statement of "lots of buggy quests" don't really hold water considering the number of buggy quests in Savage Coast I've seen so far have been 0.

So while it's fun to nit pick every game that you like and try to bloat numbers, the ones who are playing know what's up and are busy playing and having fun and not spending all their time trying to counter the negative feedback.

• GargolaGargola Member Posts: 356

Only issue, aside from the sometimes broken "something wicked" mission, i've seen is the initial delay in delivery from the cash shop (and due to this on preorder or other bonus items)  which has been likely due to everyone trying to claim at the same time.  I went in after work and a patch and so far haven't encountered any issue at all, well, at one point lag caused that some zombies hit me before i could see them, but so far it hasn't repeated.

It's not yet launch, officially, but so far, launch has been a success for FC.  Technically, economically i have no idea.

• KumateKumate Member Posts: 69
    Originally posted by Dakirn

Last I checked in Kingsmouth there are 4-5 broken/weird/buggy quests out of what... 55? 60 quests? People remember the buggy ones but forget that there were tons of other ones without problems.. but that's generally how humans think.

I don't include puzzle quests that work perfectly fine that people can't figure out and assume are bugged (Something Wicked is bugged obviously though).

The statement of "lots of buggy quests" don't really hold water considering the number of buggy quests in Savage Coast I've seen so far have been 0.

So while it's fun to nit pick every game that you like and try to bloat numbers, the ones who are playing know what's up and are busy playing and having fun and not spending all their time trying to counter the negative feedback.

Actually ...I just completed every quest in Kingsmouth except for the Men in Black.  It is paused at 4/4.  The rest of the quest work fine.  Some of then are hard..like the morsecode (had to use an App) but they all work.  I didn't experience any bugs.

Now there was 2 quest that where disabled in the zone ..that unless you played closed beta you never would know.  I just went to go pick them up any they werent there.  One of them I was the reason it is disabled because I found a huge exploit that allowed you to get unlimited sequins from it.  So glad they closed it or that would of be a major bug.  (it was the toilet quest..flushed away)

Savaged coast was flawless.  Zero bugs.  yes I just zoned into Blue Mountain and Im tired!.

As for TSW and RIFT launch?  Theres no comparsion...TSW is a ALOT smoother.  While the store was down on the TSW...ENTIRE servers where in 4-6 hour ques.  Some servers after the first 10 launched where fine, but those top 5 guilds had HUGE ques for the first 2 days.   People where EXTREMELY unhappy.  Also ..the aution house was disabled for around 6 hours on launch day because it wasn't giving people money correctly.  So in my opinion the secret worlds launch is way smoother.

Also only took me 30 minutes to get a petition response on launch day from Funcom.  They answered my question.

Anyone else who says otherwise might just not know how to complete the quest, they were meant to be hard. 

The devs have also stated (its on the launcher as well..so everyone can see it) that they will have the auction house up before official launch.  It is only early access....everyone got the intiate pack anyways...what do we really need to buy:P

• ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709

Especially not from Funcom..not even in my wildest dreams. Despite their horrible launches with AO and AOC..i have always admired FC's determination to  bring something new to MMO genre. They did it with AO which was ahead of it times and AOC with its combat which was beath of fresh air back in 2008.

But their horrible support, broken launches and buggy nature of releases always held them back from realising their full potential. Something that has now changed with TSW.

After Rift, TSW has been the smoothest launch for me. The only hiccup was trying to claim pre order bonus. Otherwise, i have zero problems in game and it runs smooth as silk.

I am out of Kingsmouth now and currently in savage coast, not a single broken quest or any game breaking bugs.

And for those who were at AOC launch....you know what happened once you were out of tortage? ahaha.

We can say that it is time to put AOC, AO horrible launch stories to rest now since it is clear that it is not the same and old Funcom we are dealing with here.

Two best launches in MMO genre (imo) Rift and Tsw. I never thought Funcom could do it.

My feelings after playing TSW...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eSN8Cwit_s

This is a wee bit premature, isnt it?

The Secret World has not officially launched yet.......

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

• Chrome1980Chrome1980 Member Posts: 511
    Originally posted by Byrhofen

Especially not from Funcom..not even in my wildest dreams. Despite their horrible launches with AO and AOC..i have always admired FC's determination to  bring something new to MMO genre. They did it with AO which was ahead of it times and AOC with its combat which was beath of fresh air back in 2008.

But their horrible support, broken launches and buggy nature of releases always held them back from realising their full potential. Something that has now changed with TSW.

After Rift, TSW has been the smoothest launch for me. The only hiccup was trying to claim pre order bonus. Otherwise, i have zero problems in game and it runs smooth as silk.

I am out of Kingsmouth now and currently in savage coast, not a single broken quest or any game breaking bugs.

And for those who were at AOC launch....you know what happened once you were out of tortage? ahaha.

We can say that it is time to put AOC, AO horrible launch stories to rest now since it is clear that it is not the same and old Funcom we are dealing with here.

Two best launches in MMO genre (imo) Rift and Tsw. I never thought Funcom could do it.

And what do you think is going to happen on 3rd? you think those who want to play TSW haven't pre order already and are playing right now? or you think all of a suddenly another 1 to 2 million players will magically appear crashing the servers?

• ArixtotleArixtotle Member Posts: 31
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly

They had some pretty lofty expectations for this game from what I recall. I remember a poster here putting up some statements they made about it and while I cannot remember specifics they seemed pretty unrealistic to me. I think the game is going to do well but what I would deem a game like this doing. Not so sure they may feel the same way.

I do agree that it won't go f2p in less than a year. Really I just hope the game does well enough that they fully support it and add regular updates to the game.

Actually, the financial statements show that their target scenario is about 500,000 subs.  That's not lofty in my opinion.

Originally posted by Arixtotle

Actually, the financial statements show that their target scenario is about 500,000 subs.  That's not lofty in my opinion.

The numbers that stood out to me and god I wish I knew where that was were overall sales and how much they were planning on bringing in from the cash shop. Both seemed very unrealistic. I wann says they were projecting initial sales of 1.5 million. Whatever the number was I almost fell out of my chair when I read them. Maybe the person that posted it before if they come across this can post it again.

500k is reasonable and about where I would put them at. That certainly wasn't the sense I got from them that was their goal.

• Shatter30Shatter30 Member UncommonPosts: 487
    Originally posted by Arixtotle

They wont ever hit that target

• FredomSekerZFredomSekerZ Member Posts: 1,156
    Originally posted by Byrhofen

And what do you think is going to happen on 3rd? you think those who want to play TSW haven't pre order already and are playing right now? or you think all of a suddenly another 1 to 2 million players will magically appear crashing the servers?

Actually, i belive most of the playerbases at launch don't pre-order. It's usually a smaller portion as far as i know. I may be wrong of course.

Originally posted by FredomSekerZ

Actually, i belive most of the playerbases at launch don't pre-order. It's usually a smaller portion as far as i know. I may be wrong of course.

Nah...I believe you're right. Kind of makes sense if you think about it. Considering FC's track record there were probably more than normal that even held off. Which since it appears their apprehension can be put to rest could make for an interesting first couple of weeks population wise for the game.

• BerikaiBerikai Member Posts: 162

I have to agree with op.Other than a couple minor things like the delay lastnight getting the preorder item's ingame,I've had no problems at all.Rift is the smoothest launch I took part in,but this one has been a close 2nd for me.Not a single crash and only had a couple minimal lag spikes lastnight because of so many people in one area.

I give it an A+ as far as release.

Rift was an A++ for me.

Now off to play :)

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Originally posted by FredomSekerZ

Seems that with MMOs, a surprisingly high percentage do pre-order.  Beta access, headstart, plus a few other little bonuses, and most people who are interested in the game, end up pre-ordering.  I've noticed this with the last few big MMOs, where they get slammed during headstart, but then there hasn't been much of a second wave, when the game launches.  Just a trickle of impulse buys, over the following month or two.

I'd also guess that the smaller the niche, the more true this is, as you tend to see a more dedicated core fanbase, and a less interested everyone else.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

As far as bugged quests go, we've encountered 5 so far.  We're almost done with Savage Coast (doing at least all the primary missions available there including investigation).  I'll try to go into details without spoilers.  These were confirmed as bugs BTW:

Something Wicked quest line 4/5.  Without spoiling it much it involves picking the correct order of Ravens.  The problem is, if someone messes up the order it ruins the quest for everyone and doesn't reset until a few hours (but if someone keeps messing with it, it will continually bug out).  You can tell the quest is bugged when their ravens stacked on top of each other at each position.

Men in Black Van 4/4.  Again, if someone messes up the order it bugs the quest for everyone.  Despite having the right order nobody was able to complete this quest.  It didn't reset after several hours.

3 of John's Quests in Savage Coast:  I don't remember the specific names of each of the quests, but one involves initiating into the League of Monster Slayers.  At one point you are asked to go through a shortcut (3/6 I believe) and at the end a certain MOB should spawn.  It didn't, even after waiting over an hour.  We did the quest just fine in beta.  We also tried doing the quest the next day and it was still bugged out.  Other people were waiting around with the same issue.  The next quest he gave bugged out at 2/6 where you are suppose to be ambushed by a group of zombies.  Again, this worked in beta and we waited at least 45 minutes and had no spawn.  We also noticed other people waiting around for the quest before giving up.  Finally, the last quest Black House (4/5 I think) bugs out when you are suppose to retrieve Ashes from her grave.  The Ashes do not spawn or are a very long (over 2 hour respawn timer).  We weren't able to do this quest in the beta either.

There are a lot of missions that could have used a bit more of a QA pass too.  Some are way too easily griefable and the spawn timers are way off (you'll be waiting around for upwards of an hour and there was a massive amount of people waiting around in one spot due to the poor design of some of these).  Sometimes objects won't be clickable and you'll have to run out of sight of the object to get it working again.  Doing missions with 2 people can be finnicky, most reward credit when one person completes it, but for some odd reason others do not and you'll have to wait on respawns for your party members to finish.

There are a lot of performance issues.  Disabling DirectX 11 fixes most, and the game remains stable.  I had weird issues with the game screwing my audio (even after closing the game out, it required a restart to fix) and we've had a few crashes here and there.  As long as we kept to DX9 the amount of crash bugs and other performance issues weren't really enough to complain over.

The launch itself was extremely stable.  No servers or noticable lag the entire time.  Funcom did an exceptional job on server stability.